Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 pm

NOTE: Please be sure to have watched the episode with any necessary subtitles (see: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation). Don't just go off of some jerk's live tweets.

Kanzenshuu forum rules. Like them or loathe them, you can't live without them.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super episode 107, aired 17 September 2017

復習の「F」! しかけられた狡猾な罠!?
Fukushū no 'Efu'! Shikakerareta Kōkatsu na Wana!?
Revenge 'F'! A Cunning Trap is Set?!

Summary:
As the Tournament of Power continues, Frost recalls how he struck a deal with Champa to have his crimes absolved if Universe 6 won the tournament. At first Champa refused, since Frost had already humiliated him so much during the Universe 6/7 tournament, but he seemed to change his tune once Frost promised to ensure Universe 7’s defeat. Back in the present, for the sake of his revenge, and for the sake of his business, Frost must prove useful to Universe 6.

With many warriors now eliminated, the Great Priest helps the Omni-Kings take stock of the situation once more. Currently a total of 36 warriors remain: U2 has six left, U3 has seven, U4 has four, U6 and U7 both have eight (more than any of the other universes), while U11 has only three. Beerus notices that while U4 is supposed to have four warriors remaining, only two are visible in the arena (though Tenshinhan had faintly sensed the presence of the remaining two back when the tournament began). Whis notes that this could be trouble, since U4 is supposed to have many warriors with special abilities.

While U11 would seem to be at a disadvantage with only Jiren, Toppo, and Dyspo left, the U11 gods Vermoud and Kai aren’t worried: it’s quality, not quantity, that’s important! After all, those three are the strongest in their universe, and Jiren and Toppo have still sustained no real damage. Suddenly, the U11 warriors are sneak-attacked by U3’s Maji Kayo. With Maji Kayo’s unusual, liquid-like body, the U3 Kaioshin Ea is sure he’s the perfect fighter to send against Jiren to try and learn more about his strength.

Dyspo goes after Maji Kayo but seems to struggle, so Jiren steps in. This suits Maji Kayo and Ea’s plans just fine…except Jiren immediately knocks Maji Kayo out of the arena simply by pumping his fist, thus defeating him before he can gather any useful intel. Meanwhile, Frost goes after Muten Roshi, his strategy being to pick off weakened fighters. Goku tries to go to Roshi’s aid, but is stopped by Ribrianne, who still has a bone to pick with him. While Roshi still has some fight left in him, Frost soon gains the upper hand (complaining that it’s difficult for him to hold back enough to not kill his opponents).

Roshi counterattacks with another Mafuba, but unfortunately this time around he misses the jar, leaving Frost free. Frost is amazed that Roshi still had such a technique up his sleeve, and seeing Vegeta nearby, he gets an idea. He fires a volley of finger beams at Roshi, while also firing one off at Vegeta to get his attention. With Roshi’s defeat looking imminent, off on the sidelines Beerus tells Kuririn to get a Senzu ready to keep Roshi from dying. But before Frost can finish Roshi off, Vegeta swoops in and knocks him away. He’s not here to save Roshi though; it’s simply that Frost ticks him off.

Frost claims that he’s gotten weaker since the last tournament (due to always being on the run since then) and warns that another attack from Vegeta might kill him, but Vegeta sees through this attempt to stall for time. Soon thereafter though, Magetta comes crashing in, and proves impervious both to Super Saiyan Vegeta’s Big Bang Attack and his insults (he’s used magma to block up his ears). As Vegeta struggles against Frost and Magetta’s tag team, Frost emphasizes that “normal attacks” won’t work against Magetta, and Roshi takes the bait and decides that another Mafuba is in order.

Frost has been waiting for this though, and he deflects Roshi’s Mafuba over at Vegeta. While Roshi quickly breaks the jar he was going to seal Magetta in, Frost still has the jar Roshi tried to use against him, and he successfully seals Vegeta inside it. Not wanting Vegeta to lose on his account, Roshi uses the last of his strength to fire off a tiny ki blast to try and break the jar. He misses the first time around, but manages to guide the blast back, catching Frost off-guard and freeing Vegeta.

Now thoroughly angry, Vegeta goes Super Saiyan Blue and blasts off the gunk covering Magetta’s left ear, then insults him. Magetta collapses, but Frost disappears in a puff of smoke before Vegeta can deal with him. Vegeta pushes the now immobilized Magetta out of bounds, and turns his attention to Roshi, who he advises to bow out now and eat some Senzu before he dies. Roshi agrees and willingly drops out of the arena. Once teleported to the bleachers, Kuririn feeds him a Senzu and Beerus (after some customary insults) congratulates him on a job well done.

Elsewhere, Goku and Ribrianne prepare to face off. 30 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 107 (17 September 2017)

Post by nato25 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks for putting the forum for the episode up on time!!! I always cant wait for the discussion. Great recovery from last weeks average episode. They really did Roshi and his techniques justice and I was on the edge of my seat with the mafuba and vegeta. I thought he was legit gone.

It did annoy me that vegeta and roshi both fell to frosts tricks but i guess he is pretty cunning.

Nep looks good too. Damn it Freeza you idiot.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 pm

After 106, that one was certainly an improvement. We got a nice little summation of where each Universe were sitting for those in the cheap seats, the Maji Kayo v Pride Troopers sideshow was entertaining (Jiren's attack looked like One for All, which is appropriate I guess) and Frost was on form as a conniving bastard. Magetta was great too, especially when double-teaming Vegeta. He's easily the dark horse of universe 6 for me.

