Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:34 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 125, aired 28 January 2018

威風堂々! 破壊神トッポ降臨!!
Ifu-Dōdō! Hakaishin Toppo Kōrin!
Majestic! Advent of the God of Destruction, Toppo!!

Summary:

Goku and Vegeta continue to tag-team Jiren, but despite all the attacks the throw at him (including another Final Flash from Vegeta), Jiren still isn’t even sweating. Over in the bleachers, Kuririn is freaked out by this, but Gohan trusts Goku and Vegeta will manage to win. Beerus even congratulates Gohan for doing well (and actually calls him by name for a change).

While the fight against Jiren rages on, Toppo and No.17’s battle continues as well, with 17 using his energy barrier to block Toppo’s Justice Flash attack. Seeing that only about six more minutes remain in the tournament, 17 starts blasting Toppo with an endless barrage of small ki blasts. Although these attacks don’t have much effect on Toppo, they still keep him preoccupied, and in the bleachers 18 explains that 17 plans on using his infinite energy to stall Toppo like this until time runs out.

Realizing 17’s strategy, Toppo breaks away and vows to defeat him right away to protect his universe, firing a tremendous ki beam towards 17, who counters with a beam of his own. The two beams struggle against each other, but before long Toppo’s beam starts pushing 17 towards the edge of the arena. Before 17 can be ringed out though, Freeza (still in Golden mode) appears and blasts Toppo from behind. He thinks 17 has been playing around too much, and steps in to finish Toppo off himself.

Freeza continues to fire at Toppo, who is still stuck in his beam struggle against 17 and unable to turn around and counterattack. Growing bored with his defenseless opponent, Freeza prepares a finishing blow (though he wants to make sure not to kill him), which damages Toppo so much that he finally loses the beam struggle and is enveloped by 17’s blast. It looks as if Toppo has been defeated, but Whis sees that he has not materialized in the bleachers, meaning he’s still in the game.

Indeed, Toppo has remained inside the arena, but he collapses and Freeza mocks him as trash that needs to be thrown away. Before Freeza can “gently” knock Toppo out of bounds though, Toppo gets back up on his feet, his uniform in tatters and his bare chest exposed. Toppo declares that he no longer needs justice and has resolved himself…He begins emitting a gigantic ki very similar to a god’s ki, and Belmod says it’s time Toppo showed them “that” power.

Toppo’s eyes glow purple, he is veiled in a purple aura, and a crest appears on his chest (identical to the one Belmod wears on his clothing). Freeza is unimpressed by Toppo’s transformation, and tests him out by firing off a finger beam. However, the beam is completely nullified by Toppo’s purple aura, and in the bleachers Beerus recognizes this as the Power of Destruction, a power which only a God of Destruction is supposed to have. Khai points out that Toppo is the candidate to be U11's next God of Destruction, and Belmod says now that Toppo’s resolved himself he is no different than a God of Destruction. Marcaritta likewise tells Toppo it's time to show off the fruits of his training under her.

Regardless, Freeza maintains that even a God of Destruction means nothing to him now that he’s Golden Freeza. While Toppo fires off a blast of the Power of Destruction at Freeza, Freeza remembers dealing with this energy prior to the tournament (when U4 sent its assassins against him) and thinks one hand should be enough to block it. But the blast steadily overwhelms him despite his struggles, resulting in an explosion that cracks the arena in pieces.

With Freeza seemingly out of the way, Toppo next goes after 17, who was trying to hide. Toppo uses his Justice Flash, and while 17 blocks with another energy barrier, this time his barrier is cracked to pieces by Toppo’s attack, demonstrating that even Toppo’s regular ki attacks have greatly powered up. Beerus explains that Toppo surrounds himself in Destruction Energy, thus preventing 17 from directly damaging him. Toppo next fires a blast of Destruction Energy at 17, who manages to deflect it out of the way (nearly hitting the bleachers in the process).

From this latest attack, Beerus can tell that Toppo needs time to charge before he can fire off Destruction Energy. However, even while charging he can still surround himself in Destruction Energy, so it seems like there’s no way for 17 to win. Toppo keeps firing away at 17 with his Justice Flash attack, then prepares another blast of Destruction Energy just as 17 has nowhere left to run. However, a rock comes flying out of nowhere and crashes into Toppo’s blast, nullifying it. It turns out Freeza withstood Toppo’s earlier attack, though he has reverted from Golden Freeza to his normal form and is injured head to toe.

Vowing to destroy Toppo, Freeza forms an enormous ball of ki capable of destroying an entire planet (his signature “Death Ball” technique), but Toppo counters it with just a tiny amount of Destruction energy, then rushes in close and begins thrashing Freeza with close-range physical attacks. Although Toppo could easily destroy Freeza now, this would get him disqualified, so he merely throws the thoroughly battered Freeza out of bounds.

As Freeza flies through the air, 17 throws a rock at him, changing his trajectory so that he lands just on the edge of the arena (though 17 claims he was trying to hit Toppo). Toppo praises 17’s ability to have survived so long, but says there’s nothing he can do. However, 17 refuses to give up until the end.

5 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Post by puar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm

one of the best animated episodes in dragon ball history

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Great episode. Next episode looks also nice. Who is the animator?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Jake, the summary should be "A visual example of what happens when they try to cut the Lorax's tree.

Haha, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit and adored the Namek reference.

@Pannna: Yashima, Nikaido and Manabe were the highlights.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Fantastic episode. My favorite since 116. Toppo absolutely shitstomping Freeza was the best part. What made it so damn good was the fact that fans were downplaying Toppo, and Freeza was doing his very best to shit on Toppo verbally. Toppo paying him back in spades was so gratifying. Freeza and 17's contrast I liked. 17 being the one to play it safe and as a result performs better against Toppo while Freeza continues in with his arrogant asshole self and gets bodied. Awesome episode.

