What should be done next with Broly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

What should be done next with Broly?

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm

So, spoiler alert, Broly is still around at the end of the movie, not particularly a bad guy either.

Now obviously the character will make a reappearance, it might not be in this current Galactic Patrol arc, it might not be the next arc, it might not even be the one after that but he will come back.

What I'm asking is what should be done next with the character? Not particularly the long run, specifically the next story he's involved with.

Should he have gained full control of his power by his next appearance or would that take away from one of the characters more interesting aspects? In which case should he still have problems with keeping his power in control?

Does he show up unexpectedly to save Goku and Vegeta from a new powerful villain? If so does he get treated as a stepping stone like Hit or does he remain a top tier character?

Or do they keep him in a more antagonist role for now? Perhaps another villain might take control of him and use him against the protagonists and maybe only towards the end of the saga does he finally get control and then helps defeat the villain?

I think they should make the movie towards him becomimg a good guy but they shouldn't get rid of his power being unstable. Otherwise he runs the risk of just being boring.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What should be done next with Broly?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm

I want his green form to be uncontrollable and nearly kill him when he uses it so that it feels more like a last-ditch weapon. His normal Super Saiyan can be his trump card.

I'd like him and Chirai to have some kids and go around space running a cargo ship or something.

Should he learn what Freeza did to Paragus that would be interesting to see play out, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Unlike Hit, Broly got outclassed only by two characters merging together. So, he won't get that kind of treatment. I also don't see him becoming evil or controlled by someone else (actually that was the whole plot of the movie). I don't see Broly's power as unstable, though, that was from the lame old Broly and Kale's thing, this one is pretty on top of it, he just encountered a stronger character.

I'd like to see him become the third member of the saiyan patrol, sort of what Hulk is in the Avengers.

What really messes things up is that Goku is planning to spar with him, but then at EoZ(in like 4 years) he leaves everything behind to go spar with... Oob? we can get around Jiren, Toppo, Kefla, because they were one time bouts with people from other universes, but having Broly ready to exchange some blows and being able to do that with just one shunkanido trip makes everything so weird and sloppy. So, maybe we shouldn't see Broly again until after EoZ.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 pm

I think that Broly should gain control of his power and evolve it.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm

If the U6 saiyans dont get it, give Broly SSJ4 under a new name. Make the fur oozaru-brown instead of red. Broly already has the yellow eyes and spiked up, yet still black, hair.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 am

Hulk10 wrote:I think that Broly should gain control of his power and evolve it.
Would that run the risk of him becoming boring?

The reason why Broly was always so popular was because of his overflowing and uncontrollable power and his rage. He's Dragon Ball's version of the Hulk and people love him for it.

If you take that away from him and he'll be in control of himself then isn't he gonna the lose the thing that makes him popular in the first place? He might just become another good guy Saiyan with a unique looking form.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

I like the idea of Broly getting control to an extent. Give him his Super Saiyan form (and I guess keep the wrathful form around. Wouldn't bother me to fizzle it out), maybe let him get SSJ2. But then when the going gets tough or his friends are in danger, he hulks out to his Full Power form

I also think with Whis being involved, he could be somewhat interested in Broly as this was the first time (that's he witnessed) that Goku and Vegeta fused together to stop him. Cant help but think back to him grinning before the last Kamehameha

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Bullza wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I think that Broly should gain control of his power and evolve it.
Would that run the risk of him becoming boring?

The reason why Broly was always so popular was because of his overflowing and uncontrollable power and his rage. He's Dragon Ball's version of the Hulk and people love him for it.

If you take that away from him and he'll be in control of himself then isn't he gonna the lose the thing that makes him popular in the first place? He might just become another good guy Saiyan with a unique looking form.
Not necessarily. There are elements in Marvel where Hulk can control himself.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:42 pm

If Broly does gain control of himself, it should be at the cost of being less powerful. Maybe he figures out normal super saiyan forms, but finds them to be weaker than his full power out of control state. I'm honestly waiting to see what will happen if/when he meets Kale, it's bound to happen at some point.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 pm

I would like to see him regain his tail and gain control and gain more power. There is no reason I can think of why Broly would get weaker with control.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 pm

The Tournament of Power ought to be like an annual thing (or once every couple of years kind of thing, but without the fate of the universes on the line), and Broly is recruited over say, Roshi who finally retires from fighting (not necessarily from training/training others though). At which time, Broly has gained some control over his transformation.

Some.

When confronted with powerhouses like Jiren though, it may push Broly beyond that control or something. His power would unsettle some of the GoDs while garnering the interest of the Angels and what not, who ask Whis if he's training him to take over for Beerus (who bristles at the mention).

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I think it's time for the universe 6 and 7 to team up.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 am

I like the idea of Broly having control of his Super Saiyan form but not his Legendary Super Saiyan form.

