Kai Episode 103 (04 May 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 103 (04 May 2014)

Post by ZombieVito » Sat May 10, 2014 1:56 pm

I really don't get why people are complaining... The pacing was excellent.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat May 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Zombie wrote:I really don't get why people are complaining... The pacing was excellent.
Because the current pacing of Kai's Buu arc does not allow any scene to pause or have any moments of silence to let the images and/or dialogue to have the full impact on the audience. It just cuts from shot to shot with little to no breathing room. And the musical score seems to just merely fill scenes, not enhance them or create any kind of mood. At least that's what I gather from people's comments overall.

Which I don't really mind, since this is Kai (intended to be a different product) and NOT the original Z. Kai is what it is...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
Zombie wrote:I really don't get why people are complaining... The pacing was excellent.
Because the current pacing of Kai's Buu arc does not allow any scene to pause or have any moments of silence to let the images and/or dialogue to have the full impact on the audience. It just cuts from shot to shot with little to no breathing room. And the musical score seems to just merely fill scenes, not enhance them or create any kind of mood. At least that's what I gather from people's comments overall.

Which I don't really mind, since this is Kai (intended to be a different product) and NOT the original Z. Kai is what it is...
I guess then you will be happy since the pacing is slowing down to have 69 episodes to sell.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 pm

See? This is what I don't get. Why are people equating Kai with "Absolutely breakneck pacing" as though that's a good thing? It's supposed to cut out filler, yes. It's supposed to be faster paced than the sometimes soporific Z. So by all means do those things, but faster doesn't necessarily mean better or improved, especially if you're just going to positively rush through every damn moment. Giving it a decent pace isn't filler. It's being a good storyteller, and telling your story too fast can be just as bad as telling it too slowly.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 11, 2014 12:13 am

I think I'd just be happier with the editing if they just stopped cutting directly to the next shot or scene a frame after a character finishes talking. Let the impact of a line sink in...

It doesn't ruin the experience for me, since I'm used to the original Japanese Z, the manga, and the FUNimation dub, and I choose to look at Kai as it's own entity: a super light and lean cut of DBZ.

But the rapid cutting is super noticeable to someone like me who pursues animation and film as a career choice.

That said, it looks like the pacing is going to settle in subsequent episodes, so maybe we'll have some tension/mood/atmosphere established in this version.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 am

Well...I got bored, so I decided to give this episode and 104 a watch.

Holy crap! What on earth is up with the editing? I thought I was watching the episode in fast-forward- even the dialogue sounds sped up. They never allow you to enjoy the moment and take everything in. It's literally cutcutcutcutcutcutcutcutcut. Reaction shots are "blink and you'll miss" and I noticed a lot of awkward editing.

As someone who's seen these episodes and knows how the story goes, it's OK to watch and it's reasonably entertaining. But as a stand-alone show for a newcomer to the series? Ugh. The opening and ending are still awesome though. :D The actual music in the show? Barely notice it. Just sounds like random noise that starts and stops at regular intervals.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Sorry for the bump, but to anybody who's already seen this episode, did they cut out the Cell Games Reenactment? That was one of the best parts of the Buu arc :oops:

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Yes, that filler scene was cut out of the Japanese version. However, it was actually kept in the international version of the Majin Buu arc.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks, great to hear the international version keeping it :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 am

That's one filler that I love is kept.