Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am

sangofe wrote:
Michsi wrote:From what I remember, France, Germany and Italy are countries with some pretty big DB fandom as well (France in particular, which is why I'm surprised it's getting the movie so late). Also, what about China?
Don't be surprised. Battle of Gods only had a couple of screening in Paris, F was shown in limited places and only subbed. It's the first time since movie 13 that DBZ is being shown dubbed and subbed in France. Don't ask me why...
But am I wrong about France having a pretty large DB fandom? I know it was loved all across Europe back in the day, but I somehow remember the French and Italian fandoms being especially large (even though I was more familiar with the German speaking one)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 pm

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 5162994688

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $2.39M on Friday. 3-Day total stands at $12.78M."

So it actually did better than the earlier Deadline estimate of $2.1 million. Hopefully a good sign that the six day will increase even more.

Should be at $69.95 million when Box Office Mojo update it later.

Edit: Oh and it made about ¥26 million in Friday in Japan for maybe around ¥3.7 billion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Michsi wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Michsi wrote:From what I remember, France, Germany and Italy are countries with some pretty big DB fandom as well (France in particular, which is why I'm surprised it's getting the movie so late). Also, what about China?
Don't be surprised. Battle of Gods only had a couple of screening in Paris, F was shown in limited places and only subbed. It's the first time since movie 13 that DBZ is being shown dubbed and subbed in France. Don't ask me why...
But am I wrong about France having a pretty large DB fandom? I know it was loved all across Europe back in the day, but I somehow remember the French and Italian fandoms being especially large (even though I was more familiar with the German speaking one)
You are right about that.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:50 pm

PFM18 wrote:https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 5162994688

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $2.39M on Friday. 3-Day total stands at $12.78M."

So it actually did better than the earlier Deadline estimate of $2.1 million. Hopefully a good sign that the six day will increase even more.

Edit: Oh and it made about ¥26 million in Friday in Japan for maybe around ¥3.7 billion.

Estimated Daily Box Office Top 7 for Friday, January 18, 2019

1. #Glass - $16.00M
2. #TheUpside - $4.17M
3. #Aquaman - $2.51M
4. #DragonBallSuperBroly - $2.39M
5. #SpiderVerse - $1.76M

Not Bad :thumbup:

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:59 pm

PFM18 wrote:https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 5162994688

You mean Saturday right?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Well oddly enough Deadline updated their figures, they've got the Friday at $2.3 million now but they've actually lowered the rest of the figures.

Now they have $6.6 million for the 3 day weekend and $7.5 million for the 4 day weekend for a total of $17.8 million.

So they're thinking $4.3 million between Saturday and Sunday and $1.1 million for Monday. Nevermind.
FrostByte wrote:You mean Saturday right?
I do, I'm jumping around too much it's confusing me.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

FrostByte wrote:
majinwarman wrote:So, Broly is killing it like I thought. I’m glad to hear the good news considering most people were pretty negative before it came out.
I'm not surprised. This fandom loves to judge things before they are even released, and now the majority of the fans are praising the movie.
It’s something I hate about the fandom.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm

One last bit of an update I can make until the Sunday updates come in.

Box Office Mojo have given some estimates....but they don't add up. They say the movie is at $12.8 million after 3 days and they expect $8 million for the 3 day weekend and pushing $9.5 million for the 5 day weekend for a $15 million start.

Well...if it was at $10.4 million on Thursday then another $9.5 million would make for a near $20 million start which is what Hollywood Reporter mentioned yesterday. They say 5 day where I think they mean 4 day instead. As I said though Deadline said $17.8 million so it could be either end.

In Mexico it's made $8.5 million altogether as of Friday. I'm told it's probably going to drop over 70% in all Latin Ameifcan countries aside from Chile. That's a huge drop but I expected it.

The global estimates will come in tomorrow. If I were to guess and based on the domestic estimate I'd say....$82-85 million worldwide

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 am

Though I cant say exactly a number of tickets sold, Broly was sold out at my local theatre with screenings in two separate theatres. Absolutely insane

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 am

Dragon Ball is pretty popular around my area (Los Angeles), and the local multiplexes (specifically AMC) bumped up the number of screenings per day significantly over the weekend. In fact, the AMC nearest me held a total of twelve showings of the film today alone (Saturday)! And they were all close to, if not completely, sold out! It was tied only by Glass in number of screenings at the same theater. Most impressive for a limited release event film.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:48 am

The movie had a about 60% jump on Sunday in Japan, looks like it made about ¥44 million so a weekend of around ¥71 million and a total that could very well now be above Resurrection F's total.

We'll get some better estimates later and then the actuals tomorrow but there's a good chance it's probably done it.

No other update on its domestic estimate since the last so I've still read anywhere from $17.8-19.9 million by Monday.

The Worldwide estimates will come out in about 5-6 hours or so.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 am

Curious how DB barely manages to break 10 million in Japan when One Piece movies do well over 5 to 6 times as much domestically. Any idea on how much the old Z films did domestically for comparison's sake? Wikipedia puts their gross at 20 to 30 million (for the majority at least) and I would suppose most of that would have to come from Japan since they probably had a limited run, if one at all, in other countries.

Also surprising, though not all together unexpected, that the US managed to surpass Japan.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:24 am

Doctor. wrote:Curious how DB barely manages to break 10 million in Japan when One Piece movies do well over 5 to 6 times as much domestically. Any idea on how much the old Z films did domestically for comparison's sake? Wikipedia puts their gross at 20 to 30 million (for the majority at least) and I would suppose most of that would have to come from Japan since they probably had a limited run, if one at all, in other countries.

Also surprising, though not all together unexpected, that the US managed to surpass Japan.
DBS Broly has made over 33 million USD in Japan.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Curious how DB barely manages to break 10 million in Japan when One Piece movies do well over 5 to 6 times as much domestically. Any idea on how much the old Z films did domestically for comparison's sake? Wikipedia puts their gross at 20 to 30 million (for the majority at least) and I would suppose most of that would have to come from Japan since they probably had a limited run, if one at all, in other countries.

DBS Broly has made over 33 million USD in Japan.
Oh, you're right. I thought "domestic" on boxofficemojo referred to Japan, my mistake.

Still curious on the Z films though.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

I think people confuse the overall performance of the movie in Japan with the one from the opening weekend ? The movie seems to have had a slower start over in Japan but picked up during the holidays whereas in the U.S. it performed better than expected from the start.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 am

¥3.74 billion ($31.1 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
¥2.99 billion ($31.1 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
¥2.48 billion ($19.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler
¥2.35 billion ($18.9 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13
¥2.24 billion ($22.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Second Coming
¥2.20 billion ($16.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge
¥2.12 billion ($20.4 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
¥2.05 billion ($18.7 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound
¥2.05 billion ($14.9 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug
¥1.98 billion ($22.7 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn
¥1.75 billion ($18.0 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly
¥1.55 billion ($10.3 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest
¥1.24 billion ($9.6 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone
¥1.24 billion ($8.4 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might
¥1.22 billion ($6.8 million) - Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies
¥1.22 billion ($8.0 million) - Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
¥1.10 billion ($12.2 million) - Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon
¥1.00 billion ($7.8 million) - Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure
Sub-¥1 billion (~$8/9 million) - Dragon Ball Z: The Path to Power

Here ya go. The old films were part of the Toei fair where multiple Toei property films released back to back, so they aren't really comparable to the modern era where the films are treated as premium releases.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:12 am

Doctor. wrote:Any idea on how much the old Z films did domestically for comparison's sake? Wikipedia puts their gross at 20 to 30 million (for the majority at least) and I would suppose most of that would have to come from Japan since they probably had a limited run, if one at all, in other countries.
Looks like Saikyo just posted the DBZ movies grosses ahead of me but here are the last three One Piece movies for comparison.

¥4.80 billion ($56.8 million) - One Piece Film Strong World (2009)
¥6.87 billion ($77.0 million) - One Piece Film Z (2012)
¥5.18 billion ($49.8 million) - One Piece Film Gold (2016)

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 am

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Any idea on how much the old Z films did domestically for comparison's sake? Wikipedia puts their gross at 20 to 30 million (for the majority at least) and I would suppose most of that would have to come from Japan since they probably had a limited run, if one at all, in other countries.
Looks like Saikyo just posted the DBZ movies grosses ahead of me but here are the last three One Piece movies for comparison.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am that gold is at the buttom, fuck that movie.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:22 am

Dragono wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I cannot tell you how pleased I am that gold is at the buttom, fuck that movie.
Film Gold was good though. Not as good as Film Z obviously, but its also not a bad movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Well all the numbers are coming out now for the domestic figures, probably every movie has been reported...but Broly.

I have seen a couple things, I'm not going to post any links because I want to wait for a more concrete figure but....it's looking good, like $20 million+ by Monday good but that's only whats loosely been reported at the moment.