Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by Hujio » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 117, aired 17 August 2014

絶望へ一直線!?魔人ブウの恐怖
Zetsubō e Itchokusen!? Majin Bū no Kyōfu
A Straight Line to Despair?! The Terror of Majin Buu

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 117 (17 August 2014)

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Overall, I quite enjoyed this episode, apart from the weird music when we first see Buu walking around. I think I have an idea on what Sumitomo was attempting to achieve with it, but I can't quite explain it.
It was kind of "is Buu Evil or child-like?" that's the best I can come up with. At least (for the most part) there were no weird edits this week, so it could possibly be another "original" episode.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 pm

That was just...wow. I give up all hope of this ever smoothing out into something bearable.

Horrendous music during a section with Boo plodding around killed all my hope. It sounded like something Bruce Faulconer himself would have composed. Absolutely god awful beyond words. I get that they were going for this fun-but-evil type thing but it just wasn't good music.

Kōzō Shioya has somehow managed to forget how to play Boo despite being great in Battle of Gods. All the horseness of the original voice is gone and it's now far deeper with some lines performed in a tone that has absolutely no semblance of the character he's meant to be playing. The 'rero-rero' lines literally sound exactly like Kakyoin from Stardust Crusaders rather than Boo. It's insane! I don't understand it at all.

Music seemed to skip around all over the place. One second it's calm, the next it's the end of the world track, then we're back to Majin Faulconer's Techno Adventures and then back to doom and gloom again. Impossible to keep up with or make any sense of.

No awkward editing, I guess. You know, just to tack on a positive.

If you're a fan of Bruce Faulconer's work and you miss that tone to Dragon Ball then you're in for a treat. I feel like this score just says it all about who pressured Kai to continue. Parts of it are truly great and representative of Sumitomo...the rest of it feels like he's fighting with his own style while trying to emulate the US Broadcast score. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Here's a video showcasing my points - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1P_X3mEJsg

Oh yeah, there was finally a new eyecatch:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Doesn't sound anything like what Bruce Faulconer would come up with. His track when Buu appears is more curiosity/uncertainty. This.. this is just wrong.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 am

Holy fuck, that's out n' out obnoxious. It's absolutely grating after awhile. That's so bad it's not even funny.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:35 am

I will say this: even as someone who's found the score and music placement inoffensive so far... That scene with Buu was just baaaaad.

Even the Faulconer score handled that scene better. Jeez...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:16 am

Quite frankly I don´t find the placement of this episode bad at all. except at the end, they really like to put triumphant music when there´s real business around. Not a lot of silence, but I guess it will be improved in the international version.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:31 am

The cue used in the plodding scene sounded like a ringtone made in FL Studio. Not saying the track is in and of itself bad, but the placement? Yesh.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:28 am

There was a really awkward cut when Vegeta knocked out Goku. It cut to Goku's face, in normal form, slamming into the dirt. It cut away when he was falling before it showed his hair start to change.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:14 am

Man, is it me or is the green tint somehow getting worse? Gohan's glove was no longer white but piss yellow. Urgh.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:33 am

I literally wanted to get up and start dancing at Buu revive, it really sound like Faulconer, but, that green tint, my god, it's so ugly, if Funimation won't fix it... :cry:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:18 am

Gonstead wrote:Man, is it me or is the green tint somehow getting worse? Gohan's glove was no longer white but piss yellow. Urgh.
It always had a yellowish tint when he was Super Saiyan, which is odd since Vegeta's white gloves have blue shadows.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:59 am

LordCrumb wrote:Doesn't sound anything like what Bruce Faulconer would come up with. His track when Buu appears is more curiosity/uncertainty. This.. this is just wrong.
It's not dissimilar from many of the Faulconer tracks. There's a number of comparable examples out there.

You're right though, Faulconer definitely handled that scene far better.

It's just all bad music regardless of context. Horrible stuff. Sumitomo sounds like he's trying to be Bjork...except with no talent.
Last edited by Ajay on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Buu's techno theme wouldn't sound so bad if it didn't loop constantly. :?

