Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Post by Asura » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:26 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:There is no distinct look to Dragon Ball.
That's not true whatsoever. Obviously every episode isn't going to look the same. Obviously every artist does not draw the same. However, they're all made with a reference in mind. The two images I posted are obviously not done by the same artist, yet they still convey Dragon Ball's distinct look. They don't look wildly different, they look like they belong in the same show. You said there's no distinct style to Z or Super yet even in that picture you posted with all the different artists you can very easily see that while each one looks different, most of them still look they belong together. But it's like one of those puzzle games where you pick out the picture that doesn't belong. Koji Nashizawa's looks like a completely different show. His Goku is not even remotely similar to the rest. Tsuji's also stands out as well due to his long drawn out face yet small facial features. It stands out a bit but it's not terrible compared to the others.

Shimanuki's work on Z looks absolutely nothing like it does in Super and while he's still done some nice work in Super he has many episodes where the characters just look like they do not belong, like it's an episode from some different, more moe-like anime with small faces and huge eyes. It's obvious to see that Z never had artwork that looked like this.
KameNinja45 wrote:You might not think his artwork fits with Dragon Ball, and that's fine, but plenty of people do.
And why should I care about what other people think? This is my opinion, I'm not trying to impress or persuade anyone.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 pm

KameNinja45 wrote:There is no distinct look to Dragon Ball. Look at the two pictures of Z that you posted, they don't look anything like each other. Super doesn't have a look either, it varies heavily depending on the episode.
For example, look at all the different ways in which the animators draw Goku.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Losing Shimanuki, the artist we're talking about, would be a major loss to the show. I personally don't see how the shots you posted are as horrendous as you claim they are, as I quite like them. You might not think his artwork fits with Dragon Ball, and that's fine, but plenty of people do.
Now, this is just my opinion, and I'm not sure if these are just poor shots from them, but the faces from Yuichi Karasawa and Miyako Tsuji look really bad. Most of the others do look pretty good to my admittedly untrained art-amateur eyes, though.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 am

Asura wrote:
KameNinja45 wrote:There is no distinct look to Dragon Ball.
That's not true whatsoever. Obviously every episode isn't going to look the same. Obviously every artist does not draw the same. However, they're all made with a reference in mind. The two images I posted are obviously not done by the same artist, yet they still convey Dragon Ball's distinct look. They don't look wildly different, they look like they belong in the same show. You said there's no distinct style to Z or Super yet even in that picture you posted with all the different artists you can very easily see that while each one looks different, most of them still look they belong together. But it's like one of those puzzle games where you pick out the picture that doesn't belong. Koji Nashizawa's looks like a completely different show. His Goku is not even remotely similar to the rest. Tsuji's also stands out as well due to his long drawn out face yet small facial features. It stands out a bit but it's not terrible compared to the others.

Shimanuki's work on Z looks absolutely nothing like it does in Super and while he's still done some nice work in Super he has many episodes where the characters just look like they do not belong, like it's an episode from some different, more moe-like anime with small faces and huge eyes. It's obvious to see that Z never had artwork that looked like this.
KameNinja45 wrote:You might not think his artwork fits with Dragon Ball, and that's fine, but plenty of people do.
And why should I care about what other people think? This is my opinion, I'm not trying to impress or persuade anyone.
What part of Dragonball doesn't have a distinct look is that hard to comprehend? Dragonball has loads of different official styles that there is no real concrete look.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Though Shimanuki isn't the animator he was, his art isn't vastly different now to what it was back then, basic common features can be found between both his present and past work.
[spoiler]Image
(Those last two are the same shot, just for reference)[/spoiler]
Thats not to say there hasn't been any differences, the most noteable is that his recent faces are slightly chubbier than his past work, but outside of that there is very little difference to how he approaches drawing the character. You can dislike his style, thats fine, but suggesting it's not DragonBall is almost laughable.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

Just had time to rewatch this again.

Whoever says Beerus is implying a more "pfff" praise towards Tien is really personalising this too far. Beerus clearly mentioned "impressive" on his lines without any form of disappointment, it was hands down respect, Tien started dipping down the void first, and made its efforts to not be disqualified empty handed.

I am liking the recent Beerus character changes, first his wish for his brother to have a proper kitchen, and now this, just amazing.

PS, i dont know if this qualifies as art or animation, but literary every main character in this episode suffered from astigmatism, who ever did them, clearly has a weakness for pupils.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:46 am

I didn't mind this episode, and had a few good moments. I think they could have improved Tien's scenes before his drop out though. Seemed somewhat wasted to see him just go like that. I don't really see how 106 was terrible like others think. Looked like about an average type episode.

