Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Who would have thought they'd have ever seen an anime Dragon Ball movie at the top of the Box Office. That is a fantastic amount of money and money than I ever thought was possible.

Additionally they on Box Office Mojon they have updated the International gross to $57.17 million as of January 15. When adding the domestic gross that's $64.2 million Worldwide. With whatever else it made internationally on the 16th, it has now surpassed Resurrection F and become the highest grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.

Edit: They actually say it's done $64.2 million on the summary page so no need for any math.
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I guess I should point out that this movie marks the first time since 1999 where a Japanese animated film managed to debut to number one at the North American box office.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 pm

I was wondering if we were going to get Thursday estimates early because it's about the same time but doesn't look like it, must have been an exception yesterday because it was the opening day.

Presales for Thursday as of 8pm are currently 35.6% of yesterday or double My Hero Academia's opening day....so I'd guess $2-2.5 million perhaps. If they're estimating $15 million for 6 days then that averages less than $2 million a day so that might be about right.

By Sunday I'd expect that this would fall between $75-80 million worldwide.

And because I know people have asked, the budget apparently is $8.5 million this time around. It was $5 million for Resurrection F.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:I was wondering if we were going to get Thursday estimates early because it's about the same time but doesn't look like it, must have been an exception yesterday because it was the opening day.

Presales for Thursday as of 8pm are currently 35.6% of yesterday or double My Hero Academia's opening day....so I'd guess $2-2.5 million perhaps. If they're estimating $15 million for 6 days then that averages less than $2 million a day so that might be about right.

By Sunday I'd expect that this would fall between $75-80 million worldwide.

And because I know people have asked, the budget apparently is $8.5 million this time around. It was $5 million for Resurrection F.
Does that include advertisement?

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 am

PFM18 wrote:And because I know people have asked, the budget apparently is $8.5 million this time around. It was $5 million for Resurrection F.
Any source for that?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 am

I guess the advertising was another 8M. So it cost around 16-17M. Its still gonna make a lot of money.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:46 am

Dragono wrote:Does that include advertisement?
No it states production budget.
Shounen wrote:Any source for that?
https://rpp.pe/cultura/asiapop/dragon-b ... ia-1175550

"In cinemas outside Japan, the film has managed to raise $ 20 million and counting the Japanese territory, the figure would amount to $ 54 million, which far exceeds the investment for its production, which was $ 8.5 million. It should be noted that the film has not yet been released in Spain, where it also enjoys widespread popularity."

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 am

From what I remember, France, Germany and Italy are countries with some pretty big DB fandom as well (France in particular, which is why I'm surprised it's getting the movie so late). Also, what about China?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 am

Broly is killing it in the US. Holy crap. Cant wait to go see it tomorrow

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:37 am

And here we go again.

"Funimation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly was No. 1 for the second day in a row with $3.3M, for a two-day total of $10.4M."

The #1 movie for the second and last time. It's over a 50% drop from yesterday but it's still a really good amount. It's second day is more than Resurrection F's first day and Battle of Gods entire run.

That $10.4 million also puts it above Dragonball Evolution.

Edit: Hollywood reporter is saying $3.4 million which would fit with the $10.4 million.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm

PFM18 wrote:And here we go again.

"Funimation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly was No. 1 for the second day in a row with $3.3M, for a two-day total of $10.4M."

The #1 movie for the second and last time. It's over a 50% drop from yesterday but it's still a really good amount. It's second day is more than Resurrection F's first day and Battle of Gods entire run.

That $10.4 million also puts it above Dragonball Evolution.

Edit: Hollywood reporter is saying $3.4 million which would fit with the $10.4 million.
This is doing amazing. I've just got to ask though, why did you say it's number 1 for the second and last time? I take it something's being released that will outdo it? Or is it something else?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

The movie looks like it did another ¥8 million in Japan for around ¥3.67 billion altogether. It was not in the Top 10 today because of new releases. I don't know if it will over the weekend but it might be a bit harder to make these kind predictions from this point forward.

