Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 116, aired 19 November 2017

逆転の兆し!身勝手の極意が大爆発!!
Gyakuten no Kizashi! Migatte no Goku'i ga Dai-Bakuhatsu!!
The Comeback Omen! Ultra Instinct's Huge Explosion!!

Summary:
Goku has regained the silver eyes and aura he had when fighting Jiren, and declares that Kafla now cannot defeat him. On the sidelines, Kuririn notes that Goku is giving off a tremendous amount of heat, and Whis explains that most likely Kafla has triggered him to once more reach Ultra Instinct. Her tremendous ki was on par with the power of the Genki-Dama, and must have caused him to break through another limiting shell.

Champa yells at Kafla to take Goku down before he can master Ultra Instinct, and while Kafla is impressed by Ultra Instinct’s heat, she still insists that she is No.1 and won’t lose. She powers up into Super Saiyan 2, creating a storm of ki that draws Piccolo and Gohan’s attention. Piccolo can see that Goku getting stronger likewise triggers Kalfa to power up even more, and vice-versa; the two are caught in a vicious cycle!

Kafla charges up a blast while Goku finishes poweing up, claiming that her power is enough to blow away an entire universe. But Goku manages to dodge her blast and subsequent punches and kicks, all while barely moving from his spot. From the bleachers, Champa is furious that Kafla should fare so poorly against Goku despite using the Potara, and even the U6 Kaioshin Fuwa finally snaps.

Watching the fight, Vegeta sees that Goku’s body seems to react all on its own. He suddenly remembers that Whis had told them the importance of doing this, in order to overcome the limits which conscious thought places upon one’s reaction time. Now this process is happening to Goku! Goku continues to dodge Kafla’s attacks, and knocks her away with a blast from his eyes, but she gets right back up: Goku’s movements may be great, but his attacks are weak by comparison! Indeed, Goku says that he’s still getting the hang of Ultra Instinct. Elsewhere, Jiren awakens from his meditation and rejoins Toppo and Dyspo; it seems that he doesn’t want to miss Goku’s fight.

Kafla vows to beat the snot out of Goku for sure this time, but Goku easily zips behind her and begins showering her with punches. After getting knocked around quite a bit by Goku, Kalfa still manages to get right back up again. Kuririn and Tenshinhan are amazed at her toughness, but Whis explains that while Kafla is indeed tough, the main problem is that Goku’s attacks are ineffective because he is apparently unable to maintain Ultra Instinct while attacking.

Whis thinks Goku had better finish this fight with his next attack, or else his stamina might not hold up. But Kafla says that the fight’s not over yet, and begins unleashing all of her remaining power in a series of laser-like blasts in all directions. Goku charges up a Kamehameha as he approaches Kafla while dodging her numerous blasts. Managing to slide over her final spiral blast in midair, Goku nails her with his Kamehameha at point-blank range, shattering her Potara and sending the defused Kale and Caulifla out of bounds.

The Great Priest formally announces Kale and Caulifla’s defeat, and in the bleachers Kale apologizes to Champa and Fuwa, while Caulifla yells at Goku that she’ll beat him someday. Now U6 has only two warriors remaining: the Namekians Saonel and Pirina, who vow to defeat U7. Meanwhile, Whis explains that Goku was correct in using the Kamehameha for his final blow, since he could charge it up while dodging unconsciously.

Still, Goku won’t be able to use the same trick forever, so to beat Jiren and co. he will have to learn how to attack unconsciously. Whis says this is tricky, since people always think about how best to attack, which is the reason Goku’s attacks earlier weren’t as effective. It remains to be seen if Goku will be able to master operating entirely by instinct in the tournament’s remaining time.

Toppo and Dyspo can tell that Goku has improved, and will continue to grow stronger. Out of stamina again, Goku reverts to his regular state and collapses. Watching from above, Freeza can see the toll Ultra Instinct takes on Goku’s body, but says Goku has got to keep on working for him. Vegeta meanwhile thinks that if Goku is capable of Ultra Instinct then he should be too, and vows that he will master it before him.

17 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 pm

RIP Kafla. The girls are gone, now the writers have no choice but finally give the Namekians some screentime.

Also, UI Kamehameha was superb :thumbup:

On a lesser note, I found the final scene to be quite silly:

When Goku was walking towards the arena center, multiple explosions were happening. At that point, we know that nobody from U4, U6, U7 and U11 wasn't fighting, and U2 will only start their attack next week. So where did the big explosions come from, I wonder?
Last edited by Xeogran on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

That Kamehameha was the coolest dodge I've seen.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 pm

I like how the girls were eliminated instead of Kafla herself. The defusion was a nice idea though that means you could beat Vegetto just by breaking his potara. Better he never appears again or fights a smart enemy.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 pm

That has got to be the coolest Kamehameha I've ever seen. I was expecting Goku to blast through Kafla's attack, but then he goes and uses the Kamehameha as a force to dodge over her attack and then blasts her. That was awesome.

Good episode. What stops it from being great were the constant cutaways, especially in the first half. Things definitely started to pick up in the second half. I wish they hadn't used Ultimate Battle in last weeks episode, because when they used it here it was waaay more exciting.

Don't know what to think about next weeks episode. I've been wanting to see some Android action for a while, but I just do not care about the Universe 2 contestants at all.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

RIP Kale and Caulifla. You put up a good fight and a good show.

Pretty good episode nonetheless.
Feels over Reals.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Cetra wrote:I like how the girls were eliminated instead of Kafla herself. The defusion was a nice idea though that means you could beat Vegetto just by breaking his potara. Better he never appears again or fights a smart enemy.
It’s dumb and the 2nd nerf for Potara and basically a plot hole.

Why no one used it against Merged Zamaru?

Why haven’t the Kais defused after their Potaras have been broken or be put off their ears?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Kishido wrote:
Cetra wrote:I like how the girls were eliminated instead of Kafla herself. The defusion was a nice idea though that means you could beat Vegetto just by breaking his potara. Better he never appears again or fights a smart enemy.

Why haven’t the Kais defused after their Potaras have been broken or be put off their ears?
Its not a plothole if it does not work for Eternal Fusions.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That has got to be the coolest Kamehameha I've ever seen. I was expecting Goku to blast through Kafla's attack, but then he goes and uses the Kamehameha as a force to dodge over her attack and then blasts her. That was awesome.

Good episode. What stops it from being great were the constant cutaways, especially in the first half. Things definitely started to pick up in the second half. I wish they hadn't used Ultimate Battle in last weeks episode, because when they used it here it was waaay more exciting.

Don't know what to think about next weeks episode. I've been wanting to see some Android action for a while, but I just do not care about the Universe 2 contestants at all.
Agree coolest kamehameha I've seen as well, beating the one instant transmission kamehameha from the cell games.

Man what a hype episode. Our first fused warrior to finally go ssj2! Loved the flashback to whis, finally a well used flashback.

Also loved learning how ultra instinct has two layers to it. Gives Goku something to aspire too, i assume he'll learn it this tournament but I really hope he doesnt. Would be awesome if it actually took a team effort to take our jiren.

Also vegeta vowing to learn ultra instinct, definitely yes.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Cetra wrote:
Kishido wrote:

Its not a plothole if it does not work for Eternal Fusions.
Merged Zamasu was non eternal fusiok cuz of Black.

And manga version had even a time limit... so why not simply breaking them

And what is the point of a second nerf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Ahhh Gokû was so cool this week!
It's that steam heat you guys. :mrgreen:

Agree there were too many cutaways.
I'm relieved that this was Caulifla and Kale's finale. It was a good finale for them I think. Very flashy.

Looking forward to seeing the androids next week though. I really like how 17's dialogue bounces off Ribrianne so I'm happy that fight gets to resume after all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Kishido wrote:
It’s dumb and the 2nd nerf for Potara and basica lly a plot hole.

I wouldn't think too much about the potara shattering here. I feel it was just an artistic choice to symbolise their defeat and have both characters sit on the bench. If it happened during the fight yeah id be concerned.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Kishido wrote: Merged Zamasu was non eternal fusiok cuz of Black.

And manga version had even a time limit... so why not simply breaking them

And what is the point of a second nerf
Yes, he was eternal. The Zamasus in the anime were Kaioushin. And it needs at least one Kaioushin for it to be an eternal fusion.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Damm what a great episode. UI Goku is so bad ass. 10/10. Action/animation. This arc is fantastic.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm

All that's left for universe six are those Namekians. The writers wouldn't have done it like that if they didn't have anything planned for them.

Epic kamehameha by Goku, at point blank range. Surprised that didn't do more than just knock them out.

Good episode. Good animation and music.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Kefla's final energy barrage looked so extremely over the top, reminds me of good ol' DBZ days. You could feel the intensity in the air!

Not sure what to make of the shattering potaras though, that was kinda bullshit.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 pm

That was one beautifully storyboarded episode especially that one cut of Goku fending off Kefla's attacks with the camera zooming in on Goku's hair swiftly evading the blasts.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

This must be what heaven feels like! Finally, the nightmare is over! Cauliflo is done and gone, and no more whining from kale. They overstayed their welcome and didn't deserve the attention they got from toei and the fans. Now lets rejoice and look forward to the next most anticipated elimination of fatbrianne. I'm truly the happiest person on planet earth right now.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Great episode. UI is awesome as hell and I never get tired of seeing badass Goku. Goku's dodge to the UI Kamehameha is my favorite Kamehameha in the franchise.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:50 pm

The result of the fight was expected but Kelfa did manage to touch Goku's hair because Goku was thinking. To get the best out Ultra Instinct you have to literally let your body control itself and hope it does the right thing. Ultra Instinct seems to be about both mental and physical abilities of the person using the form.

Vegeta vs Toppo along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina has been put on hold and these 2 fights will surely happen again.

All of Universe 2 are in action next episode and it looks like Ribrianne is going to get stronger and I think that 17 will end up stepping in and will fight her probably at his full power.