I dunno, pacing didn't bug me. It was the least of my concerns. And pacing could have been far worse in my opinion.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Pretty bad episode honestly, especially considering they had some pretty good ideas but wasted them. Once again Goku (and Vegeta) interfering was totally unnecessary and made the fight way too easy. Could have had an interesting challenge for Piccolo Gohan and Tien. While it's awesome Tien spotted the sniper, after that he is pretty much wasted and doesn't get to show off any moves or have any impact on anything. Yeah he eliminated him.. but only to not make his death seem like a total waste even though it was. I never really liked or disliked Tien, but this entire episode should have been focused around him and his moves and maybe Gohan/Piccolo. Tien had a lot of interesting moves like Roshi but he never got a real episode for himself like Roshi did last time. In the end the snipers ended up being fodder even with a very strong ability it ultimately didn't matter at all.

I was expecting things to start getting a little serious this episode the way they portrayed it in the NEP last time as if the sniper was going to start taking a bunch of people out, when all it really did was take out some of Piccolo's endurance. It was good idea to have Piccolo's arms ripped off, but they made it almost pointless as if there was no reason he needed to take the hits. Would have been better if he saved a person or two by blocking the snipes, otherwise it just makes the sniper look even more useless.

This episode was literally called "Death Match, Find Him!" which implies there's going to be some sort of tension, but instead he is taken out incredibly easily and on top of that wasted an episode they could have focused a lot more on Tien and Gohan/Piccolo. Hell they could have actually focused on the sniper and have him take out some people or at least come close to taking ONE PERSON out.

3/10

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Sorry, but I do not see at all how those previous images of Z you linked done by the same artist look anything like that Super image of Vegeta. Maybe I'm blind, I'd like to think not, but those clearly do not look that similar, and even if they were somewhat similar there's no way in hell there's only "very little difference" between the two.

And once again saying DBZ has no "concrete look" is just a flat out lie. Every single anime has a concrete look. Character references exist for a reason.

Super has a concrete look and DBZ has a concrete look. If they didn't have a concrete look, then wouldn't we all agree Super looks basically the same as Z? Well no, we wouldn't agree on that because it's obvious it does not look exactly like Z because Super has its own concrete look about it. Every artist does things in their own style, but they try to keep to the character design references. If someone breaks too far away from those references as seen here, it no longer follows the concrete look of the other artists and the show as a whole.

I think you're twisting my words about a "concrete look" to mean that everything must look like it was drawn by the same artist with same proportions and etc. - that's not what I'm saying. Every single show has a unique concrete look, even when made by many different artists who don't all draw the characters exactly the same. They try to get them close to the reference as possible and even though person A's Goku won't look the same as person B's Goku, they'll look similar enough to the reference and when stacked up against the other artists to the point where it all blends to form a unique look for the show. But that doesn't mean every artist's rendition is going to be close to the reference or close to the other artist's, and when that happens it makes it look like an entirely different show since it deviates from the norm.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:54 am

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Sorry, but I do not see at all how those previous images of Z you linked done by the same artist look anything like that Super image of Vegeta. Maybe I'm blind, I'd like to think not, but those clearly do not look that similar, and even if they were somewhat similar there's no way in hell there's only "very little difference" between the two.

And once again saying DBZ has no "concrete look" is just a flat out lie. Every single anime has a concrete look. Character references exist for a reason.

Super has a concrete look and DBZ has a concrete look. If they didn't have a concrete look, then wouldn't we all agree Super looks basically the same as Z? Well no, we wouldn't agree on that because it's obvious it does not look exactly like Z because Super has its own concrete look about it. Every artist does things in their own style, but they try to keep to the character design references. If someone breaks too far away from those references as seen here, it no longer follows the concrete look of the other artists and the show as a whole.

I think you're twisting my words about a "concrete look" to mean that everything must look like it was drawn by the same artist with same proportions and etc. - that's not what I'm saying. Every single show has a unique concrete look, even when made by many different artists who don't all draw the characters exactly the same. They try to get them close to the reference as possible and even though person A's Goku won't look the same as person B's Goku, they'll look similar enough to the reference and when stacked up against the other artists to the point where it all blends to form a unique look for the show. But that doesn't mean every artist's rendition is going to be close to the reference or close to the other artist's, and when that happens it makes it look like an entirely different show since it deviates from the norm.
Is was making the argument from about Dragonball not having a concrete look, because part of your argument was that those drawings don't belong in Dragonball, which isn't true since Dragonball has many different looks across all installments of the franchise. I personally wouldn't say that a show has a concrete look, I would more lean towards saying all shows have a general style which gives space for different animation styles to come through.

Even considering your idea of a collective general appearance, the images I linked from this episode are not so far apart from the overall look of the show, espicially when compared to other supervisors. Shimanuki's style isn't far removed from the what his peers produce and still have a lot in common with the current character designs.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Comments on this episode:

- You know, they could have just written the seal characters on the pot in the Zamasu arc like Roshi did here and saved everyone a lot of trouble...
- Since the pillar in the center descending is what is supposed to mark the time in the tournament, it's awfully convenient that it hasn't been destroyed or severely damaged like the rest of the arena yet...
- Isn't the Makankosappo a killing technique? Using something like that in this tournament seems rather risky. I'm not sure how you can hold something like that back to avoid killing, other than just making it weak, which could easily backfire.
- I notice they're showing more of Piccolo's blood than they did in the RoF arc. Good, because that censorship was annoying.
- If they're tracking them by body heat, how were they able to hit that rock that Piccolo threw earlier? It wouldn't have internal heat.
- You know, they could still just aim for the heat sources that look like humanoid figures...
- Some of these musical themes seem familiar, like ones from DBZ games...
- That shooter guy reminds me of one of Bojack's henchmen
- Also is that thing on his wrist a weapon? Or something to channel his own ki through?
- I would think if they realized that ki attacks didn't work, their next resort would be to just punch him, not throw stuff at him
- So I'm guessing we're never going to find out why he's called Dr...

Kind of a boring episode as not much seemed to happen, but I'm glad to see Universes 6 and 7 have some more of their fighters eliminated, also it seems like Roshi might also get eliminated soon, going by the next episode preview.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JazzHands

Post by JazzHands » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 am

It seems like every episode that Tien was to have a major part was given to Toeis worse writers. I'm really looking forward to the manga now.

JazzHands

Post by JazzHands » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Anyone know where I can find who wrote this episode and other DBS episodes?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

JazzHands wrote:Anyone know where I can find who wrote this episode and other DBS episodes?
Right here.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 pm

It's been so long since the last time we had a break, that I forgot today there's no new episode :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 am

Noah wrote:It's been so long since the last time we had a break, that I forgot today there's no new episode :(
Somebody needs to maintain a thread for breaks and occasional double episodes..
It would be easier to keep track of them without spoiling yourself in the official thread..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 am

Noah wrote:It's been so long since the last time we had a break, that I forgot today there's no new episode :(
Never have i looked upon Sundays as of 2015. It was either a big ass sleep or an early wake up on the woods.
It's so depressive, it feels like I'm watching Twilight while listening to Backstreet Boys.

PS, don't forget:
17 September - Episode 107 (probably)
24 September - Episode 108 (probably)
1 October - One Piece special just Off week basically
8 October - DBS Special
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 am

Anyone else really missed it this week, waking uo Sunday morning and watching db, enjoying it, going on to kanzenshuu to hear everyone moan about it and suck some of that enjoyment, going to reddit, to see everyone moan, but at least its funny and overdramatic when they do it, checking the little updated rosters and stuff and then getting up and starting your day.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm

TobyS wrote:Anyone else really missed it this week, waking uo Sunday morning and watching db, enjoying it, going on to kanzenshuu to hear everyone moan about it and suck some of that enjoyment, going to reddit, to see everyone moan, but at least its funny and overdramatic when they do it, checking the little updated rosters and stuff and then getting up and starting your day.
Yeah, it's kind of become ritual for me. At least there was a new dub episode this week! The real bear is going to be the first week of October knowing the big special is right around the corner. The NEP at the end of 108 is probably going to be really hype just to rub the salt into the wound. :lol:

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:28 pm

So someone care to explain why Tien even deserves an entire episode dedicated to him? He's basically nothing, and I feel it would have been so much better if he just got knocked off the arena when Narirama was on his rampage.

Tien's game plan usually involves splitting off into weaker versions of himself. Yes, weaker, as absurd as it sounds he actually can get even weaker than he already is! :lol:

Looking scared any time his opponent gets near him, running away, and hoping to score some points with an attack that tends to sap him of what little power he had to begin. Only to find himself on the ground with his opponent laughing at him.

His fighting style seems similar to Piccolo these days. The way they throw around the word strategist, you would almost think that strategist means weakling.

He was too much of a coward to let Gohan continue sparring. What a pathetic excuse of a trained master. His students, who are also bottom-tier trash, would probably be so ashamed of him if they saw how he acted around his comrades.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:27 pm

supercat wrote:So someone care to explain why Tien even deserves an entire episode dedicated to him? He's basically nothing, and I feel it would have been so much better if he just got knocked off the arena when Narirama was on his rampage.

Tien's game plan usually involves splitting off into weaker versions of himself. Yes, weaker, as absurd as it sounds he actually can get even weaker than he already is! :lol:

Looking scared any time his opponent gets near him, running away, and hoping to score some points with an attack that tends to sap him of what little power he had to begin. Only to find himself on the ground with his opponent laughing at him.

His fighting style seems similar to Piccolo these days. The way they throw around the word strategist, you would almost think that strategist means weakling.

He was too much of a coward to let Gohan continue sparring. What a pathetic excuse of a trained master. His students, who are also bottom-tier trash, would probably be so ashamed of him if they saw how he acted around his comrades.
Not an entire episode, just half of it. Kuririn and Kame got an entire episode for themselves, but Ten had to share his half of the episode with Goku and Vegeta.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Even half an entire episode is more than generous for someone like Tien. Luckily Goku and Vegeta had some of that spotlight. Although they really should have had a lot more.

Tien should have either gone down when Narirama went on his rampage or when Kale was powering up. He could have easily been one of the weaklings who flew off the arena when she powered up. The gust alone should have been able to send him off the arena while possibly destroying him in the process. It's disappointing to see other universes even having fighters as weak as Tien.