Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Well so far, it's doing almost 40% better than it was doing this time yesterday.

More than that, it's doing significantly more than Resurrection F did on its opening day at about the same time as well and this is Brolys third day.

It's done as much business as of 12pm as it did on Friday as of 8pm.

I'd say it could maybe be over ¥800 million by now.
Retan wrote:Also didn't rof release on golden week (Or was that bog)? Which is the big movie week in Japan (though bigger comp.)
It released on the week prior to Golden Week. This is releasing on the week prior to the New Year's Holidays. I don't know which is bigger but I believe there's more days off involved for New Year's but I'm not sure for a fact.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:01 am

I'm really routing for this film to do well. Not necessarily because of the movie itself, but because I want this new style to stick. I remember seeing Ajay mention how the Japanese fans were the most divided when the new designs came out so I hope the reason it isn't performing as well as expected isn't because of that.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am

Retan wrote:Also didn't rof release on golden week (Or was that bog)? Which is the big movie week in Japan (though bigger comp.)
BoG released in spring vacation, and RoF hit Golden week a couple weeks after it’s release.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 am

The day is starting to wrap up, Sunday did slow down faster than Saturday (because people have to go to work/school tomorrow) but it still finished the day with about 10% more than Saturday.

I'm not sure but we could get weekend actuals today, if not then it'll be tomorrow.

For ticket sales I'd say at least 750,000 have been sold with a possibility of over 800,000 being sold.

In terms of gross, it's gotta be over a ¥1 billion. Maybe ¥1.1 billion or so, could be more. In terms of US money I'd hope for $10-11 million.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 am

Where are you looking on?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 am

Well I don't know how but Box Office Mojo has this movie at making $659,000 in the US across several days in September? What's that about?
Psykomatik wrote:Where are you looking on?
Its a Japanese site that gives ticket sales amongst an estimated portion of theatres in Japan every 20 minutes. So I'm taking those ticket sales and blowing them up to cover all the theatres and then applying Resurrection F's average ticket price to get an rough estimate.

I can't link the site. Apparently it's best it not get around encase the wrong person comes across it and might have it taken down so I was asked not to hotlink it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:22 am

PFM18 wrote:Well I don't know how but Box Office Mojo has this movie at making $659,000 in the US across several days in September?
That’s not this movie, that is the original Broly movie which was shown for 2 days in September in the US.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:44 pm

We finally have actuals.

"My brohan! DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY debuted exclusively in Japan on 467 screens scoring $8.7M--the largest of the franchise."

So that works out at ¥986 million. The thing is I don't know if that's meant to be for Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Sunday.

If it was the former then that's fairly disappointing. If it's the latter then that's pretty impressive.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 pm

PFM18 wrote:We finally have actuals.

"My brohan! DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY debuted exclusively in Japan on 467 screens scoring $8.7M--the largest of the franchise."

So that works out at ¥986 million. The thing is I don't know if that's meant to be for Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Sunday.

If it was the former then that's fairly disappointing. If it's the latter then that's pretty impressive.
Hey, there’s something! Resurrection F premiered on 658 screens (excluding the 10 4D screens I believe). So Broly has substantially less yet made more.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm

467 screens??? That’s not much, right? I would’ve at least expected over a thousand.
(If Japan even has that amount of screens)

Anyways... Please enlighten me. So you made a mistake earlier right? Those numbers you listed earlier were for the OLD Broly movies? Correct? Now DBS Broly does indeed (AS EXPECTED) much better than RoF right?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Where are you getting this info, doesn't seem right, especially the screen count.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:

Hey, there’s something! Resurrection F premiered on 658 screens (excluding the 10 4D screens I believe). So Broly has substantially less yet made more.
That simple fact is really astonishing and seems to be going unnoticed in this thread.
Feels over Reals.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Anyways... Please enlighten me. So you made a mistake earlier right? Those numbers you listed earlier were for the OLD Broly movies? Correct? Now DBS Broly does indeed (AS EXPECTED) much better than RoF right?
No there was no mistake, I was just wondering what the US gross was on Box Office Mojo.

So as for this movie, I'm still not sure yet but now I've seen 3 different sites claim that $8.7 million figure. If that actually is for Friday to Sunday...then it has done worse than Resurrection F.

Resurrection F did ¥1060 million in 3 days. If this has actually done about ¥986 million in 3 days then I would definitely find that disappointing.

This one has had a bigger budget, more promotion, we've just had Super for 3 years and the big resurgence, ticket prices have probably increased a tad as well so for it to actually do worse? I would never have expected it.

The hope now would be that it was just for the 2 day, not including Friday but it seems unlikely at this point to be honest because why would these sites not mention it if that was the case?
ArchedThunder wrote:Where are you getting this info, doesn't seem right, especially the screen count.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ERCboxoffice ... 2374128641

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:30 pm

PFM18 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Anyways... Please enlighten me. So you made a mistake earlier right? Those numbers you listed earlier were for the OLD Broly movies? Correct? Now DBS Broly does indeed (AS EXPECTED) much better than RoF right?
No there was no mistake, I was just wondering what the US gross was on Box Office Mojo.

So as for this movie, I'm still not sure yet but now I've seen 3 different sites claim that $8.7 million figure. If that actually is for Friday to Sunday...then it has done worse than Resurrection F.

Resurrection F did ¥1060 million in 3 days. If this has actually done about ¥986 million in 3 days then I would definitely find that disappointing.

This one has had a bigger budget, more promotion, we've just had Super for 3 years and the big resurgence, ticket prices have probably increased a tad as well so for it to actually do worse? I would never have expected it.

The hope now would be that it was just for the 2 day, not including Friday but it seems unlikely at this point to be honest because why would these sites not mention it if that was the case?
ArchedThunder wrote:Where are you getting this info, doesn't seem right, especially the screen count.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ERCboxoffice ... 2374128641
I'd wait, these numbers don't seem right. Other sites reporting this could just be picking from the same inaccurate source.
With the massive marketing push of this movie there is no way it had 200 fewer screens.
It's also crazy early in Japan right now, so I don't think actuals will be coming for a bit.

Hero_nike

Post by Hero_nike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:47 pm

yeah, there's no way this movie had a lower debut than Resurrection F

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't get the screen count but the gross figure is probably correct because it's close enough to what I was saying anyway, it's with in 2% of my low end. So it either applies to 2 days or 3 days that 'sall.

Unfortunately it would seem like it being 3 days fits more. With the ¥986 million figure in mind, it's easy enough to come up with calculations to make that work. It being for 2 days...not really.

Out of it being a little low for 3 days or very high for 2 days, the former is definitely more likely. Now I'm told that when this site has given the gross for other movies that released on Friday, the figure does include the Friday. Those are for American movies so there's a chance it's being reported different for a Japanese movie but probably unlikely.

Otherwise I wouldn't get your hopes up because I think a lot of people are about to be surprised and/or disappointed.

Hero_nike

Post by Hero_nike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:03 pm

I still find it hard to believe that the movie was shown on less screens than its predecessor especially with all the promotion going on

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm

PFM18 wrote:I don't get the screen count but the gross figure is probably correct because it's close enough to what I was saying anyway, it's with in 2% of my low end. So it either applies to 2 days or 3 days that 'sall.

Unfortunately it would seem like it being 3 days fits more. With the ¥986 million figure in mind, it's easy enough to come up with calculations to make that work. It being for 2 days...not really.

Out of it being a little low for 3 days or very high for 2 days, the former is definitely more likely. Now I'm told that when this site has given the gross for other movies that released on Friday, the figure does include the Friday. Those are for American movies so there's a chance it's being reported different for a Japanese movie but probably unlikely.

Otherwise I wouldn't get your hopes up because I think a lot of people are about to be surprised and/or disappointed.
Box Office Mojo does 3 day for US, but 2 day for Japan, and their numbers are always accurate.
If the these numbers are legit then I'm guessing it's just 2 day.
The fact that these numbers came with a screen count that is 200 fewer than F still makes me very skeptical of their legitimacy though.

For an example of how Box Office Mojo reports Japan, for the first weekend of Fantastic Beasts 2 they have it at 7.5 million, but 13 million total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I went and had a look because this movie was being compared to this year's Detective Conan. Based on the comparable numbers.

Friday it did 58% of Conan. Saturday it did 56% of Conan. Sunday it did about 60% of Conan. For Saturday and Sunday combined it did 58% of Conan.

Conan opened to ¥1.67 billion. Well 58% of that is ¥970 million. That's $8.56 million. Give and take a little and the $8.7 million figure fits.

So unfortunately yes it does appear like it's done worse than Resurrection F. I would never have thought that would have happened.

Hero_nike

Post by Hero_nike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:For Saturday and Sunday combined it did 58% of Conan. Conan opened to ¥1.67 billion. Well 58% of that is ¥970 million. That's $8.56 million. Give and take a little and the $8.7 million figure fits.
So it did 8,7 million for saturday and sunday combined and not for friday, which is better than Resurrection F, right ?
Regardless, it is still a solid result considering the fact that is it was shown on 200 screens less than Resurrection F