Kai Episode 125 (12 October 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 125 (12 October 2014)

Post by Hujio » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:05 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 125, aired 12 October 2014

試練の時 伝説の力を手に入れろ!
Shiren no Toki Densetsu no Chikara o Te ni Irero!
A Time of Tribulation — Grab Hold the Power of Legend!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 125 (12 October 2014)

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:29 pm

They used that crappy "Disco Ball Z" track for the Z-Sword scene! I DON'T BELIEVE IT :shock: .Apart from that, everything went fine so, it's really a shame ! Please just stop with that crap ! It ruins everything.
Oh, the Super Saiyan 3 is for next week, finally! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqVftEXfVRg

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:They used that crappy "Disco Ball Z" track for the Z-Sword scene! I DON'T BELIEVE IT :shock: .Apart from that, everything went fine so, it's really a shame ! Please just stop with that crap ! It ruins everything.
Oh, the Super Saiyan 3 is for next week, finally! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqVftEXfVRg
I die a little everytime they use that for an action scene.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I die a little everytime they use that for an action scene.
Especially since the previous track was just perfect for this kind of scene.It seems impossible to go wrong on such a choice !

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:49 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:I die a little everytime they use that for an action scene.
Especially since the previous track was just perfect for this kind of scene.It seems impossible to go wrong on such a choice !
Does the sound director hate dragon ball anyway? some track placements are totally an imposible choice for someone who has a little bit of competence in his work.

EDIT: However, I do LOVE the 90's styled pieces Sumitomo has made, I love the new track that plays in Krillin's flashback... Kinda reminds me of playing RPG on the 90's as a kid.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 am

That track just fits the moment as well as when Goku defeats Yakon. It's a joyful "witness a good turn of events happen" / "witness a victory happen" / "this time it feels like it's going to be just fine".
Could have worked even when Goku said "NOOOW!!" to Gohan against Cell in the final moment. Could even work for the Super Saiyan 3 scene, as seen in a previous post in the thread of a previous episode.

The only downside you could possibly find is that as a happy track, it reveals that the victory is coming: Goku will have the upper hand on Yakon, Goku will free himself from Vegeta and come back in the fight, and Gohan will pull the sword out in a few seconds. But sometimes, making you feel like "this time, looks like it's about to turn out well, come on, it's gonna be a success for sure, we believe it!" before hand is precisely the feeling intended by the placement.

Espcially since the Z-Sword scene is nothing important, so as usual, unless a total contrast placement (sad when it's happy or happy when it's sad), most things could work.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:20 am

Ahhh SS3..

I know Toriyama wrote on the fly but this really bothers me... considering just a short time ago Goku said he was the same strength as Vegeta and he wouldn't fare any better against Buu.

Then this happens and just..meh.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 am

^ He is right about that statement, since he probably originally intended to obey the implied rule of not transforming into a Super Saiyan 3 as a living incarnation on Earth. So being strictly restricted to Super Saiyan 2, he's about as strong as Vegeta.

But once he has no choice left but to turn SS3 because the situation will be irreversible otherwise (which Kaio is pretty mad/panicked about), he does so as the only thing that comes to his mind to buy some time, breaking the rule, but still making sure that he won't be the one to defeat the enemy: the kids should do it to get used to saving Earth, as Goten and Trunks are bound to be the ones that will save Earth from all of its future foes now that Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are dead.

But since it can be considered that he originally did not intend to reveal the Super Saiyan 3 on Earth despite the situation, his statement that he wouldn't be stronger than Vegeta makes sense.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ He is right about that statement, since he probably originally intended to obey the implied rule of not transforming into a Super Saiyan 3 as a living incarnation on Earth. So being strictly restricted to Super Saiyan 2, he's about as strong as Vegeta.

But once he has no choice left but to turn SS3 because the situation will be irreversible otherwise (which Kaio is pretty mad/panicked about), he does so as the only thing that comes to his mind to buy some time, breaking the rule, but still making sure that he won't be the one to defeat the enemy: the kids should do it to get used to saving Earth, as Goten and Trunks are bound to be the ones that will save Earth from all of its future foes now that Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are dead.

But since it can be considered that he originally did not intend to reveal the Super Saiyan 3 on Earth despite the situation, his statement that he wouldn't be stronger than Vegeta makes sense.
But the plot hole is still there. He could've turned SS3, stopped Vegeta and prevented Buu's hatching.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 pm

^ Well, physically, he could have. But since he morally was restricted to never use that form during his time here, he couldn't have. So due to both these facts, it can be considered a plot hole or not at all.

If this is about climbing at some place and I'm naturally way superior to a friend of mine, I might say I can do better than him.
Now if I'm asked to try to reach the goal and I secretly have to obey a "one arm and one leg" rule that I don't intend to break even with the current circumstances, I will answer "no, I'm not better than him right now and wouldn't do better than him if I tried", with the secret implication being "because of the conditions I obey without telling you that drastically decrease my skills".

Goku doesn't state anything that is plot hole if you consider he's telling the truth given the restrictions he's under: without access to Super Saiyan 3, he's no better than Vegeta. And accessing the Super Saiyan 3 is not something he even remotely considers at this point. So he wouldn't say "I could do much better than Vegeta, but I'm not allowed to and I won't, so it's useless for me to try as I'd be on Vegeta's level", he just directly states "It's useless for me to try as I'd be on Vegeta's level".
Why make anybody aware of a possibility you're not willing to use at all? Just skip that part and state the final result: "Right now, I can't be stronger than Vegeta", period.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Quite enjoyed this episode, pacing has moved forward a little, can't wait for Super Saiyan 3!

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Good episode, good music placement, only complaint is bloody DISCO BALL!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 pm

If we get Super Saiyan 3 Disco Edition, I'm completely writing off the Boo arc of Kai. No matter how good the FUNi dub ends up being.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:32 am

Metalwario64 wrote:If we get Super Saiyan 3 Disco Edition, I'm completely writing off the Boo arc of Kai. No matter how good the FUNi dub ends up being.
Man, I'll be so happy if they do it. Just to know that people with balls that big exist.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Nah, they'll use a pretty "normal" music, nothing extraordinary. And they should.
The Super Saiyan 3 is not a legendary scene, it's nothing exceptionnal unlike the first Super Saiyan transformation and the first Super Saiyan 2 transformation. It didn't even get reanimated in Ultimate Tenkaichi, it's just not a memorable scene that should have any special treatment. But then again, Ultimate Tenkaichi didn't even reanimate Vegeta's sacrifice either (probably because it can be done in-game) when it's undoubtedly a legendary scene, so...

Well, that's how I see it anyway, I'm sure some of you consider it legendary, but I never felt like it reached the status of the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 scenes and just feels like another regular scene.
Perhaps because the Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 scenes were the result of a long-building climax with entire episodes of a tough situation in both cases, while the Super Saiyan 3 is a transformation Goku already knows how to do and just take out of his sleeves in an episode and moment that could be like any other and is not the result of a like-never-before situation that pushes the character to break limits for the very first time.

The first shots of Gotenks and Vegetto are much more memorable, because you had heard of those and were waiting for them to be revealed after all this hype, much like the Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 (and I'd see Disco Ball Z fitting well with Gotenks first appearing, either as his base form or as a Super Saiyan).

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:30 am

Cold Skin wrote:The first shots of Gotenks and Vegetto are much more memorable, because you had heard of those and were waiting for them to be revealed after all this hype, much like the Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 (and I'd see Disco Ball Z fitting well with Gotenks first appearing, either as his base form or as a Super Saiyan).
I wouldn't mind hearing something similar to the Faulconer score for Gotenks's first appearance (was it also used for SS3?) in one of these scenes. I think it, for once, fit the scene pretty well.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:01 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:The first shots of Gotenks and Vegetto are much more memorable, because you had heard of those and were waiting for them to be revealed after all this hype, much like the Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 (and I'd see Disco Ball Z fitting well with Gotenks first appearing, either as his base form or as a Super Saiyan).
I wouldn't mind hearing something similar to the Faulconer score for Gotenks's first appearance (was it also used for SS3?) in one of these scenes. I think it, for once, fit the scene pretty well.
The song was called gotenks is born. It has a similar beat to the SSJ3 theme but at the same time different
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

Naruto6583 wrote:The song was called gotenks is born. It has a similar beat to the SSJ3 theme but at the same time different
Yes, that's the one I mean. There are many Faulconer tracks that I like, but Gotenks is born is one of the few tracks which I think also fit the scene.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:54 am

Faulconer's Super Boo theme during the Super Saiyan 3 Goku scene would make it rather really exciting and an incredible experience rather than what its original intentions were.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:32 pm

TheAldella wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:If we get Super Saiyan 3 Disco Edition, I'm completely writing off the Boo arc of Kai. No matter how good the FUNi dub ends up being.
Man, I'll be so happy if they do it. Just to know that people with balls that big exist.
This. I wonder if they have the balls to screw up the SSJ3 scene that badly. I really hope we get a special original piece for that epic moment...but I'm betting we won't.

I've caught up on the past 3 episodes to prepare for this weekends event. I want to see if Kai can pull it off.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!