Kaboom's "Draw Me A What-If" Game

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Kaboom's "Draw Me A What-If" Game

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Okay, guys, as of late this section has become too dominated by DragonBall-Multiverse, TeamFourStar, and bitching about TeamFourStar for my tastes. It looks like it's up to me again to bring something new to the table. So I've come up with something cool that those of us with artistic skills (and even those without, if they wish) can come together and have fun with.
  • Each week, starting today, I'm going to post a general concept for a "what-if." It'll either be an idea for a character or a situation. It'll be up to you to give visual form to that concept in whatever way you choose, and post them here in this thread. All the while, I'll be drawing and coming up with things right along with you guys (I've tried my best not to plan any of my own drawings in advance, I promise).
  • Everyone's encouraged to give praise or critique as they see fit, but remember: drawing skill is secondary to concept and creativity when it comes to what-ifs.
  • Keep in mind, this is not a contest. It's a place to share ideas and hopefully show a wide range of artistic diversity while still sharing a single subject.
  • When a week has passed, I'll pick and post the next What-If. You can still and are encouraged to post pictures of past concepts if you want, though.
  • All the while, I'll gladly take suggestions for future ideas at any point, though you'll never know what I pick.
Characters will probably be comparatively easy (and as such, I'm going to start off with one). Situations, however, might be a bit tougher. All you'll get for those is a single change in the story at one point. From then on, it's up to you to interpret how things might turn out, and what event or point in that "alternate future" you want to show. Plus, being a situation kinda implies that you have to draw a whole little scene. But I guess in certain situations simply drawing one or two characters would work just as well.

But it's all up to you. Once given that original concept, the sky's the limit.

So we down with this? Sound like a good idea? Why don't we try it out, starting now? I'm making the topic on a Friday night, but we'll make the Saturday nights the roll-over time when a new concept gets posted. That way we can have a little extra time for this first experimental week.

Okay, the first What-If is...

A Fusion of Goten and Trunks through Potara rather than the Fusion Dance.

Now, read that very carefully. If there's anything I don't want you to do, it's limit yourself. Think about it. Did I say anything about what age Goten and Trunks have to be? What clothes they had to be wearing when they fused? What Super Saiyan stage the Fusion has to be at? Anything like that? Nope!

Go nuts, folks! Let's make this good!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Trunks'/Goten's potara fusion could be called... Tren? >.>

And he'd probably wear a Green gi with long Orange sleeves, purple hair with black tips in a sort of Gohan in the Cell arc style with more bangs?

I can barely even visualise this...

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Trunten.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:58 pm

I'm all over this. I'm gonna whip up a drawing real quick, and I'll get back to you. ;)

Also, that's a great piece of work there, Metalwario!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 am

Rough sketch (rough as in it looks messy. I doubt I could draw it any better (not to so it's perfect, this is just about as good as I am), it could just look cleaner):

Went for a cross between their casual clothes.
Last edited by Amigo Ten on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 am

Alright very interesting concept here. I can't wait whip up a sketch.

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 am

Damn you!
I'm busy enough as it is but I can't resist things like this.

Will post a doodle in a while.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 am

Thought I'd try my take on this, since I love the concept of this thread and I have way too much experience (read: 7+ years) in drawing Dragonball fanart.

So there ya go. Can't be bothered to color it, sorry. Looking forward to what you bring us next week! :)
Last edited by TrunksTrevelyan0064 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 am

The first one was severely rushed, because I wanted to post the first artwork! Because of this, I made a better drawing of "Trunten" with the same design. I didn't color it because I really didn't want to! I hate coloring! :cry:
Only thing I don't like is his right arm(not the arm to the right in the picture)... I don't think I put enough perspective into it...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 am

Great topic, here's mine

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:36 am

[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:36 am

This is a cool idea. I think the name should be Trunkten, because wasn't that what Piccolo first called Gotenks? Anyway, I don't have time to draw right now, but I'll see if I can get one up later.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:50 pm

I'll join' you later)))
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Awesome idea, mine will be up today :)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:03 pm

I will post the crap later. I'm very tired. I spent all night decorating the entrie room with Dragon Ball stuff and re-arragnged some things. I probably won't be getting some sleep until much later.

For those that is curious about my drawing, head over to the "Show Off Your Crap" thread.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:54 pm

I proudly present teen super saiyajin 3 Trunkten from Dragon Ball Untold Chapters! This is an idea I had been debating whether to add to my fan series or not and this gave me a great chance to draw him.

Deviant Art link: http://darkhawk5.deviantart.com/art/DBU ... -133470908

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Here he is, my Tren!

Since Gotenks looks more like Trunks, I figured Tren would look more like Goten.

I'm trying to do a line and colour version but Fireworks is HORRIBLE to draw lines with, maybe MetalWario will give me some pointers. :D

Is there a way to use in the Pen Tool in Photoshop without there being a fill? It's bloody awful...

I never ever feel like contributing to the Fanworks section but this topic seemed too fun...

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Sorry I didn't found pencil or color-pens so I drawn some sketch of ''Trunksen'' by ink-pen.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Damn shame about that boy.

Damn shame.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Rocketman wrote:Damn shame about that boy.

Damn shame.
XD Rocketman, that better not be how our secret project is going to end up. :shock:

That's hilarious, and I must say, lots of these drawings are really impressive.