[Visual Comparison] Dragon Ball Minus / Super: Broly

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

[Visual Comparison] Dragon Ball Minus / Super: Broly

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 am

For those that like, are curious about or are interested in this sort of stuff, I've decided to make a comparison between 'Minus' and 'Super: Broly'. Considering that the latter adapted (and expanded upon) the content of the former, I've decided to list all the panels from Minus that got a direct corresponding frame from 'Broly'. Note that the order of this comparison follows Minus, not Broly.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: [Comparison] Dragon Ball Minus / Super: Broly

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:12 pm

The only major difference is Bardock's explanation as to why he is acting like that.

• In Dragon Ball Minus he says it's because of Gine's softness.
• In Dragon Ball Super Broly he says he wants to save something for a change.

I like both and don't really care about that difference. All in all, a truly 1:1 adaptation that could have been better if more stuff were added, if the movie spent more time in the past, as it should have been the case instead of wasting time and effort in senseless fights. Great to see Gine finally in an animation but she barely appears in the movie. As someone said in another thread: "Gine has less screentime than that random female Freeza's soldier's ass that sticks with Broly". Not the smartest idea if you ask me.

Oh, they also removed "watch out for the Galactic Patrolman". Well, since the past section ends without even showing the events of Jaco that take place in that moment, it makes sense but still, that's exactly the issue. It should have appeared Goku landing, Tights pushing Jaco off a cliff and Gohan finding Goku at least. Then the AGES appears on-screen.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: [Comparison] Dragon Ball Minus / Super: Broly

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Grimlock wrote:The only major difference is Bardock's explanation as to why he is acting like that.

• In Dragon Ball Minus he says it's because of Gine's softness.
• In Dragon Ball Super Broly he says he wants to save something for a change.

I like both and don't really care about that difference.
Yes, most of the dialogue is different. Or rather, worded differently. But this is mostly a visual comparison.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: [Visual Comparison] Dragon Ball Minus / Super: Broly

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:05 am

They didn't adapt the panel, where Gine and Bardock's tails were intwined, which is a shame.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:23 am

dbgtFO wrote:They didn't adapt the panel, where Gine and Bardock's tails were intwined, which is a shame.
There's no panel where that happens.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 am

The movie’s direction was very well done for the Minus’ part, also thanks to the incredibly amazing “Bardock Falls” by Sumitomo. Although, something I already noticed from the 2nd trailer, they didn’t do justice to Toriyama’s awesome layouts from when Bardock and Gine look at Goku’s pod in the space. That’s really the only part where I felt there was a downgrade.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:They didn't adapt the panel, where Gine and Bardock's tails were intwined, which is a shame.
There's no panel where that happens.
I must have imagined it then :lol:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 am

Dragon Ball Super: Broly deserves a lot of praise for making me like Dragon Ball Minus, as when I read the manga chapter, I hated it. This just goes to show how amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can impact something.
This shot of Bardock wasn't in Minus, but its possibly my favorite shot of Bardock.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 am

I much prefer Shintani's designs to Toriyama's modern style. It's just too lifeless.
DHM211 wrote:Dragon Ball Super: Broly deserves a lot of praise for making me like Dragon Ball Minus, as when I read the manga chapter, I hated it. This just goes to show how amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can impact something.
It shows how good character designs, direction, music and overall presentation can blind people to what they already thought was bad writing, if anything.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am

Doctor. wrote:I much prefer Shintani's designs to Toriyama's modern style. It's just too lifeless.
DHM211 wrote:Dragon Ball Super: Broly deserves a lot of praise for making me like Dragon Ball Minus, as when I read the manga chapter, I hated it. This just goes to show how amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can impact something.
It shows how good character designs, direction, music and overall presentation can blind people to what they already thought was bad writing, if anything.
Nope, it shows amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can make a mundane story feel interesting.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 am

