Kai Episode 118 (24 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 118 (24 August 2014)

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:21 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Oh wow, that is very similar.

Can we have another composer scandal so at the very least we get lazy Kikuchi again?
don't you dare....anything but that.... I beg you.... besides, it won't do a thing, the percussion is most likely from a sample library since it sounds exactly the same as this track. Sumitomo uses those and that's no secret. They are basically free to use once you buy them, like the nine tailed fox theme from original naruto. Heck the percussion from that track was also on bear grylls
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:23 pm

I also agree with Ajay.
I stopped watching Kai after Goku VS Yakon, and i completely lost the will to even follow the threads on here.

First i was angry. Now i'm not angry. Just disappointed. The only emotion i can feel is Apathy.
Like i see that a new Kai episode is out and i'm like "whatever".

I was a big, big fan of Kai. I loved the shit out of it.
I loved the gorgeous remastering quality and color correction by Q-TEC, i loved the faster pacing actually making some parts bearable (Goku VS Freeza), i loved the Yamamoto score, i even liked the Kikuchi repetitive replacement score, if not for the only reason most tracks they chose were my favourites.

Sure there were some defects.
Like some redrawn scenes looking like shit, or the music scandal...

But i always overlooked past these faults, and enjoyed the show for what it was.

I knew it was a lazy effort from Toei, but i still defended it.

It was my favourite way of watching the show, MY DEFINITIVE VERSION.

I also was sad to hear the show ended after Cell, so i really wanted a continuation.
When Buu Kai was announced, i was dancing in joy, literally.

Finally i could watch the entirety of Z in gorgeous grainless HD without useless filler and a good English Dub.

Dragon Ball Kai was discovered by me when i found out about these forums, i didn't even know of its existance.
It was Kai that reignited my interest in the franchise.

And ironically enough, Buu Kai has killed it.

I hate everything about it.

The wacky soundtrack... i cannot even describe it. Some tracks are awesome, and some tracks are horrible (DiscoBall being the worst offender). It ranges from amazing to amazingly bad. No in between.
The shitty remastering, a downgrade from Q-TEC in every way.
The horrible colors that make my eyes burn when i try to watch it. The entirety of the show looks like it has been puked over, so
much green.
A buttload of filler kept in the name of easy money, completely destroying the purpose the show got my interest to begin with (Little to no Filler)
Kun Zen Zetsu Go being awesome, while Fight it Out! feeling bland and generic.

Kai is dead for me. People said the original Kai was bad...
Well it sure as shit wasn't as bad as this!

Toei really dropped the ball on this one, big time. They are cheap incompetent assholes and did a crappy job just for a quick buck.
It has gotten to the point that i would have rather wanted Kai to end at Cell forever.

I have no longer any excitement about anything Toei puts out. I just know it will be mediocre or bad from the start. I seriously consider them my most hated animation company now.

I also have no longer any will to post on the Kai forums, as many others. I expect the next weekly threads to become more and more empty as time passes.

R.I.P Kai, and let's hope no one buys the shitty Buu Saga green puked Blu-Rays and actually makes Toei pay for their cheapness.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I don't think it fits the series and it's a very clear attempt to pander to the US dub fanbase...
You know, it's interesting to hear that I'm not alone in that theory. A while back, I posted...somewhere...that perhaps the similarities between Faulconer and Sumitomo's musical styles were not coincidental, for precisely the reason you mentioned. It'll be interesting to hear if this new style of music resonates more with some of the more hardcore dub fans who claim to "hate" Kai.

But I do agree, even with my general preference of the English voice cast, I'm just not a fan of electronic/techno music, and it doesn't feel very Dragon Ball-esque to me at all. I fell in love with the Japanese score when I first heard Kikuchi on the orange bricks and never went back, and I even loved Yamamoto (/Howard Shore)'s music, repetitive though it could be. It's kind of a bummer to see that the music is going in more electronic direction. Hopefully it's not a precedent-setter for future Dragon Ball productions.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Didn't Sumitomo do the BoG soundtrack? What's up with the sudden change in his style? This is nothing like BoG.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:Didn't Sumitomo do the BoG soundtrack? What's up with the sudden change in his style? This is nothing like BoG.
I noticed that too, and to me, it's further evidence that Sumitomo received some kind of suggestion (or, worse yet, a mandate) from Toei to use a more electronic/techno/synthesizer score in an effort to appeal to US dub fans. After all, originally this wasn't even going to air in Japan, and was probably made with international audiences in mind as a result. Not to mention that the English dub would be seen across three continents, so appealing to that audience likely took priority over other, less-populated geographic regions.

However, that does beg the question: if this is the case, why is the inevitable English dub of the Buu arc of Kai taking longer to appear than it took for the Korean dub to appear? And apparently the French dub will be coming out before the English dub as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:33 am

Doctor. wrote:Didn't Sumitomo do the BoG soundtrack? What's up with the sudden change in his style? This is nothing like BoG.
You can recognize the same style: epic orchestral or synth-electronic.

In case you don't remember, for electronic synth tracks, just listen to Hero (Goku's Curiosity), The Pilaf Gang Arrives, Birus' Wrath, Vegeta Enraged or Goku Appears.
You could easily hear those tracks in the Kai Boo arc and it would fit with the other tracks.

That's just Sumitomo's style for Dragon Ball: a mix of epic orchestra on one side and dynamic/magical synth tracks reminiscent of the legendary 80s-90s on the other side (much like Final Fantasy XIII-2's awesome soundtrack, or Far Cry: Blood Dragon's heavy-synth hommage to the same period), along with taking the author's influences in account for a few tracks (Egyptian for Beerus, oriental for the Majin Boo arc).

Finally, the Boo arc was done by him before Battle of Gods, so Battle of Gods would be more of an indication of the path the composer chooses to follow as time goes by.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 am

Cold Skin wrote: Finally, the Boo arc was done by him before Battle of Gods, so Battle of Gods would be more of an indication of the path the composer chooses to follow as time goes by.
Oh, really? That's an interesting bit of info. Could you perhaps provide a source for this? I'm curious to learn more here, since it could mean there are no Battle of Gods tracks in the uncut version.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:00 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
Cold Skin wrote: Finally, the Boo arc was done by him before Battle of Gods, so Battle of Gods would be more of an indication of the path the composer chooses to follow as time goes by.
Oh, really? That's an interesting bit of info. Could you perhaps provide a source for this? I'm curious to learn more here, since it could mean there are no Battle of Gods tracks in the uncut version.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... -kai-post/

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I also agree with Ajay.
I stopped watching Kai after Goku VS Yakon, and i completely lost the will to even follow the threads on here.

First i was angry. Now i'm not angry. Just disappointed. The only emotion i can feel is Apathy.
Like i see that a new Kai episode is out and i'm like "whatever".

I was a big, big fan of Kai. I loved the shit out of it.
I loved the gorgeous remastering quality and color correction by Q-TEC, i loved the faster pacing actually making some parts bearable (Goku VS Freeza), i loved the Yamamoto score, i even liked the Kikuchi repetitive replacement score, if not for the only reason most tracks they chose were my favourites.

Sure there were some defects.
Like some redrawn scenes looking like shit, or the music scandal...

But i always overlooked past these faults, and enjoyed the show for what it was.

I knew it was a lazy effort from Toei, but i still defended it.

It was my favourite way of watching the show, MY DEFINITIVE VERSION.

I also was sad to hear the show ended after Cell, so i really wanted a continuation.
When Buu Kai was announced, i was dancing in joy, literally.

Finally i could watch the entirety of Z in gorgeous grainless HD without useless filler and a good English Dub.

Dragon Ball Kai was discovered by me when i found out about these forums, i didn't even know of its existance.
It was Kai that reignited my interest in the franchise.

And ironically enough, Buu Kai has killed it.

I hate everything about it.

The wacky soundtrack... i cannot even describe it. Some tracks are awesome, and some tracks are horrible (DiscoBall being the worst offender). It ranges from amazing to amazingly bad. No in between.
The shitty remastering, a downgrade from Q-TEC in every way.
The horrible colors that make my eyes burn when i try to watch it. The entirety of the show looks like it has been puked over, so
much green.
A buttload of filler kept in the name of easy money, completely destroying the purpose the show got my interest to begin with (Little to no Filler)
Kun Zen Zetsu Go being awesome, while Fight it Out! feeling bland and generic.

Kai is dead for me. People said the original Kai was bad...
Well it sure as shit wasn't as bad as this!

Toei really dropped the ball on this one, big time. They are cheap incompetent assholes and did a crappy job just for a quick buck.
It has gotten to the point that i would have rather wanted Kai to end at Cell forever.

I have no longer any excitement about anything Toei puts out. I just know it will be mediocre or bad from the start. I seriously consider them my most hated animation company now.

I also have no longer any will to post on the Kai forums, as many others. I expect the next weekly threads to become more and more empty as time passes.

R.I.P Kai, and let's hope no one buys the shitty Buu Saga green puked Blu-Rays and actually makes Toei pay for their cheapness.
Yup man this is how I feel as well. Toei ruined Kai for me by being fucking cheap smh and its a damn shame.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:This score doesn't sound anything like Faulconer's score. Not a bit. Basically the only similarity is a superficial one, in that they both use synths.
Eh? Yes it does.

The overall score may be far from Faulconer but there's many tracks are easily comparable. That recent Majin Boo one isn't much different from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIYMn2B5bM8
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:21 pm

So, considering I'm watching Japanese Z along side this, and I stand by what I say, Babidi sounds way better in Kai. No one can convince me otherwise. :wink:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:40 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:So, considering I'm watching Japanese Z along side this, and I stand by what I say, Babidi sounds way better in Kai. No one can convince me otherwise. :wink:
I agree. This was one casting change that I was really happy about. I honestly did not care for Joji Yanami's take on the character. I think Bin Shimada brings a lot more energy to the role. He also sounds closer to Duncan Brannan, which is a huge plus for me. His Babidi was one of the very few instances where I thought the dub voice out-shined the Japanese.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:05 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I noticed that too, and to me, it's further evidence that Sumitomo received some kind of suggestion (or, worse yet, a mandate) from Toei to use a more electronic/techno/synthesizer score in an effort to appeal to US dub fans. After all, originally this wasn't even going to air in Japan, and was probably made with international audiences in mind as a result. Not to mention that the English dub would be seen across three continents, so appealing to that audience likely took priority over other, less-populated geographic
Makes sense, BOG sounds a bit more DB-ish.
Why didn't Toei got the Ultimate Blast guy to score Buu-Kai?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 pm

mcdonough88 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I noticed that too, and to me, it's further evidence that Sumitomo received some kind of suggestion (or, worse yet, a mandate) from Toei to use a more electronic/techno/synthesizer score in an effort to appeal to US dub fans. After all, originally this wasn't even going to air in Japan, and was probably made with international audiences in mind as a result. Not to mention that the English dub would be seen across three continents, so appealing to that audience likely took priority over other, less-populated geographic
Makes sense, BOG sounds a bit more DB-ish.
Why didn't Toei got the Ultimate Blast guy to score Buu-Kai?
As much I love sumitomo, getting Takaki to score Kai and BoG would have been for the better.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am

Black_Liger wrote:
As much I love sumitomo, getting Takaki to score Kai and BoG would have been for the better.
Yeah, because Takaki Hiroshi scored UB in 2011 and I thought he was the next composer, then Sumitomo comes along and it was like... wha?

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 am

I forget: were most of the other episodes since Dabra's debut this bright? Also, I hope FUNimation's Z season eight Blu-ray will do a better job with the cropping of the cuts that focus on Bobbidi than Toei did here; lots of missing chin is going on. If we were to miraculously get a 4:3 Buu Kai release, of course, this would be a non-issue.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 pm

So I felt like depressing myself and throwing some Yamamoto into the Boo arc of Kai. Apparently I'm a masochist.

Isolating dialogue from a music heavy stereo track ain't easy and I'm too lazy to make any real effort at 4am so you will hear some bass lines from Sumitomo in there quietly underneath the track. Unless your headphones or speakers have a lot of low end, it shouldn't matter much.

Either way, it was only for a bit of fun.

Enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JK1wxTPdYM

Also, can we please uncover a scandal about Sumitomo so we can have someone else please. :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:26 pm

I just noticed. Wasn't there some flashing removal during that shot of the camera zooming in on Goku when Vegeta blasts him at the end there? It looks pretty choppy.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:So I felt like depressing myself and throwing some Yamamoto into the Boo arc of Kai. Apparently I'm a masochist.

Isolating dialogue from a music heavy stereo track ain't easy and I'm too lazy to make any real effort at 4am so you will hear some bass lines from Sumitomo in there quietly underneath the track. Unless your headphones or speakers have a lot of low end, it shouldn't matter much.

Either way, it was only for a bit of fun.

Enjoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JK1wxTPdYM

Also, can we please uncover a scandal about Sumitomo so we can have someone else please. :lol:
Pretty good.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote: Also, can we please uncover a scandal about Sumitomo so we can have someone else please. :lol:
If anything like that happened again, that "someone else" would just be Kikuchi's recycled music.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."