Kai Episode 149 (19 April 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 149 (19 April 2015)

Post by RazorX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 149, aired 19 April 2015

体内から緊急脱出!ブウ最悪への逆変身!!
Tainai Kara Kinkyū Dasshutsu! Bū Saiaku e no Gyaku-Henshin!!
Emergency Escape from Inside the Body! Buu's Reverse-Transformation is the Worst!!

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 149 (19 April 2015)

Post by RazorX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Interesting use of the B.O.G track near the end of the episode. As good as that track is, at this point I wish they would start using some of the more 'epic choir' pieces from Battle of Gods, they would fit well with the Goku vs Kid Buu fight.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Good episode, right content was left in, made more sense to leave the filler in for this one. Finished pretty much right at the start of "Z" 277, so with the most part of 15 episodes of "Z" left, and 11 of Kai, still 4 episodes worth to go.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:37 pm

I so like Z #276's art style (latter two thirds of this episode of Kai). I can't wait to see what in F they got him to do.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Which BoG track was the one that played?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:13 pm

The used "The chosen Warriors". :thumbup:
Great episode by the way, except that track they used when Goku & Vegeta have been delivered from Buu's body...it's misplaced to me.But hey, I should stop complain, the could use Disco Ball Z instead xD

Here's the next episode preview : https://youtu.be/njX9WKZ4HFs

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:18 pm

I hope they keep Super Saiyan 2 Kakarot vs Buu. The best filler fight ever. 8)

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Track 29- Chosen Warriors

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:21 pm

It seems that they keep using the same small handful of BoG tracks, they haven't even touched some of the more epic 'choir' tracks. I expected them to start using them during the Super Buu fight....or Vegito fight at the latest.

They have at their disposal some amazing battle tracks from DBZ Battle of Gods, produced on a high budget... yet they keep using the same small amount of tracks episode by episode (Kai ost tracks; the BoG ones are thrown in every so often and normally work really well when they do)

It's frustrating, and some of the overused used Kai tracks are getting boring now, they don't make use of the other library of Kai tracks.

And that synth piece when Goku and Vegeta escape from Buu's body? Terribly placed.

There's a track called 'Goku' in the official Kai Buu ost release. It's an extremely well composed, uplifting orchestral piece that sounds like it was produced at BoG level (high production values) and the person responsible for arranging the music in Buu saga Kai hasn't even touched it; not even once (apart from using it to replace a piece for the JPN version very early on)

THAT piece would've fit Goku's return to the tournament like a glove (maybe that's why Sumitomo called the piece...Goku)

The music arranger is either incompetent or restricted.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm

RazorX wrote:The music arranger is either incompetent or restricted.
That's a very interesting question, and it could be the case.There's no way to know who's in charge of a particular episode since the beginning of the Majin Buu saga (it's just written "Audio director : Satoshi Motoyama & Yukio Nagasaki" in the closing credits) but, just remember how the music was repetitive in the Saiyan saga.At that time, Yamamoto had already "composed" :lol: about 50 pieces of music at that time if I remember correctly, and Yukio Nagasaki was the only one in charge of music placements for the firsts 98 episodes.

Restrictions, or lack of talent ? I would say both.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:13 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
RazorX wrote:The music arranger is either incompetent or restricted.
That's a very interesting question, and it could be the case.There's no way to know who's in charge of a particular episode since the beginning of the Majin Buu saga (it's just written "Audio director : Satoshi Motoyama & Yukio Nagasaki" in the closing credits) but, just remember how the music was repetitive in the Saiyan saga.At that time, Yamamoto had already "composed" :lol: about 50 pieces of music at that time if I remember correctly, and Yukio Nagasaki was the only one in charge of music placements for the firsts 98 episodes.

Restrictions, or lack of talent ? I would say both.
It probably is both :lol:

I think it was mentioned that Satoshi Motoyama is on a junior level to Yukio Nagasaki.

True some of the Kai phase 1 placements were repetitive early on, but early episodes can be forgiven, we're nearing the end of the Buu saga and these last few episodes have had continuous repetitive music. But my biggest issue is that they have access to the entire Battle of Gods library and they repeat the same, very small selection of BoG tracks whenever they choose to use tracks from BoG's library. They need to use more BoG tracks

Example: BoG track 34- Mortal Combat with a God is an epic, high stakes choir battle track that would've went perfectly with some of the Super Buu fights....yet it is notably absent from their BoG selection.

