Kai Episode 103 (04 May 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 103 (04 May 2014)

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 103, aired 04 May 2014

みんなビックリ!悟天とトランクスの超バトル!!
Min'na Bikkuri! Goten to Toranksu no Chō-Batoru!!
Everyone is Shocked! Goten and Trunks' Super Battle!!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 103 (04 May 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Interesting episode.

They cut out a heck of a lot! Damn. That really flew by...perhaps a little too fast in the first quarter and then it improved significantly after that.

Same can be said of the music. Mostly out of place garbage as per usual but the last two tracks during the end of the Goten vs Trunks fight were really nice. Particularly enjoyed the first new track; it had a distinct asian sound that reminded me a lot of Dragon Ball's earlier tunes. The last new one could have been from Yamamoto so that's certainly a bonus!

Seems like things are looking up marginally. Perhaps they're just bad at handling the lighthearted stuff. We'll see how next week turns out, I guess.

Here's an album of shots from this week's episode - http://minus.com/mJX0ryy7URw0L
Last edited by Ajay on Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 03, 2014 9:24 pm

What episodes of Z did this one consist of?

Also, how are you guys watching Kai?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DefectiveV

Post by DefectiveV » Sat May 03, 2014 10:47 pm

This episode of Kai covered DBZ 210, 211, & 212! This pace is seriously to my liking. If Kai continues at this rate, (its already covered 13 episodes of Z in 5 of Kai), there might only be the 49ish episode count that Toei had mentioned prior.

As for the episode itself, great pacing. The music was alright, didn't seem to infringe horribly this time around.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun May 04, 2014 2:44 am

Good episode, liked the new track, the placement was bearable. BUT TOO MUCH SYNTH, Atleast the orchestra is finally kicking in little by little. However I think Sumitomo would be amazing for a Megaman Game, his music fits the style perfectly, once the soundtrack comes out I´ll put it on the anime scenes of X4 just for the lols XD.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun May 04, 2014 3:06 am

ABED wrote:What episodes of Z did this one consist of?

Also, how are you guys watching Kai?
By watching it live with a streaming application of dubious legality or acquiring the raw footage after broadcast via totally illegal means.

Well, for the most part I'm assuming. There are actually guys on here who live in Japan, too.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 04, 2014 5:24 am

DefectiveV wrote:(its already covered 13 episodes of Z in 5 of Kai), there might only be the 49ish episode count that Toei had mentioned prior.
As of now only 48 episodes have been listed for release so we can hope it stays like that

If we don't see anymore listings within the next month or 2 then it's safe to say it'll be 48 only
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun May 04, 2014 5:42 am

Is this shot of Goten edited?

I'm not sure, but it reminds me of the new effects which were used for the beams in the earlier episodes.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun May 04, 2014 6:19 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Is this shot of Goten edited?
Nope, it's just remastered footage from Z. So far nothing has been edited in these first few episodes.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 04, 2014 9:56 am

Viva Son GOTEN!

Nice episode. Love Nozawa Goten. Makes me happy that she's vocing the son family better than the last 10 years. The music was meh. Didn't notice it really. Just kinda there. I can't believe the pacing as I'm on hulu comparing. Question are there more speed up clips then actual removal of filler?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun May 04, 2014 12:59 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:The music was meh. Didn't notice it really.
For me, as a musician with some formal academic training in film scoring theory and composition for the moving image, this is one of the reasons why the Sumitomo score and its application are total failings on current evidence. It rarely seems to strike a suitable middle ground between obliviously meandering in a state of nonchalant detachment and creating unwanted counterpoint from the source material through being totally garish by way of blatant unsuitability.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 04, 2014 4:22 pm

We need more BGMs. So far the Bulma's Party one from BoG has been repeating over almost (?) every episode.

Also when Vegeta patted Goku he was still gloveless.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:We need more BGMs. So far the Bulma's Party one from BoG has been repeating over almost (?) every episode.
I think they are stuck for now, cause given the number of "relax/fun BGMs" they've played so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they had used pretty much all of those available.

The rest of the soundtrack must be for the rest of the saga: much more serious, tragic, mysterious or fight-driven.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Man, this was a weak episode we had for this week. :|

Cons:
1) Seems like they skipped Trunks kicking Idasa's back -- This felt rushed, on the original Z episode I remember Trunks kicking him to mid-air.

2) Goten when he punched Ikose was just half-shown, this is just another unnecessary change like that time with Goten throwing a ki blast at a rock.

3) Kuririn asks Gohan if they were on a date and then Kuririn stands still with his hand on the air.. it felt awkward to see Kuririn like that.

4) Music was bland, repetitive and I'd just watch the episode(s) without any background music at all, as it's more enjoyable (at least there wouldn't be crappy music to distract).

