Kai Episode 115 (03 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 115 (03 August 2014)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 115, aired 03 August 2014

復活へのカウントダウン バビディの野望を打ち砕け!
Fukkatsu e no Kauntodaun Babidi no Yabō o Uchikudake!
The Countdown to Revival — Crush Babidi’s Ambitions!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 115 (03 August 2014)

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:04 pm

I was hoping to hear some new tracks for this fight but as it seems they don't have any other battle themes and that makes the music placement weird or out of place in some points. Really, I don't know how they are gonna treat the next fights with these soundtracks.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Two lengthy flashbacks, disco music during key moments of the Goku vs Vegeta fight, and horribly uplifting music placed during the rumbling of Boo's shell; not to mention the terrible editing in that scene also.

I could not get into this week's episode whatsoever. It's one of the most beloved moments of the arc and it was entirely ruined by utterly amateur work. Who on earth thinks it's acceptable to play that disco music track and then seconds later bring in the 'apocalypse inbound' track?! Who sits there and goes, yeah, you know what?! That works! Entirely talentless decision making. It is infuriating to endure.

I'm starting to get sick of this show. There's only so much up and down I can take before I start to wonder what the fucking point is. I've tried to be optimistic with show but goddamn, this is impossible. I was happy to take Kai if the occasional episode or clip was going to be shoddy but this is ridiculous now.

If I didn't find the audio quality of the Dragon Boxes so unbearable nowadays, I wouldn't even give this another look. One week I'm reminded why I give this show a chance every week and the next I'm questioning why on earth I even bother anymore.

This isn't even close to being the worst its been but it's such a defining and memorable episode that you have to be an absolute moron to fuck it up. So yeah, I'm pretty fucking mad right now. Probably irrationally so because it's a damn TV show but whatever.
Let the weaboo rage flow through you.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Was the footage still extra green like last week's episode?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Two lengthy flashbacks, disco music during key moments of the Goku vs Vegeta fight, and horribly uplifting music placed during the rumbling of Boo's shell; not to mention the terrible editing in that scene also.

I could not get into this week's episode whatsoever. It's one of the most beloved moments of the arc and it was entirely ruined by utterly amateur work. Who on earth thinks it's acceptable to play that disco music track and then seconds later bring in the 'apocalypse inbound' track?! Who sits there and goes, yeah, you know what?! That works! Entirely talentless decision making. It is infuriating to endure.

I'm starting to get sick of this show. There's only so much up and down I can take before I start to wonder what the fucking point is. I've tried to be optimistic with show but goddamn, this is impossible. I was happy to take Kai if the occasional episode or clip was going to be shoddy but this is ridiculous now.

If I didn't find the audio quality of the Dragon Boxes so unbearable nowadays, I wouldn't even give this another look. One week I'm reminded why I give this show a chance every week and the next I'm questioning why on earth I even bother anymore.

This isn't even close to being the worst its been but it's such a defining and memorable episode that you have to be an absolute moron to fuck it up. So yeah, I'm pretty fucking mad right now. Probably irrationally so because it's a damn TV show but whatever.
Let the weaboo rage flow through you.
Wow was this weeks episode that bad Ajay?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Was the footage still extra green like last week's episode?
Oh yeah, everyone's still cosplaying Broli.
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Wow was this weeks episode that bad Ajay?
Nah, it wasn't awful - at least not on the same scale that we've seen previously. It's just that, much like Goku's return at the tournament, they've taken a memorable moment that's tone is so clear and utterly fucked it as hard as they possibly could.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Was the disco theme when Vegeta revealed he intentionally let Babidi possess him or what?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:13 pm

The voice acting was much better in Z, count me as disappointed.
Metalwario64 wrote:Was the disco theme when Vegeta revealed he intentionally let Babidi possess him or what?
Nope, Goku punching him with the rocks...

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:09 am

you guys gotta remember this isn't the official placement I'm sure the international version will be tons better
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:19 am

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I haven't felt strongly one way or the other about the music placement so far. I think I'm just so used to hearing so many replacement scores for Dragon Ball products over the years (the English dubs, international video game releases, Kai), that my brain doesn't even fire off any signals unless the music placement or music quality is insultingly bad.