Overall, did the episode feel like an International episode, or one of the shortened Japanese ones?
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Pretty good episode. I agree with Ajay about that Buu theme sounding very Faulconer-esque. There was even a split second where it almost sounded spot on to Faulconer's Fat Buu theme; I could of looked away and thought I was watching the old dub. That said, I can't say that I hate it, though. My main complaint was that it was really loud and almost over took the little bits of dialogue that were there.

Oh and HOLYFREAKIN'CRAP a new eye catch. Finally! Ahem, sorry. :oops:

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm

They fixed Vegeta's gloves in that one scene where he has his fist up yelling at Goku. It used to have nails showing, but it looks like Toei redrew it without redrawing the entire frame in some Flash-like program. Looked seamless. Other than that, I thought the pacing of the episode was fine. That new Buu theme definitely reminds of Faulconer Production's work... but not as good imo. And yes... it looks like it only gets greener from here.

By the way, where are you guys watching this? Online? I can only see really low quality streams but people seem to have high quality versions of it.
Last edited by DarkPrince_92 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm really kind of done with the Faulconer comparisons :/ I mean Faulconer was bad, but it wasn't THIS bad. There was proper music direction and while the music itself was something that, yeah you wouldn't be surprised if people disliked it, it was almost always set to the tone of the scene. There was at least a noticeable effort involved in placing it and making it fit the scene. That one grating track, come off it, that is just super bad, but there's not a lot of Faulconer's stuff that comes close to its badness. That was just my two cents on that topic, just kind of getting sick of the Faulconer-hate.

And on a little more positive note, great GOD is the urge to want to cut this series getting big. There are so many missed opportunities. I didn't notice this a lot in the previous seasons of Kai, but it really feels like they're sticking to the manga, but also to a lot the order it was placed in in the anime. A lot could've been done for the pacing and for the pacing of the story itself (I still believe that having a criss-cross edit between the Budokai stuff and the stuff in Babidi's spaceship would've benefited so much). They can take risks and do things the original anime didn't do. The whole thing with Buu smashing up Gohan and then Kaioshin I think that could've been VERY awesome had it been cut faster. Especially from the point of Majin Buu taking off to the point we see Gohan down in the dirt. It just sort of loses power. Maybe cut away to another scene before Kaioshin got his face smashed. Or... having Buu hit Dabura and then IMMEDIATELY cutting to Goku's and Goten's and Trunk's reaction. Maybe have a little criss-cross editing while they talk to eachother. This episode loses so much tension because it sticks too much to the original anime source. It could be so much better. Even with the music provided (though I'd never use that awful grating piece of music, that was a low point :o).

Son Kai

Post by Son Kai » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 pm

The soundtrack of the Boo Saga is terrible!
I hate these OST's,but in the fight of Goku and Vegeta, when Goku begins to hit him with stones, SoundTrack was perfect!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Son Kai wrote:The soundtrack of the Boo Saga is terrible!
I hate these OST's,but in the fight of Goku and Vegeta, when Goku begins to hit him with stones, SoundTrack was perfect!

Wat. XD

I find it funny that everyone forgets about the good tracks when a bad track appears. it's like they really ignore that some of the soundtrack is actually great XD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny that everyone forgets about the good tracks when a bad track appears. it's like they really ignore that some of the soundtrack is actually great XD
:lol: Can't agree more.People are sometimes so hard and demanding.
IMO, about 70~80% of the tracks are great, but the remaining 20~30% ​​are particularly bad (gosh, the first 4~5 episodes :thumbdown: )...I sometimes wonder "Is it really from Sumitomo ? WTF :crazy: ".If you listen to his previous works (Shikabane Hime Aka, Shikabane Hime Kuro, Asura, Unfair : The Movie, Thermae Romae, Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna, just to name a few), it usually goes from the sublime to the ridiculously bad...this is perhaps why he's still one of my favorite composers, you never know what to expect with him.