DHM211 wrote:Nope, it shows amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can make a mundane story feel interesting.
I don't see how pretty colors and intentionally emotionally-manipulative music can make a bad story any better. It distracts you from it and makes it less easy to notice, which is why a lot of Hollywood trash gets praised on a daily basis, but the bad script is still there. I can't understand how someone can think Minus was bad but turn around on DBS Broly when it's the exact same story, with the exact same problems, just sugarcoated by prettier colors.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Nope, it shows amazing character designs, great direction, and phenomenal music can make a mundane story feel interesting.
I don't see how pretty colors and intentionally emotionally-manipulative music can make a bad story any better. It distracts you from it and makes it less easy to notice, which is why a lot of Hollywood trash gets praised on a daily basis, but the bad script is still there. I can't understand how someone can think Minus was bad but turn around on DBS Broly when it's the exact same story, with the exact same problems, just sugarcoated by prettier colors.
Visuals are a major component to how much people love a story. Toriyamas modern art looks terrible so it's hard for me to get invested in the story, Shintani's designs look great and pared with Sumitomo's music and Nagamine's direction, I'm able to get immersed in the story.
Also, it isn't exactly the same story, they included the destruction of planet Vegeta and Bardock's rebellion, for all those complaing that Bardock just died like an average Saiyan when Minus came out in 2014.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 am

DHM211 wrote:Visuals are a major component to how much people love a story. Toriyamas modern art looks terrible so it's hard for me to get invested in the story, Shintani's designs look great and pared with Sumitomo's music and Nagamine's direction, I'm able to get immersed in the story.
Also, it isn't exactly the same story, they included the destruction of planet Vegeta and Bardock's rebellion, for all those complaing that Bardock just died like an average Saiyan when Minus came out in 2014.
Presentation is a component when the script is good. If the script is no good, then the visuals are just padding. Good presentation complements a good script. Presentation can only do so much for a bad one.

Bardock's rebellion was already in the manga. The rebellion was good in the TV Special due to the circumstances that forced him to rebel, not simply just because he did it. His death is poignant because we've seen Bardock's arc throughout the special, not because he's Goku's father and we're supposed to care about him simply for that reason. Likewise with planet Vegeta's destruction, Freeza's motivation in the TV special was based on empirical evidence of Saiyan growth, with just the right touch of paranoia. He doesn't destroy it simply "because he has to." DBS Broly treats planet Vegeta's destruction as "well, it's a major part of the lore, so it must be included."

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm

emperior wrote:The movie’s direction was very well done for the Minus’ part, also thanks to the incredibly amazing “Bardock Falls” by Sumitomo. Although, something I already noticed from the 2nd trailer, they didn’t do justice to Toriyama’s awesome layouts from when Bardock and Gine look at Goku’s pod in the space. That’s really the only part where I felt there was a downgrade.
You mean the angle of the shot? I agree that Toriyama's version is better.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 pm

I've updated the original post with better pictures, fixed a few mistakes and added some descriptions when appropriate.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Doctor. wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 am
DHM211 wrote:Visuals are a major component to how much people love a story. Toriyamas modern art looks terrible so it's hard for me to get invested in the story, Shintani's designs look great and pared with Sumitomo's music and Nagamine's direction, I'm able to get immersed in the story.
Presentation is a component when the script is good. If the script is no good, then the visuals are just padding. Good presentation complements a good script. Presentation can only do so much for a bad one.

Bardock's rebellion was already in the manga. The rebellion was good in the TV Special due to the circumstances that forced him to rebel, not simply just because he did it. His death is poignant because we've seen Bardock's arc throughout the special, not because he's Goku's father and we're supposed to care about him simply for that reason. Likewise with planet Vegeta's destruction, Freeza's motivation in the TV special was based on empirical evidence of Saiyan growth, with just the right touch of paranoia. He doesn't destroy it simply "because he has to." DBS Broly treats planet Vegeta's destruction as "well, it's a major part of the lore, so it must be included."
out of the psychic powers ... it was because of the death of his companions although for me the original bardock always had an inconsistent personality but .... poignant ? TV Special shows saiyans in general as "cretins" and bardock is not so different from them with their contempt for their children and it is not that he change later ... something about it is basically he is same when starting and finishing the TV Special he only seems to care about his son when he sees his revenge realized .
it's really hard to say that it was "poignant" he lived a "tragedy" but he was not a good guy either No matter how cool this may sound, I do not think the word to define it.