It's not like they're playing Baby Gohan's theme over Videl's torture scene or something.

I do miss Kikuchi and Yamamoto though; this score hasn't left much of an impression on me, though I won't call it bad or anything.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:57 am

So I put together a very sarcastic video showcasing the points I made in my initial post about the music placement being totally haphazard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgEKGqwRV0
Naruto6583 wrote:you guys gotta remember this isn't the official placement I'm sure the international version will be tons better
It's not that much better going by the Korean broadcast. Also, it's still very much an 'official' placement given this is a deliberate and authorised cut by TOEI; broadcast on FujiTV during one of its most popular timeslots. It's presented as a professional product and should be judged as such. It's irrelevant if there's other versions out there. This is still so embarrassingly amateur and a total disgrace to be coming out of a such a company.

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:49 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:So I put together a very sarcastic video showcasing the points I made in my initial post about the music placement being totally haphazard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgEKGqwRV0
:lol: Great video there! To be honest, I don't mind the music placement, though I do find it odd to go from the disco track to an epic track within seconds. The latter I hope only applies to the Japanese edit. The heroic theme at the end, though? I can sort of see what they were going for, but I haven't actually seen any version of the Buu arc yet, so I don't have any prior experience. How are the Kikuchi and Faulconer placements in comparison?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am

That disco music has really become Goku's theme. Don't get surprised if we hear it when Goku goes Super Saiyan 3!
Here is a video showing that they could have done a better job with that ''disco scene'':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk5LmerRXA

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:18 am

Valerius Dover wrote:How are the Kikuchi and Faulconer placements in comparison?
Haven't got a clue about Faulconer since I've never seen the show with his score in its entirety.

Here's where Kikuchi's music was placed though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cB5tS5ATE

And here's the Westwood dub's version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ppZBPd0tNE

Pretty funny seeing how they shifted some lines to keep some extended 'AHHHHHHHHHHH's in there.
Last edited by Ajay on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadtuber.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:21 am

TheRed259 wrote:That disco music has really become Goku's theme. Don't get surprised if we hear it when Goku goes Super Saiyan 3!
Here is a video showing that they could have done a better job with that ''disco scene'':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk5LmerRXA
That's a much better placement. Also, YAY Vegeta's voice DOES get deeper than in the Cell arc. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am

At least, they're still taking the time to remaster the flashback with the current remastering method rather than just recycle the footage from the 2009 version.
This green tint ruins everything, unfortunately.

Q-Tec remastering VS Toei Digital Lab remastering (Source : untouched HDTV versions)
As we can see here, the re-animated scenes from the 2009 footage stills untouched,except a slightly higher framing :
And. .. for the episode itself, it wasn't that bad (except for the "eurodance" sequence...I laughed so much with your video Ajay :lol: ), but the previous episode looked so professional in comparison.
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:14 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:So I put together a very sarcastic video showcasing the points I made in my initial post about the music placement being totally haphazard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgEKGqwRV0
Naruto6583 wrote:you guys gotta remember this isn't the official placement I'm sure the international version will be tons better
It's not that much better going by the Korean broadcast. Also, it's still very much an 'official' placement given this is a deliberate and authorised cut by TOEI; broadcast on FujiTV during one of its most popular timeslots. It's presented as a professional product and should be judged as such. It's irrelevant if there's other versions out there. This is still so embarrassingly amateur and a total disgrace to be coming out of a such a company.
Well heres to hoping that the buu arc is 5.1 so we rescore it however we please
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Oh man the theme at the end just killed it :lol: The score itself isn't bad at all. Also the video quality looks decent.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:36 pm

I actually didn't mind the ‘disco’ song being played when Gokū broke out of the rock, but the heroic song for Boo's revival is just ridiculous.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm

The music placement was unbearable that it was almost an insult to the original Z staff.

Speaking of the digitally traced shots, they reduced the flashing effect in this shot: