Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 130, aired 18 March 2018

空前絶後の超決戦!究極のサバイバルバトル!!
Kūzen-Zetsugo no Chō Kessen! Kyūkyoku no Sabaibaru Batoru!!
An Unprecedented Super Showdown! The Ultimate Survival Battle!!

Summary:

Goku has finally achieved the complete form of Ultra Instinct and tells Jiren that their true battle begins now. Off in the bleachers, the Universe 1 Kaioshin Anato is interested to see how Ultra Instinct Goku will fare against full-power Jiren, and how their battle will conclude. As Goku begins his counterattack against Jiren, Piccolo is impressed by the completed Ultra Instinct’s speed, but Belmod still believes Jiren cannot possibly lose.

Jiren himself tells Goku not to get carried away simply because he’s powered up, but in fact Goku begins to completely overwhelm Jiren. Shin thinks Universe 7’s victory is assured, while Khai worries that Goku has vastly surpassed Jiren’s power. Jiren though is certain that he will win: strength is justice, strength is absolute, and he won’t allow himself to be defeated and lose everything like he did before. Jiren powers up with an explosive storm of fiery ki, and Vegeta and Gohan realize that being overwhelmed by Goku has caused Jiren to recall his past trauma, thereby awakening his hidden power.

With his heightened ki, Jiren seems to gain the upper hand on Goku, knocking him around and finishing off with a big blast that leaves him flat on the ground. While it looks like the match is over, Kuririn still believes in Goku; after all, Goku always turns the tables when things get tough. As he yells for Goku to get back up, Goku does instead struggle back to his feet. Jiren is amazed that Goku still has any stamina left, and Goku explains that he can’t back down now, since 17 and the others have put their faith in him.

Jiren insists that such sentiments are meaningless in the face of his power, but as he and Goku start to fight again, Goku is even faster than before. Piccolo says this is because Goku is fighting for the sake of others, while Roshi further explain that Goku and co. have come this far because they mutually support one another. Kuririn and Tenshinhan say that though they may have started off as enemies, now they have all put their trust in Goku; Goku has the mysterious ability to draw his opponents over to his side.

Goku continues to fight Jiren with what he describes as “our power”, but Jiren still refuses to accept the importance of friendship or trust; doing so would mean denying all that he has stood for up until now. Jiren claims he will easily wipe out the power Goku believes in and aims a blast at the U7 team in the bleachers. Angered, Goku deflects the blast and says that he might not be a hero of justice, but he won’t forgive those who hurt his friends. Goku savagely attacks Jiren, finishing off with a Kamehameha.

Now Jiren is the one on the ground, apparently immobilized by Goku’s blast. Though Goku seems reluctant to finish him off, Jiren says the match is over and tells Goku to knock him out of bounds. But as Goku prepares a final blast, he suddenly collapses. Whis realizes that the strain of surpassing his limits with the power of the gods has taken a heavy toll on Goku. Belmod screams for Jiren to take this chance to defeat Goku and obtain the Super Dragon Balls.

Although Jiren is unhappy with winning in this fashion, he assures Goku that he will always live on in his memory. While Jiren sends Goku flying out of the arena, a blast from behind Jiren suddenly hits Goku, changing his trajectory so that he lands on a floating piece of rubble. It turns out that Freeza is still in the fight…as is 17! It seems 17 didn’t actually self-destruct earlier: he explains that it was a gamble whether he would survive or not, but he got lucky. Belmod tells Jiren to knock 17 and Freeza out before time is up, while 17 tells Freeza that with Goku in such bad condition, it will be up to the two of them to win.

Elsewhere, Goku has reverted to his normal form and lies unconscious on the floating rubble. Only a little time remains in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Post by Raphael_Z » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Yay!!! A17 is alive. Even if they don't defeat Jiren (which I doubt will happen) in 131, all that U7 needs to do is stall for time. As long as they have 1 more fighter than U11 they've won already.

Damn, I bet the Pride Troopers feel really DUMB now seeing how their "let's save energy and wait" strategy completely failed.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm

So... that was the best thing I've ever seen. I would be going nuts in this post, but I spent so much energy screaming while watching this episode that I literally can't translate my excitement through typed up words. Easily the best episode of Super and easily the best animated Dragon Ball thing ever. I am going to remember this one.

17 and Freeza making a come back made me squeal. I love this team up. It ain't over yet!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Well, this was easily the best animated episode of Super by large margin. Hell, I'd think it would be even safe to call it the best animated episode of the series.

Not particularly fond of the narrative content, but its very well presented so I'll give it a pass.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm

That single episode topped 110 for me. Why couldn't that Tate guy work on DBS from the beginning? The show wouldn't have been even more awesome. Nothing to say but wow, such a good episode, too bad it's ending next week. What a bummer. :(

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:42 pm

MagmonKai wrote:That single episode topped 110 for me. Why couldn't that Tate guy work on DBS from the beginning? The show wouldn't have been even more awesome. Nothing to say but wow, such a good episode, too bad it's ending next week. What a bummer. :(
Tate's been here since episode 2.

The problem has been he was rarely given the time to go all out like he did in this episode.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Even though MUI Goku defeated Jiren at the end, Jiren landed some pretty good hits and completely overpowered MUI at one point before Goku raise his power even further. So MUI *can* be touched by Jiren. Ok just saying, not like I care at this point.

This indeed is the best looking Dragon Ball Super IMO. I'm really glad they managed to at least make the final fight pretty enjoyable. :clap:
And the spoilers were right regarding #17, though the way it was presented so casually at the end of the episode was kind of funny lol

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Vegeta has officially been surpassed in importance in the series by Frieza and 17. Who would have thought.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 pm

This episode was an amalgamation of everything great about Dragon Ball.

The twists in the narrative.

The sensational battles.

The stunning animation.

The wonderful voice acting.

The great music.

This was a pure spectacle, and it was just breathinking to witness. Rarely do Dragon Ball episode ever give me goosebumps, but I was getting quite emotional while watching this episode. This was one of the great episodes of Dragon Ball I've ever watched and I've watched all of them.

And now I face the longest week ever. I pray they stick the landing and end this arc on an appropriate note, though.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 pm

That El Padre Grande smile in the preview is gonna ignite another swarm of fan theories, that I will assure you guys.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Jiren: "Impossible! You shouldn't have any stamina left!"

:lol:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Jiren: "Impossible! You shouldn't have any stamina left!"

In the end, he wasn't wrong :lol:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Well, quite frankly, that was the best 20 minutes of action anime I've ever seen. Period. Kudos to Toei Animation.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Jiren: "Impossible! You shouldn't have any stamina left!"

The entire Universal Survival Arc beautifully summed up in a nutshell.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This episode was an amalgamation of everything great about Dragon Ball.

The twists in the narrative.

The sensational battles.

The stunning animation.

The wonderful voice acting.

The great music.

This was a pure spectacle, and it was just breathinking to witness. Rarely do Dragon Ball episode ever give me goosebumps, but I was getting quite emotional while watching this episode. This was one of the great episodes of Dragon Ball I've ever watched and I've watched all of them.

And now I face the longest week ever. I pray they stick the landing and end this arc on an appropriate note, though.
Nozawa's stupid WAAAAAAAAH screams were annoying still. Took me out a few times. Why do they still make her do that?
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Wow, Jiren's an asshole. This guy is supposed to be a superhero? He just purposely tried to murder innocent people to prove a point!

And I'm glad to see DBZ Goku back. This serious disposition and prioritizing others over his obsession with fighting (for comedic effect) is what I've wanted all series.

Also, when Goku said, "I'm not a hero of justice or anything," I chuckled cause it reminded me of his dub speech to Frieza on Namek. You're supposed to be the hope of the universe, Goku!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Well, quite frankly, that was the best 20 minutes of action anime I've ever seen. Period. Kudos to Toei Animation.
No one ever believes me when I tell them whenever TOEI puts their best foot forward they ARE THE BEST. We seen it in Dragonball Z and now we are seeing it AGAIN.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 pm

This is the best episode of DBS bar none. One of my favorite fights of Dragon Ball period

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 pm

That was an amazing episode with crazy twists and turns. Overall great even if the yu-gi-oh esque "power of friendship" crap is a bit contrived but still entertaining as hell

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Definitely my favorite Dragon Ball episode ever, animation-wise.