Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:49 pm

DAMN it, there's nothing i can sta that hasn't been said before.
Great episode by the way.
Galan007 wrote: 2.) We finally get fairly definitive proof that *charged* ki blasts in DB are FTL... Otherwise Goku's Kamehameha wouldn't have been able to overcome the forces of a black hole, and breach/shatter it. That showing beats trying to 'prove' how fast ki blasts are by using fan-calcs gleaned from Roshi and Piccolo's moon-busting feats back in the day, lol.
Why would this be any prove. The fact that Goku's kamehameha was able to break throught a Black hole like attack would only mean that this move is simply strong enough to surpass the force of the gravity field.Not that i'm saying that db attacks are not FTL but i don't get why would this be any kind of speed feat.

Anyway db has never made sense on these kind of things (looking at you Jiren) so whatever.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Is it just me or is Piccolo's "special beam canon" (lol, subs), overused in Super?

Did Piccolo ever use that attack after Radditz in DBZ? I honestly don't remember, I think it appeared in some of the training filler in the Saiyan saga where he blew up Goku's spaceship but never again after that. Why is Super overusing that attack so much like it's Piccolo's signature move?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Anyone else who just loved the moment where the Namekian tried to grapple the Kamehameha out of Gohan?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 pm

precita wrote:Is it just me or is Piccolo's "special beam canon" (lol, subs), overused in Super?

Did Piccolo ever use that attack after Radditz in DBZ? I honestly don't remember, I think it appeared in some of the training filler in the Saiyan saga where he blew up Goku's spaceship but never again after that. Why is Super overusing that attack so much like it's Piccolo's signature move?
Toriyama never used it after Raditz but I feel this was Toriyama againin this episode. All the other times were Toei.

Everyone does consider it his signiture move.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:40 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:Is it just me or is Piccolo's "special beam canon" (lol, subs), overused in Super?

Toriyama never used it after Raditz but I feel this was Toriyama againin this episode. All the other times were Toei.

I don't think he ever used the stretchy arms technique again after his match with Krillin either, and Z pretty much forgot about it too. I'm 100% convinced the reason they use it so often now in Super is because of Luffy :lol:

Kaio-Kienzan

Post by Kaio-Kienzan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Not a terrible episode, although my hatred for all things U2 kept me from being very moved by their goodbye at the end, and my look of indifference turned sour as soon as Caulifla appeared on screen again, although at the very least the exchange between Champa and Beerus made up for it. A decent enough fight between the U6 Nameks and our dynamic duo of Gohan and Pickles, although Goku's level of stamina still seems to be entirely tied to the plot and its convenience. Frankly, I'm just happy this episode exists in order to erase some of my most hated characters in the franchise, with the unfortunate caveat of Caulifla and Kale possibly being wished back in the future :thumbdown:
I didn't think I'd want any character to fuck off from a story more than Nick Fury in Age of Ultron but whoo boy, Trunks definitely earns that coveted position. :problem:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

I don't think he ever used the stretchy arms technique again after his match with Krillin either, and Z pretty much forgot about it too. I'm 100% convinced the reason they use it so often now in Super is because of Luffy :lol:
Toriyama doesn't like to repeat himself that much.

I like stretchy arms so Toei can keep using it. :)

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Was Vice banned? I dont see him anywhere. He only seems to exist to compain...
There isn't a ban, he is simply in the shadows since November 26 to 30, around 6 pm was his last logout..
He hasn't logged in since, this is the latest post..
TheZFighter wrote:Oh my god Nail and Kami appearing <3
How though, kami and Piccolo weren't different beings to begin with, they shouldn't appear, especially since Piccolo was said to have turned into the previous nameless namekian after the fusion

They didn't "appear" physically, I assumed it just went on in Piccolo's mind?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Can't stop re-watching this episode. Help!

I really think the music and it's placement is a huge part of why this one worked so well.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Michsi wrote:Can't stop re-watching this episode. Help!
[spoiler]Image

Hope it helps :thumbup:[/spoiler]
TheZFighter wrote: They didn't "appear" physically, I assumed it just went on in Piccolo's mind?
Yeah, but they appeared spiritually, which they can't, because there shouldn't be anything like kami or Piccolo existing separately when they refused into the nameless namekian back in the android arc.. Or Piccolo got hit so hard he started hallucinating..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
[spoiler]Image

TheZFighter wrote: They didn't "appear" physically, I assumed it just went on in Piccolo's mind?
Yeah, but they appeared spiritually, which they can't, because there shouldn't be anything like kami or Piccolo existing separately when they refused into the nameless namekian back in the android arc.. Or Piccolo got hit so hard he started hallucinating..
Well yes I thought he was hit so hard that he hallucinated.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Why is Freeza so awesome in this arc?! Seriously, all his scenes are perfect.

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
[spoiler]Image

Too late, I've imprinted the episode on my cornea, I will see it with my eyes closed.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:15 pm

I could interpret the "say something" from Beerus to mean three possible things:

1) He was talking to Champa. He wanted Champa to give him some real last words, at least.

2) He was talking to himself, mad that he wasn't able to put aside his attitude and actually have a tender moment.

3) He was talking to Whis, who always needles him in these kinds of situations, but wasn't because it was an actual sad moment. In other words, it was making it feel like a sad awkward silence and having Whis pretend like it was just another normal thing to jab at him about would have made it feel more normal and changed the focus.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:47 pm

mAcChaos wrote:I could interpret the "say something" from Beerus to mean three possible things:

1) He was talking to Champa. He wanted Champa to give him some real last words, at least.

2) He was talking to himself, mad that he wasn't able to put aside his attitude and actually have a tender moment.

3) He was talking to Whis, who always needles him in these kinds of situations, but wasn't because it was an actual sad moment. In other words, it was making it feel like a sad awkward silence and having Whis pretend like it was just another normal thing to jab at him about would have made it feel more normal and changed the focus.
Some guy on reddit thinks he's talking to the narrator, which is pretty sick as he kicks in immediately.

I went straight away for Whis, as in "say something, wtf can be done (to get him back)?"
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm

I think people are reading way too much in to it. It's just Beerus saying like "Say something you idiot". He knows thats not how people are meant to say goodbye but thats just how his brother and their relationship is so he's still mocking him because that's how they show love. This is pretty much the only way I can see it being intended. Talking to the narrator... definitely not.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Why is Freeza so awesome in this arc?! Seriously, all his scenes are perfect.
Awesome like how? Standing there doing nothing while he could clean the rest of fodders in this tournament? :eh:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:36 pm

I rewatched the episode and liked it a lot better on the second go around, but I'm still not seeing what makes this episode a pinnacle of the series, or as I saw a few claim, the entire franchise. I would have rather they cut out 2 episodes of the Caulifla/Kale/Kefla fight with Goku (specifically 113 and 115 since they were really mediocre) and instead gave that time to U2 and U6 going out, since their final fights felt extremely rushed, and that's bound to happen when you make the final fights happen at the same time in only one episode. Showing us a 20 second clip of Gohan and Piccolo fighting every other episode doesn't make the fight feel like it lasted longer than it did, it just felt like more of a disappointment that it wasn't one cohesive fight with nothing important happening in those small clips and barely any dialogue being exchanged either.

This could have been great had we had an episode focused on Piccolo to the same extent that we just had with 18, and at least an entire episode of fighting with Saonel and Pirina since they revelation that they fused with hundreds of people on Namek to become as strong as they have sounds like a really interesting concept that amounted to almost nothing because the fight lasted 5 minutes. They could have just said they were random strong dudes from Namek and the result would literally been the same.

I still felt no emotion when U2 and U6 got erased and considering none of them even seemed sad to go, why should I be?

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Now THAT is how you do a callback to Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan in the Saiyan arc! It was mostly subtle (when compared to the other times they've done it) and the silent cameos from God and Nail, along with the shadows of all the universe 6 Namekians were better instances of symbolism than what you usually expect from Super.

This episode was definitely one of the best in this whole arc, the way that everyone from universe 2 and 6 acted in character right up to the end was perfect. 17, 18 and Goku trying to give themselves introductions was hilarious and the twist with the magical boys was good, loved seeing a brief bit of universe 2 because it tied in with the joke that Ribrianne and the others are like the protagonists of a magical girl anime but sadly they're not the protagonists of this one so they had to be wiped out but they were happy even at their last moments, the heart floating away was actually a bit sad.

Wish we had seen Kale say something to Caulifla before they vanished but Champa's goodbye to Beerus was funny and sad at the same time too.

Nozawa's power up scream during the "more than love, I prefer guts!" speech was one of her best in a while, possibly since the Kaio-Ken x10 Super Saiyan Blue against Hit (that moment was also when the episode went from just being good to being one of the best in this arc), better than the "haaaa" in that rail grind kamehameha against Kafla.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Whatever wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Whatever wrote: Gohan needed to be saved both times Piccolo used the spc,he even apologises for the 1st time since he needed to be saved and he pretty much admitted it was his mistake.
Gohan saved Piccolo 2 times in episode 118 as well.
Yes, but it didn't feel like an unequal relationship. Not like in 106 where Gohan choked and Piccolo had to step in. Piccolo firing off the Special Beam Cannon early to help him the first time was treated as a mistake that forced the two of them to do better and trust each other. They both acknowledged their faults. And in the end, Gohan and Piccolo were covering each other to launch their final attacks.

This was more than just sacrificing Piccolo to big up Gohan. This felt like genuine teamwork.
And whatever or not was genuine teamwork is not the point,you said Gohan did not need any help when Piccolo fired the sbc early,something which is not true as Gohan himself admitted it was his fault that Piccolo fired it early because Gohan needed to be saved at that point.
What i said was we didn't get the scene where Piccolo sacrificed himself like everyone was afraid of. Yes, he had to help Gohan at one point, but it was only the middle point of the fight and Gohan returned the favour in full.

The big fear was that we'd just get a dumb fanservicey callback to the Saiyan saga where Piccolo gives himself up for Gohan, which would devalue both of them and show cheap homages and bones thrown to the "Piccolo is Gohan's true dad" crowd trump character development. Instead we got the opposite, where the two of them help each other out and fight as equals. It was fantastic.