It'll have a hefty drop this weekend what with last weekend being a holiday. It should ¥3.7 billion but probably going to be in the middle of next week when it surpasses Resurrection F.
Michsi wrote:Also, what about China?
I believe it is coming out in China. Resurrection F didn't do so well there compared to say One Piece Film Gold or Boruto the Movie but it did come out real late. If they could get this out quicker then it'd benefit more from it.
Sora Saiyan wrote:I've just got to ask though, why did you say it's number 1 for the second and last time? I take it something's being released that will outdo it? Or is it something else?
Yes because Glass comes out today and that's expected to do pretty well.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 pm

So, Broly is killing it like I thought. I’m glad to hear the good news considering most people were pretty negative before it came out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Glass is getting atrocious reviews I don’t think you should count out Dragon Ball yet.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 pm

majinwarman wrote:So, Broly is killing it like I thought. I’m glad to hear the good news considering most people were pretty negative before it came out.
I'm not surprised. This fandom loves to judge things before they are even released, and now the majority of the fans are praising the movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:22 pm

This $15 million+ for the 6 days is looking a bit conservative. The presales for Friday....well no actually it's easier I just post them so you can see for yourself.

63103 - 2019-01-16 - WED
23839 - 2019-01-17 - THU
10565 - 2019-01-18 - FRI
16553 - 2019-01-19 - SAT
3815 - 2019-01-20 - SUN
2410 - 2019-01-21 - MDY

That's as of right now. Those figures will increase as time goes on (not for Wednesday and Thursday obviously) but it might give you an idea of how the movie is going to perform.

So Friday will surely do worse business than Thursday but Saturday looks like it will improve but then Sunday is looking very weak. Not sure why but it's been a fraction of Saturday since before Wednesday.

I know the theatre count will shift around so maybe it doesn't have many theatres on the Sunday?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Bit more information here from Deadline from a Friday Midday Update.

"Funimation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly has a raw gross that’s close to $1M already for the day. The anime pic could earn $5M over three days and $6M over four, with a six-day stretch of $16M."

So they've increase their 6 day estimate again from the previous $15 million given yesterday. Who knows, maybe they continue to underestimate it and that will go up again. It was originally estimated for $11 million for the 6 day.

If the movie can actually get to $20 million it would be the third highest grossing anime movie ever domestically only behind the first two Pokemon movies.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:40 am

Well the estimates have only gone and increased again.

"...except for Funimation’s event film Dragon Ball Super: Broly which was going after a die-hard fanboy/family crowd; that pic poised to make $18.7M between Wednesday and Monday"

The breakdown is $2.1 million on Friday, $7 million for the 3 day Friday - Sunday and $8.4 million for the 4 day Friday - Monday.

This is doing incredibly well, the estimates for Glass actually went down. That'd be more than double Resurrection F now.

I know it's just an estimate but I'm thinking this could be between $80-85 million by Sunday.

I'm also hearing it might surpass Resurrection F in Japan this weekend.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 am

Great to see Broly is doing so well (at least by anime theatrical movie standards). I am always happy to see Dragon Ball performing the best it can, especially in periods like this which aren't the best for big movies and when the series is on a break.

Be interesting to see how it does in the UK and Ireland next week in comparison to Resurrection F. I'm definitely pleasantly surprised its getting a week run, not just a day or two this time.

Hoping TOEI will use this to their advantage and give Super 2.0 the best budget possible.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 am

Michsi wrote:From what I remember, France, Germany and Italy are countries with some pretty big DB fandom as well (France in particular, which is why I'm surprised it's getting the movie so late). Also, what about China?
Don't be surprised. Battle of Gods only had a couple of screening in Paris, F was shown in limited places and only subbed. It's the first time since movie 13 that DBZ is being shown dubbed and subbed in France. Don't ask me why...