I hope they were saving those sorts of tracks for the Kid Buu fight...if not...then that is monumental incompetence from the music arrangers (assuming they are allowed to use those tracks and are not restricted in a JASRAC style way as it was with Kikuchi Kai tracks)

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:57 pm

I hope that you are complaining about Goku's Super Saiyan 3 Theme they used and not about the Great Saiyaman's one. That epic track was the most unfitting one in this episode.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 am

It seems from preview, they unfortunately keep Buu origins filler, with contradicts with what was already estabilished (Majin Buu was summoned by Bibbidi, not created)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 am

This episode covered the rest of chapter 507 and the beginning of 508. 11 pages in all, which is pretty ridiculous. It's pretty clear that they're letting it stretch out to make the schedule, but at the cost of keeping some little integrity.

That first track after the opening was very weird. It was weird by itself but, at first, it was so overpowered by the voices and sound effects that I couldn't even hear it properly.
Soundtrack and said soundtrack's placement's still a mess, even if one or two instances happen to line up okay.
coola wrote:It seems from preview, they unfortunately keep Buu origins filler, with contradicts with what was already estabilished (Majin Buu was summoned by Bibbidi, not created)
Is that the Kaioshin explanation to the old Kaioshin? Because that's a page that was supposed to be covered this episode, can't remember if it came after this, in the anime.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:30 am

Wow, that last track was horribly misplaced. Kōzō Shioya has lost his touch as Boo, too. That transformation wasn't great.

I am so glad this is nearly over. What a mess this whole thing has been.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:48 am

Rukura wrote:This episode covered the rest of chapter 507 and the beginning of 508. 11 pages in all, which is pretty ridiculous. It's pretty clear that they're letting it stretch out to make the schedule, but at the cost of keeping some little integrity.
Yeah, the material in the manga for the first half of this episode was short and sweet. Buu threatens them, then Vegeta decides to pull out Fat Buu. Here however, we get a very pointless fight and search for an exit (Hello, Instant Transmission Goku?)

A better way to cover this episode would've been to put Kaioshin's exposition about Buu's past in so at least the audience knows there's real danger from this new Buu.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:42 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Rukura wrote:This episode covered the rest of chapter 507 and the beginning of 508. 11 pages in all, which is pretty ridiculous. It's pretty clear that they're letting it stretch out to make the schedule, but at the cost of keeping some little integrity.
Yeah, the material in the manga for the first half of this episode was short and sweet. Buu threatens them, then Vegeta decides to pull out Fat Buu. Here however, we get a very pointless fight and search for an exit (Hello, Instant Transmission Goku?)
Which carries over from the last episode, no less.
LuckyCat wrote:A better way to cover this episode would've been to put Kaioshin's exposition about Buu's past in so at least the audience knows there's real danger from this new Buu.
Which was actually supposed to happen, had they been editing Kai closely to the manga instead of keeping so much filler.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:18 pm

coola wrote:It seems from preview, they unfortunately keep Buu origins filler, with contradicts with what was already estabilished (Majin Buu was summoned by Bibbidi, not created)
He's said to have been created by Bibidi at many points throughout the manga, including Kaioshin's explanation of his origin right before the final battle. The only thing filler adds to his origin is showing him cruise around with Bibidi blowing up planets, and his fight with the Kaioshins. Toriyama didn't come out with the "Boo was actually summoned by Bibidi" thing until an interview last year; it's not something mentioned in the manga at all. It'd be pretty bizarre for Kai to try and adapt things to fit Boo's new origin, since Kai is (theoretically) supposed to make a version of the anime that's closer to the manga, rather than a version of the anime that's closer to the new information Toriyama has come up with since the manga's end.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:38 pm

LuckyCat wrote:

A better way to cover this episode would've been to put Kaioshin's exposition about Buu's past in so at least the audience knows there's real danger from this new Buu.
As someone who's never seen this part of the series in Z, I thought the filler in this episode was actually pretty fun (last episode's filler was bleh, though). I don't mind it being kept.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!