Kai Episode 112 (06 July 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 112 (06 July 2014)

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:26 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 112, aired 06 July 2014

真打ち登場!立ちはだかる魔王!!
Shin'uchi Tōjō! Tachihadakaru Maō!!
The Star Performer Takes the Stage! Take Down the Demon King!!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 112 (06 July 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:40 pm

That was okay. A fairly filler heavy first half as they wrapped up the #18 vs. Satan 'fight'. Nothing particularly offensive though. The most offensive filler was some of the Goten and Trunks stuff as they bump into Videl before heading off to try and find everyone.

Second half was a huge improvement. I'd go as far as to say it was near perfect, to me at least! Gohan vs Dabra was damn good. Great music, great placement, great near enough everything. I think the only thing that was a little off was just after Gohan turns Super Saiyan. In Z, the episode ends as this happens so there's no natural fluidity between that and the next episode. They covered it pretty well though through a lightning fast cut as Gohan punches Dabra. It's not something you'd notice unless you were really looking for it.

Hopefully we're moving away from that abysmal filler section into something actually watchable. I'm really enjoying Sumitomo's score at the moment.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the new ending. Not a fan of the song at all and the strange freeze frames were so awkward.
Last edited by Ajay on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:44 pm

I don't know what Miki Ito has been up to these days besides Dragonball, but I could swear her #18 has somehow IMPROVED. That scene where she blackmails Satan, I swear, her voice was so smooth you could figure skate on it.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:19 pm

CashmanX wrote:I don't know what Miki Ito has been up to these days besides Dragonball, but I could swear her #18 has somehow IMPROVED. That scene where she blackmails Satan, I swear, her voice was so smooth you could figure skate on it.
Oh dude, I totally agree. Her performance in both Kai 1.0 and 2.0 have been leagues ahead of her original stuff. She's fantastic!

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm not watching Kai, but I looked up and managed to find the new ending theme, though. Seems pretty good to me. All new animation, as well. Shame we won't be getting these.

Ending theme does end a bit awkwardly, though.
Last edited by Valerius Dover on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Haven't watched Kai in awhile. Wasn't fond of some filler. Though for Goten I'll make an exception. Not fond of score either. Feels like a fan made placement honestly. Maybe it's the Amv editor in me but some of the cuts were shitty. If not some then all. I enjoy all voices. Nozawa doing so much better than BoG and recent games. Overall an average episode. 7 or 7.5. Ending theme reminds me of something. I'll get back or that.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 am

Very awkward editing on that new ending sequence. The freezeframed shots didn't sync with the song at all. "Pure Heart" is probably my least favorite Kai ending yet, but maybe it'll grow on me. I do like "Dear, Zarathustra" a little more than I did when it debuted, after all.

Everybody looked nice and on-model, though. To me, at least. That's a plus.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:27 am

Well the new ending theme is alright but the animation for it seems meh. I wonder how long they plan on using it since Majin Vegeta is the main focus and he isn't around for long.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:10 am

Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ionutbigiu1
Beyond Newbie

Post by ionutbigiu1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 am

I have to say that dragon ball kai is pretty awsome .The acting is fine . The soundtrack is good too. But this could never replace the original dragon ball z episodes with the Original Audio Broadcast in Stereo . That is simply amazing . Too bad there are so few people who have those and no one is willing to share .

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 am

ionutbigiu1 wrote:Original Audio Broadcast in Stereo
The show has always been monaural. There is no stereo audio for the show. Kei's broadcast audio is still only one channel, it's just not from the shitty masters that we're subjected to.

Deadtuber.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:32 am

Regarding the new ending:

These have to be some of the most pedestrian closing titles visually that I've seen on an Anime in recent years. Awful, just awful. The song feels so misplaced against Dragonball images.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:43 am

One of the worst endings in the series by far. Not the worst because I dont really like Detekoi Tobikiri Zenkai Power!
I dont have anything agaisnt the music even though it was more fit for Pokemon...but that Goku vs Majin Vegeta editing was pure laziness.

Why they are treating DBZ like shit and Sailor Moon like gold in the first place?! Dont get it.
At least, I love the character design.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:51 am

Ok, on second thought, I think it's possible this animation wasn't intended here, either. That probably means The Final Chapers goes through some animation changes or something. As I said, that ending is awkward and sudden to say the least.

"This sucks. Make more."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:55 am

Gonna be the odd man out here and say I like this ending more than ‘Haikei, Zarathustra’, because at least this isn't all ‘dark and brooding’ like that one was. Though, why didn't Gokū have a halo in the whole thing?
Last edited by Puto on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am

Puto wrote:Gonna be the odd man out here and say I like this ending more than ‘Haikei, Zarathustra’, because at least this isn't all ‘dark and brooding’ like that one was.
Oh no, I definitely like it, though. I think it fits Dragon Ball fairly well. I just noted how odd the animation was.

"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:38 pm

This episode was nice. It would have been better if, just like the manga, things got back right in the middle of Gohan's fight without showing the beginning.
But since it's pretty well done, with Gohan looking stylish more than once, it's fine.

My predictions were wrong about what the episode would cover, since I thought it would end with the "M" appearing just to reveal the new ending, with the slow pace of the two previous episodes being just for that purpose.
However, my predictions about the new ending animation being about Majin Vegeta were still right, it was quite predictable.
The new ending is good and fits the franchise, no surprise there.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I don't think the song is bad at all. It just doesn't match the animation AT ALL. It's almost like the animators were told to produce a cut of animation without knowing what the music would be. Or the folks in charge of music had the song produced at the last possible minute.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:25 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I don't think the song is bad at all. It just doesn't match the animation AT ALL. It's almost like the animators were told to produce a cut of animation without knowing what the music would be. Or the folks in charge of music had the song produced at the last possible minute.
That's what makes me believe The Final Chapters may go through some animation changes. Haikei Zarathustra had about half its animation based on Never Give Up, while the other half was just panning still shots.

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Why they are treating DBZ like shit and Sailor Moon like gold in the first place?! Dont get it.
At least, I love the character design.
Oh please not this again, we should be thankful that they're sticking to the original animation than using some overly bigged-eyed characters, huge legs and just overall unnatural to what Dragon Ball is about.

I've seen the OVA 2008/2010, Special 2011 and bits & pieces of Battle of Gods and to be honest I'd rather if they had went back to the old days instead because Gohan as well as other characters has some really weird stuff happening to them.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray