Should Super come back as a seasonal anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Should Super come back as a seasonal anime?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 pm

So, we all knew that it was gonna happen, we just didn't know when, but now it's confirmed. Dragon Ball Super the TV anime is returning. When is it returning? We don't know. But people have been wondering how the production of Super 2 will be handled. Most people are praying that they keep the Shintani designs. (And honestly I don't blame them cause now I can't see modern Dragon Ball looking good without them). And some are suggesting that the anime should come back as a seasonal series like My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100, so that way, it's going to have top tier animation, just a little bit under movie quality. And I think that could be really helpful for Toei because then the show wouldn't be as rushed as it was before. But what do you guys think? Should Super come back as a seasonal anime?
Caulifla best girl! :)

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Should Super come back as a seasonal anime?

Post by prince212 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:49 pm

I’d rather seasonal , but looks like that’s not Toei,s policy concerning this series . I.m.o quality >quantity
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:54 pm

I personally wouldn't mind seasonal, especially if it's top notch animation.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:09 pm

BrandonR24 wrote:I personally wouldn't mind seasonal, especially if it's top notch animation.
I don't think animation will ever be a problem again with Shintani's designs. Too easy to animate for them to drop the ball on it.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BrandonR24 wrote:I personally wouldn't mind seasonal, especially if it's top notch animation.
I don't think animation will ever be a problem again with Shintani's designs. Too easy to animate for them to drop the ball on it.
There is so much more that goes into animating than that and your comment comes off as woefully ignorant. You can have easy, effective character designs sure - but it takes a lot more to tell a story and convey the emotion of a scene be it a simple 2 shot or a drawn out battle. This line of thinking might be why you are willing to overlook the problems that plague super, it takes a bit more than a well animated spectacle to actually tell a decent story.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
There is so much more that goes into animating than that and your comment comes off as woefully ignorant. You can have easy, effective character designs sure - but it takes a lot more to tell a story and convey the emotion of a scene be it a simple 2 shot or a drawn out battle. This line of thinking might be why you are willing to overlook the problems that plague super, it takes a bit more than a well animated spectacle to actually tell a decent story.
This post is quite baffling. Do you not understand the difference between depicting a decent story and having good animation? You seem to be pretending I lumped them together or you're straw manning me.

Oh, I'm not any more willing to accept Super's issues than I am the original series.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 pm

haha there is no way Toei would go seasonal.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:49 pm

No. I rather take 1 year of regular quality DBS than half a year of above average quality.

Plus, that would mean only 1 arc per year. Not to mention, many of DB’s arcs are longer than 25 episodes so that might even be enough to tell a good story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:55 pm

While I think other Shonen anime may benefit like My hero and Definetly One Piece since the pacing has been all over the place, some how Dragon Ball just works in the long formate. Sure some pacing of arcs can be off, but the long forn just seems to suit it better.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:57 am

I really don’t think Super has to come back as a seasonal anime for it to be good. Pokemon does a weekly show quite well, so it’s entirely possible to have good quality every week.
Sure, if it were seasonal Super would be better (how much better, though?) but we would have far less episodes.
Some people also miss the point that anime like MHA, OPM etcetera are basically forced to go seasonal or else they would have to become full of fillers like OP or Naruto are in order to not catch up to the original source.
Super, instead, is based off on stories written beforehand by Toriyama so it’s perfectly fine for it to be weekly: they just have to make sure the schedule is good. We also haven’t gotten movies or TV specials alongside the weekly Super because Toei is afraid/isn’t allowed to write DB stories without Toriyama, so there’s not even that factor that would hurt the show’s quality to take into consideration.
I think this idea of Super going seasonal is mostly because of the fear the new Super will suffer from the same issues that plagued the first 131 episodes, but happened because the schedule was horrible due to the 2 months of pre-production, and Yamamuro’s detailed designs probably didn’t help in speeding things up.
I’m confident Super can be a quality weekly show if they take their time with pre-production, if they hire an head writer to supervise the way Toriyama’s outlines are told or, even better, if they ask Toriyama to write long scripts as he did for Broly and then adapt them as they are, without changing things too much and only adding some stuff to fill the gaps/fit the story better for the weekly format.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes, and it should have always been seasonal if they can't give their workers enough time to finish decent episodes, and no more in-between arc episodes that drag out forever.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Nearly all of the best anime out now are seasonal. Super should have been a seasonal anime from the start. It would give the series more time for planning the stories and good animation.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:44 pm

It won't, but there have been some weekly anime with consistent animation I.e.-, Pokemon, Precure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter. Although I'm not positive FMA Brotherhood was probably weekly and the animation was overall above average, however, what I care about is the writing. If I could pick, I would choose seasonal as that gives more preparation for creating a unique and consistent story and avoid pointless filler and padding.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 pm

prince212 wrote:I’d rather seasonal , but looks like that’s not Toei,s policy concerning this series . I.m.o quality >quantity
I Agree, the amount of Episodes is Never AS IMPORTANT as the Quality of the Episodes, This is Why I would Agree that some Animes, Super Included should be Seasonal!

Be like most America Prime-Time Shows, give us a routine time-frame to watch and a routine break-time to take a break, absorb what we saw and get ready for the next season, short of like how the Walking Dead does its seasons. Their is also this Classical story telling beauty to a seasonal show that you don't get with none-stop showings like animes do, I would like to see that added to Super or Even more so One Day for New Episodes of a New Sailor Moon Series, My Favorite Anime of All times!

But Nice Idea for a question Dragon Ball Gus! :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:05 am

Yes, it should but I don't think it's going to happen. Toei has made some big screw ups in the past but with good pre-production, they should be able to make good animation. I mean, Super is what it is, but Toei showed that if they want, they can make beautiful animation.
I'm more concerned about good script and consistency, but it's a matter for another topic.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 pm

IMO It would be best for the anime and the entire staff involved with it if it wasnt a weekly show. You can really tell there was some severe time constraints in a lot of the episodes. Like how many reused animations they used, or how many shots there were of the cast with just them talking about the events that litterally just transpired a few seconds ago, because its just easier to animate the mouth flaps (and sometimes their eyes) and fill out the running time.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:56 am

Seasonal would be cool if it means better animation and less filler. Filler can be good sometimes, but Super's was incredibly hit or miss.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 am

It really all comes down to planning and preparation.

A (roughly) 60 - 90 episode anime can be consistently good if the proper steps are taken to make sure quality is maintained. Having Super becoming a seasonal anime won't count for shit if the planning for it was as bad as Super's initial run, because the same problems would arise.

Good pre-production is paramount to the quality of any given animated show, regardless for how long they want it to initially last for.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:00 pm

I think it would be fine as another run of 60-100 episodes. I think the thing that hurt Super at it's onset was all of the animators coming off of a movie and focusing on the One Piece movie at the time, hence why the beginning arcs were as...meh as they are. Hopefully, when the series does return, it will be a priority for the team at Toei and we start off with some decent quality episodes (that will hopefully pick up at the start of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc)

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:38 pm

I wouldn't mind if it stayed as an all-year show or if it went seasonal. It was really fun to look forward to a new episode of Super every week that gave us something fresh to discuss with the current quality they're putting out (talking ToP saga).

However, I would also love it if they spent more time producing episodes with better visuals and a more thought-out story. But knowing Toei that probably isn't going to happen.