Dragon Ball Super on Australian T.V. (ABC ME)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball Super on Australian T.V. (ABC ME)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Never thought this would happen, but Super is finally on Australian television! Here's Toei Animation's official tweet.

Episode 1 starts airing today on channel ABC ME at 2:45pm AEDT.

ABC ME have aired anime before. They air Sailor Moon Crystal and they used to air Sword Art Online and Naruto.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super on Australian T.V. (ABC ME)

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Never thought this would happen, but Super is finally on Australian television! Here's Toei Animation's official tweet.

Episode 1 starts airing today on channel ABC ME at 2:45pm AEDT.

ABC ME have aired anime before. They air Sailor Moon Crystal and they used to air Sword Art Online and Naruto.

Surprising, I though Channel 10 might pick it up like they did with Z back in the day. SBS also has anime shows every now and then. Pretty cool that's it's on TV here though, even though it's far behind.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 pm

I hope its a success!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:19 am

Just watched the first episode. Some interesting things to note:
- Both the opening and ending were shown in full and in Japanese.
- Unlike the US Toonami airings, they actually show the original NEP rather than doing their own thing.
- Because it's airing during the middle of the day, the dub was actually a censored version. I don't think we've ever heard this before. Mr Satan was called Hercule throughout the ep. The line about having "skin as soft as a baby's bottom" was cut. Roshi's line about getting "DVDs with dirty movies" was just changed to getting DVDs of regular movies. There were several other changes as well.
- There were no ad breaks, which was neat.

I hope the show does well. It's been a long ass time since Dragon Ball has been on Aussie TV. So glad that it's finally back.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am

They're actually doing the censored version? Bloody ABC perpetuating the nanny state, we can't defund it soon enough!*

*I'm joking, support your public broadcaster, kids.

Luckily Aussies can get the sub version on AnimeLab for free or pay a subscription for the uncensored dub, so we're not doing too bad.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 am

The neat thing about Super being on ABC ME is that now you can stream every aired episode on ABC iview!

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/dragon-ball-super

Each episode is available for free streaming after it airs on TV. They'll be available for a month.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:13 pm

So apparently this this the exact same version that aired in Africa earlier this year, the only exception being the credits are airing in Japanese as opposed to being in English. Also strange that he is still referred to as "Mr. Satan" in the credits as well. Hopefully ABC ME keeps uploading these episodes so we can make comparisons between the cut and uncut versions.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Hopefully somebody rips all these episodes so that they don't end up lost.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Looks like Super has also shown up in New Zealand. TVNZ has added a page with the first 16 episodes. It's tagged as TVNZ 2, so I guess it'll even show up on linear TV there. I couldn't find it on the schedule right now.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:29 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Looks like Super has also shown up in New Zealand. TVNZ has added a page with the first 16 episodes. It's tagged as TVNZ 2, so I guess it'll even show up on linear TV there. I couldn't find it on the schedule right now.
Premiered January 19, 2019 on TVNZ 2: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/content/dam/imag ... 218%20.pdf

This leaves Canada and the UK as the only major English-speaking markets without the show on TV. Not a big deal in this day and age, but still. :|
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.