Kai Episode 120 (07 September 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 120 (07 September 2014)

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Anyway, now that this moment is out of the way. What's the next big one we can (not) look forward to?

Goku Super Saiyan 3.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Let me pose this question, for fun's sake (and I ask this question as somebody who agrees that the music, while good, was misplaced)...

Where would that music fit? In Kai, I mean. What triumphant moment in the Buu arc would justify that music? I'm having trouble thinking of one myself...it has got to fit somewhere--and it should be placed somewhere, because the track in and of itself is quite good--but my mind's drawing a blank.
Vegeta's respect (well, almost...), Goku's Spirit Bomb or the last scene of DBZ Kai.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:47 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Anyway, now that this moment is out of the way. What's the next big one we can (not) look forward to?

Goku Super Saiyan 3.
Oh my god I can picture it now, Goku starts screaming as he starts going Super Saiyan 3 and the fucking disco music starts playing....
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:54 pm

I think that this track will play during this episode (DBZ Episode 245) because it has just become one with Goku.
But as for the transformation itself, I hope that they will use something like this .

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Once that part comes out I will paste my own SSJ3 Goku theme on it :P I hope Sumitomo composed something savage for the super saiyan 3. And I hope the placement works well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kZ2DA44k8
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm

I think once the US DVD/Blu-Ray release comes out we can take out Sumimoto's score and put the original Kikuchi music from Z back in.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I think once the US DVD/Blu-Ray release comes out we can take out Sumimoto's score and put the original Kikuchi music from Z back in.
I am looking forward to my own placement for the buu saga as well. I might try to put in other works from Sumitomo like Shibakane Hime Kuro. My life goal is to make a symphonic version using beethoven and mozart XD

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 am

Black_Liger wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I think once the US DVD/Blu-Ray release comes out we can take out Sumimoto's score and put the original Kikuchi music from Z back in.
I am looking forward to my own placement for the buu saga as well. I might try to put in other works from Sumitomo like Shibakane Hime Kuro. My life goal is to make a symphonic version using beethoven and mozart XD
I say go for it man
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:43 am

I really wish the episode would've ended with stone Vegeta falling and crumbling. I hated how the Z episode ended with Vegeta screaming in the explosion, that was a terrible spot to end the episode, and here they did it again. Geez.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 am

Yeah, I have to join the rainy day; how do you follow up with that when your previous scene was "You're making the ultimate sacrifice for the best of causes... and because you were a selfish murderer for most of your life to this point, you're going to Hell for it." Even the placement of "Hell's Bell's" in the Toonami arrangement fits better.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:12 am

I can see what they were going for with that last piece, but hat was NOT the time to use it. And the trumpets were too much, totally ruined what I thought was their intent in using it here.

Just no.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 am

I think the last track would have worked better if it's cut short and stopped playing when Vegeta says "and Kakarrot."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Everything about the soundtrack that needed to be said was already said so I would just be repeating myself.

Takeshi Kusao was fantastic on this episode.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:33 pm

I... have not seen this scene in japanese O__O

And now I have. Alright, yeah I can see that as a superior version. What I really noticed is that virtually nothing was cut (which, tbh was a good move, the original was cut very tight and neat) and everything that was cut is not something I would've cut. Kuririn's response is amazing and should've been in there. Honestly I have to say I like the music better in Kai. HOWEVER. I like the silence better in the original version. Honestly Kikuchi's really awesome and most of the time his music is spot on, but I didn't feel it here. I think the Kai music actually sort of fit (or at least more than Kikuchi's score), but if the Kai soundtrack was silent at the time the original soundtrack was... that would've been the best.

Honestly, the highlight for me was the super serious drum theme when Vegeta was in the exact same predicament as Goku in his first Tenkaichi Budokai against Giran :p Hope TFS makes a joke about that :p But anyway, that music, to me, makes almost every scene its in feel important and it usually fits so well. This time it fit even better. However I would've cut it so that the music would've ended after Trunks kicks Majin Buu away. Also... I forgot how good the writing was in this part O__O And kind of subtle too (or at least more subtle than I'm used from Toriyama). Goten's remark on how Gohan would do the same thing and Piccolo loses his grip was just heart-breaking. But the things Trunks says (maybe because I had only seen this in english before) make it so very believable that Vegeta acts the way he does after that. Majin Buu gave Vegeta the first nudge to repent and the things Trunks says and the belief Trunks has in him is truly something worth fighting for. I really love how that played out.

That really clouds my judgement over this episode :p I really liked it and it was cut pretty well. A few little things here and there, but a pretty solid episode and I don't really think that the music ruins the scene for it not being quite the right emotion. It's a different take. Not a better take. Not a bad take. It's just different. Well, that's my opinion anyway :p

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Hands down my favorite episode thus far. The timing, the cuts, the music placement, and that final scene. Gotta hand it to em this time.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 am

Vegeta's sacrifice scene is creating controversy, but I think the track that played when Vegeta hugs Trunks is no less unfitting than the last track. It was too oppressing and emotionless for the scene. Why didn't they just throw in a more emotional piece there?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 am

That music piece they used for Majin Vegeta's farewell was beautiful and very fitting, it feels like something Yamamoto would've done it himself.

Can't wait for Goku to go Super Saiyan 3 now!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm one of the people who is pretty easy to please. I'm not too picky as I just enjoy having things be reasonably cut in comparison to the awful pacing of Z and it's filler. Here though, I just think it wasn't very good in comparison to how Z did it. Takeshi Kusao was awesome, but that's about it. Horikawa's final yell reminded me of the yell he did when 18 broke Vegeta's arm. Both were pitiful in comparison to his previous performances. I also just don't understand how sad=triumphant. Some of the piece was really nice, and then they brought in triumphant crap. I want to feel sad when Vegeta for once selflessly sacrifices himself. I feel like the music is telling me to feel excited for Vegeta rather than sad.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:18 pm

If Z had used Triumphant music during this scene, I wonder how people would have reacted if Kai had used super serious placement with the silence :P.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:25 pm

I know you're probably just messing around but it would be the same reaction but reversed. It doesn't really matter what came first; it's down to what that scene represents.

Those who found, what would now be the 'original', emotional and triumphant would find the silence 'underwhelming' or 'bland' or whatever, I'm sure.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Black_Liger wrote:If Z had used Triumphant music during this scene, I wonder how people would have reacted if Kai had used super serious placement with the silence :P.
So you want to say that people prefer Z and bash Kai just because Z is the original? No. I would have preferred silence no matter what version it is. It's not as simple as you think.