Kai Episode 92 (06 February 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 92 (6th February 2011)

Post by Puto » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 am

I wouldn't mind Kai not being reanimated so much if the footage had been treated properly back in the day instead of having been done using the cheapest materials possible. Look at Card Captor Sakura, for example; they used high quality stock and animation materials, and as such, they could do an amazing remaster for the Blu-ray release that looks absolutely gorgeous. If DBZ's footage looked anywhere near as good as that, I wouldn't have any problem with keeping the old animation. But as-is...
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 am

No they do not, they are fans of inferior series.
As I'm seeing it... there's no inferior series here. only inferior people/fans... and if truly these are inferior series why do I keep finding praise among thousands of fans, with all that filler yet they still enjoy it, I do find db a superior series than naruto. yet "fans" want to prove me wrong, we're fans of the same thing! yet there's so much trouble between us fans that it almost makes me wish dragon ball would die away!. seriusly makes me sick it's such a hard thing to say.... "I just Love Z better. but this and this were better". or "Dbz was miles better here, yet this was really sweet" out of all things done in Kai, something has to come out good or even better. yet it's so hard...
kei17 wrote:
AoiKageNoChikara wrote:I've seen people watching other anime (or games) that get seriusly generic music yet they enjoy it, But dragon ball fans pick on dragon ball? naruto/bleach fans would kill for their anime to get a Kai treatment yet... us the dragon ball fans just pick on every new thing we get... I know people just won't agree with me because I want... but aren't these type of comments a bit exagerated? to say the music is actually bad.... I would understand "This just doesn't feel like original dragon ball" and I even respect that one.... but to say it's bad no matter what, no discussion to it's level of dissapointment... to even put it down in front of a synthetized american score.... this just amazes to no end. but to each his own I guess... *scratches head*
Well, you don't have to try to persuade everyone who says the Kai version isn't good.. :P
Well, I have the right to protect what I like as any hardcore original japanese fan has the right to defend it against hardcore funi/faulconer ones :D

Now I'm really finding it pointless to continue this, Before knowing it I kinda wanted to strike my opinion into others, sorry for that guys. I take my part of Blame, But I still die with my point of view. People are beign too unfair with Kai here, of course not everyone.

I'm off now, I'll wait for the next episode and do what many don't know how to do... watch and freaking enjoy. bye!

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:00 am

I haven't been watching Kai"other than the US Dub" but I prefer the bgm for kai during Gohan's transformation far more than the Z version.
It's epic, it fit's the scene far better, it's orchestrated!

Spirit vs Spirit is far from a bad song heck I have the CD quality version on my ipod along with the original runs version at the same time, but this is just one of those scenes where you want absolutely NO FREAKING SINGING!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 am

Some people say that the music wasn't Dragonball appropriate, but to me it felt Draonball video game appropriate... like maybe something from the PS1 era. Give that song a backbeat and it would fit right in with DBZ Legends.

Rightfully so, too, considering who is doing the music for the show.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 am

AoiKageNoChikara wrote:I'm off now, I'll wait for the next episode and do what many don't know how to do... watch and freaking enjoy. bye!
Stop being so condescending.

This is a message board. People are going to talk about the show in detail. Sometimes they don't like everything they see or hear. And they have the right to express their thoughts in a civil manner, which is what everyone in this thread has done.
-Rachel

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 am

TripleRach wrote:
AoiKageNoChikara wrote:I'm off now, I'll wait for the next episode and do what many don't know how to do... watch and freaking enjoy. bye!

This is a message board. People are going to talk about the show in detail. Sometimes they don't like everything they see or hear. And they have the right to express their thoughts in a civil manner, which is what everyone in this thread has done.
Everything you said is true... but opinions can be good and bad, some people disagree This version is better than Z (thus disagreeing with me). yet they atleast give it righteous credit (which makes me respect their opinion, it's now a good opinion, to each his own right?)... others don't and are beign extremely unfair with the show,they don't only say Z's better, but actually say the music in Kai is horrid... which is not...

Now please. let me go :S If my words and not true, they shouldn't budge any of you, Should a fool like me retain dialog with such mature people like you my friends? of course not, as a fool I am. my words should have no importance to you. I already said what I had to say, I want to go, if I go I won't be a nuisance, would you like anyone get a sight of you discussing with a clown? I think not.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:21 am

Puto wrote:I wouldn't mind Kai not being reanimated so much if the footage had been treated properly back in the day instead of having been done using the cheapest materials possible. Look at Card Captor Sakura, for example; they used high quality stock and animation materials, and as such, they could do an amazing remaster for the Blu-ray release that looks absolutely gorgeous. If DBZ's footage looked anywhere near as good as that, I wouldn't have any problem with keeping the old animation. But as-is...
To be fair, DragonBall Z was done by one of the cheapest, Scroogiest studios, and done in the late 80's and early 90's. Cardcaptor Sakura was not only done in the late 90's, when quality would have improved, but was done by a different studio anyway.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:51 am

Ashy-kun wrote: To be fair, DragonBall Z was done by one of the cheapest, Scroogiest studios, and done in the late 80's and early 90's. Cardcaptor Sakura was not only done in the late 90's, when quality would have improved, but was done by a different studio anyway.
Toei is infamous for it's low budget politic.
Still, I think they did a better job with Dragonball and Sailor Moon than they do with One Piece and Digimon.
Think of battles like Goku vs. Cell or Goku vs. Piccolo, I don't see that level of animantion comming from them anymore. It's only in some movies that I see them invest more money and effort on. (I'm still crossing my thumbs for DB movie at the end of Kai :D )

It's one of the reasons why I'm actually happy they didn't redo Dragon Ball Z from scratch. Aside from the character desings they use now, the animation would've have been cheap.
I've seen the new special that came out for Raging blast 2 and frankly speaking, ugh.....

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 am

AoiKageNoChikara wrote:
TripleRach wrote:

Everything you said is true... but opinions can be good and bad, some people disagree This version is better than Z (thus disagreeing with me). yet they atleast give it righteous credit (which makes me respect their opinion, it's now a good opinion, to each his own right?)... others don't and are beign extremely unfair with the show,they don't only say Z's better, but actually say the music in Kai is horrid... which is not...

Now please. let me go :S If my words and not true, they shouldn't budge any of you, Should a fool like me retain dialog with such mature people like you my friends? of course not, as a fool I am. my words should have no importance to you. I already said what I had to say, I want to go, if I go I won't be a nuisance, would you like anyone get a sight of you discussing with a clown? I think not.
There is nothing like bad or good opinion, only personal taste. Some people are acting like Conquistadors on the internet, when someone doesn't share their own belief or opinion, they are trying to convert him to share it, or at least are bitching and rude about it. Tolerancy and understanding is the Key for not only better civilization, but also better discussion.
It is also something, that lot of people is appearantly missing or unable to get.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Now I'll answer this for myself. The voice of Wakamoto is not the same as in DBZ, it's definitely changed due to his age. But, the quality is still damn good. Personally I think I'd be an asshole to judge any of the voice actors or actresses because of their age.
I don't think it's necessarily his age, he's just changed his style of acting over the years. I'm used to the cool, calm and collected voices he used to do (with the occasional angry outburst) in the '80s and '90s, such as Coach from GunBuster, or Vicious from Cowboy Bebop, or Cell. Now, it seems like he's told to play every one of his characters like they're completely insane. (Emperor from Code Geass, Alexander Anderson from Hellsing, Oda Nobunaga from Sengoku Basara, etc.) It seems that style of speaking just carried over to his new Cell performance.
Undercooked Sausage wrote:Really happen that Furukawa-san toned down his gutteral GOHAN! after the transformation, and it sounds more like it's in awe than concern. Piccolo's delivery of that always sounded way to angry in DBZ.
Really? I always loved how he delivered that in DBZ. One of my favorite parts of the transformation. I didn't have a problem with the delivery in DBKai, but it definitely stood out to me...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Kendamu wrote:Some people say that the music wasn't Dragonball appropriate, but to me it felt Draonball video game appropriate... like maybe something from the PS1 era. Give that song a backbeat and it would fit right in with DBZ Legends.
This was my exact thought watching that scene. Felt like something straight out of Ultimate Battle 22.

In that context, I kind of dig it. But I've never particularly felt that the PS1 era music matched Dragon Ball either. Funny that this almost feels more like 1992 than "Spirit vs. Spirit" though.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm of two minds of the scene. I do agree with whoever said the music started up too abruptly. I think that contributes to people feeling that the scene goes by too fast. I loved the actual music part of this scene, but I have to say the choir ruined it for me. That's not to say that choirs are inherently bad or don't belong in Dragon Ball. Some of my favorite pieces of Kikuchi's score are choral pieces. But this one just fell flat. First of all, I have to say it sounds like it's synth rather than the real thing. I can't confirm that. But I'm of the opinion that orchestral-type music just loses all of its emotional weight when it's synthesized, and this choir just sounds light and fluffy. Even if it's not synthesized and is real people singing, it's the wrong kind of choir, the wrong vocal type, or the wrong kind of performance. It sounds like Christmas carols. This particular piece of music would have benefitted greatly if they'd dropped the choral part of it and just let the (very good) music stand on its own.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Just saw the next episode preview, and I can't believe they're going to show the redundant powerup again.. That could and should've easily been cut out. /facepalm
They're getting lazy with the filler cutting I think.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:17 pm

sbk wrote:Just saw the next episode preview, and I can't believe they're going to show the redundant powerup again.. That could and should've easily been cut out. /facepalm
They're getting lazy with the filler cutting I think.
You know that's probably not going to take more than the opening thirty seconds.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:43 pm

I've watched the scene again and again.

It made me realize just how underwhelming the scene ended up playing out. The music is *okay* but really...it lacks that special feel to it. It's kinda hard to describe. It definitely shows how lacking Kai's score is in variety. Hell, I just noticed that they even omitted the Oozaru roar that was used in the original. Instead it seems like they went with "powerful, wavey" sounds emitting from him. Again, hard to explain but you might get what I mean when listening to it. Honestly, we've had a good chunk of actual lyrical music made for not-so important scenes (Ginyu Special Corps. presenting themselves, Vegeta charging up against Reacoom and the assault on Freeza after transforming into his final form), yet the important scenes get stubbed with regular pieces (Trunks killing Freeza and this scene). It kinda makes me scratch my head and wonder why not doing something for the important scenes too?

I know this one has been beaten to death when people expected Super Dragon Soul for Goku's transformation (which I believe didn't fit with the situation), but I think this was the actual one time where it would have been absolutely perfect for the scene. While the footage comes from Z (well aware the scene's slightly shorter in Kai), it does show how well timed the song is with the actual transformation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AblY4CAjdpU
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:39 am

My nostalgia-bias continues to make me enjoy spirit vs. spirit in all it's cheesy j-pop glory over the Kai version. That being said, Kai's version of the scene, FAR from sucked, it was just different, but hit all the right beats of what this moment in the story ment.

Overall this was way better than Kai's ssj Goku scene, atleast in japanese, as Sean's delivery in the dub majorly salvaged it with his far better scream.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 pm

I knew I forgot to say something in my first post, which was about Ryou Horikawa. His vocal expression combined with the animated expression of Vegeta right when the Cell Juniors attack is absolutely orgasmic.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Tsukento wrote:I know this one has been beaten to death when people expected Super Dragon Soul for Goku's transformation (which I believe didn't fit with the situation), but I think this was the actual one time where it would have been absolutely perfect for the scene. While the footage comes from Z (well aware the scene's slightly shorter in Kai), it does show how well timed the song is with the actual transformation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AblY4CAjdpU
I always forget how much I love the Latin scream.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 am

The Gohan SSJ2 transformation scene.

Original Z > Kai

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 am

Michsi wrote:
It's one of the reasons why I'm actually happy they didn't redo Dragon Ball Z from scratch. Aside from the character desings they use now, the animation would've have been cheap.
I've seen the new special that came out for Raging blast 2 and frankly speaking, ugh.....
QFT. That special for Raging Blast 2 was lazy, and uninspired. Just..no.