Kai Episode 137 (11 January 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 137 (11 January 2015)

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I think all of these Kai 2.0 (and the second Kai ending song) are not only unfitting, but they're just very bland and generic songs.
I give "Wings Of The Heart" a pass because of a few reasons (it was chosen back when the staff at Toei still had some excitement and passion for Kai; the band renamed themselves "Team Dragon" to semi-distract fans from thinking it was just a randomly-chosen pop song, etc.). It was still obviously a cash-in, but I tend to group "Wings Of The Heart" in with the GT songs (which are randomly-chosen cash-in songs that I actually like).

I see no reason to defend any of the ending songs for Kai 2.0 like that. They're all just last-minute replacements for the original international ending theme. Had the last-minute decision to broadcast Kai 2.0 in Japan not been made, these songs would have never been chosen at all. And as if that weren't enough reason to ignore them, the songs just aren't very good. Sure, Masami Takei gave us that PR spiel about how he thought about Dragon Ball while writing "Oh Yeah!!!!!!!," and that he chose seven exclamation points as an homage to the Dragon Balls themselves, but I don't buy it.

Unless they release a song collection album for Kai 2.0, I'm just going to buy the "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" single and call it a day. I think I can miss out on these ending songs and still hang on to my "completist" card.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Love the visual part.
Repost: some of that art is little off, I am not a fan of modern cheap anime animation, but I really appreciate a lot, that they used the various original art style from the eras and didn't redesign it to nowadays standards.
I am really happy with this and for me as an old fan from 90's, it is the biggest and greatest thing done in Dragon Ball franchise in years.

Tough as usual, I just hate Japanese music, it's just generic and not that much original.... + that autotune? Really, that guy is singing trough his voice, he is probably not good a singer as a whole, so to his nasal bad voice, apply autotune,
the contrast just gets a lot bigger.... I think Dragon Soul and Fight It Out were spot on with Dragon Ball (tough nothing will top the original themes in Z for me), but I just don't have place in my heart, for mediocre soft rock,
done by some untalented one hit manequins. It's noticeable, when compared with Japanese bands like Boom Boom Satelites for example.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 pm

MagicBox wrote: Unless they release a song collection album for Kai 2.0, I'm just going to buy the "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" single and call it a day. I think I can miss out on these ending songs and still hang on to my "completist" card.
Actually, for a completist, it would logically be the other way around: what was done for the international version is irrelevant, full versions of those songs will likely never be available (if they exist at all) and if "complete collection" CDs are released in the future about all the series or if music from Kai is included in future games, the openings/endings featured will be those of the Japanese version.
In other words, all of the Japanese update's songs are acknowledged and part of the Dragon Ball history, while all of the international songs will likely be considered non-existant in any other official product. A completist should buy every one of those singles and cherish them as yet other legendary themes officially representing Dragon Ball.

But feel free to do as you want, everyone is free to see things as they see fit in the end, just like for what people consider "canon" or not. :thumbup:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:33 pm

I actually really like the song. If anyone is interested, here's the music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ebOh-dnU0
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Actually, what was done for the international version is irrelevant, full versions of those songs will likely never be available (if they exist at all) and if "complete collection" CDs are released in the future about all the series or if music from Kai is included in future games, the openings/endings featured will be those of the Japanese version.
Oh, I never said they were more likely to release the international version's songs. We'll likely never, ever get those on an official disc. Hell, they can't even be bothered to release "Orange Hero" from the JSAT special or any of the "Dragon Ball Heroes" songs. Those international Kai songs don't stand a chance. If a mini-album ever is released (which isn't particularly likely in the first place), I don't expect it to include anything other than the Japanese version's themes.
Cold Skin wrote:In other words, all of the Japanese update's songs are acknowledged and part of the Dragon Ball history, while all of the international songs will likely be considered non-existant in any other official product.
That's entirely true, and I never said otherwise. But regardless of what is "officially acknowledged," we still know that "Dear Zarathustra," "Pure Heart," "GALAXY," and "Oh Yeah!!!!!!!" are just replacement songs chosen for the domestic broadcast (that have no connection to Dragon Ball aside from being chosen as quick replacement themes). Yes, I realize that I'm technically not a completist if I don't buy them. I was never trying to delude myself by saying otherwise. All I was saying was that I don't feel a very strong obligation to buy these like I would with the other Dragon Ball songs. The "personal canon" statement you made is a good parallel. I'm just choosing to ignore these songs given the circumstances by which they became a part of the franchise.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs