Kai Episode 122 (21 September 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 122 (21 September 2014)

Post by Hujio » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:31 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 122, aired 21 September 2014

ブウを倒す秘策 その名はフュージョン!
Bū o Taosu Hisaku Sono Na wa Fyūjon!
The Secret Plan to Defeat Buu — Its Name is Fusion!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 122 (21 September 2014)

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:26 am

So is Kai re-run of DBZ with different BGMs and worse quality now? At this rate I expect Vegetto Normal's full fight against Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:59 am

Nightstar1994 wrote:So is Kai re-run of DBZ with different BGMs and worse quality now? At this rate I expect Vegetto Normal's full fight against Buu.
It'll probably be in the international version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:39 am

Nightstar1994 wrote:So is Kai re-run of DBZ with different BGMs and worse quality now? At this rate I expect Vegetto Normal's full fight against Buu.
It's still twice as fast, I would have preferred fewer episodes in the international version but well, I'm not really a fan of the original pacing.

As for the episode itself, it was decent enough. Good to see anyone other than the Saiyans have a shot at being useful. The placement was a little weird at the end, with the disco music, followed by action music for healing and then dark music for talking about the fusion. I would really slap the sound director right now.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm okay with that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:34 pm

The pacing is still a big improvement over the original "Z" Buu Arc. I actually quite enjoyed that episode, the Roshi scenes with the dinosaur & #18 were hilarious.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:44 pm

The only downside to the episode - and to upcoming episodes and to the manga as well -, is Boo's destructive adventure.
Seeing "big baby" Boo's life until the dog gets shot is most uninteresting, I would prefer if the anime didn't show more to it than there already is in the manga (and there's already too much of it in the manga).

Other than that, I'm okay with everything, except Kame Sennin's ultimate move that was really unnecessary slapstick "fart-fart" comedy.
Good enough for when Goku and co. are still young at the Tenkaichi Budokai, but not when it's about an old man making a giant dinosaur - a serious threat - KO with it in Z/Kai...
The gas cloud he makes is about half the giant dinosaur's size anyway, where does he keep all of that inside his body?! Wouldn't wanna be him in the toilet, he's likely putting himself in lethal danger with the full room being gased like that.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Seems like people have given up on Kai. Can't blame them really. Interest should peak again around Super Saiyan 3 to see if they fuck up that moment too. I swear they better not do Disco Ball Z on that moment. Please give us an epic original piece.

On the last two episodes they're...ok...but man did Namek look so green in the flash back. More so than usual.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:17 pm

That whole "Dragon Ball adventure" with the dinodragon was unneeded. What a waste of time. They cut fights shorter but keep useless filler like this, don't understand.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I swear they better not do Disco Ball Z on that moment. Please give us an epic original piece.
I have a feeling they'll use that same piece from when Vegeta was possessed. They've used that a ton, but it would fit in the Super Saiyan 3 scene quite well I feel.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:10 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Seems like people have given up on Kai. Can't blame them really. Interest should peak again around Super Saiyan 3 to see if they fuck up that moment too. I swear they better not do Disco Ball Z on that moment. Please give us an epic original piece.

On the last two episodes they're...ok...but man did Namek look so green in the flash back. More so than usual.
And with a redrawn shot!

Wasn't this the episode where Dende restores Goku's gi while healing him? Toei (cleverly) didn't show that.

Oh, Aya Hirano is still voicing Dende, I wonder if we already knew that... Also, I find it funny that they make sure to credit the voice actor for the "chicken-lizard" (I'm guessing is what they call that pink dinosaur, can't remember any other animal in this episode) and also didn't forget about the "lizard" from some episodes ago (I assume it's the one Dabra turned into stone).

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:43 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:That whole "Dragon Ball adventure" with the dinodragon was unneeded. What a waste of time. They cut fights shorter but keep useless filler like this, don't understand.
Because that's what Kai does since the beginning: they are uninterested in keeping fights long, if they have to keep some fillers, they'll keep fillers that keep showing what everyone else does.
Which is more interesting, fights should be the length of the manga anyway, it's not what's interesting in the story.

So expect that fillers will be to show what other characters are doing in the meantime, because it's always been that way and that's how fillers are interesting.
Much like in video games, where it should be mandatory to add post-release DLC release to show "now you play from this character's perspective".

So yes, of course you're going to see Bulma and co.'s adventures not to keep them out of the picture, of course you'll see them all fighting Boo and being turned to food, of course you're gonna see them in the Other World...
Because Kai always understood that's the filler worth keeping, certainly not additionnal punches, kicks and beams... Cut short the fights, spend more time on the plot and characters like Toriyama.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:53 am

Cold Skin wrote: Fights should be the length of the manga anyway.
If we were talking about the other arcs i'd agree but not this one,The fight are way to short which is ok for reading but not watching.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:37 am

alakazam^ wrote:Also, I find it funny that they make sure to credit the voice actor for the "chicken-lizard" (I'm guessing is what they call that pink dinosaur, can't remember any other animal in this episode) and also didn't forget about the "lizard" from some episodes ago (I assume it's the one Dabra turned into stone).
I find it even more hilarious that they actually credited Nail's voice actor just over a single grunt.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:37 am

Cold Skin wrote:The only downside to the episode - and to upcoming episodes and to the manga as well -, is Boo's destructive adventure.
Seeing "big baby" Boo's life until the dog gets shot is most uninteresting, I would prefer if the anime didn't show more to it than there already is in the manga (and there's already too much of it in the manga).

Other than that, I'm okay with everything, except Kame Sennin's ultimate move that was really unnecessary slapstick "fart-fart" comedy.
Good enough for when Goku and co. are still young at the Tenkaichi Budokai, but not when it's about an old man making a giant dinosaur - a serious threat - KO with it in Z/Kai...
The gas cloud he makes is about half the giant dinosaur's size anyway, where does he keep all of that inside his body?! Wouldn't wanna be him in the toilet, he's likely putting himself in lethal danger with the full room being gased like that.

I dunno, when I watched the episodes around ten years ago, I really liked this "Baby Boo" stuff.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:19 am

sintzu wrote:
If we were talking about the other arcs i'd agree but not this one,The fight are way to short which is ok for reading but not watching.
Agreed. The Freeza Arc needed heavy editing, that fight was too damn long. But there's some beautiful animation they either rush or cut altogether. I'm an animator so naturally I like seeing those segments.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:44 am

sintzu wrote:
Still not understanding what makes the Buu arc's manga fights so different from the rest. Since we're talking about Vegetto, I don't see the value of stretching a 2 chapter fight, which could easily be done in half an episode, out for 4 ungodly boring episodes (269-272). The purpose of the Vegetto fight was for Vegetto to provoke Buu into absorbing him so can rescue Gohan and the others. I see no reason why he should dick around in his base form and provoke Buu into almost shattering dimensions. The manga's fight is perfect as is.
DBZ_Lee wrote:The pacing is still a big improvement over the original "Z" Buu Arc. I actually quite enjoyed that episode, the Roshi scenes with the dinosaur & #18 were hilarious.
How is being practically 1:1 a "big" improvement?
DarkPrince_92 wrote:That whole "Dragon Ball adventure" with the dinodragon was unneeded. What a waste of time.
Agreed! In the manga, Kuririn mentioned that Bulma happened to have all seven balls at her house then we cut there with Shen Long already being summoned. They just needed to change one line of dialogue and we could've been spared damn near half an episode of filler! Man, is Toei ever lazy!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:17 pm

People were surprised they left in the DB Hunt? It was shown in the trailer.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Kid Buu wrote:People were surprised they left in the DB Hunt? It was shown in the trailer.
The trailer contains shots from the international version, so it doesn't necessarily guarantee what's going to remain in the Japanese broadcast.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 am

It was an okay episode for me but Yamucha or Videl just flying up there to get the ball rather than Bulma was a huge mistake and a time waste too. I thought I'd get to see Goten and Trunks learning fusion in this episode but nope that didn't happen.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray