Kai Episode 137 (11 January 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 137 (11 January 2015)

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:38 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 137, broadcast 11 January 2015

特訓完了!これで終わりだ魔人ブウ
Tokkun Kanryō! Kore de Owari da Majin Buu!
Special Training Completed! You’re Finished Now, Majin Buu!

New ending, and it's an animation sequence covering Goku throughout DB and DBZ, I like the sequence!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 137 (11 January 2015)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Did anyone take even just a low quality copy of the Ending? I want to see who is credited for doing the animation.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Another decent episode. Was that a new track I heard when Gotenks was fighting Super Buu? really liked it!. Still just over 10 episodes worth of content to go in the last 23.

And that ending animation was... weird, if they covered the first part of the manga, then it would have been "ok", but it's random to say the least. I know it's the final ending, so they want to wrap up with pictures from then entire story, but it looks odd, and out of place.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Here's the 4th ending : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enMknkH33k
From a crappy "color-corrected" version, that's why the colors seems so bland.Sorry about that.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:52 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Here's the 4th ending : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enMknkH33k
From a crappy "color-corrected" version, that's why the colors seems so bland.Sorry about that.
Man, I think this is my favorite ending animation ever!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Shida Naotoshi is once again credited with 'Ending Assistance'. I think that just means he drew the Ending himself.

Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 pm

songohan619 wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:Here's the 4th ending : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enMknkH33k
Man, I think this is my favorite ending animation ever!
the song is very cool!
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Screen captures from the new Ending. Shida really dug deep for this one.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:05 am

That song is terrible. The singer is incredibly nasally and it abuses autotune and filters. It just sounds like any old song from any generic modern anime. I miss the old days when anime (and especially Dragon Ball) had their own freakin' theme songs.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:07 am

I really love the animation. This is what BOG and Fukkatsu No F should have been like so Great Job Shida! As for the song its decent, but I think they could have matched up with a more uplifting and epic song considering it is going through Goku's Life.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 am

Outside of the SSJ3 bug eyes, this is really nice. It'd be nice to see some of his work in motion though. Panning stills only excite me so much.
I think that just means she drew the Ending himself.
That typo totally threw off my perceptions for a second. I didn't notice the 'himself' bit and thought I'd misgendered the guy for years! :lol:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:04 am

Crap, what a horrible typo. He's a man, we have proof! :P
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I miss the old days when anime (and especially Dragon Ball) had their own freakin' theme songs.
It's funny. "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" is the only one of these songs that was actually written for Dragon Ball, and wouldn't you know it? That's the only one that I end up liking enough to want to purchase. These random pop/rock artists are just killing me.

I wonder if this is how fans like us reacted back when they first heard GT's songs in '96...

Anyway, we're in the final stretch! Soon we'll finally be able to close the book on Kai!
DBZ_Lee wrote:Was that a new track I heard when Gotenks was fighting Super Buu? really liked it!.
Which reminds me...

Should we pretty much give up hope for a soundtrack CD by now? They've completely missed their chance. If Columbia had wanted to cash in on this show while it was relevant, they would have had a soundtrack out in stores by August at the latest. At this point, the show'll be over before any CDs can be made. I think Sumitomo fans might be out of luck...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:16 am

I think the problem here is more so with Dragon Ball Kai being stuck with awful musicians, rather than the songs not being made for the franchise. As much as I love me some old school anison-style songs it doesn't mean the alternative is inherently bad. Naruto and Bleach don't get their own songs, but that doesn't stop the Opening and Endings from being good. Naruto Shippuuden Opening #16 is a great example of this, although Sessha Gorou's kickass directing and the key animators he brought on help make the experience really memorable. Opening #12 is another really cool one!

In other words, Dragon Ball Kai just sucks. :P
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:58 am

MagicBox wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I miss the old days when anime (and especially Dragon Ball) had their own freakin' theme songs.
It's funny. "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" is the only one of these songs that was actually written for Dragon Ball, and wouldn't you know it? That's the only one that I end up liking enough to want to purchase. These random pop/rock artists are just killing me.

I wonder if this is how fans like us reacted back when they first heard GT's songs in '96...
Definitely in agreement. I am glad that at least we got intro themes made for the show (and Yeah Break Care Break, which was replaced with the idol stuff after Freeza).

While it did start with GT, at least for me those songs were pretty nice. I think all of these Kai 2.0 (and the second Kai ending song) are not only unfitting, but they're just very bland and generic songs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:38 am

The choices for Kai endings are terrible. Why not include Kageyama/JAM Project for the final ending instead.

Rethinking it though, Kai isn't worthy of them.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:15 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That song is terrible. The singer is incredibly nasally and it abuses autotune and filters.
Holy shit you're not lying. I shudder to think what Yamasaki Seiya sounds like live.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:30 am

The drawings are taken straight out of the manga panels, and were likely traced from those, with very minor differences if you look very closely and really search for them.
Other than that, if you put the pictures side by side, the shapes and proportions really tried to reproduce the manga panels rather than their anime counterparts, with every milimeter taken in account.
Even details such as Goku's thumb slightly going over the third finger of his closed fist...

So yeah, I think despite very subtle differences, it's been directly traced from the manga.
It is very unusual to see the anime stick to Toriyama's style, usually the anime artists don't (or can't?) reproduce his exact style. Even the expressions on his face, it's... the "Toriyama version of Goku" for the first time in the anime.
It's the very first time that I saw anime pictures and thought "wait, those are the exact manga panels, those are Toriyama's very specific drawings I've seen for years, they've traced over the manga panels".

Shouldn't they always do that in the first place? Trace each manga panel as the key animation frame and THEN do their own stuff for the in-between animation to make it move? (also probably extending the drawing if the original panel is not enough to fill the screen)
That would ensure maximum fidelity to the author's style at every moment...

EDIT: I've just seen that in another general thread, FatNagger69 has proven it's really traced from the manga.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah, Shida Tweeted all he did was storyboard the Ending, which probably didn't take more than a few days if that. Still, I have to assume the 'Dragon' he was working on in 03 December 2014 was really this new Ending's storyboard and not Fukkatsu no F.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter