What are your Top 10 favorite episodes of Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

What are your Top 10 favorite episodes of Super?

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:29 am

Which are your 10 favorite episodes and why?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What are your Top 10 favorite episodes of Super?

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:28 am

zarmack wrote:Which are your 10 favorite episodes and why?
This one is tough but I shall try.

47 - Kept Me Watching DBS
The episode that changed it all and made DBS watchable for me again. I skipped out of the Pontefeu episodes entirely and was quite ready to stop watching altogether having skipped 3 episodes in a row, but the change to the art style, introduction of Future Trunks, a legitimately menacing villain, and darker tone managed to rope me back in to what was a truly fantastic arc with more than a few hiccups. To this day I look back on this arc (mostly) fondly. This episode was pivotal to DBS's success today IMO

118 - Amazing episode.
One that got us to care for other universes that weren't given much buildup. I loved the backstory of the U6 Namekians and how their power finally unlocked in the middle of their battle with Gohan and Piccolo. I love the callbacks to Kami and Nail and how they rallied Piccolo to get back into the fight. I love the symbolism of Gohan being the one to protect Piccolo and how it finally cements him as his own man. Their fight was simply amazing with the juxtaposition of Goku and the androids vs Universe 2. The hilarity and awesome techniques of the new Kamikaze Fireballs and their heartfelt attempt to rally and stay alive brought the stakes of the episode to a high pitch which ended on a legit sad note as a ton of characters I had grown to love were erased. Truly great writing on display from Toei's staff here, OMG. I'm getting the feels thinking about it. And the cross Kamehameha w/Makankosappo with Father, Father, and Son was a thing of beauty.

88 - Gohan and Piccolo back to relevance.
Nuff said really, but to expand I loved the deconstruction of Gohan in this episode. This provided more of that attention to detail that fans of these characters crave. We actually got an explanation of Gohans horrible habit of getting cocky when he gets a power boost and we finally settle the question of what the "ultimate" power of Gohan's really was and how it worked. Piccolo was finally shown in a respectful light as a combatant as he effortlessly defeated Gohan's SSj forms and even managed a win against Ultimate Gohan. And the Ultimate Gohan buildup was fantastic. I would like to see what Toei could do with this if given enough time.

57 - Jaw dropping tag team fight choreography with a compelling and charismatic pair of villains.
This is before we knew the mystery of Black and Zamasu so we were still trying to figure out the connection between them. It was truly the first time I was personally excited while watching an episode of DBS. The episode was so good that I didn't even question why Trunks was fighting on par with SSB and SSR. This is one of the few episodes I occasionally rewatch.

73/74/75/76 - Fun Slice of Life episodes that got me more invested in Krillin and Gohan.
2 amazing characters that rarely get good moments nowadays from Toriyama's pen. I loved the use of Great Saiyaman and and his interaction with Jaco along with the brief return of sassy Videl, but what I like even more than that was the Krillin character development. This gave us a great glimpse into Krillins psyche and his battle with what amounts to PTSD. I love how this is the explanation for him not living up to his potential and seeing those various villains that killed and terrified him for his point of view really put it in perspective for me. And his buildup made me excited to see where the character would now go and what powers he would unlock. It was such great writing and return to form that I was legitimately sad to not see it in the manga. This was definitely some of the better character writing in the ENTIRE series and it was just filler. Major props to Toei.

131- The culmination of Super.
With some truly spectacular show stopping choreography and action. I loved the callbacks to the Namek saga with Goku and Frieza and loved the result. This is legitimately THE best episode of Super but one must have experienced the whole show to truly enjoy and bask in it. But even as a solitary fight it stands over the rest in many ways. Not my favorite though

70 - A hilarious Yamcha episode about baseball.
And it features the whole cast along with Champa, Vados, Whis, and Beerus. This episode was tailor made for us Yamcha fans. This single episode gives Toei and by extension Toriyama-san a lifelong pass from me for not including him in the ToP. Toei has a god tier filler writing team for this show.

-79/80/81 - An amazing hype tool for the ToP.
The best use of filler-not filler imaginable. Seeing Gohan and Buu in episode long fights requiring might, strategy, and willpower was so refreshing after 75+ episodes of the Goku and Vegeta show. It gave me hope for the ToP. Then the reaction Goku got while turning SSB for the first time, how terrified all those Gods and fighters were, it gave me a strange sort of pride in how savage U7 actually is. Three solid episodes in a row with solid action and drama. I also love the new character designs especially the Trio De Dangers which left me with a good impression.

113/114/115/116 A great mini arc of a fight for Goku vs Kale and Caulifla.
This was a great fight from start to finish and resulted in one of the best kamehamehas of all time. They could have probably cut out reactions and the brief clips of other fights to make this into a single episode or two.

71/72 - Excellent use of worldbuilding and character growth.
Toei gets major points for giving us an actual conclusion to the Goku vs. Hit fight from the previous arc and even more points for fleshing out Hit's character a tad bit along with the world of U6. It was here that I grew some major respect for Toei's writing team as I feel Toriyama has great ideas that he rarely fleshes out.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-