Super Episode 120 (17 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Super Episode 120 (17 December 2017)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 120, aired 17 December 2017

完璧なる生存戦略!第3宇宙脅威の刺客!!
Kanpeki naru Seizon Senryaku! Dai 3 Uchū Kyōi no Shikaku! !
A Perfect Survival Strategy! Universe 3's Menacing Assassins!!

Summary:
The Omni-Kings review the current status of the tournament, seeing that many warriors have been eliminated and only three universes now remain. Though the tournament will soon be over, the Great Priest assures them that the truly exciting part is still ahead, now that only the top warriors from each universe remain. Following the loss of Piccolo, there are now only six members left on the Universe 7 team. Goku is certain that Jiren and co. over in Universe 11 will be their final opponents, but out in the bleachers Piccolo thinks they shouldn’t overlook Universe 3.

Indeed, at that moment the U3 God of Destruction Mosco declares (via his angel, who serves as interpreter) that with so few warriors remaining, now is the perfect time for them to finally get serious. Following Mosco’s orders, Paparoni assembles the other four remaining U3 warriors, and together they go after the U7 team. While 17 and 18 struggles against Viara (whose defense ranks near the top of U3), Vegeta finds that Bollarator can anticipate his movements thanks to Koitsukai’s analysis. Whis can tell that their team won’t have such an easy time defeating warriors who have managed to survive for this long.

Continuing to analyze the U7 team from afar, Koitsukai directs Panchia and Bollarator to defeat Goku and Vegeta with coordinated attacks. But Gohan protects Goku and Vegeta from the U3 warriors; he’s determined to take out these opponents on his own, so that Goku and Vegeta can conserve their stamina. Gohan manages well against Koitsukai, Panchia, and Bollarator, anticipating their movements much as they did with Vegeta.

Meanwhile, 17 and 18 use their infinite stamina to gradually wear down Viara’s defenses with an endless barrage of ki blasts. Viara collapses after cracks form in his armor, and 18 knocks him out of bounds. With only four U3 warriors left, Mosco commands them to begin “Plan X”. At Paparoni’s instructions, Koitsukai, Panchia, and Bollarator merge together into “Koichiarator”. The U3 Kaioshin Ea explains how Paparoni modified those three so that they could combine into this, the ultimate warrior.

Observing events from afar, Toppo thinks that U3 has been keeping a rather troublesome ace-in-the-hole, while Freeza looks forward to watching how things play out. Gohan’s initial barrage of ki blasts has no effect on Kochiarator, who despite his large size proves to also be faster than before. As Gohan struggles to block one of Kochiarator’s attacks, Goku and Vegeta suddenly rush in and knock Kochiarator away. Goku assures Gohan that thanks to him, he has recovered his stamina.

Goku and Vegeta go Super Saiyan Blue, and for a time their blasts manage to push Kochiarator back, but with Paparoni’s encouragement Kochiarator manages to counter their blasts in the end. Paparoni declares victory, but in fact Goku and Vegeta were merely buying time so that Gohan could charge up an attack of his own. Now that they’ve created an opening, Gohan nails Kochiarator with a Kamehameha that eventually breaks through the merged warrior’s guard.

It seems that Gohan has defeated the U3 team, and Beerus is so impressed that he finally calls Gohan by name. Though Kochiarator is nowhere in sight, Paparoni has managed to remain in the arena. As Gohan and co. go to drop him out of bounds, he vows to unleash U3’s true final tactic, and Kochiarator suddenly appears behind him…

10 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Episode 120 (17 December 2017)

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 pm

I really enjoyed seeing Gokû and Vegeta team up. They didn't say much to each other, but the team work made me happy.

Gohan's big attack was so cool I'm disappointed it didn't work.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Much better than last weeks episode, but it's still not living up to the high quality episodes we've been getting from the special up until Episode 118.

I'm glad that Universe 3 didn't get eliminated in this episode and the fight will continue on into the next episode. That transformation in the preview looked so bizarre but kinda cool, I guess? It was nice seeing Gohan doing most of the fighting and it's always a lot of fun watching 17 and 18 fighting together.

