What was the point of Super Saiyan Rage?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: What was the point of Super Saiyan Rage?

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Y'all thinking too hard about this.

Toriyama's outlines obviously didn't have much for Trunks, so Toei gave him a transformation for the following reasons:

- Hype
- To please the fans
- Potentially merch (I could be wrong on this one, but I know the first two are definitely true).

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote: No, it actually made little thematic sense. Vegeta got a random power-up out of nowhere that has little explanation other then "vegeta broke his limits" because he thought about cabba. That's a very poor explanation and came across as an "asspull". It didn't show sh$t. I mean, ssj blue evolution has little explanation to what it is other then some antiquated contrived power-up to blue.

ssj rage was garbage too, why he got the power-up wasn't terrible... but the lack of explanation of what the form is and why trunks only got it makes it nothing but shallow fan service.
Way to strawman bro smh.

SSBE wasn't just Vegeta thinking about Cabba. And the form was foreshadowed throughout ep.122 (with numerous visual and verbal hints about Vegeta getting something like UI) before finally revealing it in ep.123. SSBE was Vegeta using his pride to willing pushing himself and the SSB form over the edge to keep his promise to Cabba and Bulma and win the ToP. Hardly an asspull.

A form lacking explanation in dialogue nor a name doesn't make it bad, so that was a shallow argument you made. None of the SSJ Grades nor SSJ2 got a name in the Android arc itself (only afterwards in guides) either.

Just because you don't like a power up doesn't mean its an asspull.
What does UI have to do with ssbE? My point being how does him dodging jiren's technique or spouting about his pride foreshadow a new form? "using his pride", where did you get that from? The show literally just states he broke his limits - no mention because of his "pride".
At least as an viewer you knew vegeta and trunks had to work effortelssy to get those forms in the HTC... instead of pulling it out of no where. Plus those forms are explained, it does not matter when - unlike ssj blue E which yet has nothing.

it's an asspull. The form came out of nowhere, and has no little informative explanation for its existence in the first place. It was lazy writing and cheap fan service. Toei could have actauly been creative and give vegeta something like an technique, ability or an attack that would better represent the internal character arc taking place before him. But supers anime really lacks any sort of imaginative ability and creativity nowadays... may be due to the fact it's audience is targeted for children....
Now you being willfully ignorant. The show literally explained and forecast the transformation in 2 episodes, yet you are still in denial out of bias.

And ALL of Dragonball is aimed at children. Its a Shonen franchise. It was never aimed at adults in the first place.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Burakku wrote:I still think Ikari, SSBE etc and the stuff Toyo has done should never return again and for the next series they should only focus on the forms Toriyama has in mind... And at best evsn telling the SAME story

But sadly if they will retell the Broly movie... They will use "their" stuff... TOEI even more to sell toys... Even if they do not now how to name Ikari probably until this day... same goes for controlled Kaleh
Controlled Kale is her SSJ2 form.

CSSB is going the route of FPSSJ. In other words, it is becoming the standard SSB without the drain since there is no difference in terms of ki quality.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Burakku wrote:I still think Ikari, SSBE etc and the stuff Toyo has done should never return again and for the next series they should only focus on the forms Toriyama has in mind... And at best evsn telling the SAME story

But sadly if they will retell the Broly movie... They will use "their" stuff... TOEI even more to sell toys... Even if they do not now how to name Ikari probably until this day... same goes for controlled Kaleh
Controlled Kale is her SSJ2 form.

CSSB is going the route of FPSSJ. In other words, it is becoming the standard SSB without the drain since there is no difference in terms of ki quality.
cssb and mssj don't work ecactly the same, though. They are differnt.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote: cssb and mssj don't work ecactly the same, though. They are differnt.
They both serve the same purpose, to utilize the form's capacity at its fullest. Calling it perfected/completed SSB becomes redundant because it is simply SSB at its essence. While SSB-KK/SSBE are augmented variations and have clearly different appearances.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote: cssb and mssj don't work ecactly the same, though. They are differnt.
They both serve the same purpose, to utilize the form's capacity at its fullest. Calling it perfected/completed SSB becomes redundant because it is simply SSB at its essence. While SSB-KK/SSBE are augmented variations and have clearly different appearances.
I know, but people think mssj blue works the same way as mssj - they don't. They serve the purpose of maximizing power in their respective forms, just in different ways.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:40 pm

It was basically the plot that pointed out Trunks could stay in the fight against (Merged) Zamasu, so it wouldn't be 'only' Goku and Vegeta teaming up against the main antagonist.
Rationally, it's barely explainable how Trunks, who has been stuck in ssj2 for so long and hasn't received any divine training, can suddendly "charge" to SS Rage, a form that leads us to believe to be God-tier at least.

Trunks his ass was being plot protected all over the place during this arc, and the ending basically confirms that.
It was somehow justified in a sense Trunks had a significant role in the earliest parts of the arc so it was in a sense expected he was to play a significant role, but that doesn't completely "rationalize" his transformation and why this should happen in the first place.

It was quite the epic transformation in both sub and dub, but that doesn't really explain anything.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 pm

superfan2024 wrote:- Potentially merch (I could be wrong on this one, but I know the first two are definitely true).
This is hilarious, because they can sell toys just by using Super Trunks hair with a little paintjob with the same body as Super Saiyan Trunks.
And judging by things like Super Saiyan Blue and MUI, I can't see how you're wrong :lol:
キミもテイマーをめざせ!