Official Unofficial Power Level Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official Unofficial Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 pm

ahill1 wrote:
Kaboom wrote:but in an era of peace with no pressing crisis he's not going to make massive, amazing gains.
Piccolo from Freeza saga vs Piccolo from Trunks saga :lol:
Those are two different Piccolos, though. Kami had some influence on Piccolo's warrior personality, you can see it when he declines a 2nd Rosat trip during the 10 days of wait.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:44 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
dragonball0900 wrote: Vegeta could be hopeful because of Gohan's rage boosts. He was already a witness from it.

Yeah, it doesn't grow forever, but who says that it kept rising during the interval between the Namek and the Mecha Frieza arc? There's never a statement that Gohan increased in strenght. There's no statement that happened otherwise. Since there's no statement that he increased his strenght or not, then I don't think my list is wrong with that.

Just because Krillin is too weak in comparison it doesn't mean he can indeed help. There's the fight vs Nappa, where Krillin is weak in comparison to Piccolo and Nappa, yet he still manages to get hits to Nappa. And Vegeta had no other option than to have Gohan and Krillin for help. There has to be instances too that Krillin can be capable of doing something to Frieza, such as moments where Frieza is not moving, etc.

I always have the thought that the reason Piccolo had a lot of high boosts is because of his fusion with Nail, and the theory that he had the potential already unlocked by Guru.
Would his rage boost be the same, though? Last time he was mad because Kuririn was supposedly dead. He can't just go apeshit the moment he wants.

I never said his power increased between Arcs. I said he should be stronger than what you have them based on how strong they were on the last Arc.

That's why i didn't mention his increases during the 3 years. Aren't those boosts to bloated, though? He picks up SSJs who trained two years in only one year, and in Super he goes from Cell Jr level to above Super Buu training by his own. I don't see a problem with him going from below Nappa to above Ginyu.
Putting Piccolo so lows is ignoring something flat out stated that has zero things to imply otherwise. It's not because seems bloated that is wrong. Guru implies the Nameless Namekian division cutted his power by two:
Chapter: 265 (DBZ 71), P3.4-5
Context: the Great Elder reads Kuririn’s mind and learns of God and Piccolo.
Great Elder: “Hmf! He split in two, long ago…after evil entered into him! How foolish… He diminished by half the genius power with which he was gifted at birth! If he had come back together as one, he might not have had to die…”
And Nail says Piccolo would beat Freeza if he was one with Kami:
Chapter: 295 (DBZ 101), P1.4, P2.1-5, P3.1
Nail: “I-I’m astonished…I don’t know what kind of training you’ve done, but you’ve acquired unbelievable power…Still, it’s unfortunate…If you had only returned to the original, single Namekian you were, you might have been able to defeat even Freeza…
Piccolo: “Are you saying that if I merged with God once again, my power would even surpass Freeza!?
Nail: “Th-that’s right…I was overwhelmingly defeated by Freeza, but I should have a good comprehension of his abilities…[ ] So merge with me…! I’m also the only fighting-type Namekian on this planet…[ ] That’s right…Your power will become many times greater…”
Piccolo: “…You’re not lying, are you?”
Nail: “If you think so, you can just go get killed by Freeza…”
This is ignoring flat out stated powers, like Kuririn > Tenshinhan or SSJ Gotenks > SSJ3 Goku.
Gohan obviously can't go rage the moment he wants, he was enraged at the point of Piccolo, his master, nearly getting killed, he couldn't stand it, that's why.

The thing is that, as I said, Nail's fusion could've make him doing a big gains. That's why Piccolo manages to compete against the SSJs at the Cell Games. I don't think Piccolo is above Super Buu in Super, but that's a topic I don't want to touch at all.

I just go by the way that Nail says it is that he might of thought that the fusion with Kami isn't a X2 boost. He probably didn't have that much of a notion of how strong would a fusion with Kami be. I'll still personally go by Piccolo having 50,000 to 60,000 after King Kai's training.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

dragonball0900 wrote: Gohan obviously can't go rage the moment he wants, he was enraged at the point of Piccolo, his master, nearly getting killed, he couldn't stand it, that's why.

The thing is that, as I said, Nail's fusion could've make him doing a big gains. That's why Piccolo manages to compete against the SSJs at the Cell Games. I don't think Piccolo is above Super Buu in Super, but that's a topic I don't want to touch at all.