Only issues are that the Mafuba trap resolution felt anti-climactic compared to all the buildup it got, and this whole episode felt like an extended coda to get Roshi eliminated after his climactic performance in 105. Next episode looks really interesting.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Ep was great save for the glorified recap at the beginning and a very... quick and underwhelming end to maji kayo. bordering even on lame. Pretty much a glorified Terminator 2 reference.

Freeza is gonna go Metal Gear and make Frost think he really is gonna double cross universe 7 and is gonna end up fucking him over in the end.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Champa's house looks cool!

I'm relieved Vegeta's not out.

That mafuba bit was good.

Not much else to say either way honestly. I look forward to Gokû vs Ribrianne.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 pm

The episode was extremely well-directed and animated.

I somehow knew they'd do Roshi justice ever since the OP, since he seems to be one of Toriyama's favorite characters, and I was right. One of the best things about this arc. His character arc was great (and mirrors the one in the BoG arc with Beerus progressively gaining respect and culminating in treating him by his real name instead of a title) and his two episodes have been the best in the arc.

Seems like the tournament is turning a bit around.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Excellent episode as expected. I enjoyed everyone this episode. I got a chuckle out of Jiren once again one-shotting his opponent. At least this time he chose to help a teammate. Frost catching Veggie in the Mafuba, and Vegeta's moment with Roshi was great. Roshi was handled quite well in this saga. His character arc this saga was great. The NEP looks quite interesting. Toppo fights Cabba, Freeza fights Gohan and Frost might betray Freeza. If anyone shown in the preview gets eliminated I'm guessing Frost or Cabba.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Now people can stop with the stupid ending elimination speculation.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm

This was sooo good! Man, where has this episode been?!

The animation here totally took me off guard! It looked great! Lots of nice action cuts and I really enjoyed that fight against the T-1000 dude. Jiren blowing him away was all kinds of badassery. Not only was the animation great but the storyboarding and direction was wonderful! Lots of great looking shots throughout.

Music was on point. That new track that played was really good and fit with the moment perfectly. There was actual tension here! I was so afraid that either Roshi was going to get himself killed or Vegeta was going to get knocked out. I feel like Toei did that whole ending order thing on purpose just to make us think that Vegeta was going to get knocked out next here, only to have the following moment of Roshi freeing Vegeta being all the more badass. Great stuff!

There is so much to talk about. I love that little moment between Vegeta and Roshi at the end where Vegeta tells him it's about time he stops fighting and eats a Senzu Bean. I don't think we've ever seen these two characters interact, which is why the episode felt so fresh. I also loved Frost being an absolute piece of shit.

Fantastic episode. It had me on the edge of my seat. Best episode of the tournament so far and definitely one of Super's best. I'm gonna watch this one a few more times for sure. Somehow waiting an extra week for it was worth it.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Roshi hasn't been this good since he fought Tien.
There was a lot of legitimate tension there.
I Didn't expect Frost to pull a MaJunior.

Now that we're clear of a lot of fodder, I expect the episodes from now on to be this good, lol. I know that might be asking too much
:clap:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Someone scared me to death that Roshi & Vegeta were both eliminated at the end of this episode but I am relieved that Vegeta is around for at least another episode.

Yeah I would have gotten over it but I am much happier that he is not gone.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm

I almost got scared that Frost was gonna be eliminated. Was he really messing around about being weaker?

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:I almost got scared that Frost was gonna be eliminated. Was he really messing around about being weaker?
Yeah, he was trying to lure Vegeta into a false sense of security.
Feels over Reals.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Ayyyyyyyye. I thought it was an interesting parallel to Goku and Freeza when he said he's been thinking about his revenge since he humiliated him; Freeza said he thought of nothing but killing Goku in Hell when they were gonna go at it to see if he would stay on board.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Why couldn't Vegeta stay in that bottle for longer?

Roshi has gone now but done a lot better than Krillin and Tien did.

I expected Magetta to do a bit better but obviously has a weakness and Maji=Kayo had no chance when Jiren stepped forward. We now have 33 fighterd left so that shpuld mean only 1 fighter goes out next week.

Toppo vs Cabba next week should be an easy win for Toppo while Gohan should have no chance against Frost and Frieza together but Frost looks like he might turn on Frieza.

I see Gohan in the preview but no Piccolo so is he using the technique that Saonel and Pilina are using to hide for so long?

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm

There is no way Cabba will get eliminated next week. I just don't see it. I see him making it until the special next month.

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Holy cow, Jiren is literally One Punch Man! :D

Roshi really bitten Frost bait hook line and sinker.

Frost figured out how to counter Mafuba after one time.

Roshi finally goes down, but he had a good run. Also, we can put that silly Ending Elimination Theory to rest now.

Meanwhile Goku spent all this time comparing auras with Ribrianne, instead of transforming and going to help Roshi. Or you know, just teleporting there.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Jiren just did a One For All or in DB terms, his "Greymaker" attack without contact.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Shlugo wrote:Holy cow, Jiren is literally One Punch Man! :D

Roshi really bitten Frost bait hook line and sinker.

Frost figured out how to counter Mafuba after one time.

Roshi finally goes down, but he had a good run. Also, we can put that silly Ending Elimination Theory to rest now.

Meanwhile Goku spent all this time comparing auras with Ribrianne, instead of transforming and going to help Roshi. Or you know, just teleporting there.
He might have seen vegeta was helping and left it to him I guess.

And yeah another great display of strength from Jiren. I haven't read any spoilers but guy looks intimidating as anything.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm

That episode was so so good. I got so happy when Badass Roshi saved Vegeta, and Vegeta kicked ass. Loved the interaction between Roshi and Vegeta too, we never got that in the entire DBZ. Animation was good too, but I'm guessing Frost goes bye bye next week when Freeza betrays him
Jiren was just Jiren as usual