That way he could show up at the last minute to save Goku and Vegeta as some kind of protagonist, he'd fight the villain but would eventually get overpowered and that would then push him over the edge into his Legendary Super Saiyan form where'd be all out of control again.

He'd defeat the villain but then he wouldn't stop and he'd attack everyone so someone, maybe Whis, would need to intervene to stop him.

That way they can progress him as a protagonist but still keep his antagonist ramping mature which makes him so popular.

I don't think he should just become a good guy and that's it because that'd be boring. They should play both sides for a while.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am

Bullza wrote:I like the idea of Broly having control of his Super Saiyan form but not his Legendary Super Saiyan form.

That way he could show up at the last minute to save Goku and Vegeta as some kind of protagonist, he'd fight the villain but would eventually get overpowered and that would then push him over the edge into his Legendary Super Saiyan form where'd be all out of control again.

He'd defeat the villain but then he wouldn't stop and he'd attack everyone so someone, maybe Whis, would need to intervene to stop him.

That way they can progress him as a protagonist but still keep his antagonist ramping mature which makes him so popular.

I don't think he should just become a good guy and that's it because that'd be boring. They should play both sides for a while.
So similar to Kale except taking Broly longer to fully control his Full Power form? I'd be okay with that, it would literally make Broly a wild card.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So similar to Kale except taking Broly longer to fully control his Full Power form? I'd be okay with that, it would literally make Broly a wild card.
In a way, just done to a significantly better extent over a much longer period of time.

They're gonna make Broly a good guy eventually but it would be a mistake to do that straight away, a big one probably considering he's the second most popular villain. It should be a gradual thing.

Or maybe it should never happen. Instead of just becoming a straight up generic good guy, maybe he should be a good guy but can snap at any moment and then becomes a danger to anyone around him.

There's probably a character like that but I can't think of one off the top of my head. All I can think of is Wolverine and his Berserker rage where he's a good guy normally until he snaps and then just shreds people.

That kinda role, where Broly could save the day...or could make things much worse. That way they can keep him unpredictable and maintain his iconic Legendary Super Saiyan form as this overflowing rampaging monster that'll as soon smash a part Goku as the villain.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:52 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:If the U6 saiyans dont get it, give Broly SSJ4 under a new name. Make the fur oozaru-brown instead of red. Broly already has the yellow eyes and spiked up, yet still black, hair.
Thas sounds way weaker and less special than a regular SSj though. Prolly the reason why they didn't make the fur brown in actual GT (though to be fair ssj4 was based off the golden monkey form, they knew damn well that the regular one wouldn't cut it at that point in the series). But yeah, red was a random as shit color with no connection to anything else. When left to their own devices, Toei designs are colored like bootleg toys made with whatever dye the company has in stock. Like Vegeta's initial appearance armor for example.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Probably should still “struggle” to control his power but it’d be cool if he was sorta a help/hindrance type of character. Could lead to some interesting areas.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 pm

To add onto what I said earlier...

To have little Brolys running around.

Vegeta and Goku already beat him to that, and Goku is even a grandpa!

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Maybe things like

- Broly & Cheelai come along with Goku & Vegeta to U6 Planet Sadala.

- maybe Broly meets Jiren?

- Maybe goku does some God Ki training with Broly so that Broly can control his power better (not lead to SSJ Blue Broly, just Broly in control of himself when fighting with the SSJ forms)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I hope that, at first, they leave him out of the games for a while, be it an arc or more, until Goku is a little stronger/bored and decides to go to Broly to train him up and have some sparring matches with him. By training with Goku, Broly would learn how to sense and control Ki, and how to fight without relying on his eyes.
Broly still shouldn’t go Super Saiyan there, as that would bring the risk of him losing his sanity. But in his base form, Broly should still be around Super Saiyan Goku level if not stronger.
I don’t think he should become buddy-buddy with Goku, but the two could develop a bond because they respect each other as fighters.

There’s also Freeza to consider. He’s stated that he intends to have Broly by his side to defeat Goku and Vegeta. While Broly wouldn’t have a reason to kill Goku, he still could hold some profound and unreasonable hate for Vegeta due to his upbringing.
Freeza could teach Broly a few things himself, such as having Broly undergo the same training regime he did to get stronger.
We could have some fantastic scenes of Broly getting stronger through pummelling hundreds of hundreds of Freeza’s soldiers, and also him training with Freeza and slowly getting influenced by his evil attitude.

Right now Broly is still a blank sheet, so it would be a nice dynamic to have both Goku and Freeza pay him some visits, each influencing him in their own right.
There are also Cheelye and Lemo who aren’t exactly two good people, who could influence Broly into becoming a delinquent guy himself. He may go with their flow, not doing bad things because he enjoys to but because he sees them doing bad things and so he copies them believing that to be the right behaviour to have. I think that would be something we could expect from a guy like Broly who has lived his entire life as his father’s slave.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical