Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm

i think the Dragonball Super series helped the movie a lot making so much money in south america

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman-cr ... 202534340/

Deadline gave some details on the movies grosses in some different countries so I thought I'd make a couple comparisons.

Mexico - It opened to $6.5 million in 3 days. In local currency Broly opened to 20% more than what Resurrection F finished with. Battle of Gods made $4.45 million and Resurrection F made $6.15 million total.

Peru - It made $2.4 million in 4 days. Battle of Gods made $1.84 million and Resurrection F made $2.04 million total.

Chile - It made $1.7 million in 4 days. Battle of Gods made $1.35 million and Resurrection F made $1.39 million total.

Colombia - It made $1.5 million in 4 days. Battle of Gods made $1.17 million and Resurrection F made $0.8 million total.

Argentina - It made $1.56 million in 4 days. That's a bit better than the openings for the last two movies but in local currency it's significantly better. Battle of Gods made $3 million and Resurrection F made $2.9 million total.

So that's now Thailand, Malaysia, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Brazil and Peru (and likely more) where this movie has opened higher than the previous movies finished.

In Japan I'm told any doubt that it might it not surpass Resurrection F has gone. It should comfortably pass ¥3.8 billion but it won't be making ¥4 billion.

Next week we've only really got US and Canada but that's the biggest market for this movie outside of Japan. That's going to be real interesting to see how that does and I expect by next Sunday this will surpass Resurrection F's worldwide total.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 am

PFM18 wrote: Next week we've only really got US and Canada but that's the biggest market for this movie outside of Japan. That's going to be real interesting to see how that does and I expect by next Sunday this will surpass Resurrection F's worldwide total.
I bet there's a chance of it surpassing RoF without even taking the US and Canada into consideration this week. With those two it should sail comfortably past it. I take it that the movie is still in cinemas in South American countries right?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 am

The surprises keep coming. Today it's a bank holiday in Japan, I thought if the movie could make almost as much as it did Saturday then that'd be pretty good but it's actually doing better than Sunday.

It might do about ¥70 million today. I'll be more precise later when the day is at an end.
Sora Saiyan wrote:I bet there's a chance of it surpassing RoF without even taking the US and Canada into consideration this week.
It's definitely feasible. The movie is going to drop hard, more so than most other movies, it's what happened with the last two but it could do it.

As an example. Resurrection F between Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Colombia opened to $7 million. By the end of the second week that total was up to $11.25 million so it increased 60%.

Broly opened to $13.7 million across the same markets. If it increases the same amount then it'll be at $22 million. So the movie would be adding $8.3 million just from those countries and not including whatever it adds in Japan, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay etc.

But it could be more frontloaded because it opened so much higher...or it could be less frontloaded because there's less competition and maybe it'll have more showings.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am

Monday did about what I said earlier. That should be a 3 day weekend around ¥175-180 million or so for about ¥3.62 billion ($32.7 million).

Seeing as it was a holiday we won't be getting actuals until likely tomorrow.

Aside from that not much else to add. It sold 2.3 million tickets opening weekend in Mexico which is more than the 2.2 million tickets that Resurrection F sold in total and about 374,000 tickets in Argentina opening weekend. Resurrection F did 450,000 tickets in total.

That's about it for now. The $54.3 million figure from yesterday was still just an estimate. I'm not sure when the actual figures come out but that will likely change.

SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 pm

How much longer is the film going to be in Japan theaters for?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Bare witness for Dragon Ball Super Broly is the highest grossing movie Worldwide of all of 2019. Following in the same footsteps as the likes of Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar and The Avengers before it.

Not even content at just being the highest grossing, it has also outgrossed every movie that has released in 2019 combined as you can see below.

The year might not be over yet but only time will tell if it gets surpassed by Avengers End Game, The Lion King, Toy Story 4 or Star Wars Episode IX.
SaiyanBaller22 wrote:How much longer is the film going to be in Japan theaters for?
Many more weeks yet but Resurrection F was only charted for 8 weekends so I'll be able to update it until it falls off and then we'll have to wait until Toei give the final gross.

Resurrection F fell of the charts and was making next to nothing by the time it was at ¥3.67 billion. Then a couple months later then the final gross was given at ¥3.74 billion. That's probably going to happen again.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Almost forgot, anyone have an idea on how long the theatre run will be in the U.S?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Screendaily have updated the Box Office gross to be closer to actuals and unfortunately it's gone down but the amount is still far more than I had earlier expected anyway.

The weekend gross has gone down from $20.3 million to $19.2 million. The overall total has gone down from $54.3 million to $53.5 million.

Mexico has gone down from $6.5 million to $6.1 million.

Peru has gone up from $2.4 million to $2.5 million.

No real change for Chile, Argentina and Colombia. So it must have been overestimated by $450,000 between possibly Ecuador and Brazil.

They also specify that in Ecuador it opened to $1.3 million (Resurrection F made $0.9 million) and Central America it opened to $1.49 million.

In Japan they say it's made $31.6 million which isn't really right. I think that's because of how they do the exchange rate because it is more accurately over $32 million.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:08 am

Japan Numbers so far.
3,638,122,200 yen (roughly 33.5 million USD)
2,823,215 tickets
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 2697134080

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:12 am

That means it's now the most attended Dragon Ball movie ever because Resurrection F had a final attendance of 2.81 million.

Seems like actuals went up a bit, about ¥18 million from estimates and about ¥6 million more than what I thought it should be at. So with today it's within ¥100 million of being the highest grossing also.

In regards to my last post about Mexico being adjusted down, there seems to be some confusion because it's apparently made M$123.6 million which according to Google is $6.5 million which is what they originally reported. I don't know how they got that $6.1 million figure but maybe it'll be cleared up soon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Today the movie appears to have made about ¥8 million ($75,000) in Japan. That gives a total of ¥3.646 billion (about $33 million). I still have no actuals for the weekend.