One thing I don't like about all these universes being erased during the tournament is that there's less of a crowd as time progresses. I don't know if it's just me, but big moments feel way more impactful when there are a bunch of characters spectating it. That was one of the many reasons why UI Goku vs Jiren felt so huge. Everyone just stood there in awe as the two of them fought.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Gohan Blanco is going to eliminate Aniraza in the next episode.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm actually liking Dragon Ball robots for the first time.
Feels over Reals.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 pm

Gohan Blanco, the Big Bad Bot Basher!

Way to go, you got begrudging belligerent Beerus liking your best!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Decent episode. Nothing amazing, but nothing terrible. 109-118 overall has been the best stretch of episodes in DBS imo. This episode far shits on last episode but it wasn't anything amazing. I do like that they're portraying Gohan the way he was in the recruitment arc though. But overall, ever since Kefla's defeat, I'm ready to just get to Goku VS Jiren II.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:10 pm

You know, I find it kinda funny that people have complained about thing seeming a bit empty in the ring, and yet now it's completely justified.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

I really liked the episode. Very battle-centric. Nice to see Beerus actually refer to Gohan by name after all this time.

My only gripe about it is how yet again, as half of U7 is facing off against U3, everyone else is just standing there watching. That doesn't necessarily capture the essence of a "battle royale", but whatever. Next episode doesn't appear to be that entirely (but I bet U11 is just standing there watching now). Hopefully we get to see Golden Freeza fight next episode.

(And I'm certain there are going to be fans focused on Goku's statement to Gohan in the episode. "OMG, Goku does care for Gohan after all!" :lol: )

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 pm

This was a good looking episode. Next week looks more exciting though.

Snart

Post by Snart » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:15 pm

After seeing the NEP, I'm really hoping we get to finally SSG Vegeta in the anime.
Goku Black Rosé is beautiful

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 pm

-This is one of the odd cases of an episode where its first half was more engaging than the second. It helps that the first half has better art and more movement in general, even if unspectacular.

-Somehow Goku sensed Koichiarator's ki, even Koichiarator's components don't appear to be organic beings.

-Viara is an idiot for attacking both 17 and 18 when he got knocked out offscreen a few episodes ago by 17 alone. What's odd is that their encounter in this episode doesn't seem seem to acknowledge their previous one.

-For an universe with advanced technology, couldn't U3 just have installed a speech program to Mosco?

-Could Gohan ever bother doing a masenko for once? The kamehameha is the only thing he ever does now.

-It was warm of Vegeta for smiling at Gohan. It was refreashing that he wasn't acting like a cocky jackass this time around. Beerus even remembered Gohan's name for once.

-Is that another new tune that I hear when Bollarator attacks Goku?

I'm glad Freeza will finally jump into action. 18's time might come, and if it does, I'll miss her.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Well, that was a heck of a lot better than last weeks disappointing showing. Much better paced, better directed and good animation throughout. Some random notes:

-Nice to see that Universe 3 is putting up more of fight against the heavy hitters from Universe 7.

-I never tire of seeing #17 and #18 team up and fight. It's just wonderful to see.

-Seeing Gohan take charge so that Goku and Vegeta wouldn't tire themselves out was really great. It's the kind of leadership I wanted to see out of Gohan in the tournament.

-I marked out when Goku, Vegeta and Gohan all powered and charged at Kiochiarator. It's such a super rare sight to see all three of those guys working on the same page and it was handled so damn well.

-I was certain that when Gohan, Vegeta and Goku took on Koitsukai, Borareta and Pancea fused together (Kiochiarator), those robots were done for. But nope. They live to fight another day. That was nice suprise.

-Beerus showing his subtle way of displaying respect to someone by mentioning them by name (Gohan) was a really cool touch. I'm glad they're being consistent with this aspect of Beerus' characterisation.

-Aniraza looks awesome in the preview and I really hope he eliminates a contestant or two for Universe 7.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Goodness, how strong are these robots supposed to be? Gohan said he was using his full power, along with SSJ Blue Goku and Vegeta...and they STILL weren't defeated?

Crazy since most people thought they were going to be fodder. Loved 17/18 team-up, and I find it amusing Freeza is the "lone wolf" just standing back and observing.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 pm

I love seeing the androids fight together. I dare say they were the highlight of the episode for me!

