What if the characters aged like athletes and got weaker over time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

What if the characters aged like athletes and got weaker over time?

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 pm

The characters are only getting stronger with age but would you prefer it if they didn't?

Like how boxers have their prime years before they stop being as good as they used. As Rocky said, 'Time takes everybody out, it's undefeated'.

I think it would be a good way to have villains who are stronger and have the character figure out other ways to win.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: What if the characters aged like athletes and got weaker over time?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 am

Hasn't that happened with Master Roshi, Krillin and Yamcha? You can say they're still good for a fight, but they're not the same as in their younger days, especially Roshi.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Hasn't that happened with Master Roshi, Krillin and Yamcha? You can say they're still good for a fight, but they're not the same as in their younger days, especially Roshi.

Sort of but Roshi was never young in the story any way besides flashbacks. The others didn't get weaker, they just got supurassed by the Saiyans. I would say Krillin is stronger than before.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:Hasn't that happened with Master Roshi, Krillin and Yamcha? You can say they're still good for a fight, but they're not the same as in their younger days, especially Roshi.

Sort of but Roshi was never young in the story any way besides flashbacks. The others didn't get weaker, they just got supurassed by the Saiyans. I would say Krillin is stronger than before.
I believe this. But I am glad they didn't got weaker, it will be really sad to see this because they will have a harder time to defeat the villain of the day and even fail at it.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm

It would be the stupidest thing ever and defeating the entire purpose of the characters being martial artists. Most of the charm is already ruined by characters retiring in their fucking 50's when that shouldn't even be a third of their lifespans, all the big breakouts the main characters get being from their Saiyan genes or potential unlocks and the fact Saiyans peak before their 80's.

It already hurts my mind that GT Krillin is depicted as a geezer older than Muten Roshi, when he is 3 times younger and surpassed him decades ago. Tenshinhan is the only character in any medium to truly depict the life of a fantastical martial artist and he is treated like a joke or weirdo most of the time.

This gets even more annoying in the context of modern Dragon Ball, being stuck in the pre EoZ gap because apparently the characters are too old by then. Toriyama needs to pull the head out of his ass and remember what kind of characters he's writing.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am

It'd make more sense if the focus shifted on the next generation, but even that has been extremely inconsistent. Goten and Trunks should be in their teens, yet still appear to be small children by this point. Pan has also exhibited no growth and should at least be a few years old by this point.

It would be interesting if the direction of the series became Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, and i'll even say Tienshinhan becoming masters to the next generation of Trunks, Goten, Uub, Pan, and Bulla. The focus being on their journey and the threats that arise during their time and how they handle things. With the "masters" only stepping in as the need arises. Instead, we've got God powers and are now getting to a point where even those are becoming irrelevant to the likes of beings that just suddenly came into existence as being these end all baddies (Jiren and Broly)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 pm

It's standard fare for superhero comics. Floating timelines, and the main heroes not aging unless they're specifically doing a story about that like Dark Knight Returns or Logan. Those are the exceptions, normally nobody wants to see Goku crick his back in the middle of a fight, the same way they don't want to see Bruce Wayne do it.