Pros:
1) BGM that played while Goten was doing his final attack towards Trunks sounded pretty cool and interesting.
2) During the final moments of the episode they played that Mario Sunshine-ish BGM which I don't mind hearing more often 'cause it's that good.

Sure I enjoyed hearing Masako's adorable Little Gok-- Goten and having them fast forward to Goten Vs. Trunks but even with filler it feels to me that Dragon Ball Z did it better and naturally.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Okay, I'm just going to say it. The pacing is killing me lately. It's just too damned fast. At first I was holding my tongue because I was thinking maybe it was just because I know these episodes so well that any deviation is going to feel weird to me. But, no, it's just edited sloppily, in order to fit in as much as possible. There's no room to breathe. No room for jokes to settle in. No moment for a scene to even end. The scene where Mr. Satan lands and falls? The comedic timing was just not there because they rushed through the moment. When Trunks first insults Idasa, it cuts to his reaction, but it's literally on-screen for less than a second. There are a few other reaction shots like that too. It just feels like they're really rushing it.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun May 04, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm in the exact opposite side, i love the pacing. It's great, and i enjoyed the Goten VS Trunks fight with this faster pace.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Okay, I'm just going to say it. The pacing is killing me lately. It's just too damned fast. At first I was holding my tongue because I was thinking maybe it was just because I know these episodes so well that any deviation is going to feel weird to me. But, no, it's just edited sloppily, in order to fit in as much as possible. There's no room to breathe. No room for jokes to settle in. No moment for a scene to even end. The scene where Mr. Satan lands and falls? The comedic timing was just not there because they rushed through the moment. When Trunks first insults Idasa, it cuts to his reaction, but it's literally on-screen for less than a second. There are a few other reaction shots like that too. It just feels like they're really rushing it.
I don't think this is a pacing issue. It's an editing issue, definitely, one I would attribute both to limited animation and talent. If this episode could tell its events without being beholden to Dragon Ball Z materials it wouldn't feel so poorly paced. I think even just removing most of the background music would do wonders for the sense of time, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 pm

I agree with Gaffer Tape, and I've brought this up before.

I've read the manga quite a few times. There's not much to these chapters, especially during this part of the story where Toriyama obviously wants to get the whole thing over with and doesn't want to waste any panels. I have absolutely no doubts that the material covered in this episode could indeed be effectively covered in one episode. Same with the other episodes of Kai. Each of these arcs (Freeza, Cell, Buu) would make a killer, perfectly paced 50-episode story. Maybe less. And I feel like whenever I complain about Kai moving way too fast, people mistakenly think I want these arcs to be stretched out.

The problem is the Z footage. It wasn't storyboarded, animated, or edited to move this fast. Now that it's being used for something it wasn't meant for, the timing on everything is off. If they were remaking this series from the ground up, we might not even have this problem.

And I agree with Jacob about the wall-to-wall music; the whole episode feels like one long scene. The lack of breathing room kills the pacing even more.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Just finished watching this episode and man I'm loving the faster pace of the show, but my only issue is the BGM music. Some of it sounds good while other tracks sound mediocre. I'll give this episode an 8/10.
Flame Dragon wrote:I'm in the exact opposite side, i love the pacing. It's great, and i enjoyed the Goten VS Trunks fight with this faster pace.
Some here. The pacing of this show is way better than the original DBZ.

spikevegeta

Post by spikevegeta » Mon May 05, 2014 3:30 am

Sadly, I agree with the above comments about this show's pacing. Holy crap it's moving so fast. It's like there was literally no goal to try and make an entertaining show, and I almost pray the longer episode count announcements are closer to the truth. I never wanted 69 episodes, but at the current pace the show is running it's literally on pace for about 30 episodes. Not a SHREAD of filler has been left in, which isn't necessarily the problem, but it looks like they told the editors "Here's the manga, here's the anime, make it frame for frame, panel for panel alike.

Sorry guys, some things work for books, some things need to be changed when it receives a film adaptation. Their two different mediums. Same here, and it has caused NONE of it to be enjoyable. Not one moment so far has matched/exceeded the Original Show, and it shocks me the lack of care being put into this show.

Not a single piece of humor landed this episode, Videl/Gohan/Kuririn stuff, Mr. Satan falling/freaking out, Trunks insulting Idasa. All done better by DBZ. Also, Trunks Vs. Goten was amazing moment in the original show, not just because the fight choreography is really well done, but never has pans of the audience given a better pay-off then the end of DBZ 211 with their first round leaving everyone progressively more speechless. The build in that scene is simply amazing, and the makers of this addition of Kai completely miss that.

If I want to watch the source material, I can read the manga. That's not what Kai needed to be. At least not if they wanted to be an enjoyable show.

Also to note, I'm now 100% convinced that 69 episode count thing is bullshit. This show is closer to 36 episodes at this ridiculous pacing