Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Asura wrote:I do agree that some of those posts go a bit too far, especially those that attempt to insult others for their beliefs about the show. If I’m being honest however, I feel like this is a case of “Big Brother is always watching” which makes me feel a bit uneasy that our posts are being so analyzed and I think a hands-off approach is better unless, like I said, the post in question goes too far and borders on hostility. I don’t see an issue with a lot of those posts though and I feel as if you’re nitpicking a bit too much. Someone adding in their two cents about the episode in a sentence or two doesn’t distract from the thread or do any harm to anyone. If anything, people could ask them to elaborate or question them about their short opinion which would foster discussion.

I hope I’m not overstepping my boundaries here, I just felt that it’s a bit unnerving for some people to have their posts publicly scrutinized when some of them really aren’t a big deal and is something that most people don’t mind since its just more opinions being added to the discussion, even if they’re short and sweet.
We receive complaints/criticisms when we are public with our moderation, and we receive complaints/critcisms when we are private and discreet with them without anything public to show for what's occurred. This is a non-winnable situation for us, and we made peace with that years ago. We do what we do and make the best judgement about it at the time we are doing it.

In terms of episode discussion threads, we have only ever had to do this public showcase once before. It certainly helped turn the tides at the time, and we hope it will do the same again here in this case.

To your point, yes, "big brother" is always watching. That is what the moderators and administrators are for. Again I say that all members agreed to a certain set of community guidelines (twice) prior to registration, and none of this should come as a surprise or shock.

Again again I ask that you continue your regularly-scheduled episode discussions. There is nothing more to be said here in this thread regarding this particular topic, though you are of course always welcome to create a separate thread in a respective area of the forum and/or contact the website directly.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Meh episode. Not horrible like 106 though. Favorite part was Goku/17 team up. Their interactions just keep getting better.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Liked the episode more on a second viewing, but it's still the worst one since the special. However, I'd say it's still better than the averege from before that. It's not exactly bad, but the good that's there isn't really anything to write home about.

Sadly, all the build up to the two Universe 4 secret warriors was a letdown. Damon's great abillities from the, albeit, unreleased profile never made an appearance. Would've really liked to see the self destruct move and the shedding skin. Thankfully, Gamiramas was not just a recolored Damon. Sure, he wasn't great either, but especially seeing that Damon wasn't all that great, having another one of him would've been even worse. As it is, he at least provided a cool moment for Piccolo.
Shantsa got wasted, though. His abillity could've really used an entire episode to explore and would've been a nice way to have some cool match-ups with fighters that already got eliminated. Especially early on, when we still had more fighters in.

Piccolo's elimination was handled well. He got his big moment last episode and in this one done enough to not look like he got totally wasted. Eliminated two warriors and saved two team mates? That's fine with me. Also, Damon's trick was a problem for everybody and in that way it didn't make Piccolo look dumber than the rest.

However, the whole thing hangs on a very stupid premise. With two untraceable fighters, why even attack now? Universe 7, 11 and 3 are still there and when the close match-ups come up, you could very easily pick up the fighters when they're on the edge, quite like against Katopesla. Sure, you might not take out Jiren or Ultra Instinct Goku, but eventually only one of those guys would remain standing and since you are two... well... you would have a lot more chances. The full blown attack, after being stealthy for so long, is a huge tactical mistake.

Some other noteworthy stuff are the Goku/17 team-up, since they truly work well together and the Vegeta/Katopesla fight, which, while not anything to write home about, by the very nature of the warriors engaged had me interested.

So yeah, that's about it. A premise broken at the core, done about as well as you could do it in those circumstances. If anything, I'm glad they took this breather before the final stretch against U11, so we can get the same quality we've been getting for months now again for the climax. Sadly, the next two episdoes are U3 based and with Katopesla out, I really hope Papparoni is cool, because otherwise I won't be able to give any shits about those GT-level trash robot designs. The Megazord idea is nice, but since I give zero fucks about the components, I just want to see it taken care of faster so we can move on to the Pride Troopers. At least it seems the guys are worth going Blue against, so they should be pretty strong. If the theory floating around that the Androids are also going to be controled and turned against U7 is true, that should be pretty exciting, but I'm not holding my breath.

As a side note, U7 could've really used Jaco this episode, since his great eyesight would've caught Damon from the very start.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Okay, to elaborate on my earlier post........

I was a little annoyed that U4 targeted U7 exclusively. It felt like a missed opportunity; how would the illusion power affect Jiren? Why didn't they target U11 or U3? (yes I know Quitela had a grudge against Beerus, but still.....)? Would the likes of Dypso have been able to put up a good defence against them?

Guess we'll never know, as U7 has to be the primary target for all.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm

I gotta say that the biggest disappointment of this episode was how poorly U4 erasure was handled. It just felt so rushed and the only one who reacted was Quitela and while I did like his reaction, I wish they would have shown him attacking Zeno or the grand priest or really anyone before being erased. I really hope that U3 erasure is handled better because I would be disappointed if they got a lame erasure like U4.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:So, only three universes remain, it seems like the finale is getting closer. Wonder what they will do until March then, will the finale really long? will we get some twist? Or just filler?
Well till march could mean begging of march. Since we get like 5/6 eps per month, they still got around 12-15 ep to wrap it up. SSince u3 will get 2 episodes, it means from ep 122 and onwards it will be the final fight, with the remaining u7 fighters duking it out with Dyspo,Toppo n Jiren.
Michsi wrote:Didn't they speed things up lately?
Dont think so, they might even slow it down if there will be big match ups, like Toppo vs Golden Freeza, Dyspo vs Gohan or 17, vegeta vs Jiren, or Goku n vegeta vs Jiren.
SonReggie wrote:Okay, to elaborate on my earlier post........

I was a little annoyed that U4 targeted U7 exclusively. It felt like a missed opportunity; how would the illusion power affect Jiren? Why didn't they target U11 or U3? (yes I know Quitela had a grudge against Beerus, but still.....)? Would the likes of Dypso have been able to put up a good defence against them?

Well i can tell you how it would work vs Jiren, they wouldnt have been able to get passed his auto shields lol.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 pm

I was hoping better from Quitela and Universe 4, like a showdown emphasizing his rivalry with Beerus or something. It makes his previous smug confidence during Ultra Instinct VS Jiren baffling in retrospect. I was struck by how smart 17 is; bringing the androids onto the team ended up being one of the best decisions for them. I was confused why they couldn't figure out where their attackers were, because I thought they could sense movements in the air and so forth even without detecting energy. But maybe that is what they meant by "detecting energy," and he was masking it...
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Does anyone actually give a crap about those robots in the next episode? The series is starting to follow a trend, and we all know they'll be beaten without impacting the story at all.

I really just want Jiren to step up again. Can't believe I have to wait 3 more episodes for this.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Does anyone actually give a crap about those robots in the next episode? The series is starting to follow a trend, and we all know they'll be beaten without impacting the story at all.

I really just want Jiren to step up again. Can't believe I have to wait 3 more episodes for this.
Me!!!! I am actually impressed with u3. From the get go i was totally uninterested in u3 since they all seemed like generic robots who will just be fodder. But now with katopesla and maji kayo, i am really interested how u3 will do. I really enjoyed maji kayo's ability to stretch and so forth. And i especially enjoyed katopesla, especially once he went ultimate mode. Guy just jumped to one of my favorite DB characters.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Does anyone actually give a crap about those robots in the next episode? The series is starting to follow a trend, and we all know they'll be beaten without impacting the story at all.

I think they'll knock someone (or multiple people) on U7 out. U7 still has a whopping 6 fighters left, and I can't imagine they'd still have that many people left when going up against U11's 3 people.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Asura wrote:

I think they'll knock someone (or multiple people) on U7 out. U7 still has a whopping 6 fighters left, and I can't imagine they'd still have that many people left when going up against U11's 3 people.
I'm surprised any universe has any fighters left when it's bloody apparent Jiren could single-handedly knock everyone out in an instant.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: I'm surprised any universe has any fighters left when it's bloody apparent Jiren could single-handedly knock everyone out in an instant.
Jiren has a moral that he don't want the other universe to die,toppo as well share this sentiment,nah there just saving stamina :roll: .
Mostly active on discord.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Not a fan of robots in general, and their designs didn't really impress me either. The only thing I'm looking forward here is this deal with the supposed mind control, if that even is what will happen. It all comes down to execution, so if it's handled well, any idea can be enjoyable.

Still, today's episode kinda extinguished some of my enthusiasm and general enjoyment of the arc. I hope 118 won't be the high point for me, though if it is, it was still one hell of an episode.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I don't really care about them character wise, but i do think their battle could be entertaining/funny, hopefully much more than the fights in this episode.

Now that i begin to think about it, it would have been better if Roshi, Tien or Krillin were the ones to ring them out, since they are the weaker U7 fighters, their battle would actually have stakes, i don't know if it would have made so much of a difference given the fact that i don't care about U4, but hey i liked Krillin's fight in #99 so....
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Re-watched the episode. I really like it. I think its problem is that it happens NOW and not, say, 10 episodes earlier. It's a solid episode, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to have these kind of fighters stick around so long.
Would've been nice to somehow show that the bunny girl from U9 was (offscreen) ringed out by them.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:45 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Does anyone actually give a crap about those robots in the next episode? The series is starting to follow a trend, and we all know they'll be beaten without impacting the story at all. I really just want Jiren to step up again. Can't believe I have to wait 3 more episodes for this.
Yep, we all know they're going to be erased on the same episode and the next one will be the final matches between U7 vs. U11

Also I would be glad if you could join this discussion :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Seriously who wrote the episode? They need to fire that guy immediately! Horible episode zero emotion, poor execution with the bugs, mediocre animation, and worst of all Piccolo got tossed out like a trashcan :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

xpNc

Post by xpNc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

SonReggie wrote:Okay, to elaborate on my earlier post........

It makes sense to target U7. U4 wanted to level the playing field among all the remaining universes so they could fight amongst themselves. When only a couple remained, they would then use their invisible/small fighters to catch them off guard and knock them off the edge.

Attacking Universe 11 wouldn't really make much sense in this regard. You'd be doing nothing more than giving U7 an even bigger lead. And they did attack U3 by knocking off Katopesla. If no one figured out who/what/where U4's secret fighters were, they would have probably knocked off the Androids to the addition of Piccolo, leaving 4 in U7, 3 in U11 and 5 in U3. With their numbers lower, the idea is that they'll eliminate each other,and then U4 could pick up the pieces.

Because they were so invested in this scheme and brought tricksters instead of powerful fighters, they paid the price.

Melab

Post by Melab » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Saturnine wrote:I don't understand why you were expecting a better performance from U4. They're clearly all fodders, relying only on subterfuge and plain old fighting dirty. It's quite realistic that playing dirty would get them this far, but against real skill and power they really didn't have much to give. Quitela's way of going was also mildly disturbing, which is cool.
WittyUsername wrote:One more thing I’ll say about this episode: Universe 4 as a whole was wasted. They had some pretty cool designs, and the idea of a universe that relies more on dirty tricks and fancy techniques rather than brute strength was an interesting concept, but they were more or less wasted. Also the fact that Quitela was being built up as a manipulative bastard and a rival for Beerus, honestly means that his erasure shouldn’t have been so rushed.

Oh well, I guess Universe 3 is up next.
Universe 4, in fact, did have non-fodder characters, but they were all used and eliminated before this episode and their universe of origin was an irrelevant detail when they were in the spotlight. Krillin and Android 18's dual-attack was used in their fight with Shosa, who almost eliminated Android 18 by getting her to let her guard down, setting Krillin up to rescue her. Majora was another Universe 4 fighter who faced Krillin and Android 18 together, with Krillin being saved by Android 18 against him. Dercori's fight against Roshi showcased Roshi's battle prowess against her illusions. Ganos' fight with Roshi put Roshi into the show's spotlight and was capitalized on to provide nostalgia for fans of the Dragon Ball anime and the manga. Monna pushed Cabba to become Super Saiyan 2. Those are five characters that were not wasted.
Last edited by Melab on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Rewatched the episode, and it's not as boring as initially thought it was. Maybe it was partly due to the fact that I was half asleep while watching it initially. It's a decent episode with some nice strategy injected into, even if some of it isn't handled that well. I still find this episode one of the more underwhelming episodes of the entire tournament. It reminds me of Episode 106 where I feel they could have done more with the concept behind the characters unique traits and abilities, but didn't really think all of through properly or to its full extent.

I think the big issue with this episode is that happened at the wrong time. They should have dealt with those kind fighters from Universe 4 way earlier in the tournament if that was their gimmicks.