Kai Episode 138 (18 January 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 138 (18 January 2015)

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:19 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:But feel free to mention how TERRIBLY IMPORTANT a middle finger is.
How dare we disapprove of censorship in a show we love. Was this your response to Raditz's death scene?
Yeah, cause that kind of censorship of five seconds of middle finger really ruins the whole feel of the scene, and largely impacts the story. :roll:

Wanna know what's actually important to convey about the original author's vision? Bulma with purple hair. Super Saiyan with white or blue flames. Goku wearing orange and not red. Freezer killing Cargot.
Now, who did those missteps? Ah, yeah... It was the original shows, and those were much bigger mistakes that current productions are still prisonners of.

And for Raditz, Kai was wrong about having Goku burned, they should have left a hole. However, they were right to discard Raditz puking blood as it was a gross part that was not in the manga.
Raditz's death never felt gory in the manga, it should not be gory in the anime. But it did seem like they both had a full hole in their chests in the manga, so Kai should have left the holes.
All in all, Kai's scene wins as the lack of hole has much less negative impact on the scene than Raditz trying to paint the whole camera in red.

Middle fingers such as Vegeta's on planet Namek MUST be removed as they don't make sense to begin with and seem unnecessarily vulgar.
Middle fingers such as Gotenks' are disposable, it's detail, it's a shame because it's part of the original panel, but nothing that spoils the experience... unlike what Z did at the time and that Kai has to drag around now (getting rid of the horrible filler and cheesy outdated non-dramatic music can't cover for all of Z's problems).

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:^That depends on how Babidi's middle finger was handled. Was that censored or removed entirely?
Which episode is that in the international channel?
International Kai #134 (Majin Buu Saga #36)

I do know that the scene where two civilians were shot dead by the gunmen were removed from the French broadcast, so the best we can hope for is that the home video release will be uncut.
You got the time stamp, too? (or where in the episode it is)?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Image
Really? That purple blood was "too much"?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Image
Really? That purple blood was "too much"?
Ok, while I will still continue to enjoy kai, I have lost any faith in Toei Animation.

Really?? MOST shonen anime have people puking up blood, and they can't have a tiny bit of blood flowing from a fist that isn't even hurt to begin with!? What's the reasoning behind this!!!?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Man, I applaud whoever noticed that. I doubt I would have noticed that such a tiny amount of blood was missing.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:17 pm

sangofe wrote:You got the time stamp, too? (or where in the episode it is)?
19:27 is where it should happen. They removed it. A split second after Goku leaves Majin Buu & Babidi, the original Z shows Babidi giving Goku the middle finger before retreating. In Kai, the scene is removed, and instead jumps straight to Babidi retreating.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Removed scenes would presumably be the same between both versions. It's actual edits to the footage that I don't think they'd bother doing for the international version.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:20 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I'm sorry to sound like a broken record but I just don't understand the positivity I see in these threads.
Personally, I'm OK with Kai. The music in Boo arc isn't terrible IMO, but it isn't anything great either, so I'm OK there. The cropping isn't an issue for me, especially when they are doing a good job with it, and since the point of Kai is to be a modern version of DBZ (but I want 4:3 in my DBZ). There is more green than there should be, but there is also more pink than it should be in DBZ, so I don't mind since we don't have a perfect version for either series. The corrections are a plus for me, and as for censorship, it's not all over the place, and I can see the uncenshored versions in DBZ, so, while it can be annoying, it doesn't affect me much either.

Music, colors, cropping, censorship... these aren't the main things that create the show. What make DB so great is its story, and the story is faster & closer to the manga than DBZ is, which makes it better IMO. So Dragon Ball Kai is better than Dragon Ball Z for me. But when I want to watch my favorite scenes, I'll almost always watch DBZ, because the music is far superior, and makes the scenes more epic.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sangofe wrote:You got the time stamp, too? (or where in the episode it is)?
19:27 is where it should happen. They removed it. A split second after Goku leaves Majin Buu & Babidi, the original Z shows Babidi giving Goku the middle finger before retreating. In Kai, the scene is removed, and instead jumps straight to Babidi retreating.
Yeah, it's gone.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Anyone wanna give me the lowdown on what this episode covered in comparison to Z? Also is there no new episode this week?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.