Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:49 am

PFM18 wrote:Its not underestimating it because it really is a good amount of money. Yes it has beaten Resurrection F to ¥2 billion but can it stay ahead?

It took Resurrection F 18 days to make ¥3 billion so again Broly needs to beat that number.
It doesn't need to beat that number.

Can we stop with all this senseless comparisons it's really godamn irritating. The success of Broly needs to be looked at in isolation as it's quite clear that their aim for this film is different to the previous films, I get people want to see how it has compared to other films but it seems that's all people want to do.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Can we stop with all this senseless comparisons it's really godamn irritating. The success of Broly needs to be looked at in isolation as it's quite clear that their aim for this film is different to the previous films, I get people want to see how it has compared to other films but it seems that's all people want to do.
Their aim is for this movie to make more money than the last one. Its why they predicted ¥4 billion for Resurrection F but now ¥5 billion for this one.

Considering that more money and effort has been put into this they will want it to make more in comparison. Its not being treated as it's own success, they want this to do better.

Yasai11
Banned

Post by Yasai11 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Its not underestimating it because it really is a good amount of money. Yes it has beaten Resurrection F to ¥2 billion but can it stay ahead?

It took Resurrection F 18 days to make ¥3 billion so again Broly needs to beat that number.
It doesn't need to beat that number.

Can we stop with all this senseless comparisons it's really godamn irritating. The success of Broly needs to be looked at in isolation as it's quite clear that their aim for this film is different to the previous films, I get people want to see how it has compared to other films but it seems that's all people want to do.
The comparisons are unavoidable since the Dragonball Super: Broly movie aimed to be better than Ressurection F AND the original Broly Movies. Trying to make it canon after the Universal Tournament also didn't help.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 pm

PFM18 wrote:they predicted ¥4 billion for Resurrection F but now ¥5 billion for this one.
I remember someone from the production talking about ¥10 billion but we assumed that he was taking into account the international market as well, right?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:59 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Can we stop with all this senseless comparisons it's really godamn irritating. The success of Broly needs to be looked at in isolation as it's quite clear that their aim for this film is different to the previous films, I get people want to see how it has compared to other films but it seems that's all people want to do.
Their aim is for this movie to make more money than the last one. Its why they predicted ¥4 billion for Resurrection F but now ¥5 billion for this one.

Considering that more money and effort has been put into this they will want it to make more in comparison. Its not being treated as it's own success, they want this to do better.
And unlike ResF this movie is taking in a lot of income elsewhere something that when comparing BO numbers would be shown which is why I say it's pointless to compare. BO numbers maybe close but Broly by far and away as definitely made more money.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:00 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I remember someone from the production talking about ¥10 billion but we assumed that he was taking into account the international market as well, right?
It would have to be yeah. There's no possible way this could ever make this much in Japan but Worldwide it's possible.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:And unlike ResF this movie is taking in a lot of income elsewhere something that when comparing BO numbers would be shown which is why I say it's pointless to compare.
And it will but the domestic prediction that Toei came out with was ¥5 billion even though Resurrection F made ¥3.74 billion so they are expecting this to make more business whether it reaches that goal or not.

So if it does make less despite them predicting a lot more then that wouldn't be a good sign for it. It needs to make more than Resurrection F in Japan as well.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 am

Seems like dbs broly does better today than yesterday

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 am

Lujin_16 wrote:Seems like dbs broly does better today than yesterday
Yeah it does and I was told Wednesday to Friday would be normal but it's actually up 20% over yesterday and 40% over last week.

That could mean about ¥90 million today. So possibly over ¥2.2 billion total.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:56 am

Tomorrow the movie premieres in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Are there any plans here on watching the status of their box office as well?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

TheRed259 wrote:Tomorrow the movie premieres in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Are there any plans here on watching the status of their box office as well?
Yeah I'll do all the markets but the information for those usually comes down with the overall total that comes once every Sunday.

Resurrection F made $225,000 in Malaysia and $41,000 in Thailand so they're only small markets. Don't know about Singapore or if it even released there.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

PFM18 wrote:Yeah I'll do all the markets but the information for those usually comes down with the overall total that comes once every Sunday.
That's not that much of a problem.

Real problem is where are we gonna find accurate numbers for this. Because, as far as I remember, Box Office Mojo and The Numbers sometimes give different numbers for the same country. I wonder if 20th Century Fox of each country will reveal how much money this movie made.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am

Thursday looks to be about 9% better than Christmas Day and 50% better than last Thursday.

It could be close to or at ¥2.3 billion now. Between $20.5 to $21 million.

Movie might pass 2 million tickets by Sunday.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

Here are some Monday to Thursday estimates from elsewhere.

Monday (12/24): Emperor's Day Observance
¥169 million ($1.5 million), +122%, ¥2.04 billion ($18.2 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Day 11)

Tuesday (12/25): Christmas Day
¥73 million ($657,000), +34%, ¥2.11 billion ($18.9 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Day 12)

Wednesday (12/26): Ladies' Day
¥88 million ($792,000), +40%, ¥2.20 billion ($19.7 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Day 13)

Thursday (12/27)
¥78 million ($702,000), +50%, ¥2.28 billion ($20.4 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Day 14)

And it seems Friday has done the same business as Wednesday so another ¥88 million to bring the movie up to about ¥2.37 billion. So from Monday to Friday it appears to have done about ¥540 million which is up from ¥386 million last week.

Anything over ¥230 million for the weekend will ensure it stays ahead of Resurrection F.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am

Good to see it does better :thumbup: maybe some people were skeptical first and now thanks to the good reviews they are curious to see the movie

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:And unlike ResF this movie is taking in a lot of income elsewhere something that when comparing BO numbers would be shown which is why I say it's pointless to compare. BO numbers maybe close but Broly by far and away as definitely made more money.
The only other country Broly has opened in was Singapore ... yesterday? Where are you getting these numbers that show it has "far and away as definitely made more money?" If that's a personal prediction, you should be more clear.

There's no reason to try to downplay the importance of the Japanese box office gross. Not only is it the film's domestic market, it's the only one Toei has specifically made a public projection on. Unless China really takes to the movie, Japan will likely still be its largest single market. It's also the only one Toei isn't sharing the box office gross with a bunch of local distributors. North America's gross is going to Fathom Events, Funimation and Toei/Fox (as well as the theatres, of course), for example.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 pm

As of 12pm in Japan, the current Saturday is selling about 83% of what last Saturday did at the same time. That's pretty good. I'd be happy with anything above the ¥300 million mark for the weekend.

Here are the pre-weekend estimates from last night.

Weekend Forecast (12/29-30)
03 ¥293,000,000 ($2.6 million), -30%, ¥2,660,000,000 ($23.8 million) WK3

The movie did fall short of last weekends forecast but it's still worth mentioning. Probably going to stay in front of Resurrection F again though and even extend the lead from the looks of it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:33 am

PFM18 wrote:As of 12pm in Japan, the current Saturday is selling about 83% of what last Saturday did at the same time. That's pretty good. I'd be happy with anything above the ¥300 million mark for the weekend.

Here are the pre-weekend estimates from last night.

Weekend Forecast (12/29-30)
03 ¥293,000,000 ($2.6 million), -30%, ¥2,660,000,000 ($23.8 million) WK3

The movie did fall short of last weekends forecast but it's still worth mentioning. Probably going to stay in front of Resurrection F again though and even extend the lead from the looks of it.
That’s nice.

Thank you a lot for bringing us all this data, it’s really interesting to read the estimates every day. I can’t wait to see how well the movie will do in the west.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 am

Broly slowed down faster this Saturday than last but still sold about 76% of the tickets that were sold last week. That should mean ¥138 million ($1.25 million) and ¥2.51 billion ($22.8 million) total.

I also expect that it will surpass 2 million tickets sold on Sunday, it's 17th day. It took Battle of Gods 23 days to do that.

Otherwise it's a better drop than I was hoping for at least for Saturday.
emperior wrote:Thank you a lot for bringing us all this data, it’s really interesting to read the estimates every day.
Well thank you for reading.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:15 am

Well after a seemingly good hold yesterday, it's having a pretty poor hold today. Its only doing 60.2% of the business of last Sunday at the same time as of 1pm.

That will rise but then it will fall because last Monday was a holiday and this upcoming one isn't. Its also only 10% up from yesterday at the same time and that will possibly decrease as well.

As of right now the earlier forecast seems highly possible. Anywhere from ¥280-300 million for the weekend.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am

In the end ticket sales for this Sunday were about 63.8% of last Sunday. Overall the ticket sales for the third weekend were about 69.4% of last weekend.

So again saying that the average ticket price remains the same, the movie should have made ¥291 million ($2.6 million). However last weekend the movie should have made ¥400 million but it increased 5% with actuals to get to ¥420 million so it might go up again (it could go down too). If it could increase as little as 3% then it would get past ¥300 million which would be nice.

The official estimates will come out again later, maybe about 3 hours. The differing exchange rate makes it awkward but I'm expecting them to say around $24 million.