I just go by the way that Nail says it is that he might of thought that the fusion with Kami isn't a X2 boost. He probably didn't have that much of a notion of how strong would a fusion with Kami be. I'll still personally go by Piccolo having 50,000 to 60,000 after King Kai's training.
Wait a minute... Weren't we talking about Gohan right after he was recovered from 2nd form Freeza's beatdown? But repeting myself on the last post, guess neither of us can prove each other wrong :roll:. But this Gohan should still be stronger than 1st Form Freza, considering before it he was pretty close to him and is the only one to stand against Freeza, and his power even raised Vegeta's hopes. Sure, he could be counting with rage boosts, by is it so sure he's going to have one? He only had it because Kuririn was suposedly dead, but what's going to enrage him now? What makes Vegeta sure it will be the same boost? I think 600-700k sounds good for this Gohan.

He was standing right next to Guru when he stated the boost was 2x, though. Even if you don't by 2x, he can't be 10 times weaker than Freeza, unless you think Piccolo was 10 times weaker than 17 before merging.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:19 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wait a minute... Weren't we talking about Gohan right after he was recovered from 2nd form Freeza's beatdown? But repeting myself on the last post, guess neither of us can prove each other wrong :roll:. But this Gohan should still be stronger than 1st Form Freza, considering before it he was pretty close to him and is the only one to stand against Freeza, and his power even raised Vegeta's hopes. Sure, he could be counting with rage boosts, by is it so sure he's going to have one? He only had it because Kuririn was suposedly dead, but what's going to enrage him now? What makes Vegeta sure it will be the same boost? I think 600-700k sounds good for this Gohan.

He was standing right next to Guru when he stated the boost was 2x, though. Even if you don't by 2x, he can't be 10 times weaker than Freeza, unless you think Piccolo was 10 times weaker than 17 before merging.
Yeah, I am talking about Gohan after he was recovered. And I don't see why Gohan should be stronger than 1st Form Frieza. There was never any confirmation that Gohan was close to 2nd Form Frieza at all. And yes, I'm pretty sure Vegeta was counting the rage boosts when he was hopeful about Gohan's strenght. Vegeta just wouldn't really care what moment Gohan will be enraged, he's just like "great, that kid got stronger, his strenght is now better than before and if gets enraged Frieza will be defeated for sure", or something like that. Who knows, maybe Krillin or Dende can be killed again for Gohan to have one.

As for Piccolo, maybe Nail just didn't know how to gauge powers really well and just thought that Frieza was too strong for Piccolo's boost. Or maybe Nail can't just sense Piccolo properly. Or he simply didn't have the 2x number in mind when he thought that. I don't really think Piccolo is that high, that would mean that his training in x10 gravity would be better than Goku's intense training in x100 gravity.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:52 am

dragonball0900 wrote: Yeah, I am talking about Gohan after he was recovered. And I don't see why Gohan should be stronger than 1st Form Frieza. There was never any confirmation that Gohan was close to 2nd Form Frieza at all. And yes, I'm pretty sure Vegeta was counting the rage boosts when he was hopeful about Gohan's strenght. Vegeta just wouldn't really care what moment Gohan will be enraged, he's just like "great, that kid got stronger, his strenght is now better than before and if gets enraged Frieza will be defeated for sure", or something like that. Who knows, maybe Krillin or Dende can be killed again for Gohan to have one.

As for Piccolo, maybe Nail just didn't know how to gauge powers really well and just thought that Frieza was too strong for Piccolo's boost. Or maybe Nail can't just sense Piccolo properly. Or he simply didn't have the 2x number in mind when he thought that. I don't really think Piccolo is that high, that would mean that his training in x10 gravity would be better than Goku's intense training in x100 gravity.
This is a too hypothetical scenario. Who guarantees Kuririn is going to almost die again? Enraged Gohan did nothing but superficial wounds to Freeza yet Vegeta is a bit more confident when Gohan is about to face a even stronger Freeza. I think both had a rage in mind, considering Gohan is powering up and has a mad face, but nothing as savage as the boost after Kuririn "died", considering nothing is putting Gohan on the edge this time.

Why would Nail be wrong? The author talks trought his characters. Why would Toriyama put a quote if it's supposed to be intepreted in a different way? I don't see why to complicate things too much tbh.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:00 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: This is a too hypothetical scenario. Who guarantees Kuririn is going to almost die again? Enraged Gohan did nothing but superficial wounds to Freeza yet Vegeta is a bit more confident when Gohan is about to face a even stronger Freeza. I think both had a rage in mind, considering Gohan is powering up and has a mad face, but nothing as savage as the boost after Kuririn "died", considering nothing is putting Gohan on the edge this time.

Why would Nail be wrong? The author talks trought his characters. Why would Toriyama put a quote if it's supposed to be intepreted in a different way? I don't see why to complicate things too much tbh.
Frieza is not much stronger than before. It's the same Frieza as always. There's also the fact that Gohan is much stronger since he got a zenkai. Before the zenkai I place him like around 100,000 or something like that. Then got to 200,000 after recieving it. Obviously his rage boosts would be much stronger, and Vegeta thought that these would make Gohan be able to defeat Frieza. And who says that he can't recieve another big boost? Vegeta just considered on the possibility of Gohan recieving a rage boost, with that being able to defeat Frieza.

Because Piccolo getting to 200,000 just seems insane. Just training in X10 gravity wouldn't make someone like x80 times stronger, just like x20 at most. If he gets to that number, then Tien, Yamcha and Chiaotzu would have to recieve similiar increases, and that would make them surpass Krillin. I think Toriyama forgot the X2 boost for Kami's fusion at that time of the story, and could've thought it was a bigger boost.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:12 pm

dragonball0900 wrote: Frieza is not much stronger than before. It's the same Frieza as always. There's also the fact that Gohan is much stronger since he got a zenkai. Before the zenkai I place him like around 100,000 or something like that. Then got to 200,000 after recieving it. Obviously his rage boosts would be much stronger, and Vegeta thought that these would make Gohan be able to defeat Frieza. And who says that he can't recieve another big boost? Vegeta just considered on the possibility of Gohan recieving a rage boost, with that being able to defeat Frieza.

Because Piccolo getting to 200,000 just seems insane. Just training in X10 gravity wouldn't make someone like x80 times stronger, just like x20 at most. If he gets to that number, then Tien, Yamcha and Chiaotzu would have to recieve similiar increases, and that would make them surpass Krillin. I think Toriyama forgot the X2 boost for Kami's fusion at that time of the story, and could've thought it was a bigger boost.
100k is too low IMO. The lowest i'd put Gohan is 250-300k. But anyway, here's what Vegeta says after Gohan recovers from Freeza:
Chapter: 299 (DBZ 105), P13.1
Context: after Gohan is healed by Dende
Vegeta: “Heh…Just as you’d expect of someone with Saiyan blood, after reviving his battle power has greatly risen…A-alright! Luck is turning our way just a little bit…”
This is just after Freeza power ups from Gohan only superficially wounding him. And he doesn't even mentions Gohan's rage as well, he only talks about Gohan's Zenkai boost.

Freeza Saga is full of insane boosts. Vegeta going from weaker than Recoome to on pair with 1st form Freeza, Goku going from weaker than Ginyu to above Zenkai Vegeta, Kuririn going from below weaker than Earth Vegeta to above the Ginyus... The fact Piccolo got any boost from a week on Kaio is insane itself, so him having a huge boost like pretty much everyone on the Arc had shouldn't be insane on unbeliveable. And i dunno Toriyama would forget a boost he stated a few chapters earlier. But anyway, even if you don't buy a 2x boost, Piccolo can't be weaker than Ginyu, unless you think Piccolo is like, more than 5 times weaker than 17. There is no reason for the fusion boost change betweens arcs.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:05 pm

How much suppressed was Gohan as the 'Golden Warrior' in early Boo arc?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: 100k is too low IMO. The lowest i'd put Gohan is 250-300k. But anyway, here's what Vegeta says after Gohan recovers from Freeza:
Chapter: 299 (DBZ 105), P13.1
Context: after Gohan is healed by Dende
Vegeta: “Heh…Just as you’d expect of someone with Saiyan blood, after reviving his battle power has greatly risen…A-alright! Luck is turning our way just a little bit…”
This is just after Freeza power ups from Gohan only superficially wounding him. And he doesn't even mentions Gohan's rage as well, he only talks about Gohan's Zenkai boost.

Freeza Saga is full of insane boosts. Vegeta going from weaker than Recoome to on pair with 1st form Freeza, Goku going from weaker than Ginyu to above Zenkai Vegeta, Kuririn going from below weaker than Earth Vegeta to above the Ginyus... The fact Piccolo got any boost from a week on Kaio is insane itself, so him having a huge boost like pretty much everyone on the Arc had shouldn't be insane on unbeliveable. And i dunno Toriyama would forget a boost he stated a few chapters earlier. But anyway, even if you don't buy a 2x boost, Piccolo can't be weaker than Ginyu, unless you think Piccolo is like, more than 5 times weaker than 17. There is no reason for the fusion boost change betweens arcs.
As I said, even though he doesn't mention the rage boosts, he could still easily be talking about that. He was probably referring to Gohan's Zenkai boost making him stronger for possible and future rage boosts. It doesn't contradict the dialogue at all. And 250 to 300K is too high considering it surpasses Gohan's V-Jump power level of 200,000.

I know the whole Namek arc is full of insane boosts, but at least those boosts have an explanation and a reasoning. Vegeta getting from weaker than Recoome to be on par with 1st Form Frieza has an explanation that the zenkai could've been continuous. Remember that at first, Vegeta found Goku's power of 90,000 amazing, and even considered him and Ginyu a threat still, he was only considered to be "above Jeice". Later, at Frieza's ship, when Ginyu (in Goku's body) and Jeice were arriving, Vegeta was fearing that Goku would be the one arriving, specially since he has great power, considering that Vegeta sensed Goku's 180,000 against Ginyu. Later when he slept at Frieza's ship, that's where I think his power got to close to 1st Form Frieza. At least Vegeta's zenkai, while it doesn't make sense, has a bit of reasoning when looking into it.

Piccolo's increase, however, doesn't make sense, and there's no way to find out why he increased up to 200,000 (if he ever increased to that level at least). That's why I give him the power level of 50,000. It doesn't mean he can't be 200,000, but just to make every increase to make sense, I put him at 50,000, specially since the earthlings would have the same increase as well and they have to stay below Krillin.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm

dragonball0900 wrote: As I said, even though he doesn't mention the rage boosts, he could still easily be talking about that. He was probably referring to Gohan's Zenkai boost making him stronger for possible and future rage boosts. It doesn't contradict the dialogue at all. And 250 to 300K is too high considering it surpasses Gohan's V-Jump power level of 200,000.

I know the whole Namek arc is full of insane boosts, but at least those boosts have an explanation and a reasoning. Vegeta getting from weaker than Recoome to be on par with 1st Form Frieza has an explanation that the zenkai could've been continuous. Remember that at first, Vegeta found Goku's power of 90,000 amazing, and even considered him and Ginyu a threat still, he was only considered to be "above Jeice". Later, at Frieza's ship, when Ginyu (in Goku's body) and Jeice were arriving, Vegeta was fearing that Goku would be the one arriving, specially since he has great power, considering that Vegeta sensed Goku's 180,000 against Ginyu. Later when he slept at Frieza's ship, that's where I think his power got to close to 1st Form Frieza. At least Vegeta's zenkai, while it doesn't make sense, has a bit of reasoning when looking into it.

Piccolo's increase, however, doesn't make sense, and there's no way to find out why he increased up to 200,000 (if he ever increased to that level at least). That's why I give him the power level of 50,000. It doesn't mean he can't be 200,000, but just to make every increase to make sense, I put him at 50,000, specially since the earthlings would have the same increase as well and they have to stay below Krillin.
Why he doesn't mention the rages then? The way he talks sounds like he's rellying mainly on Gohan's regular power. Gohan getting enraged is only an hypothesis, Vegeta can't be sure Gohan will get mad again. Enraged Gohan only scratched Freeza, and Freeza has powered up after he took the beatdown. Vegeta wouldn't be even a tiny bit hopeful if Gohan is going to fight this Freeza while he can't even beat his old enraged power, much less Vegeta himself.

