Kai Episode 147 (05 April 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 147 (05 April 2015)

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Can anyone tell if the new ED is cut from the manga, the anime, or original artwork? Some of the scenes look exactly the same as I remember from the anime except for the faces, so I'm a little confused. :D

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 pm

NitroEX wrote:I'm surprised no one seems to have taken notice of Uub appearing in the foreground towards the end of the new credits sequence.
I noticed it right away. lol

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Rukura wrote:The unnecessary filler in there is awkward, considering this is Kai.
The fights in the manga are to short so the filler in this case is necessary.
So it was necessary for the entire first half of the last episode to be filler?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Rukura wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Rukura wrote:The unnecessary filler in there is awkward, considering this is Kai.
So it was necessary for the entire first half of the last episode to be filler?
I see what sintzu means here, and I kind of agree. The Buu Sagas' pacing in the manga is totally different to the previous Arcs in Z, so some padding here and there is needed when adapting into anime.

The jarring filler has been removed for the most part, and that's enough for me to be able to enjoy "The Final Chapters", and regard it as enough of an improvement over the original Z.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:45 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:I see what sintzu means here, and I kind of agree. The Buu Sagas' pacing in the manga is totally different to the previous Arcs in Z, so some padding here and there is needed when adapting into anime.

The jarring filler has been removed for the most part, and that's enough for me to be able to enjoy "The Final Chapters", and regard it as enough of an improvement over the original Z.
Except The Final Chapters have even more filler, making it even less Kai. But that's a whole other can of worms. The Buu arc takes place in a very short period of time, of course stuff's quicker.
The thing with Vegetto in the manga is that it's two chapters, he's in and out. It would've been easily made into a single, packed episode, with some padding to not make it too jarring since it wasn't animated from the ground up that way.

I'm finding it very weird that people seem to have enjoyed how the first Kai cut out so much of the filler and, yet, now that a lot of filler is being kept (and a manga scene was cut), people seem to be enjoying this less popular arc being stretched out. What am I missing here?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Rukura wrote:
I'm finding it very weird that people seem to have enjoyed how the first Kai cut out so much of the filler and, yet, now that a lot of filler is being kept people seem to be enjoying this less popular arc being stretched out. What am I missing here?
The filler that was cut in the 1st Kai is the same as what's being cut here,filler that slows down the pacing of the story and contradicts it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:41 pm

-About the new ending-
Its always cool to have a recap about Goku life, but have two endings in a row?! I don't think so.
I love the Galaxy one and this is one, if it is the last one, its perfect. But I wished they didn't come one after another.

Despite that, I love the idea about recaping his Tenkaichi Budokai fights. Goku came a long way!
First time he was student, now he would become a master.

It was great to see Goku EOZ, Its the first time we see it with nowadays animation and Uub foreshadowing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Rukura wrote:I'm finding it very weird that people seem to have enjoyed how the first Kai cut out so much of the filler and, yet, now that a lot of filler is being kept (and a manga scene was cut), people seem to be enjoying this less popular arc being stretched out. What am I missing here?
Those who enjoyed the first Kai cut have already given up this huge pile of mess and it's just some optimistic or greatly tolerant people who are enjoying it.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:07 pm

kei17 wrote:
Rukura wrote:I'm finding it very weird that people seem to have enjoyed how the first Kai cut out so much of the filler and, yet, now that a lot of filler is being kept (and a manga scene was cut), people seem to be enjoying this less popular arc being stretched out. What am I missing here?
Those who enjoyed the first Kai cut have already given up this huge pile of mess and it's just some optimistic or greatly tolerant people who are enjoying it.
Well, it's always fun to watch Dragon Ball...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:09 am

kei17 wrote:
Or those in my case who are simply looking forward to a superior English dub.

