Kai Episode 119 (31 August 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 119 (31 August 2014)

Post by Hujio » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 119, aired 31 August 2014

魔人はオレがかたづける ベジータ最期の決死戦!
Majin wa Ore ga Katazukeru Bejīta Saigo no Kesshi-sen!
I’ll Take Care of the Majin — Vegeta’s Final Desperate Battle!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 119 (31 August 2014)

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Any one checked the episode yet?. I couldn´t see it :S
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Same issues as usual.

Faulconer-esque music in abundance and extraneous filler to pad out the episode for Vegeta's death next week.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Same issues as usual.

Faulconer-esque music in abundance and extraneous filler to pad out the episode for Vegeta's death next week.
so was the placement any good this week?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:38 am

Naruto6583 wrote:so was the placement any good this week?
To be honest...beside the Vegeta's flashback, no, it was really bad this time (Gosh...especially when the fight starts...Super Famicom BGM strikes again! Are they stupid or something ?!! :shock: ).Add to that a lot of awkward cuts, a very weak acting from Horikawa - this is the first time I noticed that...I'm so disappointed, sad to see so iconic moments be totally ruined in this way, really :cry: .OK, this is just the anime and all, but I almost want to cry seeing such amateurism and disrespect.Why the hell does the episodes quality varies so much from one week to the next?!
I fear the worst for next week.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Faulconer-esque music in abundance and extraneous filler to pad out the episode for Vegeta's death next week.
It's almost a compliment, Ajay^^.Really, I'm not a Faulconer fan, but IMO he handled those scenes much better.Nagasaki & Motoyama sucks in comparison, they totally ruins Sumitomo's works with their bad choices & placements.They should be FIRED for what they've done.
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:52 am

So basically if they bring out the synth BGM, fans complain, and if they bring out the orchestral BGM, fans complain like "I wish they had kept it for the big moment later".
It's a no-win situation for Toei.

Anyway, sometimes it feels like "people complain" is a short sentence that could pretty much apply to everything in this world at all times nowadays. Which paradoxically makes that those negative remarks lose all relevance and that only the annoyance is left.
Can't wait to see everyone making a scandal out of next week's big scene even if they put the best music ever for it. Just wait and see.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:16 am

Mmmm, Faulconer mainly uses synths for his score, and I really don't see any problem about that, he handled the original episodes (235-236 ?) very well.The problem is the feelings brought by the music chosen by these two clowns.When the fight between Vegeta & Majin Boo starts, it really don't fit with the scene.You could easily put it on Mister Satan's gags, but certainly not in a fight to the death.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:29 am

^ Fair enough, your point of view is a valid one with a nice reason.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:47 am

I think I've spent enough time writing lengthy explanations with thorough reasoning over the past few months to get a pass on one of-the-cuff remark. Like I said last week, I have no interest in writing super detailed responses unless I really feel like I'm saying something new.

Plain and simply; I don't like the score. It's not suitable for Dragon Ball in the slightest much like Faulconer's synth sounds were never suitable either. That doesn't make them all inherently bad; it's just that they don't fit.

The stand-out orchestral tracks are mostly fine (if a little generic) but the inbetween tracks are just so poor. I get such horrible flashbacks to Faulconer's score from it even if they are far more melodic. The track that has featured fairly prominently for the past two weeks is something straight from some 80's cop show. It's not a bad track but it's not suitable for this show at all.

Yes, the placement has a lot to do with it but even with the best placement; I don't think many of the complaints would have changed. The score by itself just isn't up to par not suitable on the whole.

I've pointed out many positives since the show started and there's still many moments that the show has done right. Vegeta's confession was done wonderfully just the other week too.

I don't like your implication, Cold Skin, that everyone is simply complaining regardless of what's actually happening on screen. I actually think many people have remained pretty level-headed about it. Heck, like I mentioned last week also, I've been accused of 'flip-flopping' too much because I was happy to throw positives at it when it deserved it. I definitely don't appreciate your post. "Just wait and see". C'mon dude, if you don't agree with what people are saying then go ahead and post your own thoughts and opinions rather than belittling others.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:46 pm

I actually enjoyed this week's episode, not sure where the awkward editing was, I must have genuinely missed it - I'll try and watch it again at some point.

The music and placement at times has been awful, but I didn't think this week was any better or worse than the previous weeks - especially the Majin Buu "theme" when he first appeared.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Finally watched it, I really don´t know what all the fuss is about, I don´t think the tracks are unbearable as repetitive, that´s the only flaw, also we need more orchestra, new orchestra tracks. if Sumi-kun started to work in kai before bog, I hope some bog tracks start to appear atleast by halfway through the arc. maybe we´ll get more orchestra goodness. :D
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Finally saw it, don't know how you guys do this without subs... Anyway, I thought the music placement was good this time around, and I love that theme that plays when Vegeta is just flexin on Buu nonstop. As long as that disco theme never comes back during a serious scene, I think we'll be fine.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:26 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Finally saw it, don't know how you guys do this without subs.
For me, it's that I've read the manga and seen Z so many times, I pretty much know it by heart.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:22 pm

I have to say, I watched this episode again last night, and just can't see what all the fuss is about from an editing point of view.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey guys! I just thought of something I think might be a neat idea! Why don't we contact Scott Morgan, and see what he thinks of each Episode's music? Just to see whatever interesting insights come from someone who is both very experienced AND has worked on this show in the past? Wouldn't that be kind of cool :) ?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Hey guys! I just thought of something I think might be a neat idea! Why don't we contact Scott Morgan, and see what he thinks of each Episode's music? Just to see whatever interesting insights come from someone who is both very experienced AND has worked on this show in the past? Wouldn't that be kind of cool :) ?
Scott Morgan IS rather easy to contact nowadays.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 am

Alright, cool! Any other takers?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".