Oh, i think i'm seeing your point. You don't what to put Piccolo that right because Yamcha and Tenshinhan would be too high too, right? Well, you can give Piccolo a higher boost than then, considering he has a historic of insane boosts even before fusing (See his boosts for the 23rd Budokai and the Saiyan Arc), but not anything whooping like Piccolo (Pre merging) > Humans (Mecha Arc). You can also bump Kuririn as well, as the 75k from V-Jump is ridiculously low considering he should be useful not only against 1st form Freeza, but also against Vegeta's estimatives for 2nd form Freeza.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:36 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Oh, i think i'm seeing your point. You don't what to put Piccolo that right because Yamcha and Tenshinhan would be too high too, right? Well, you can give Piccolo a higher boost than then, considering he has a historic of insane boosts even before fusing (See his boosts for the 23rd Budokai and the Saiyan Arc), but not anything whooping like Piccolo (Pre merging) > Humans (Mecha Arc). You can also bump Kuririn as well, as the 75k from V-Jump is ridiculously low considering he should be useful not only against 1st form Freeza, but also against Vegeta's estimatives for 2nd form Freeza.
My problem with Piccolo's supposed boost has nothing to do with the earthlings. He's a Warrior Type Namekian, so it would make sense that he'd gain strength at a much faster rate than they would. The problem is that Piccolo spent six days training at Kaio's. Saying that Piccolo jumps from below Nappa's level to halfway up to Freeza in a mere week is insane. To put it in perspective, in the same period of time, Goku was training nonstop in steadily increasing gravity conditions, maxing out at 100Gs, and was unknowingly taking advantage of the Saiyan trait of gaining strength by overcoming death. And he "only" got about ten times stronger. And you expect me to believe that Piccolo got about 70 times stronger in a mere six days by training in 10Gs? Does not compute. I find it easier to accept that the Grand Elder's "divide his power by half" line doesn't necessarily mean that Piccolo's power would double if he merged with God. Namekian fusion doesn't necessarily need to be a static power boost.

I see nothing wrong with Kuririn being at 75k. He never actually fights Freeza head on or anything. Vegeta was probably counting on Kuririn to play a support role like he did in the last arc.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

DanielSSJ wrote:My problem with Piccolo's supposed boost has nothing to do with the earthlings. He's a Warrior Type Namekian, so it would make sense that he'd gain strength at a much faster rate than they would. The problem is that Piccolo spent six days training at Kaio's. Saying that Piccolo jumps from below Nappa's level to halfway up to Freeza in a mere week is insane. To put it in perspective, in the same period of time, Goku was training nonstop in steadily increasing gravity conditions, maxing out at 100Gs, and was unknowingly taking advantage of the Saiyan trait of gaining strength by overcoming death. And he "only" got about ten times stronger. And you expect me to believe that Piccolo got about 70 times stronger in a mere six days by training in 10Gs? Does not compute. I find it easier to accept that the Grand Elder's "divide his power by half" line doesn't necessarily mean that Piccolo's power would double if he merged with God. Namekian fusion doesn't necessarily need to be a static power boost.

I see nothing wrong with Kuririn being at 75k. He never actually fights Freeza head on or anything. Vegeta was probably counting on Kuririn to play a support role like he did in the last arc.
I understand you disbelief but you are ignoring two different statements from two different characters regarding this, Nail and Grand Guru. You just can't do that because Mr.Toriyama didn't bother to come up with a reasonable explanation. This is exactly like the Saiyans Zenkais in Namek, huge power increases to fit the plot, except the author didn't come up with any Zenkai for the Namekians.

How Goku evolved has nothing to do with Piccolo, at all. Like how the Zenkais are arbitrary for Goku, Vegeta and Gohan throughout the arc. It's all about the plot.