This episode in general was better than I thought it’d be. Gohan had a good showing tonight.

Can’t wait to see Everyone team up.

It still really bugs me that U11 warriors have literally been doing nothing outside of the occasional battles they have. I really hope they don’t try to make these fights with U11 2 vs 1. I’m curious how this is all going to work out.

Maybe it’ll be 6 vs 1 and everyone takes turns fighting Jiren? I just have a hard time seeing Toppo or Dyspo knock out Frieza, Vegeta, 17/18 or Gohan. Scratch that. I think I can see Gohan getting KOed, but that’s about it.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Wasn't expecting much, but that was a nice episode overall. It's a nice last hurrah before the final boss fight. Still wondering how Koichi will fuse with Paparoni to become a giant ass Aniraza.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 pm

This is what 98-101 should have been,it was damn good with the entire crew fighting excluding frieza.
    The battles were good,mostly the battle with the three robots in the first half,the second half only had a good beam struggle the rest wasn't impressive even biara vs the androids speaking of which is stupid that he is challenging yet he got stomped by #17 two episode ago,this is my problem with this saga is that there is no internal consistency,literally the only thing they kept consistent was narirama arms being disabled :lol:.The androids team up was cool even if the gap of the two is really big.
      The robots were pretty funny shouting their name like pokemon and of course paparoni is your typical tournament power character,i didn't cared for this guy.
        A good episode with strong first half and a ok second half.
        Mostly active on discord.

jplaya2023
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 pm

this should've been the episode that piccolo was eliminated from. He could've save gohan from the robot attack and got knocked off stage and it would've triggered gohan's rage.

This episode was cool, i have no qualms with it. It looks like frieza is gonna get his hands dirty and 17 is going to be eliminated which sucks. I wonder if the pride troopers will help next week.

this giant robot looks like hatchiyack from the OVA movie kind of.

Also they might as well give vegeta ssj red in the anime to match goku at this point.

MegaBossMan
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Some strong alignment with the Universe 7 team here, with good synchronization between the Androids and the Saiyans. I'm still pretty hung over with the Androids attachment though, so I'll be hoping the Universe 3 team leaves a mark and causes a quick upset before the inevitable Universe 11 hurrah. Universe 3 fails to leave any personality marks though. The expectation for me was to see Paparoni as a Dr. Wily figure, but he's the generic ToP bad guy.

Watching this episode though, I couldn't help but begrudgingly wish Damon was still around. A warrior popping into these perfect synchronization moments and ruining predictable coordination with explosion techniques just sounded so perfect with how somewhat stale this overall episode was. I'm just disappointed with how rushed last episode was, when there was a pinnacle opportunity to just extend him into the Universe 3 episodes and really make that atmosphere of a suprise-attack battle royale. It's whatever now, but I can't help but wonder how I'd want to tackle this arc overall.
        By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, that was a heck of a lot better than last weeks disappointing showing. Much better paced, better directed and good animation throughout. Some random notes:

-Nice to see that Universe 3 is putting up more of fight against the heavy hitters from Universe 7.

-I never tire of seeing #17 and #18 team up and fight. It's just wonderful to see.

-Seeing Gohan take charge so that Goku and Vegeta wouldn't tire themselves out was really great. It's the kind of leadership I wanted to see out of Gohan in the tournament.

-I marked out when Goku, Vegeta and Gohan all powered and charged at Kiochiarator. It's such a super rare sight to see all three of those guys working on the same page and it was handled so damn well.

-I was certain that when Gohan, Vegeta and Goku took on Koitsukai, Borareta and Pancea fused together (Kiochiarator), those robots were done for. But nope. They live to fight another day. That was nice suprise.

-Beerus showing his subtle way of displaying respect to someone by mentioning them by name (Gohan) was a really cool touch. I'm glad they're being consistent with this aspect of Beerus' characterisation.

-Aniraza looks awesome in the preview and I really hope he eliminates a contestant or two for Universe 7.
        I have to agree with your opinions. I do love how Beerus finally acknowledges Gohan by calling him by his name and not kid. I do think that next episode will be fun.I do wonder how can Goku sense their ki even though they are machines. I give this episode a 7 out of 10.
        Majinwarman
        So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
        A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.