Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 am

Didn't watch the episode, but hooray! I remember six years ago, being hyped by Kai's first episode. Later turned down by horrible reanimated scenes, but kind of enjoying the Yamamoto score.
After the scandal and ending the Kai with Cell and lot of internet sheeps going ''this is where it was supposed to end'', Kai died for me completely.

I watched few episodes from the Buu arc, but I seriously don't like Sumitomo's music, the openings and endings and more so, the Buu arc was just like re-cut of Z with no major changes (Colouring the Vegeta's armor in Saiyan arc before coming to Earth was a nice touch).
Dragon Ball Z is still the superb and major means for me to watch the manga adaptation. Only thing that makes me uncomfortable is missing the proper ending from manga (which Toriyama later updated) because of GT.
Kai had a chance in this regard and simply blew it.
Can't wait for Super!

Dragon Ball Kai is for me the most useless and uninteresting thing that happened in Dragon Ball franchise. A cursed series with which one talented arranger ruined his career spanning two decades, lol.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:00 am

So they didn't use Mr. Satan's theme at all in this series. I wish the music placement was better but it's fine. At least, it was way better than the old repetitive Kikuchi music we had in the previous arcs.

DragonBall Kai is just DragonBall Z so I can't help but love it and it's really awesome that DragonBall Z still keeps going strong even in 2015.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:21 am

What were the final two tracks from this episode? They were really great, topped any other bgm I've heard from the finale of DBZ across all the dubs.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:43 am

The very last track is called Goku on the International OST. The one before that has the fan-called name Good always wins if I remember correctly. It first played when Buu was defeated.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this episode, and I'm still kinda sad to see Kai go. Yes Kai had it's good things and bad things, like every other anime/movie/show, but I enjoyed the ride. To me it still is the best way to watch DBZ, but that's just my opinion. Anyways on to Dragon Ball Super.

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:The very last track is called Goku on the International OST. The one before that has the fan-called name Good always wins if I remember correctly. It first played when Buu was defeated.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this episode, and I'm still kinda sad to see Kai go. Yes Kai had it's good things and bad things, like every other anime/movie/show, but I enjoyed the ride. To me it still is the best way to watch DBZ, but that's just my opinion. Anyways on to Dragon Ball Super.
Many thanks, still wondering if the music from this Kai will be used in Super, some of it is great. Hopefully they release the second soundtrack in Europe too, it makes sense!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 am

Kai ended with a very Disney feel to it. Especially when Goku blasts off with Oob

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:The very last track is called Goku on the International OST.
So, that's the track they use for that final scene?

I had a feeling that it was going to be used there.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:15 pm

I finally watched the episode. This is the first one I've watched since... Vegeta's sacrifice? I'm really not sure. But I adore the Goku / Uub fight and I didn't want to miss the series finale.

Dammit, I'm really enjoying Megumi Urawa reprising Uub. I don't want her to go away again! This is why I really hope Super eventually goes past the epilogue. I want more of this character and his voice actress!

Once again, and unsurprisingly, the music is the main flaw. Why is everything being played so seriously? Goku VS Uub is one of the only pure "feel good" fights in the series. There are no stakes. Everybody's cheering. Piccolo's smiling. Goku has a grin on his face the entire time. Give us a happy moment!

I still can't believe they (ONCE AGAIN) didn't let Jōji Yanami say the narrator's final lines from the manga. That would have made the whole show worth it! I'd have forgiven everything Kai had done if we could have gotten that last speech. Uhjfgjkvhjkyh.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

The Z version of the Uub fight had some serious music too. The final episode opened with the piece from Movie 13 where Hildegarn was forced out of Tapion, which is a relatively dark piece.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:The Z version of the Uub fight had some serious music too.
It does, indeed. In fact, most of the fight is quite intense in Z. I still stand by this track being absurdly dark for the fight, however. It's made even worse when this is literally what plays before it.

The whole fight just had this horrible mish mash of tones that ultimately ruined one of my favourite parts of the series.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:12 pm

And thus, Dragon Ball Kai ends. Next week, we go back in time because that's where the new sequel takes place. - Narrator
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dank Hill

Post by Dank Hill » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:41 pm

It's funny how I'll go to /r/dbz and people generally love Kai, but I'll come here and it's the opposite. Two different crowds, I s'pose.
That Goku's a pretty strong dude, I tell you what.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Dank Hill wrote:It's funny how I'll go to /r/dbz and people generally love Kai, but I'll come here and it's the opposite. Two different crowds, I s'pose.
Reddit is a website for a more general audience, folks don't go there specifically for Dragon Ball, it's just a thing they catch on the run. People to Kanzenshuu specifically for Dragon Ball.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 am

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing. Dragon Ball Kai definitely happened. There's no denying that little historical footnote. :lol:

Seriously, what an odd journey this has been. As a product, Dragon Ball Kai missed pretty much every mark imaginable when it comes to quality assurance. Haphazard music placement, shoddy reanimated scenes, questionably remastered footage -- the list goes on and on. Who would have thought we'd ever see a Dragon Ball product that features Funimation's dub as its best attribute? At least the show accomplished one impressive feat. It made Dragon Ball Z in English listenable.

Meanwhile, for Japanese fans, I supposed Dragon Ball Kai will forever be summed up perfectly by Majin Buu's "corrected" arm from Episode 130 -- a pointless, sloppy edit of Dragon Ball Z that illustrates utter ineptitude.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:11 pm

ParkerAL wrote:a pointless, sloppy edit of Dragon Ball Z that illustrates utter ineptitude.
I'd say an edit that actually makes Dragon Ball Z finally at least decent to watch nowadays, on the contrary of the original show. And that's all Kai ever pretended to do.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Darkblade1995 wrote:The one before that has the fan-called name Good always wins if I remember correctly.
I tried to rip the full version of this track if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrEEtMDAus
And that's the 3rd variation of Goku's theme. We heard the first one in the 1st episode of the Japanese Version of Buu Kai.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Darkblade1995 wrote:The one before that has the fan-called name Good always wins if I remember correctly.
I tried to rip the full version of this track if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrEEtMDAus
And that's the 3rd variation of Goku's theme. We heard the first one in the 1st episode of the Japanese Version of Buu Kai.
Still sounds so beautiful
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I just noticed that they didn't correct Ox-King's beard. They left it uncoloured.
Wait how did they miss that?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 am

It's finally over!

Well, Boo arc could have been much better if they had removed filler like they did in Saiyan-Cell arcs, but whatever. They cut 92 episodes into 61, which is great. The music is much better in DBZ, but I don't find the music in Kai awful, I believe it's just good. The video quality is better than DBZ's, and it's nice to have it in 16:9 (properly, not like FUNi did it), and even though there is this green tint in the image, DBZ has a red tint, so both are equally flawed in this one. As for the censorship, at least it happened only twice (right?). Also sucks that we didn't get the Kanzenban ending though.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.