Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperHumanGod

Re: Super Episode 117 (26 November 2017)

Post by SuperHumanGod » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
SuperHumanGod wrote:
Asura wrote:Thank fucking god. Possibly the worst character ever created in the franchise, and finally eliminated.

The episode was fine for me, nothing great, and nothing too bad either. Even when Ribrianne transformed into her much prettier state, I hated her exactly the same. It just goes to show it's not a fat thing, it's just that she's a horrendous, horribly written character. Yes, I understand it's a gag about magical girls, I get it. It's like people forgot what execution means behind an idea though, because this execution was terrible. Almost every single sentence, every single one, had the word "love" in it, and she's obnoxious as hell as a result. None of her dialogue makes any sense, she might as well have been a robot from U3 that's stuck on repeat. It seems to me that people like the idea of a magical girl gag character, and ignore the actual execution as a result.

Truly this character could have been good even as a magical girl gag. It's very much possible had she actually been written well. Why did they even hype her up this much and give her this much screen time if she literally did NOTHING? For those who hated Kale and Caulifa, at least the scenes would pay off because they'd do something or eliminate someone, but Ribrianne, wow what a completely pointless character.

So in the NEP, I notice the last shot looks a lot like the shot of Piccolo getting killed by Nappa when he saved Gohan. Is this really going to be another "Piccolo saves Gohan" moment? Please TOEI, fucking enough already.

A breakdown in what way? Like they're pissed off that Ribrianne got eliminated?
I grew to like rib over the episodes. Now she is my least hated of the new female characters. A little bit of comedy goes far.

I also find it strange how you can hate rib and have a gif of kauli, who also gets a lot of hate and for good reason. She is a bland as all hell character simply there to have an op female saiyan.

And my sympathies to those who went on neogaf. the libtardation is strong there.
How is Caulifa bland? She's full of character. Not the most original character, mind you, but not boring either. Definitely nowhere near as annoying and cringe-inducing as Ribrianne. Terrible character. 2nd worst after Kale in this tournament, imo. Caulifa gets hate cause of her illogical power spikes, not so much the character herself.
I hated cauli because all i see is a random power-up character, worse I've seen in anime and it's a common trope. Rib was a spin on magical girls, all about love and her true form is ugly as hell. For me that's a bit interesting.
Jiren best new DBS character. Its done.
Fuck those awful U6 saiyans and their tingles too.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Asura wrote:Now to get back on topic with regards to the episode, just why did TOEI hype up Ribrianne this much if there wasn't going to be any pay off? Kale and Caulifla (and Kefla), as controversial as they were, had pay off. They had character development and progression. Caulifla grew to respect Goku and instead of thinking she was much greater than him, she acknowledges he's much better and wants him to teach her. Kale obviously went from a Broly clone to an actual character. Then they forced Goku to go UI and had possibly the most badass battle of the tournament outside of Goku vs Jiren. There was pay off.

So why so much focus on such a disliked character? Caulifla and Kale's focus actually made some people like them more whereas they disliked them before. With Brianne you've got that one line at the end of the episode where she says "Maybe there's different forms of love out there". That's it, that's the entire payoff and development of her character, all in one line. Why did they make such a big deal of her? Did they think her merchandise sales (if there even is any Ribrianne merchandise) would boom if they focused on her more?
This was probably lost in the sea of disagreements a page or two back, but I'd really like to know what other people thought the point was of TOEI spending so much time on a character that did absolutely nothing.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:10 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
gofishus wrote:I'm just going to be blunt with this: if you are fat in today's society and age, you are not going to be as well liked or respected as someone who is slim (everything else equal). Call it body shaming or whatever you want but unless its a genetic disorder or medical condition that prevents them from excercising, those people should take care of their bodies better.
Yea I don't find this much in Real Life at all. In my whole life it has been a rarity when people shame someone cause of their weight or put them down. It is just not a fact I see much or hear much about when in the real world.

I'm a Man and When it comes to women, size of a Lady has never been a determining factor for me on Attractiveness of a lady. A lady can be Skinny, Heavy, Medium, does not matter. A Woman is a Woman and weight has never taken away form their attractiveness to me or really most any other dude I have known in my whole life. Hench, why this hyper dislike of heavy ladies is only a problem online like everything else is Major Problem online these days but never a factor in Real Life. :roll:

So really no, I don't weight shaming rarely ever in Real Life or think one would preach it without getting put down.
That's fine that's your perspective. But most guys I know including myself prefer slim women.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Asura wrote:This was probably lost in the sea of disagreements a page or two back, but I'd really like to know what other people thought the point was of TOEI spending so much time on a character that did absolutely nothing.
I honestly don't think Toei wanted to spend time on Ribrianne. She was probably a character that Toriyama gave a lot of spotlight in his notes (because she seems to me like the kind of character that appeals to him) and Toei probably took the first opportunity to get her out of the tournament once they got done with the "checklist". All conjecture though, of course.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Asura wrote:
Asura wrote:Now to get back on topic with regards to the episode, just why did TOEI hype up Ribrianne this much if there wasn't going to be any pay off? Kale and Caulifla (and Kefla), as controversial as they were, had pay off. They had character development and progression. Caulifla grew to respect Goku and instead of thinking she was much greater than him, she acknowledges he's much better and wants him to teach her. Kale obviously went from a Broly clone to an actual character. Then they forced Goku to go UI and had possibly the most badass battle of the tournament outside of Goku vs Jiren. There was pay off.

So why so much focus on such a disliked character? Caulifla and Kale's focus actually made some people like them more whereas they disliked them before. With Brianne you've got that one line at the end of the episode where she says "Maybe there's different forms of love out there". That's it, that's the entire payoff and development of her character, all in one line. Why did they make such a big deal of her? Did they think her merchandise sales (if there even is any Ribrianne merchandise) would boom if they focused on her more?
This was probably lost in the sea of disagreements a page or two back, but I'd really like to know what other people thought the point was of TOEI spending so much time on a character that did absolutely nothing.
Cause ones term of nothing being developed or achieve is with while being respecting of the question and a honoring desire to answer it, it is subjective towards what one wants in the end.

I never thought how many eliminations you got where important. What matters is time spend with the character, to know more about them and seeing where they have to improve. Brianne statements of Love are honestly good ones, but the power of the kind of idol love can only go so far, it is a symptom of our society today that think much of fame as being an ultimate goal.

But still it is not a terrible ideal, it still included love of her friends and those she fought by, but still their is deeper and more truer love out their. We mainly dove into her basic ideals and what she desires to fight for. But like Caulifla and Kale's connection to Goku, Brianne developed a connection to 18 and Krillian threw this as well and I doubt this is the end of that anytime soon. I like to get more in the ToP but I doubt we have time, it will likely be a Form a Character Development for her that will be explored in the aftermath of the ToP, the slice of life episodes of the cool down in those aftermath episodes and likely in the next arc if Toei is going that route.

It is not something that needed 2-3 episodes to say either, short and sweet sometimes is enough to get the point across. It was done by the right amounts and at the right pacing and fans here have give praise to this moment of being a class act and taking it as a powerful moment of development.

To say she did nothing is a subjective overview, if that is your view that is your view, but others take what we saw and got a good ideal of where toei was getting at with Brianne's character out of this. It is not what I expect and wanted when episode 117 happen and I still feel some letdown and disappoint to degrees. But that is just one side of my opinion, I see the other side as this was clever writing in the ideals of a New Warrior needed to mature and discover even truer means of love and that can lead to interesting character developments and even more usage of characters like 18 and Krillian in the future to have important Roles like Goku and Vegeta will be with Caulifla, Kale and Cabba. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Asura wrote:This was probably lost in the sea of disagreements a page or two back, but I'd really like to know what other people thought the point was of TOEI spending so much time on a character that did absolutely nothing.
I think Ribrianne was basically Toriyama's new Mr Satan. A character that Toriyama gets a personal kick out of, and as a result, is given more time in the limelight than is truly warranted. Don't be surprised if she gets the same treatment in the manga.

At least she eliminated a fighter. I mean... that's something. Right? :shifty:

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I think Ribrianne was basically Toriyama's new Mr Satan. A character that Toriyama gets a personal kick out of, and as a result, is given more time in the limelight than is truly warranted. Don't be surprised if she gets the same treatment in the manga.

At least she eliminated a fighter. I mean... that's something. Right? :shifty:
Honestly while I don't think she is even close to Mr. Satan, we have to remember that even if a fraction of that is true one of the Major Good Things about Mr. Satan's character development was a slow burn overtime development of his character is a positive and more stronger and interacting route.

I feel that might be where Toei is Going with Brianne, her Friends and also the U6 Saiyans, slow burn development.
My #1 in DB!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Asura wrote:

Honestly, i think her only purpose was to represent caricature of a magical girl character, and that's all. I mean, this is a tournament with superhero like fighters so........

I don't mind that, i find it pretty hilarious, but honestly, after her last scene in this episode, i do hope that something more is done with Rib (besides making her a literal walking joke).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Asura wrote:
Asura wrote:Now to get back on topic with regards to the episode, just why did TOEI hype up Ribrianne this much if there wasn't going to be any pay off? ... So why so much focus on such a disliked character?
Here's the whole thing I dropped on the "Thoughts on Ribrianne?" thread. Just skip the first two paragraphs since they add nothing:
[spoiler]I hold the belief that any character can be good if properly executed, no matter if their premise is bad. For example, Black has been executed differently in the anime and manga, and most people appear to prefer his anime incarnation because he revels in beauty and retains his calm without losing it once, whereas his manga version takes flak for being a sore loser and for being straightforward. Conversely, I can see some liking Jiren in the manga more for showing more of his personality than in the anime.

The concept that Ribrianne was based on, the magical girl subgenre, is good because not only was it home to a whole universe in Dragon Ball, opening possibilities for an interesting adventure if the main cast ever went there, but it also gave Toei a chance to play with and subvert common aspects of magical girls, such as Ribrianne turning unattractive upon transformation instead of gorgeous.

The problem with Ribrianne is that there were not many (good) jokes relating to her to keep me invested in the character. After having fun with her at first, early signs of my exhaustion with her came after episode 102, when she kept appearing every episode despite doing nothing of worth other than repeating the same jokes and parroting the word "love". Then, she proceeded to distract Goku from more important events going on in the tournament while not giving very interesting battles in return, and turns out that what she wanted to wish to the Super Dragon Balls was selfish. Later on, she finally shows signs of self-doubt, which opened possibilities to expand the character and make her grow into a more formidable opponent, resulting in Rozie finally slapping some sense into her. Unfortunately, it just led to her going back to normal until her eventual defeat humbled her a bit, but it was too late at that point since she won't be appearing much anymore.

Despite being the main player of U2, she only eliminated one fodder character and wasn't a threat to U7. She still did better than Nigrisshi, but that isn't saying much. Even the saiyan girls accomplished more.

Edit: I've imagined if in episode 91, Brianne de Chateau would have been introduced and killed the two drag queens without transforming. People would have gained interest in her and made her their waifu instantly. Then she transforms in episode 102 for the first time, and everyone freaks out that she's the fat girl fighting SSJ Vegeta in the opening. Would have been the most disgusting plot twist ever.[/spoiler]
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Torturephile wrote:
Asura wrote:
Asura wrote:Now to get back on topic with regards to the episode, just why did TOEI hype up Ribrianne this much if there wasn't going to be any pay off? ... So why so much focus on such a disliked character?
Here's the whole thing I dropped on the "Thoughts on Ribrianne?" thread. Just skip the first two paragraphs since they add nothing:
[spoiler]I hold the belief that any character can be good if properly executed, no matter if their premise is bad. For example, Black has been executed differently in the anime and manga, and most people appear to prefer his anime incarnation because he revels in beauty and retains his calm without losing it once, whereas his manga version takes flak for being a sore loser and for being straightforward. Conversely, I can see some liking Jiren in the manga more for showing more of his personality than in the anime.

