Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: A good portion of the last few pages certainly suggest otherwise.

It might be that seeing it makes this stuff jump out at me more, and it's just my perception playing tricks on me, but my point still stands that it seems to be much more prevalent than it ought to be in this specific thread.
When the entire explanation for SSG's usage in-universe is that its effect is stronger than the Potara, a blatant contradiction is obviously going to have people raise their eyebrows. You don't ignore inconsistent plot points, you call it out.

I don't understand why the fact that it's somewhat related to power level discussions suddenly makes people angry.
Because people just don't want Dragon Ball Super criticized because it's something they enjoy. That's really all it comes down to. "I like this, please don't criticize it".
Maybe. Maybe. It might even be true and we don't realize it.

But it could also be that there's a time and place for everything, or that we have other threads dedicated to these specific topics, or that other threads have gotten locked down for continuing these kinds of derailments, or that the build up of perceived negativity from other people ruins the experience for other viewers without even factoring in the subjective/objective quality of the episode itself, or that people want to have discussion about stuff where people have stuff to add besides how much they hate the subject of discussion yet continue to "torture themselves by sticking it through". Or it could even be all of that combined. Might just be that as well.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Asura wrote:
Always nice to see hair that doesn't look like stiff legos. :D

I can't even remember the last time we saw good hair physics in Super before this episode, lol.

It makes me sad that Super will literally never look this good again unless Takahashi comes back for another episode.
Link to your avatar gif? I wants it!

Right click it and hit view image, should take you right to it in a full resolution version. :D

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Comments on this episode:

- Okay, here's the advance preview thing again. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
- Only the strong remain? Does that include the fodder characters still left from universes 2, 3, and 4?
- So I guess we're just completely disregarding how Vegeta admitted Goku was better than him and always would be...
- Oh come on, Toppo, you had time to block or dodge that...
- You know, it would be hilarious if the tournament ended with a big climactic fight between Goku and Jiren or whoever, and just when it seems like there's only one fighter standing after time runs out, Damom and Gamisaras reveal that they were hiding the whole time, and Universe 4 wins for having the most remaining fighters
- Wasn't Caulifla saying Goku was fighting dirty for using afterimages in the previous episode? Now look what she and Kale are doing...
- I'm surprised the Taiyo-ken hasn't seen more use in the tournament so far, actually
- So slamming into the wall hurt Caulifla... at least this supposedly super hard material is actually portrayed as super hard for once
- Um... because he didn't want to be hit? Obvious answer
- So has Dyspo tried his super speed attack against Freeza yet? Or could Freeza just predict it like Goku and Hit did, and like Freeza did against Jimeze's teleportation?
- Is this a Kamen Rider reference/homage now?
- A ki blast from the foot - we haven't seen that in a while
- Was Freeza actually going to shoot Goku in the back there?
- So that suit somehow doesn't qualify as a weapon? The rules on this seem very vague...
- If they really believed they were the strongest in all the universes, they'd be going after Daishinkan and the Zenos
- How did Caulifla predict where he was going to teleport to?
- He's always exceeded your expectations? Didn't you expect him to beat Cell?
- I have a feeling that Goku's SSJG here is still at its weakest level due to his exhaustion and injuries, like early in the BoG saga where he couldn't even touch Beerus despite gaining the form
- Goku's stance and attack here reminds me of his fight with Burter and Jeice
- Neat song for Kafla's introduction
- If potara fusion is allowed, how come Universe 6 is the only one that tried it? And how come they didn't give the earrings to Hit? He's their strongest fighter after all. Imagine if he fused with Kale or Botamo - Jiren would be in trouble.
- Freeza doesn't seem intimidated by Kafla's power... he can sense it, right?

Okay episode but not great though
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Comments on this episode:
- If potara fusion is allowed, how come Universe 6 is the only one that tried it? And how come they didn't give the earrings to Hit? He's their strongest fighter after all. Imagine if he fused with Kale or Botamo - Jiren would be in trouble.
Okay episode but not great though
Good point about none of the other universes thinking to do it ahead of time. Maybe they thought it would get them DQ'd and Champa was the only one dumb enough to try. We may find out next episode.

As for why they didn't do it with Hit: the main reason is he doesn't have ears so it would look weird. Fortunately, neither does Jiren so we won't have to fear the almighty advent of Jiroppo.

But actually Hit would be a terrible candidate for fusion. He's valuable enough as a solo player, and his abilities don't sync up well with anyone else. Like, what would happen if he fused with Kale? Combining a sneaky assassin with a rampaging berserker? The resulting warrior would be a mess, and you've traded off two individually useful fighters for a weirdo.

Kale and Caulifla, the second and third strongest on the team, are much better candidates to fuse. Same race, same sex, a history with each other, and similar fighting abilities. Theoretically, he could've given it to Saonel and Pirina as well, but then he'd be down to two fighters, which might be too big of a risk.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 am

Ok time to post my rant lol

I was very disappointed in this episode. OK, yes, the art and the animation were both very good, it was visually one of the best looking episodes ok ok... But seriously it was so empty. It's like a book with a beautiful cover but not so much substance inside. Why Toei why, you had something good since the last 10 episodes or so, from Roshi to 110 it was all great, I finally started to think 'Ok now things start to get serious it's going to be awesome' and blarg it went down again.

1) I know some like them but I really have a problem with Kale and Caulifla. They have NO backstory whatsoever so how can I care about them? If they want to focus on these characters couldn't we get Idk, just a small flashback or something? Just something for the love of Zeno lol
Not to mention the only stuff that this episode was talking about was some things we already learned 10 episodes before, so why repeat? Useless. If you want to make a fight only episode then do a fight only episode and no need to have them repeat countless times same thing 'ouh yes together we are the strongest of universe' I mean that was ok first 2-3 times, but how many times did they said that in the episode?`It's ok I got it!
Same thing for Broly again, yeah she ALREADY controlled 10 episodes back or so, why repeat? Really felt like they needed to fill up time on the air. Freaking tired of monolithinc characters in Super, if you want to introduce new things I'm all in but can you please make them interesting?

2) Potara fusion... What the fuck really. Usually in Dragon Ball when you have an item somewhat cheated there is also something that prevents to use it all the time, now who cares, let's use Potara whenever we want, not to mention narratively it tells us NOTHING, this is just bad fan-service to have a female fusion really... BS.
And yes like others already mentioned why would U6 be the only using them? Ew that pisses me off.

3) Freeza was awesome as always but why was he here? How did his apparition made things go forward? Again just feeling like they needed to fill the time on air.

Episode wasn't bad in itself but I am really disappointed as I really started to FINALLY enjoy a lot TOP and now we're back to the meh/not telling us anything episodes we had since beginning of the arc.

So many things went forgotten too, lilke, remember when TOP started Goku was representing a threat for other universes, they saw him as someone evil, this was INTERESTING, but now no one cares anymore, everyone is just laughing and having a great time. Ok it's in the spirit of Saiyajins to enjoy fighting but come on.

List could go on but I guess that would be main points.

4/10

Edit oh and yeah, Vegeta vs Toppo was so great sigh lol

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 am

Very exciting episodes so far. I was shocked that Goku only required a couple minutes to almost totally get his power back. And then that fusion of Kale and Caulifla... I did previously theorize in another thread that fusion could have been forbidden in this ToP so that's an interesting twist. Why didn't Goku and Vegeta do that too?

Solid stretch of episodes, I actually cannot come up with any complaints.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Darkangel025

Post by Darkangel025 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 am

Hello Everyone!

Recently I found an interesting article on the internet. Here is the link.
http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2 ... 37227.html
I think it is very interesting,because the Potara fusion is a powerful technique and tool.
It seem to me,the makers break their own tournament rules. :shock:
Maybe the cheating is allowed? :o
What do you think about this?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:49 am

Darkangel025 wrote:Hello Everyone!

Recently I found an interesting article on the internet. Here is the link.
http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2 ... 37227.html
I think it is very interesting,because the Potara fusion is a powerful technique and tool.
It seem to me,the makers break their own tournament rules. :shock:
Maybe the cheating is allowed? :o
What do you think about this?
Um, its legal for the same reasons the Mafuba container is legal. They aren't reall weapons, more just tools. This is espicially true in the case of the potara which literally have no offensive capabilities.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

Fun episode, i really enjoyed it. Especially seeing ssg again.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

Found this funny video, and thought it was pretty accurate :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4oaxkS9DQ

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 pm

mute_proxy wrote:Found this funny video, and thought it was pretty accurate :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4oaxkS9DQ
Seems more like a like what I like, or you're a whiner. No critical opinions allowed.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Just watched again and I gotta say I really like how they made that scene of Kefla powering up. The way the music slowys down as she calmly hmmms and then starts again as she powers up. Also her maniacal laugh in that double voice - it made her look really menacing.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I also just rewatched the episode and one thing I think that wasn't commented on(I don't know, I'm not going to check all the posts in the thread) was the fact, that Cabba seems to be the analog to Kibitoshin, when he wishes Goku and Vegeta to do well. The line is almost the same, the only differences are the names used of course.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 am

I like the way TOEI ended the episode. The still images of Kefla cheek punching Goku, with the music.