Even then, the original Buu dub was mostly halfway decent, and with the Kikuchi score, does somewhat fit with the first half of Kai in that regard, but there's still too much that bothers me in the old dub, mostly in terms of the simply passable acting and scripts, neither of which compare to the first Kai's dub.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:56 pm

No they're not. The Vegetto fight was short because its only purpose was for Vegetto to piss Buu off enough to absorb him. The fight didn't necessitate two whole episodes to itself; if Toei had done it right it could've easily been half an episode.
The Buu Sagas' pacing in the manga is totally different to the previous Arcs in Z
I've seen this argument before and could I just ask how? I've read the manga dozens of time and there's no different between Buu and the rest aside from the average Buu chapter being 12-13 pages instead of the usual 14. (In fact the Cell arc is actually longer than the Buu arc in page count)
The jarring filler has been removed for the most part,
All filler is jarring, all of it.
The filler that was cut in the 1st Kai is the same as what's being cut here,filler that slows down the pacing of the story and contradicts it.
All filler slows down the story and is contradictory in some form or another. If Toei weren't such lazy hacks and had re-animated DB from scratch and from the beginning, it could've been a hell of a lot shorter than it is now. What I'd give for a Dragon Ball anime competently animated with pacing roughly the same as FMA 2009 or InuYasha the FInal Act.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 am

The Buu Sagas' pacing in the manga is totally different to the previous Arcs in Z
I've seen this argument before and could I just ask how? I've read the manga dozens of time and there's no different between Buu and the rest aside from the average Buu chapter being 12-13 pages instead of the usual 14. (In fact the Cell arc is actually longer than the Buu arc in page count)
Well, on those 12-13 pages, more stuff usually happens in the Buu arc.
The jarring filler has been removed for the most part,
All filler is jarring, all of it.
Well, no. That`s not a fact.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:03 pm

songohan619 wrote:Well, on those 12-13 pages, more stuff usually happens in the Buu arc.
I'd say an average Buu arc chapters has roughly the same amount of stuff happening as a chapter from any other arc of the series. I'm just not seeing it.
It's over-glorified fan-fiction lazily shoved into an already completed story with no regards to pacing or the occurrence of future plotholes/inconsistencies. How is it not jarring?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:15 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
It's over-glorified fan-fiction lazily shoved into an already completed story with no regards to pacing or the occurrence of future plotholes/inconsistencies. How is it not jarring?
The story wasn't completed. That's why they needed filler.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The story wasn't completed. That's why they needed filler.
Toei, and all of Japanese anime really, should just learn what seasons/series are and start doing that instead of forcing themselves to crank the damn thing out year-round constantly trying to stretch a 14-18 manga chapter that's mostly action into a 20 minute episode. Is there some law in Japan saying anime has to to be cranked out year-round? Because this crap has been going on since the days of Mighty Atom and Jungle Emperor Leo.

Anyways, when an arc of the manga was completed, it was a whole story that didn't need anything more added to it.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
Toei, and all of Japanese anime really, should just learn what seasons/series are and start doing that instead of forcing themselves to crank the damn thing out year-round constantly trying to stretch a 14-18 manga chapter that's mostly action into a 20 minute episode. Is there some law in Japan saying anime has to to be cranked out year-round? Because this crap has been going on since the days of Mighty Atom and Jungle Emperor Leo.

Anyways, when an arc of the manga was completed, it was a whole story that didn't need anything more added to it.
I heard that they lose their time slot on TV if they stop showing new episodes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:

Late night series aimed at Otaku do one or two cours followed by breaks. Still, year-long isn't necessarily bad. Naruto and Bleach made great use of that with their original storylines.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:Late night series aimed at Otaku do one or two cours followed by breaks. Still, year-long isn't necessarily bad. Naruto and Bleach made great use of that with their original storylines.
Year-long isn't necessarily bad, but having said "original storylines" sometimes much better animated than the series proper isn't exactly what I'd call great use. Personally, I feel like putting a year-long series to good use would be using that extra runtime to flesh out the content that's being adapted and expand on it, whenever possible.

I, for one, am more of a fan of the approach taken with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Kuroko no Basket.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:10 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Can anyone tell if the new ED is cut from the manga, the anime, or original artwork? Some of the scenes look exactly the same as I remember from the anime except for the faces, so I'm a little confused. :D
It looks like a re-rendering of memorable shots in the manga. Yamammuro style. I actually really like this ending.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed the last episode. I've stopped watching Buu Arc Kai and then picked it back up around where Gohan fought Buu. Didn't care for Gohan, but I liked how they're handling the Vegito fight. Looks like we won't be getting that Innards of Buu filler... thank God.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92