Kai Episode 113 (13 July 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 113 (13 July 2014)

Post by Hujio » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 113, aired 13 July 2014

よみがえる邪心 破壊王子ベジータ!
Yomigaeru Jashin Hakai Ōji Bejīta!
A Wicked Heart is Revived — Vegeta, the Prince of Destruction!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 113 (13 July 2014)

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm

I really liked the music placement, especially the one theme that played when Vegeta turned Majin. I also really liked the one that started playing when the Tournament Announcer approached Vegeta. The music has gotten a lot better along with it's placement. Having not kept up with this for a while now; it's refreshing to see this episode have a lot more breathing room compared to the earlier episodes. I'll definitely be watching it from here on out since shit gets real haha :lol:. Also the new ending theme was awesome.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:51 am

The music when they got into the tenkaichi budokai arena again always mindblows me. I really NEED, the soundtrack CD NOW
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:09 am

I'm in the middle of watching the episode, I'm at the part where Babidi begins taking Vegeta over, and I noticed that the flashing and light effects from Babidi's crystal ball have been redone. Was it just these effects that were redone or is that whole scene redrawn? If it is a redrawn scene then it definitely blends a lot better than the previous ones.

EDIT: Just finished the episode. I thought it was really interesting how they cut around Vegeta blowing up the arena in order to save it for the next episode. They did a pretty good job editing it together in a way that felt natural.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 am

Oh man, what a fantastic episode! Seriously, these are the types of episodes that, even after a few duff ones, keep me coming back week after week. That was great. I felt genuinely excited watching this week.

Music placement was spot on. The excessively apocalyptic track felt totally in place during Vegeta's possession and damn, give Horikawa an award or something! He totally surpassed that original performance of his. When the camera cuts to Vegeta first looking up after being posessed, oh my god, that little cackle was absolutely fantastic.

I think the only time the editing felt off this week was during the transition from the spaceship to the tournament grounds. It seemed like a really harsh cut and, accompanied by such a dramatic change in music, it was really weird to watch. With that said, they did edit together the end of the episode nicely to contain all the major moments for next week. As Freeza Soldier #156 said, that was done really naturally and felt appropriately drawn out.

I think if there's one thing that's been bugging me, it's been Nozawa. I still don't think she's separating her Gohan and Goku particularly well during fights and certain smaller scenes. I've not seen anyone else complain so maybe it's just me? She also seemed to be losing a lot of steam towards the end of the Gohan vs. Dabra fight. Either that was done at the end of a really long recording day or it was intentional but it certainly didn't feel like she was giving it her all.

Regarding the reanimation, I actually wish that Kai 1.0 had gone in that direction rather than doing the full on redrawn scenes. You could tell it was new but it wasn't distracting to the scale that those fully redrawn scenes were originally.

Lastly, the ending song has grown on me. I still think Good Morning America's efforts were far better but this certainly isn't as bad as I first thought. The animation the track is put to is still horrendous to watch. I can't get over those freeze frames! Whoever thought was a good idea needs to rethink their decision making skills.

Can't wait for next week. The upcoming episode contains some of my favourite animation in the entire series.

Seriously, listen to that growl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py40wKIe5h8
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:43 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote: Regarding the reanimation, I actually wish that Kai 1.0 had gone in that direction rather than doing the full on redrawn scenes. You could tell it was new but it wasn't distracting to the scale that those fully redrawn scenes were originally.
Has there been other episodes with "reanimation"?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm

There was an instance of fixing a colour issue with Kibito's clothing but outside of that, I don't think so. Only a scene or two where flashing was reduced by removing frames, I believe. You'd have to ask Kei17 or check the episode guides.

Deadtuber.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:40 pm

That was an amazing episode, I agree with Ajay about the cut from the spaceship to the stadium being harsh, but we can let them off as their editing was excellent. Nice to see the 1st reanimated effects, they looked great!.

I think our version will still be better - at least editing wise anyway, the harsh cuts won't be there as I believe that's the reason for the higher count - to allow for a more natural and smooth transition between scenes.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 am

Horikawa's performance continues to shine. That growling sounded like Brice Armstrong's Ginyu to me though, but it was still awesome. :lol:

I didn't notice the redrawn shots. Can someone post a screenshot?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:When the camera cuts to Vegeta first looking up after being posessed, oh my god, that little cackle was absolutely fantastic.
Totally lost my shit at that part! And to think, last week I was saying Horikawa was feeling a bit tired...well, forget that, 'cause he's officially knocking it out of the fucking park now! I knew he could step it up once Vegeta started doing something interesting :D Gonna be super exciting to see how he plays all the amazing Vegeta scenes to come.

And next week is that fantastic evil grin...god, that's one of my favorite shots from the entire series. I am overflowing with rabid fangirl excitemeeeeent!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 am

Some of my favorite parts of the series coming up... wonder just how much is going to be kept of Majin Vegeta vs Goku though..

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:33 pm

The epic clash starts next week!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I didn't notice the redrawn shots. Can someone post a screenshot?

Source.

They turned it into a very modern looking pulsating wave.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't have access to actual footage because I'm at my workplace now, but I doubt that that's a "redrawn" shot. My guess is that they took away flashing frames and added the digital effect. They did a similar thing with the shot in which Gohan first makes a lunge for Dabra on the previous episode. The flashing effect that originally existed in Z was digitally removed and filled with subdued white light.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Yeah, it's not a redrawn shot. I referred to it as 'reanimation' in my initial post for lack of a better term.

It's exactly as you said; the original footage overlaid with new digital effects.

I didn't notice that they'd done the same in the previous episode. It's funny, I actually wrote that that was one of the more distracting moments for me and I couldn't quite work out why. Now I know!

Deadtuber.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Just finished watching; man Ajay you weren't kidding, Horikawa's having fun with this one. Oh boy, about to be real happy that Toei dragged out the oncoming rematch. The cuts at the end of the Dabra fight weren't that bad and nothing but good to say on the music- and the first time the new Babidi VA's really reminded me why I'm glad Yanami is not at his mike anymore (I'll just sit in the corner, here...). Definitely a model episode!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:28 am

Fantastic episode really enjoyed the voice acting (Horikawa did an incredible job and Masako as always), music placement and the cropping was what seems to be quite selective, but they really need to update the Eyecatches as we're moving onto the Majin Boo arc now.

Just when I was getting excited to watch Majin Vegeta X Goku the episode ends, lol, can't wait for Sunday's episode! :D
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 pm

They probably just had to change that to remove any strobe lights. There are some modern considerations that they have to make. But in general Kai1.0 did love to remove old lighting and attacks and change them so I guess its not that surprising.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Wow what a great episode and I'm really starting to like Vagetas Japanese voice actor because he sounds so sinister. BTW does anybody have a clip of when Vageta turned into Majin Vageta from the original Japanese version of DBZ?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Couldn't find a clip but hopefully this subtitle-less, absolutely awfully cropped and filtered YouTube upload isn't an issue to link.

If so, do remove. It is a full episode afterall. I figured the unwatchability of it may earn it a free pass.

Deadtuber.