So it's not really gonna be making much anymore on the weekdays but it's closing in on Resurrection F a little each day.

Thankfully though just as Japan has started to slow down, it's a day away from being released in the US and at least there we will get updates every day.

I have no idea what to expect from this in the United States. It's a given that it's gonna surpass what Resurrection F made, $10 million should be in the bag but how much more? I'm seeing there's sold out showings so that's a good sign. As of writing it's up to 40,600 in presales for tomorrow, vastly more than any other movie.

Personally ever since this got announced, I've had it in my mind that if it could get to $15 million then would be pretty good. I'd be happy with anything above that.

Dare I say that this might just top the box office on Wednesday? It's going to open to more than Resurrection F's opening day of $1.9 million surely. I think only The Upside has a chance of stopping Broly from being the #1 movie in the US.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

PFM18 wrote:The year might not be over yet but only time will tell if it gets surpassed by Avengers End Game, The Lion King, Toy Story 4 or Star Wars Episode IX.
I mean, that seems likely.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 am

Today is release day in the US and I have some information.

On Fandango, the presales for the opening day are 48,000. In comparison last year's My Hero Academia movie had opening day presales of 11,200. So about 4.3 times as many.

My Hero Academia had a opening day of $947,000. If the presales to total sales ratio was the same then Broly would have a opening day of $4 million. Then again the ratio could be better or worse. I'd expect worse so you can't end up disappointed.

On Monday The Upside made $1.75 million and that should be less on Wednesday. Now seeing as even Resurrection F had a opening day of $1.98 million, I would find it very surprising if this Broly movie doesn't make #1 in the US.

The second thing is that the movie is going to be shown in 1,259 theatres. Resurrection F had 1,000 theatres. The thing with that movie is that it's theatre count changed radically by the day so one day it was in 900 theatres, then the next 60 theatres, then back up to 900 theatres, then down to 180 theatres etc so it's grosses were all over the place.

You're going to want this Broly movie to better maintain a high theatre count each day because it's that which is going to allow for it to make a lot more money than Resurrection F.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am

PFM18 wrote:Today is release day in the US and I have some information.

On Fandango, the presales for the opening day are 48,000. In comparison last year's My Hero Academia movie had opening day presales of 11,200. So about 4.3 times as many.

My Hero Academia had a opening day of $947,000. If the presales to total sales ratio was the same then Broly would have a opening day of $4 million. Then again the ratio could be better or worse. I'd expect worse so you can't end up disappointed.

On Monday The Upside made $1.75 million and that should be less on Wednesday. Now seeing as even Resurrection F had a opening day of $1.98 million, I would find it very surprising if this Broly movie doesn't make #1 in the US.

The second thing is that the movie is going to be shown in 1,259 theatres. Resurrection F had 1,000 theatres. The thing with that movie is that it's theatre count changed radically by the day so one day it was in 900 theatres, then the next 60 theatres, then back up to 900 theatres, then down to 180 theatres etc so it's grosses were all over the place.

You're going to want this Broly movie to better maintain a high theatre count each day because it's that which is going to allow for it to make a lot more money than Resurrection F.

Excited to see the turnout, I'm happy every theater around me is showing it, but every single one is having just 1 showing. EVERY Dragon Ball release has been like this and they all sell out forcing them to open more screenings. I don't understand why my local theaters wont do more showings right off the bat...they aren't small. It's not like they don't have the room.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Movie made about ¥9 million on Wednesday in Japan for about ¥3.655 billion.

In Brazil it has made about $3.5-3.6 million by Sunday. It's done over two and a half times better than the previous movies in local currency.

US presales are now up to 50,400 which is now 4.5 times as much as My Hero Academia. Deadline says the movie is only in 1,260 theatres for one day so expect a good opening day followed by a fair drop on Thursday.
BrandonR24 wrote:I don't understand why my local theaters wont do more showings right off the bat...they aren't small. It's not like they don't have the room.
I checked on some AMC and Regal Theatres and saw most had more than one, I was seeing four, seven and more at a couple. Again some were sold out there too.

I don't know why they're only giving it the one showing, if it's selling out then they aren't having enough showings to meet demand. It's why Resurrection F ended up with more days than it was supposed to have.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 pm

It’s either some dumb marketing strategy or Toei, Fox, or Funimation doesn’t want to give a DB movie anything beyond a limited theatrical release.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Fandango Presales are now up to 59,500 as of 6pm for Wednesday and continue to rise.

That's now 5.3 times as high as My Hero Academia. The movie will almost definitely be the #1 movie in the US. It might not be amongst the best competition but who cares, a Dragon Ball movie being the #1 movie in US is an immense feat in itself.

The last time an anime movie was #1 at the box office...was with Pokémon The First Movie all the back in November 1999.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Oh! We've got something early.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-bal ... 202536491/

"Funimation Films’ domestic release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly is rolling a super opening day with an estimated $5M-plus per industry sources at 1,260 theaters. Estimates peg the six-day at $11M-plus and say that given the fanboy nature of the film, business will be frontloaded. There’s also a chance that Broly comes in higher than what we’re seeing now with around $7M."

Again so much higher than I thought. Just $5 million in itself is damn good. Around $7 million? Almost as much as Resurrection F's entire run on the first day? I'll believe it when I see it because that it absurdly high.

Edit: Oh and there's more, it says further down it's at $57.6 million Worldwide so far. That doesnt include this domestic gross. So pretty much it's passed Resurrection F's worldwide gross now.

It is the highest grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Didn't F do 60-something million?