MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/4/16!)

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:50 pm

I never notice that about Goku shoes I was more peeved about his dougi being changed in later arc
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 am

DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 6!

Dragon Ball mixes campiness with brutality with the arrival of the Ginyu Special Squadron, and Vegeta is convinced Goku must be the legendary... Super Soaker? I think? I dunno. I'm sure it's not going to be important.
The Patrolman wrote:I never notice that about Goku shoes I was more peeved about his dougi being changed in later arc
You mean the Cell Arc and beyond where he loses the kanji entirely?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 am

The Patrolman wrote:I never notice that about Goku shoes I was more peeved about his dougi being changed in later arc
You mean the Cell Arc and beyond where he loses the kanji entirely?[/quote]

Yes I do that dougi always irritates me for some reason

coola
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/16!)

Post by coola » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 am

Guess that difference in how Super Saiyan was written show, that there are things, that are almost impossible to translate into foreign language, not sure about other languages, but Polish version of manga translated Ginyu Force member names to make these puns more visible (Mleckor - Milker, Massuo - Burter, Sereck - Cheese, Kremms - Cream, Gurt - Yoghurt)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/16!)

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:59 am

I like the Guldo battle.

You know, I kind of wish that Recoome did die when Krillin made him eat his own attack and then Burter took over. Guy never got a solo fight.

A lot of this part is just a rehash. Goku arrives on Planet to save Gohan & Krillin from Nappa/Recoome, but loses to Vegeta/Ginyu and needs to be bailed out.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 6!

Dragon Ball mixes campiness with brutality with the arrival of the Ginyu Special Squadron, and Vegeta is convinced Goku must be the legendary... Super Soaker? I think? I dunno. I'm sure it's not going to be important.
You mean the Cell Arc and beyond where he loses the kanji entirely?
What, you mean this isn't going to be an episode about the second-best butt in fiction? 2/10.

Anyway, I really liked the Guldo fight. A battle fought and decided by factors other than power- Guldo has special abilities that let him defeat a stronger foe, but the Z-gang has numbers, so Vegeta waits for Guldo to be distracted with the shrimps and then jumps in and one-shots him with a surprise attack. A nice tactical moment for Vegeta, which goes along well with his last fight, where he defeated a peer foe with a dirty trick. Also a pretty brutal finisher; it's my favorite non-Buu kill in the manga.

I also love the Recoome fight. Teamwork and pragmatism actually do manage to cause quite a bit of damage to the big lug, who outmatches Vegeta and the others in every way. Sure, Recoome powers through it, but he looks severely screwed up by the end and is obviously quite injured. My favorite moments of the Namek arc might be Vegeta playing dead and blasting Recoome in the face + Krillin jumping in out of nowhere and getting Recoome to injure himself by plugging his mouth and making his Eraser Gun detonate prematurely.

On another note, Vegeta's best stretch of the story is pretty much everything between getting out of the healing tank and Piccolo showing up to fight Freeza. He's a slippery and dirty bastard who is above all pragmatic and brutal in combat. And his cunning lets him turn that into quite an edge.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:What, you mean this isn't going to be an episode about the second-best butt in fiction? 2/10.
Okay, I have to ask. Who has the best butt in fiction?
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:18 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:What, you mean this isn't going to be an episode about the second-best butt in fiction? 2/10.
Okay, I have to ask. Who has the best butt in fiction?
Nightwing

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/16!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:26 am

DBD: The Ultimate Decisive Battle for Earth

Based on the comments I've seen since I announced I'd be doing this movie, maybe it's more like the ultimate divisive movie on earth!

Ha... haha, haha...?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:57 am

In my opinion, it is one of worst DB movies, very bland and uninteresting villains, Z-warriors show up only to get their ass kicked, if they at least beat henchmen, i would place this movie higher on my list.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 am

My favorite movie behind BoG. The villains might be bland, but the Tree is the greatest idea ever, it needs to come to the actual series. I for one enjoyed how more brown the movie was, DBZ is such a bright series, a contrast from time to time is nice, and hey, everyone came out to play, instead of just Goku and the core 3 heroes.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:20 pm

You're the first person i've seen who likes the hire dragon stuff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Fun fact: despite being only sixty minutes--the length of three episodes--the third Dragon Ball Z film was so rushed during production that it had five storyboard artists (the average episode's storyboard is usually completed in three or four weeks). The film is storyboarded by Director Nishio Daisuke (series director of Dragon Ball Z), Yama'uchi Shigeyasu (director of Movies #8, #10, #12 and the Tenth Anniversary film as well as many of the best episodes of the television series), Ueda Yoshihiro, Hashimoto Mitsuo (Movie #13) and Orime Tatsuya. I imagine five storyboard artists were used so that the storyboard could be finished in under a month so as to buy more time for the twenty-three key animators assigned...although that makes me wonder why the other original seventeen films didn't need more than one storyboard artists...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:59 pm

I really agreed with your "Goku, nature vs nurture" thing. I wholeheartedly agree that Goku in the Saiyan arc is a much better character then his post Freeza saga self.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:57 am

I've only seen this movie. I just remember thinking it dragged. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Looks like you don't like Lord Slug. Sigh, I always thought it was underrated.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:15 pm

Finally saw this!

A few notes:

1. Another aspect of Tullece design that's really neat is that he has 2 extra strands of hair that resemble devil horns. (A tad to on the nose).
2. Apart from the uniform, it's interesting that Goku uses the Kaio-Ken x10, something that wouldn't be done in the manga for quite some time. In fact he only mentions it once and I guess they rolled with it in this movie.
3. A reason l put this movie in the "meh" category along with some other reasons you mentioned: So much of it is just scenery and establishing shots. I swear it felt like 1/4th of the movie was just exploring the setting. I get that that fits thematically since the Earth is being affected, but it just went overboard in my eyes.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Fun fact: despite being only sixty minutes--the length of three episodes--the third Dragon Ball Z film was so rushed during production that it had five storyboard artists (the average episode's storyboard is usually completed in three or four weeks). The film is storyboarded by Director Nishio Daisuke (series director of Dragon Ball Z), Yama'uchi Shigeyasu (director of Movies #8, #10, #12 and the Tenth Anniversary film as well as many of the best episodes of the television series), Ueda Yoshihiro, Hashimoto Mitsuo (Movie #13) and Orime Tatsuya. I imagine five storyboard artists were used so that the storyboard could be finished in under a month so as to buy more time for the twenty-three key animators assigned...although that makes me wonder why the other original seventeen films didn't need more than one storyboard artists...
See, this is why I need you or Ajay to tell me these things before I make a video. I'm not nearly as up on the production side of things as you guys are!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:32 pm

It's nuts. Kami to Kami had five or six storyboard artists, too. Yamamuro apparently storyboarded Fukkatsu no F alone in a month, too. Some boards are done extremely quickly, others not so much. I remember hearing that Yuasa Masa'aki boarded every episode of Ping Pong in ten days each. Given their complexity that is nuts.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Merry Christmas Mr. Gaffer.

You probably went over this in your review of the first arc, but did you read Journey to the West? I've been meaning to read it recently, and wanted to hear your thoughts if you read it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 am

DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 7!

Otherwise known as the episode where you all hate me because I tear into the Ginyu Special Squadron! I look forward to the kinds of intense debates this thread hasn't seen since the Piccolo Arc. =P
Kid Buu wrote:Merry Christmas Mr. Gaffer.

You probably went over this in your review of the first arc, but did you read Journey to the West? I've been meaning to read it recently, and wanted to hear your thoughts if you read it.
Merry Christmas to you too! While I've read synopses and other articles and works referencing it, I've never read the actual story itself as of yet, no.