If it helps you accept the power up better, I believe the fight against Nappa had a high influence in Piccolo's power up and it was not just the training at Kaio's. After the fight against Raditz, Piccolo got more than 2% stronger. I think he doubled or tripled his power from the fight, he's the type that evolves post-fighting. A better method than Zenkais, of course this is just my personal theory although I have the Raditz example to support it.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:29 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:
My problem with Piccolo's supposed boost has nothing to do with the earthlings. He's a Warrior Type Namekian, so it would make sense that he'd gain strength at a much faster rate than they would. The problem is that Piccolo spent six days training at Kaio's. Saying that Piccolo jumps from below Nappa's level to halfway up to Freeza in a mere week is insane. To put it in perspective, in the same period of time, Goku was training nonstop in steadily increasing gravity conditions, maxing out at 100Gs, and was unknowingly taking advantage of the Saiyan trait of gaining strength by overcoming death. And he "only" got about ten times stronger. And you expect me to believe that Piccolo got about 70 times stronger in a mere six days by training in 10Gs? Does not compute. I find it easier to accept that the Grand Elder's "divide his power by half" line doesn't necessarily mean that Piccolo's power would double if he merged with God. Namekian fusion doesn't necessarily need to be a static power boost.

@LightBing pretty much nailed the Piccolo part. He pretty much received the "Freeza's 4 months" treatment, something that is not insane when you remember this is a Arc even Kuririn is getting randomly stronger.

Yeah, Kuririn actually was supposed to be backing him up, considering Vegeta himself is the only one who can stand up to Freeza mano a mano. However, how could Kuririn even give him a snack attack if he can't follow Freeza's movements? Remember Vegeta expected to beat even against what he estimated for 2nd Form Freeza. Vegeta seems to think Goku couldn't be useful as well, even after he saw him using Kaioken x2:
Chapter: 282 (DBZ 88), P15.1
Context: talking to Goku
Vegeta: “You seem confident after becoming so overwhelmingly strong, but you absolutely can’t win against Freeza like this! Not unless you were immortal! You don’t understand a thing about how fearsome Freeza is!”
Chapter: 283 (DBZ 89), P1.1
Goku: “I think that I’ve gotten pretty strong, if I say so myself…But you’re saying that I still absolutely can’t beat Freeza…!?”
Vegeta: “That’s right. If you want to fight him, you’d better prepare yourself. Freeza’s strength is most likely far beyond your imagination…”

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Thinking about it, there are other problems with the "two-fold increase" idea. The Grand Elder seemed pretty surprised that the nameless Namekian was done in by Saiyans, and even asked if the guy who killed him was a Super Saiyan. But if God and Piccolo were each supposed to be half as strong as the nameless Namekian, that'd leave him with a battle power of 1,000 at the most, taking into account any power God and Piccolo might've lost over the years. That would leave him a bit behind Raditz, let alone Nappa and Vegeta. In all honesty, I just don't know what to make of the nameless Namekian, and I'm starting to think I'd be better off leaving pre-Nail Piccolo off of my lists.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:Thinking about it, there are other problems with the "two-fold increase" idea. The Grand Elder seemed pretty surprised that the nameless Namekian was done in by Saiyans, and even asked if the guy who killed him was a Super Saiyan. But if God and Piccolo were each supposed to be half as strong as the nameless Namekian, that'd leave him with a battle power of 1,000 at the most, taking into account any power God and Piccolo might've lost over the years. That would leave him a bit behind Raditz, let alone Nappa and Vegeta. In all honesty, I just don't know what to make of the nameless Namekian, and I'm starting to think I'd be better off leaving pre-Nail Piccolo off of my lists.
Your're misremembering, The Grand Elder wondered if the Nameless Namekian was defeated by a Super Saiyan before he read Kuririn's mind. Only after did he state that Piccolo(Nameless Namekian) might have survived the Saiyans, hadn't he diminished his power by half.

Which makes sense, Piccolo being twice as strong could probably defeat Nappa with teamwork, maybe even without, they would certainly hold Nappa long enough until Goku's arrival.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 pm

LightBing wrote:Your're misremembering, The Grand Elder wondered if the Nameless Namekian was defeated by a Super Saiyan before he read Kuririn's mind. Only after did he state that Piccolo(Nameless Namekian) might have survived the Saiyans, hadn't he diminished his power by half.

Which makes sense, Piccolo being twice as strong could probably defeat Nappa with teamwork, maybe even without, they would certainly hold Nappa long enough until Goku's arrival.
Well yeah, it makes sense that Piccolo might've survived if he was twice as strong. My point was that the Grand Elder was shocked that the nameless Namekian could be killed by a Saiyan, but when the guy actually split into two beings, both of them were only in the low to mid hundreds.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:
LightBing wrote:Your're misremembering, The Grand Elder wondered if the Nameless Namekian was defeated by a Super Saiyan before he read Kuririn's mind. Only after did he state that Piccolo(Nameless Namekian) might have survived the Saiyans, hadn't he diminished his power by half.

Well yeah, it makes sense that Piccolo might've survived if he was twice as strong. My point was that the Grand Elder was shocked that the nameless Namekian could be killed by a Saiyan, but when the guy actually split into two beings, both of them were only in the low to mid hundreds.
The Grand Elder assumed the Nameless Namekian was super powerful, clearly he was wrong and corrected himself later, since Nappa isn't even close to a Super Saiyan.

The Grand Elder was working on assumption when he had his initial reaction, the Nameless Namekian came to Earth as a child. It's unknown if the Grand Elder actually meet him or just heard of him and his potential, regardless that's what he was a well of potential which never realized itself until the Namek arc and beyond.

Earth has this effect it doesn't matter how many prodigal aliens you send there. They can only grow to the challenges they face and Earth didn't had much to offer.
Same thing happened to Goku, he maxed out at 4xx on Earth. But when you gave him the conditions of his birth planet he quickly rose to 8000 in power, which is much more in line with his actual potential.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 pm

LightBing wrote:The Grand Elder assumed the Nameless Namekian was super powerful, clearly he was wrong and corrected himself later, since Nappa isn't even close to a Super Saiyan.

The Grand Elder was working on assumption when he had his initial reaction, the Nameless Namekian came to Earth as a child. It's unknown if the Grand Elder actually meet him or just heard of him and his potential, regardless that's what he was a well of potential which never realized itself until the Namek arc and beyond.

Earth has this effect it doesn't matter how many prodigal aliens you send there. They can only grow to the challenges they face and Earth didn't had much to offer.
Same thing happened to Goku, he maxed out at 4xx on Earth. But when you gave him the conditions of his birth planet he quickly rose to 8000 in power, which is much more in line with his actual potential.
Fair enough. Even so, just because the split did diminish their power by half, doesn't mean that recombining would necessarily double Piccolo's power. If anything, a more direct interpretation of that line would be that recombining would just add their powers together, but that's obviously not the case.

At this point in time, I kinda figured that the split/fusion thing would work similar to how it played out with Majin Boo. When Majin Boo split into two beings, one good and one evil, it seemed that Boo's power was divided proportionally between the two of them. But when the two recombine with evil in charge, the new evil Boo is way stronger than the original fat one, despite being comprised to the same components. Greater than the sum of both parts and all that. The reason is different. Being primarily evil, Boo has access to most of the power that Grand Kaioshin sealed away, whereas Piccolo and God became semi-independent people and their reunion was more akin to a standard Namekian fusion.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 am

DanielSSJ wrote:Fair enough. Even so, just because the split did diminish their power by half, doesn't mean that recombining would necessarily double Piccolo's power. If anything, a more direct interpretation of that line would be that recombining would just add their powers together, but that's obviously not the case.

At this point in time, I kinda figured that the split/fusion thing would work similar to how it played out with Majin Boo. When Majin Boo split into two beings, one good and one evil, it seemed that Boo's power was divided proportionally between the two of them. But when the two recombine with evil in charge, the new evil Boo is way stronger than the original fat one, despite being comprised to the same components. Greater than the sum of both parts and all that. The reason is different. Being primarily evil, Boo has access to most of the power that Grand Kaioshin sealed away, whereas Piccolo and God became semi-independent people and their reunion was more akin to a standard Namekian fusion.
It wouldn't be a more direct interpretation. What the Grand Elder says is blatantly direct, there's nothing to interpret there. He read Kuririn's mind he's not going off on theories and he's easily one of the most wise and competent characters in all of Dragon Ball.

Unless you prove his statement is wrong, there's nothing else to say.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:51 pm

LightBing wrote:It wouldn't be a more direct interpretation. What the Grand Elder says is blatantly direct, there's nothing to interpret there. He read Kuririn's mind he's not going off on theories and he's easily one of the most wise and competent characters in all of Dragon Ball.

Unless you prove his statement is wrong, there's nothing else to say.
I'm not saying the Grand Elder is wrong. All he says is "He diminished by half the genius power with which he was gifted at birth!". He never says anything about them doubling in strength by recombining. That is your interpretation. Mine happens to be different.