God of Destruction Mode

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

God of Destruction Mode

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am

Ok I know that in the context of what the show had set up this form doesn’t make sense. However to admit my bias befor hand that this is know my favourite transformation ever.

What I wanted to talk about was how this could have been better built into the series and worked to keep the GoD relevant without doing... what ever it is they are right now. My idea is that all the GoD should be able to take Destroyer Mode form. It would be the true form of a hakaishin, when they truly become destruction incarnate.

How this could work with characters like Broly and Jiren is that, they are stronger then a God of Destruction “in their normal state”.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: God of Destruction Mode

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am

The form is anime only, so that should be taken into consideration. Once Toppo decided he was becoming a GoD they implied there was no going back, and it would have made sense if that form was permanent, but after he was beat he just transformed back. But the fact it’s anime only, it’s highly likely we will never see anything like that again. If a character becomes a GoD they will probably look the same but have a master of destruction ki and stop aging.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 am

dragon boss z wrote:The form is anime only, so that should be taken into consideration. Once Toppo decided he was becoming a GoD they implied there was no going back, and it would have made sense if that form was permanent, but after he was beat he just transformed back. But the fact it’s anime only, it’s highly likely we will never see anything like that again. If a character becomes a GoD they will probably look the same but have a master of destruction ki and stop aging.
So possibly this form is because Toppo’s training is incomplete? An intrasting idea.

It being anime only is not as clear cut as it was in the old days given that the anime and manga are interpreted from whatever script Toriyama rights up. That and the fact that it seems the anime’s events are given priority over the mangas when it comes to what used for other stuff like games. That hints at a general bias for anime. At least that’s how it looks to me.

Edit: also what I’m trying to get at is that yes this is just thrown in to power up Top, if there had been sum better planning and discussion back stage this could have been a good way to keep the GoD relevant rather then having the confusion about is Beerus still more powerful or have Goku, Jiren and Broly truly surpassed him.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:39 am

Lord Frieza wrote: It being anime only is not as clear cut as it was in the old days given that the anime and manga are interpreted from whatever script Toriyama rights up. That and the fact that it seems the anime’s events are given priority over the mangas when it comes to what used for other stuff like games. That hints at a general bias for anime. At least that’s how it looks to me.
When it comes to video games and other media, for sure. The anime is more popular so of course they will capatilze off of it. However when it comes to Toriyama’s future ideas, he tends to leave out anything he wasn’t a part of creating himself. For example SSBkk and SSBE being left out in the Broly movie. I really liked Toppo’s GoD form as well, and I think it would be cool to see it again, I just kind of doubt it will happen or any other character will get such a form. All of the other gods of destruction have really simple looking forms, so I doubt Toriyama is going to start designing new buff monsters to be GoD. Toppo’s base design actually fits right in with the other GoD, while his GoD form makes him stand apart. Now if every GoD has a power up form that is similar that would be another story.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 am

The way I always saw the form was Toppo's means of attaining the power and abilities of a God of Destruction without actually being one just yet.

It's similar to how Goku and Vegeta only become gods with the god-forms, SSG and SSB. As mortals, they can't naturally tap into that power in their normal states, but they can through transformations. I think Toppo is similar in this regard.

Basically, as a mortal whom is a candidate for Universe 11's God of Destruction position, he can't naturally utilize Hakai Energy without using a transformation. However, once his training is complete and he takes up the position full-time, he'll become a God of Destruction in every way; in essence, his god-form will become his normal state. This would also mean that, in my opinion, all the other Gods of Destruction started as candidates who needed to use transformations while they were still mortals training to become the next Gods of Destruction and use that power, at least until they took up the position full-time and became true gods.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 pm

I think the form is similar to when Goku and Vegeta were training and first felt God Ki for the first time. It's a form of a GoD in training where they can utilize the power of destruction but lack the complete formal training to make it their own and control it to an extent. Hence why Toppo was shooting off Hakai energy like mad. I think with further training he could get to a point where he has more control.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Toei just needed new cards, toys, and video game DLCs. They make a transformation out of everything.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:21 pm

they never called it transformation as such, it can only be assumed that in state it has "god ki" with hakai and that is why the change

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Tai Lung wrote:they never called it transformation as such, it can only be assumed that in state it has "god ki" with hakai and that is why the change
Actually, Freeza did.