If Toppo at this point is this strong but still weaker than Jiren, just how fucking strong is Jiren suppose to be?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Jigurashi wrote:Fantastic episode. My favorite since 116. Toppo absolutely shitstomping Freeza was the best part. What made it so damn good was the fact that fans were downplaying Toppo, and Freeza was doing his very best to shit on Toppo verbally. Toppo paying him back in spades was so gratifying. Freeza and 17's contrast I liked. 17 being the one to play it safe and as a result performs better against Toppo while Freeza continues in with his arrogant asshole self and gets bodied. Awesome episode.

If Toppo at this point is this strong but still weaker than Jiren, just how fucking strong is Jiren suppose to be?

Above the level of the God of Destruction. He's such a beast...

And I agree, Frieaza got what he deserved after that trash talk. Funny how a rock throw from 17 had to save him lol.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm

This is how the Lorax was originally supposed to end until parents complained about violence. I'm loving the aesthetics of the battlefield the more fucked up it gets, especially since I've been waiting for the stage to split apart into floating platforms for a while now. Toppo is legitimately scary in this episodes, from his no nonsense demenour, to his blunt destruction of everyone's shit.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Finally, an episode that amazes me after a string of fine but flawed ones.

-Toppo became a god of destruction during the tournament like many of us thought. I wonder, did he need to be a GoD in order to summon hakai ki, or was he always holding back? Anyways, I'm glad he's all out in action after waiting for the longest time.

-In this tournament, 17 was calm and calculating, and on this episode, he still kept calm even while outmatched and it resulted in him managing to keep himself at least in a decent condition. Be a 17.

-In this tournament, Freeza was calm and calculating, but on this episode, he went back to his overconfident and temperamental self, and as a result was savagely beaten after understimating Toppo. Don't be a Freeza.

-I never expected Future Trunks' Super theme to make a return at all.

-I am dissapointed that Toppo didn't lose all his clothing now that he's black and buff.

I guess 17 is definitely out of the tournament for episode 126. Freeza was strangely kept around on this one, so they may have something up for him. Maybe a sneak attack on the last standing warrior or something... maybe he screws up on the process and gets permanently erased. Maybe an explosion goes off near the rock he's laying unconscious on and falls off.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm

17 continues to be the best character of this arc.

Freeza got owned hard though

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 pm

One of the best episodes so far!!! He even gave Freeza his own treatment by slowly torturing him through squeezing fine his head lmao. Toppo is an absolute beast!!! His art, design, animation, power and feats were all great! Absolutely loved it!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

No pun intended, but my god, that episode was just... wow. I caught that Freeza-Namek reference, with him surviving the Energy of Destruction just like he survived Goku's Genki Dama. And THE ART was impressive. Animation kept up with the fighting choreography (even if there wasn't a lot of fighting) when it happened. Just, wow. Visually impressive, if nothing else.

And that NEP! Cannot wait for Vegeta vs Toppo! Jiren doesn't appear to be anywhere found in the NEP so far, but we've been misled before.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:55 pm

This was another episode that wonderfully over-delivered. And also served as a sensational way to bounce from last weeks somewhat underwhelming entry. Great animation, wonderful direction, good writing and great suspense as you could really feel the urgency with how frantic and desparte the remaining fighters were acting.

Hakaishin Toppo was fucking frightening in combat. I mean, look at this:

Terrifying.

One of Super's best episodes in every aspect.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This was another episode that wonderfully over-delivered. And also served as a sensational way to bounce from last weeks somewhat underwhelming entry. Great animation, wonderful direction, good writing and great suspense as you could really feel the urgency with how frantic and desparte the remaining fighters were acting.

Terrifying.

I recall Frieza being disappointed by the no killing rule..... Bet he's thanking Zen-Oh for them now though. If Toppo didn't Hakai him, he have crushed his head into a deflated, meat balloon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:00 pm

That was a real good episode. Much better than last week. One of the better ones.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

I would say Toppo is more impressive than Jiren if Jiren would actually be pushed to a point of having to try and finally going all out. If Jiren was easily whoopin Goku and Vegeta then I'm afraid he's still topdog.

Seems like next eps is setting up a Vegeta v Toppo double ko leaving Goku vs Jiren for the final 4 minutes. Dont miss it!

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

That was a very entertaining episode. Desperation is starting to set in for U7. Frieza's still hanging in there.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This was another episode that wonderfully over-delivered. And also served as a sensational way to bounce from last weeks somewhat underwhelming entry. Great animation, wonderful direction, good writing and great suspense as you could really feel the urgency with how frantic and desparte the remaining fighters were acting.

Terrifying.

I recall Frieza being disappointed by the no killing rule..... Bet he's thanking Zen-Oh for them now though. If Toppo didn't Hakai him, he have crushed his head into a deflated, meat balloon.
Well at the same time one could say that Freeza could've of just killed Toppo during the 17 beam clash preventing him from ever transforming. So..

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:04 pm

I'm probably the only person of this opinion, but I personally didn't particularly enjoy this episode at all. In the Tournament of Power, I found Top up to this point to be one of the most uninteresting and generic characters; I was hoping his ascension to destroyer deity might change that for me, but, instead, it...turned him into Broli, making him even less interesting. This episode felt, to me, too much like Movie 08 and, even then, I found Movie 08 more entertaining. This episode disappointed me quite a bit...
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:07 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A Hakaishin can coat themselves with the Energy of Destruction, and Jiren could still beat one? Jeezus, just what level is Jiren on?

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 pm

You know whats funny. The ToP arc was stated to be the worst arc in history of dragon ball. But somehow it has one of the best episodes in history of Dragon Ball. Thats... ironic!?