The concept that Ribrianne was based on, the magical girl subgenre, is good because not only was it home to a whole universe in Dragon Ball, opening possibilities for an interesting adventure if the main cast ever went there, but it also gave Toei a chance to play with and subvert common aspects of magical girls, such as Ribrianne turning unattractive upon transformation instead of gorgeous.

The problem with Ribrianne is that there were not many (good) jokes relating to her to keep me invested in the character. After having fun with her at first, early signs of my exhaustion with her came after episode 102, when she kept appearing every episode despite doing nothing of worth other than repeating the same jokes and parroting the word "love". Then, she proceeded to distract Goku from more important events going on in the tournament while not giving very interesting battles in return, and turns out that what she wanted to wish to the Super Dragon Balls was selfish. Later on, she finally shows signs of self-doubt, which opened possibilities to expand the character and make her grow into a more formidable opponent, resulting in Rozie finally slapping some sense into her. Unfortunately, it just led to her going back to normal until her eventual defeat humbled her a bit, but it was too late at that point since she won't be appearing much anymore.

Despite being the main player of U2, she only eliminated one fodder character and wasn't a threat to U7. She still did better than Nigrisshi, but that isn't saying much. Even the saiyan girls accomplished more.

Edit: I've imagined if in episode 91, Brianne de Chateau would have been introduced and killed the two drag queens without transforming. People would have gained interest in her and made her their waifu instantly. Then she transforms in episode 102 for the first time, and everyone freaks out that she's the fat girl fighting SSJ Vegeta in the opening. Would have been the most disgusting plot twist ever.[/spoiler]
I think just giving into some Fans reasons of beauty by keeping Brianne her normal form to make her more "likable" by those fans that said they don't like here Only cause of her looks tells the a good deal of the story of themselves. It shows how superficial they are about caring about character and fail in a ways to be good critics of her. Honestly, Brianne accomplishes that goal in calling out those fans by showing us those Fans put the ideal of looks above allot of things and it seems these fans would never like Brianne in her transformed state no matter what she did.

But getting to the more important points, Like I said already, while I am not 100% fan with Toei right now cause I feel they could easily gone further with Ribrianne to show she showed great power at the start and they could have powered her up to the levels she seem to be heading and deserved to head towards by the stories dialogue, but they decided not to and I am starting to guess that was the whole point.

Brianne, Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Sanka Ku and Su Roas where all eliminated much earlier then expected. I think toei told us they are not focused right now on making them the New Main dishes, but in introducing them as the New Generation with great power that still need to learn from the older generation, aka U7 and U11 to gain their level of power and wisdom.

This also bonds them to each other more, Caulifla and Kale to Goku to learn his power, Cabba to Vegeta to do the same and Brianne, Sanka Ku and Su Roas to 18 and Krillian to learn more about True Love. It work for both parties of all universes cause it make each more relevant and more likely to be used for more story in the future. :arrow: :idea:

The whole final moment for Brianne in 117 was not to late, but was played rather brilliantly by Toei at just the right moment.

It sets up Brianne to have a connect not only to Evolve her belief on love, which is still a good one she has now, but one towards a more Older and Experienced Truer Love gained from wisdom and companionship in life. It is Toei saying all these Newer Younger characters are good..........Just not yet, we are setting them up to form bonds and connections to our main cast to help train them to make them the new generation of fighters and expand from here going forward.

It is a very clever if this is Toei's intention, longer term ideals I think Toei might be going with this, but ones that I think focuses on the slow burn aspect of character development more then the instant gratification ones we thought we where getting. It is good for Brianne's character that if they Toei are serious about this and are going to go with this for the long-haul it will be an appreciated slow-burn story not fully loved now, but down the road more understood if done correctly.

Their is much to wait for, but I think this was a More Mature and Beautiful ending to Brianne's 1st opening character act to show her the need to be humble, evolve and become a better woman of love and by her own words she accepted it, accepted her wrongs and the facts where she went wrong.

IMO that is a Pretty BIG Thing for a Character to Do and Brianne is all the more better for it and I like to point that out to fans to see her that way after all this! :thumbup:

My #1 in DB!

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Comments on this episode:

- Okay, how does that suit not count as a weapon again? Could it be he's cybernetically linked to it so it's part of his body or something?
Somehow the entirety of U3 isn't considered a weapon. Paparoni's staff -_-, full-on robots, guys with battle armor with multiple offensive and defensive capabilities...

But it's neat, so it's fine.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 am

The problem with all of that is that we never even understood what Ribrianne (and Universe 2) thought love meant in the first place. What exactly do they think it means? It's hard for me to grasp and understand the character's development if we're never even given a clue of where she's coming from or what she's trying to say. Instead, we just get "love" in every single sentence which tells us nothing aside from the fact that Ribrianne should belong to U3 with how much she repeats herself over and over like a robot.

And again, I really don't think her looks are the reason why people dislike her. Sure, they don't help, but the problem with her character isn't that she's fat, it's that she's just a bad gag that repeats herself over and over and over again. Where is the character? What is the character? Who the hell is Brianne other than a broken record? What does she stand for? Obviously it's not the same "love" as every other universe (or at least U7) feels, so what does their version of love mean? We're never given an answer. Is it supposed to be about superficial beauty? Cause there are some butt ugly motherfuckers in U2. Also Brianne seemed to take somewhat of a romantic/tsundere interest at Jiren despite the fact that Jiren is as bald as Krillin is. As a matter of fact, there's a bunch of bald dudes in U2, so if Ribrianne is using baldy as an insult that must mean being bald isn't beautiful to them... so...?

I highly doubt that 18 would take on a mentor role to teach Brianne about love, that's just never going to happen. I don't think Brianne, Sanka Ku, and Su Roas are going to be part of the new generation given they're barely even characters to begin with (especially Sanka Ku and Su Roas). I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw them again given their entire existence is for a gag. Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale have character, they have focus, they have clear personalities, sensible and easily understandable motivations, and you can take them seriously whereas Ribrianne doesn't seem like she was a character ever meant to be taken seriously. We'll definitely be seeing more of Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale.

I don't think Brianne was played brilliantly by TOEI at all. The message they were trying to get across with her character is that she talks about love but doesn't know what love is. Great idea, horrible execution. If only they would explain what the fuck she's talking about instead of just spouting the word "love" at every opportunity, this character could have been mildly interesting. What does Ribrianne mean when she says she fights with/for the power of love?

Toppo is a character who always talks about justice, nowhere near as much as Ribrianne talks about love, but still quite a lot. We actually get to see what justice is to Toppo though, we get to see why he thinks Goku is evil compared to his justice. We literally see him doing good deeds in his universe and protecting people, that is his justice. It's very clearly understood what Toppo means. He talks about justice a lot, but it actually makes sense. There's real meaning behind his words. With Brianne, there is none of that. Just a broken record with no clarification, no backstory, no clear indication of what love means to her. It seems to be implied that it's about superficial looks and the joke is that she's fat but they find that beautiful. The execution still doesn't make any sense though since I don't think Ribrianne ever comments on anyone's looks aside from this episode with Krillin. If that's what love meant to her, wouldn't we have seen her talk about how ugly other people in other universes are? Can't say I remember her doing that, although if she did let me know.

So in conclusion, the point of Ribrianne's character is... I don't know. Her character arc is... I don't know. Her idea of love is... I don't know. :|

I just don't know anything about this character and it's clear TOEI never planned to actually elaborate on her because she's a gag character, and that's why the scene at the end of this episode just doesn't work, because it's supposed to be built on development and characterization that came before it, and there was none.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:46 am

Asura wrote:The problem with all of that is that we never even understood what Ribrianne (and Universe 2) thought love meant in the first place. What exactly do they think it means? It's hard for me to grasp and understand the character's development if we're never even given a clue of where she's coming from or what she's trying to say. Instead, we just get "love" in every single sentence which tells us nothing aside from the fact that Ribrianne should belong to U3 with how much she repeats herself over and over like a robot.

And again, I really don't think her looks are the reason why people dislike her. Sure, they don't help, but the problem with her character isn't that she's fat, it's that she's just a bad gag that repeats herself over and over and over again. Where is the character? What is the character? Who the hell is Brianne other than a broken record? What does she stand for? Obviously it's not the same "love" as every other universe (or at least U7) feels, so what does their version of love mean? We're never given an answer. Is it supposed to be about superficial beauty? Cause there are some butt ugly motherfuckers in U2. Also Brianne seemed to take somewhat of a romantic/tsundere interest at Jiren despite the fact that Jiren is as bald as Krillin is. As a matter of fact, there's a bunch of bald dudes in U2, so if Ribrianne is using baldy as an insult that must mean being bald isn't beautiful to them... so...?

I highly doubt that 18 would take on a mentor role to teach Brianne about love, that's just never going to happen. I don't think Brianne, Sanka Ku, and Su Roas are going to be part of the new generation given they're barely even characters to begin with (especially Sanka Ku and Su Roas). I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw them again given their entire existence is for a gag. Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale have character, they have focus, they have clear personalities, sensible and easily understandable motivations, and you can take them seriously whereas Ribrianne doesn't seem like she was a character ever meant to be taken seriously. We'll definitely be seeing more of Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale.

I don't think Brianne was played brilliantly by TOEI at all. The message they were trying to get across with her character is that she talks about love but doesn't know what love is. Great idea, horrible execution. If only they would explain what the fuck she's talking about instead of just spouting the word "love" at every opportunity, this character could have been mildly interesting. What does Ribrianne mean when she says she fights with/for the power of love?

Toppo is a character who always talks about justice, nowhere near as much as Ribrianne talks about love, but still quite a lot. We actually get to see what justice is to Toppo though, we get to see why he thinks Goku is evil compared to his justice. We literally see him doing good deeds in his universe and protecting people, that is his justice. It's very clearly understood what Toppo means. He talks about justice a lot, but it actually makes sense. There's real meaning behind his words. With Brianne, there is none of that. Just a broken record with no clarification, no backstory, no clear indication of what love means to her. It seems to be implied that it's about superficial looks and the joke is that she's fat but they find that beautiful. The execution still doesn't make any sense though since I don't think Ribrianne ever comments on anyone's looks aside from this episode with Krillin. If that's what love meant to her, wouldn't we have seen her talk about how ugly other people in other universes are? Can't say I remember her doing that, although if she did let me know.

So in conclusion, the point of Ribrianne's character is... I don't know. Her character arc is... I don't know. Her idea of love is... I don't know. :|

I just don't know anything about this character and it's clear TOEI never planned to actually elaborate on her because she's a gag character, and that's why the scene at the end of this episode just doesn't work, because it's supposed to be built on development and characterization that came before it, and there was none.
I agree with this, I think this goes to highlight how this arc would have been greatly benefitted if they spent the time to properly characterize each of the major players and what they believe so we can at least understand their character development.

I think it would have been a good idea in Ribriannes case to have her and her magical girl team actually fight a monster in there universe, and from there they could make clear what Ribrianne thinks love is about, so we actually understand where they are coming from. Instead we just get a mild idea about whatever the hell they're talking about, and they just repeat the word a million times.

In a story, its important to show something over telling, for the majority of the characters in the tournament, we don't have or tell to back any characterization they have since we weren't introduced to them previously.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:26 am

Asura wrote:Also Brianne seemed to take somewhat of a romantic/tsundere interest at Jiren despite the fact that Jiren is as bald as Krillin is. As a matter of fact, there's a bunch of bald dudes in U2, so if Ribrianne is using baldy as an insult that must mean being bald isn't beautiful to them... so...?
She wasn't criticizing Krillin for his baldness, she was mainly referencing the lack of nose.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:13 am

It was strange seeing Vegeta in such a personal desperation, really felt awkward in that moment.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:37 am

Awesome episode. Great moments with 17, 18 and Krillin and the magical girls developing a little at the end. Animation was also very good, and I liked how they gave Brianne a new OST (at least I think it's a new one, correct me if i'm wrong)

Only thing that annoyed me was that the other 3 universe 2 fighters literally just stood there and stared at Goku for 2 minutes. They're going to get eliminated that's for sure, and they were all laughably pathetic. Also, what is Katopesla still doing there? I expected Vegeta to finish him off immediately.

Next episode looks to have a lot of eliminations in it. Can't wait.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 am

Noah wrote:
MasterofSix wrote:
chickensguys wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say FUCK Ribrianne and good riddance. Now I just need to wait a few more episodes to see the whole worthless universe erased to which I will cheer. I really hated that character.
No, you don't.
Yes, he does.
A few days old, but worth noting:

None of these posts are representative of what we expect from the community here on Kanzenshuu. Gross generalizations are not welcome. Please report posts rather than adding your own single-line-two-cents that add to the clutter.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Asura wrote:Also Brianne seemed to take somewhat of a romantic/tsundere interest at Jiren despite the fact that Jiren is as bald as Krillin is. As a matter of fact, there's a bunch of bald dudes in U2, so if Ribrianne is using baldy as an insult that must mean being bald isn't beautiful to them... so...?
She wasn't criticizing Krillin for his baldness, she was mainly referencing the lack of nose.
Yes, but she referred to him as "baldy" as an insult as well.

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I am kind of disappointed for this episode. I actually liked Ribrianne and wanted her to be somewhat of a challenge. I never thought she would be eliminated like this.
I found the magical girls parody fun, but what I really enjoyed the most was how entertaining her fights were. If we can overcome her constant yelling of 'love love love' she is actually a great character and for me she reminded me of great and classic Dragon Ball characters. She is funny and at the same time looked strong, which is kind of the rule to be a great character in Dragon Ball. But her being eliminated like this was really disappointing.

I know we're supposed to be watching the tournament from universe 7's point of view, and we're supposed to be supporting them (from the way the episodes are directed), but everything seemed to point at 18's elimination. Instead we got a powered up Ribrianne being eliminated by a weakened 18 (her leg thing). I wasn't expecting it!

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:28 pm

gofishus wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
gofishus wrote:I'm just going to be blunt with this: if you are fat in today's society and age, you are not going to be as well liked or respected as someone who is slim (everything else equal). Call it body shaming or whatever you want but unless its a genetic disorder or medical condition that prevents them from excercising, those people should take care of their bodies better.
Yea I don't find this much in Real Life at all. In my whole life it has been a rarity when people shame someone cause of their weight or put them down. It is just not a fact I see much or hear much about when in the real world.

I'm a Man and When it comes to women, size of a Lady has never been a determining factor for me on Attractiveness of a lady. A lady can be Skinny, Heavy, Medium, does not matter. A Woman is a Woman and weight has never taken away form their attractiveness to me or really most any other dude I have known in my whole life. Hench, why this hyper dislike of heavy ladies is only a problem online like everything else is Major Problem online these days but never a factor in Real Life. :roll:

So really no, I don't weight shaming rarely ever in Real Life or think one would preach it without getting put down.
That's fine that's your perspective. But most guys I know including myself prefer slim women.
Normal attraction due to healthy mate. A better perspective to have, honestly, for health and evolution.