In the English sub on Crunchyroll, Freeza says he was expecting an impressive transformation but then follows up by mocking Toppo for "looking angry". The original Japanese dialogue also uses the word for transformation.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 pm

dragon boss z wrote:The form is anime only, so that should be taken into consideration. Once Toppo decided he was becoming a GoD they implied there was no going back, and it would have made sense if that form was permanent, but after he was beat he just transformed back. But the fact it’s anime only, it’s highly likely we will never see anything like that again. If a character becomes a GoD they will probably look the same but have a master of destruction ki and stop aging.
This doesn't mean nothing, because the anime version is canon, not the manga, who is merely promotional material.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:This doesn't mean nothing, because the anime version is canon, not the manga, who is merely promotional material.
Care to post up a source saying the "anime is canon and not the manga?" Toppo's form just being in the anime doesn't make it true.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm

I think that form might be unique to Top.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
This doesn't mean nothing, because the anime version is canon, not the manga, who is merely promotional material.
First off, that's wrong. Neither are more canon than the other. Toyotaro designed half of the GoD and he is now doing an manga only arc (for now) and you want to call it promotional material? Please, stop letting your bias get in the way.
The reason it being anime only matters isn't because the manga is more canon, but because it means it wasn't from Toriyama, which means it is unlikely to show up again in future plots. Same reason why SSBKK and SSBE weren't in the Broly movie. Manga only forms like mastered SSB are also on my list of things Toriyama will probably ignore in the future. If it doesn't' show up in both the anime and manga, it is likely not part of Toriyama's script.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 am

To expand a bit more on what I said earlier, I genuinely that, it wasn't a snide joke.
RandomGuy96 wrote:This chapter did handily convince me, along with all the previous ones, that somewhere in Toei is a guy trying to ring every possible trading card, toy, video game DLC, etc. out of Toriyama's outline as humanly possible. I feel like any instance of "character becomes stronger or weaker" in the outline gets turned into a transformation in the anime given the complete lack of all these forms in the manga which follows Toriyama's same outline with a closer level of supervision (and that's not even getting into completely original ones like "controlled LSS Kale", "100% Full Power Frost", "SSG3 Caulifla", "LSS2 Kefla" and so on). Some examples of how the same points are adapted:

"Goku fights Hit with ten times Vegeta's power"
Manga: Vegeta was gassed out because of the flaws of SSB, which are a recurring plot point, so regular SSB Goku was ten times stronger than him.
Anime: new transformation, Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-Ken x10

"Trunks gets angry and attacks the Zamasus to save his dad"
Manga: Trunks overpowers Future Zamasu who he's already stronger than, and hits Black while he's off guard to make a distraction, while Black is focused on trying to stop Vegeta and Goku from escaping
Anime: new transformation, Super Saiyan Rage

"Toppo is a GoD candidate with hakai ki that makes him a tough foe for Vegeta and one of the top five strongest guys at the tournament"
Manga: Toppo just switches his god ki on and off invisibly like everyone else, is just that strong
Anime: new transformation, God of Destruction Toppo (even though no one else needs to become a ten-foot tall purple dude to be a GoD)

"Fused Zamasu fights Vegetto and is losing"
Manga: Vegetto hammers Zamasu easily, standard stuff
Anime: new transformations, Mutated Fused Zamasu and Giant Mutated Fused Zamasu.

"Vegeta gets stronger mid-fight and overwhelms Toppo"
Manga: Vegeta gets a rage power-up inside his normal SSB, with no visual change besides the aura (which changed both for SSB and SS repeatedly without a form change), calling back to when he did the same thing with his SS2 against Beerus
Anime: new transformation, Super Saiyan Blue Evolution.

"Jiren goes full power and crushes full-power Goku"
Manga: Jiren just does a standard power-up because he was already established as holding back.
Anime: Jiren becomes stronger mid-fight by unleashing his hidden power and undergoes a transformation which changes his aura, doubles his mass, and makes him a good foot and then some taller

"Gohan restarts his training and becomes full-power SSB level, before vowing to eventually surpass that level in his own unique way"
Manga: Gohan takes Elder Kaioshin's words to heart, rejects the idea of transforming like a Saiyan to get stronger, and chooses to just train his 'Ultimate' base in the future.
Anime: Gohan swears to get a flashy new form no one else has (TBA).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:"Vegeta gets stronger mid-fight and overwhelms Toppo"
Manga: Vegeta gets a rage power-up inside his normal SSB, with no visual change besides the aura (which changed both for SSB and SS repeatedly without a form change), calling back to when he did the same thing with his SS2 against Beerus
Anime: new transformation, Super Saiyan Blue Evolution.
Many people still interpret that as SSBE in the manga, too. It isn't uncommon to see people refer to "manga SSBE Vegeta." I don't care enough to know definitively how I feel, but there's an argument that could be made that it exists in both.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:15 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:they never called it transformation as such, it can only be assumed that in state it has "god ki" with hakai and that is why the change
Actually, Freeza did.

In the English sub on Crunchyroll, Freeza says he was expecting an impressive transformation but then follows up by mocking Toppo for "looking angry". The original Japanese dialogue also uses the word for transformation.
I meant rather that they do not call it as such "God of Destruction Mode" or something like that in the series

I can assume that the change of appearance is only for difference when toppo is using "god ki" and when not

Miracles wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:This doesn't mean nothing, because the anime version is canon, not the manga, who is merely promotional material.
Care to post up a source saying the "anime is canon and not the manga?" Toppo's form just being in the anime doesn't make it true.
It is very easy .. the author say that the series super anime was the official continuation after of Z reason why also the anime adapted the films so as not to be dependent while preserving their own continuity while the movies now are discontinued.

is not the case of the manga has been said that it is only advertising and also is very incomplete because it depends on extra material to tell a story instead of adapting events.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/dr ... ries-plot/
Last edited by Tai Lung on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:26 pm

I think this is the same case as UI. Like how you can get UI without needing to transform, you can become a G.o.D and access hakai energy without needing to transform.

But just like Goku first needed to transform to utilize Ultra Instinct, Toppo needs to transform to utilize hakai energy. But when Goku masters UI and Toppo masters hakai energy, they wont need to transform to utilize ultra Instinct or hakai energy.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Miracles wrote:
It is very easy .. the author say that the series super anime was the official continuation after of Z reason why also the anime adapted the films so as not to be dependent while preserving their own continuity while the movies now are discontinued.

is not the case of the manga has been said that it is only advertising and also is very incomplete because it depends on extra material to tell a story instead of adapting events.

Exactly.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Actually, Freeza did.

I meant rather that they do not call it as such "God of Destruction Mode" or something like that in the series

I can assume that the change of appearance is only for difference when toppo is using "god ki" and when not

Miracles wrote:

That's not saying the anime is canon but continuity. You saying the movies, which are written by Toriyama himself [making them the actual canon], being discontinued, is false BTW. Especially when he had the Broly movie come out which didn't even adhere to the anime's views of Super.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Miracles wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Actually, Freeza did.

Miracles wrote: Care to post up a source saying the "anime is canon and not the manga?" Toppo's form just being in the anime doesn't make it true.

That's not saying the anime is canon but continuity. You saying the movies, which are written by Toriyama himself [making them the actual canon], being discontinued, is false BTW. Especially when he had the Broly movie come out which didn't even adhere to the anime's views of Super.
are there movies from the universe 6 tournament?
are there movies from the zamasu arc?
they were written by the author also ...
the manga don't have an adaptation of the broly movie or resurrection of frieza
written by the author too
the movies will be able to follow but is incomplete, the manga is also incomplete.
it seems clear to me what is the main canon.
the movies can not be considered a continuity apart if they did not continue adapting the entire script and the manga depends on extra material to continue their story.