Kai Episode 144 (15 March 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Kai Episode 144 (15 March 2015)

Post by TripleRach » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:38 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 144, aired 15 March 2015

大界王神の妙案!よみがえれ孫悟空!!
Dai Kaiōshin no Myōan! Yomigaere Son Gokū!!
The Great Kaiōshin’s Bright Idea! Son Goku is Revived!!
-Rachel

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Kai Episode 144 (15 March 2015)

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:49 pm

It's a minor thing, and I'm sure others have picked up on it, but it's hard not to notice the use of Dai-Kaioushin/"Grand Kaioshin" to refer to the old Kaioshin in the episode title. That is how Goku and Kibito refer to him when he gives his life to Goku, although it's a term introduced out of nowhere and never used to refer to Elder Kaioshin again. And then of course a little while later we get the explanation of how Boo took out four of the five Kaioshins that were around back in the day, at which point "Grand Kaioshin" is re-used as the title for the big fat leader of the Kaioshin who Boo absorbs. I guess I don't have a point, other than that it's interesting how the episode title is drawing attention to this odd detail from the series' history, where the term "Grand Kaioshin" gets first used in a way that's seemingly completely different than how it's later used.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Herms wrote:It's a minor thing, and I'm sure others have picked up on it, but it's hard not to notice the use of Dai-Kaioushin/"Grand Kaioshin" to refer to the old Kaioshin in the episode title. That is how Goku and Kibito refer to him when he gives his life to Goku, although it's a term introduced out of nowhere and never used to refer to Elder Kaioshin again. And then of course a little while later we get the explanation of how Boo took out four of the five Kaioshins that were around back in the day, at which point "Grand Kaioshin" is re-used as the title for the big fat leader of the Kaioshin who Boo absorbs. I guess I don't have a point, other than that it's interesting how the episode title is drawing attention to this odd detail from the series' history, where the term "Grand Kaioshin" gets first used in a way that's seemingly completely different than how it's later used.
That was odd in the Funi dub too. They just called the fat guy "Daykaioh" (obviously from "Dai Kaioh" but they pronounced it 'day').

I think.

They did it in Buu's Fury too.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Episode this week was fine. Elder Kaioshin's 'death' was pretty funny and there weren't too many tracks that I felt were grossly out of place. In fact, bar a few guitar-heavy tracks, the dark orchestral pieces were quite nice in the first five minutes.

Also, this scene is quite nicely composed in 16:9:

We get Vegetto next week, and I get to see the cel I own in action, too!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 am

I'm happy they kept Goku's fight with Super Buu and Goku&Vegeta's fight before they fused.

Hopefully they don't keep the hell and inside Buu filler though.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 am

Great episode this week. Looking forward to Vegito next week. I'm with sintzu, please don't keep the awful inside Buu and hell rubbish.
I don't think they will, as they need to cut just over 8 episodes out, and apart from those scenes, I can't think what more they can cut, there isn't too much filler left except the otherworld scenes with Yamcha and co.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:17 am

Surprisingly nice episode, I have to admit. The track used when Elder Kaioshin "died" was actually on-spot.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:38 am

If they do cut the Innards of Buu, then I hope it is at least included in the International version, I actually really like it lol

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 am

Very nice episode. Pacing was nice. Music was fine in my opinion. And voice acting was also solid. Now is it just me or is there barely any cropping at all? I have noticed this a couple of weeks ago but it seems to me that they just cut a little off the top and that there is a lot of image gained on the sides.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If they do cut the Innards of Buu, then I hope it is at least included in the International version, I actually really like it lol
With the exception of the first 14 episodes of International being cut to 7 for Japanese, unless I'm mistaken they have been identical ever since. So i wouldnt count on it.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 am

ShaneisMC wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If they do cut the Innards of Buu, then I hope it is at least included in the International version, I actually really like it lol
With the exception of the first 14 episodes of International being cut to 7 for Japanese, unless I'm mistaken they have been identical ever since. So i wouldnt count on it.
There will be no difference between the two versions aside from the first 14 episodes being cut to 7.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Herms wrote:It's a minor thing, and I'm sure others have picked up on it, but it's hard not to notice the use of Dai-Kaioushin/"Grand Kaioshin" to refer to the old Kaioshin in the episode title. That is how Goku and Kibito refer to him when he gives his life to Goku, although it's a term introduced out of nowhere and never used to refer to Elder Kaioshin again. And then of course a little while later we get the explanation of how Boo took out four of the five Kaioshins that were around back in the day, at which point "Grand Kaioshin" is re-used as the title for the big fat leader of the Kaioshin who Boo absorbs. I guess I don't have a point, other than that it's interesting how the episode title is drawing attention to this odd detail from the series' history, where the term "Grand Kaioshin" gets first used in a way that's seemingly completely different than how it's later used.
That was odd in the Funi dub too. They just called the fat guy "Daykaioh" (obviously from "Dai Kaioh" but they pronounced it 'day').

I think.

They did it in Buu's Fury too.
Nah, the dub used DaiKaioh as "Die-Kai-oh" for Grand Supreme Kai. I -think- thats the correct prononciation.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:10 pm

So this episode made me think, why didn't Gohan zenkai after getting healed by Dende? Worked for Vegeta.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:45 pm

LuckyCat wrote:So this episode made me think, why didn't Gohan zenkai after getting healed by Dende? Worked for Vegeta.
I'm sure it did but Buu was on a whole different level then him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Didn't one of the guide books say that zenkais stopped mattering after a certain because everyone got too powerful for there to be a noticeable gain?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:26 pm

I dislike how they keep using that triumphant track played at the end for tense scenes. It sounds neutral at the beginning, but the triumphant part after that always clashes with the situation. This time it was like telling us "Behold, our Goku is coming!" and Buu's blast was almost ignored. It also lessened the drama of Goku's sudden return.

The music placements in Kai have always been suffering this kind of dogma; "I make this scene more badass cause we already know what's gonna happen and I don't care what the characters in the situation or people new to the show would feel." They should not clap in such fanwanking kind of subjective view to official productions.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:45 pm

kei17 wrote:I dislike how they keep using that triumphant track played at the end for tense scenes. It sounds neutral at the beginning, but the triumphant part after that always clashes with the situation.
Absolutely! i said this back when they used it when Boo first comes out of his shell. It's meant to be this big dramatic moment, and yet they've got this heroic music playing like it's the greatest thing ever. I even had people trying to tell me it wasn't triumphant. Makes zero sense.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:18 am

Sigh to me at least its one of the slightly better done kai episodes sure the yamamoto episodes had their problems but you can't deny that it had a lot of good and decent placements whereas the sumitomo score has more bad placements than good even if they use some of sumitomo's more epic pieces
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 am

Daisetsu wrote:Didn't one of the guide books say that zenkais stopped mattering after a certain because everyone got too powerful for there to be a noticeable gain?
I read something similar, but that doesn't explain Cell's zenkai. After doing a little research, I think what confused me is an anime only line (in Kai and Z) where Gohan says he feels stronger after getting healed by Kibito. So I guess their existence in later sagas is debateable. :D

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 am

LuckyCat wrote:So this episode made me think, why didn't Gohan zenkai after getting healed by Dende? Worked for Vegeta.
Because Zenkai's became minimal to nothing after Super Saiyan. Only Cell got one notable one, but for everyone else it's barely there.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!