MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/16!)

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:39 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 7!
Speaking of battle power inflation, I'm really looking forward to your opinion regarding the SS1 50 folds power up and what that meant for the series.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

coola
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/25/16!)

Post by coola » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:47 am

Merry Xmas good sir, and thank you for another great video :) I think Super Sentai/Tokusatsu parody would be much better, if they had some sort of combined attacks (With is one of reasons i love anime part of Ginyu Force battle more, Jheese and Burter had quite a few cool combined techniques) or maybe even introduce fusion here? Have five of them become one great warrior (He could be stronger than first form of Freeza, 10X Kaioken Goku could beat him, but he would need to be healed)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:46 am

Gaffer Tape, once again you make a lot of good points. I mean, I saw early on that Recoome was nothing more than a copy of Nappa, but I never put the pieces together that everything forward from the Ginyu's arrival was a copy of the Saiyan Saga.

And on to the Ginyu Force...Dammit you're so right. The Ginyu Force and the Heroes were two sides of the same coin, playing it straight, or playing it camp. Kind of blows the wind out of my sails, The Ginyu Force, is...was awesome. :yawn: Merry Christmas, I guess.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:47 am

Well I think the joke kinda worked when they had Ginyu do a pose, Goku copy him, and see it does absolutely nothing. I guess they needed to play up more on that joke to make the Ginyu's work better. Though yeah I kinda always did see it as a Nappa Rehash....but I never saw it as this much of a Nappa Rehash.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:53 pm

FoolsGil wrote:And on to the Ginyu Force...Dammit you're so right. The Ginyu Force and the Heroes were two sides of the same coin, playing it straight, or playing it camp. Kind of blows the wind out of my sails, The Ginyu Force, is...was awesome. :yawn: Merry Christmas, I guess.
I thought the Ginyus were just villains who's goofiness off-set how much of a real threat they were.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:09 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Well I think the joke kinda worked when they had Ginyu do a pose, Goku copy him, and see it does absolutely nothing. I guess they needed to play up more on that joke to make the Ginyu's work better. Though yeah I kinda always did see it as a Nappa Rehash....but I never saw it as this much of a Nappa Rehash.
That is funny... but it doesn't happen in the manga. Well, not in the manga's storyline, anyway. The anime takes that from a chapter title page. Although, yes, I do wish it had been in the story. It needed more moments like that, and I'll go ahead and say that the anime does them far more justice than the manga does. It doesn't fix any of the narrative and structural problems I feel they introduce, but they're quite a bit more fun.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:18 pm

matt0044 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:And on to the Ginyu Force...Dammit you're so right. The Ginyu Force and the Heroes were two sides of the same coin, playing it straight, or playing it camp. Kind of blows the wind out of my sails, The Ginyu Force, is...was awesome. :yawn: Merry Christmas, I guess.
I thought the Ginyus were just villains who's goofiness off-set how much of a real threat they were.
Well, I guess they still do that. Good point.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/16!)

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:18 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Speaking of battle power inflation, I'm really looking forward to your opinion regarding the SS1 50 folds power up and what that meant for the series.
Not that it has to stop Gaffer Tape, but he doesn't necessarily have to address that tidbit about Super Saiyan. It's not referenced in the original story. It was declared in Daizenshuu 7's battle power chart published February 5, 1996, well after Toriyama was done writing the original story.
Daizenshuu 7, pg 83 wrote:The warrior of legend, the Super Saiyan, finally awakens. In addition to having battle power 50 times that of his normal state, he now overwhelms even Freeza.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:35 am

FoolsGil wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
Well, I guess they still do that. Good point.
Hell, I get a kick out of how they're so casual about their immense power and treat it like a game of murdering people where they got to the point of just making the most of it.

In the Buu Saga, it seems to be the same... but by that point, DBZ seemed to be parodying itself and it feels like poetic justice in that sense.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:06 pm

You make a fascinating point about the Ginyu Force but here is the thing. The Ginyu Force is a parody of a series that used to be a parody. The way the do their poses and how the warriors react to me is a bit self awareness as how ridiculous they are. It also is a running trope in the series of don't judge by appearance because when we first see them they look ridiculous but in reality they are dangerous.

But the parallels to this and Saiyan arc is spot on
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:54 am

Yeah, this is where the arc starts to get boring. It's just a lot of different fights in a row. I liked the earlier aspect where it was more of an adventure and the protagonists had to be smart due to being weaker. Plus like you said a lot the Ginyu Force/Freeza fight is just a rehash of what happens in the Saiyan Saga.

EDIT: I always liked how Freeza makes Guldo roll over with a finger beam in the cartoon. :lol:
Last edited by Kid Buu on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 am

Kid Buu wrote:Yeah, this is where the arc starts to get boring. It's just a lot of different fights in a row. I liked the earlier aspect where it was more of an adventure and the protagonists had to be smart due to being weaker.
The fight with Freeza is literally half the arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:09 am

You know I kinda liked Gohan/Krillin fighting second form Freeza, since Freeza actually does come across as terrifying there.

But the instant Piccolo shows up it turns into a constant string of pointless power-ups and padding.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:24 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Yeah, this is where the arc starts to get boring. It's just a lot of different fights in a row. I liked the earlier aspect where it was more of an adventure and the protagonists had to be smart due to being weaker.
About 2/5's of it anyway. Astounding how saying half is only barely an exaggeration. Yeah, the Freeza Arc lost me just once Goku started fighting Freeza. Unfortunate destination for an otherwise fascinating story.
Retired.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
About 2/5's of it anyway. Astounding how saying half is only barely an exaggeration. Yeah, the Freeza Arc lost me just once Goku started fighting Freeza. Unfortunate destination for an otherwise fascinating story.
I was counting everything from Freeza and Vegeta grappling to Namek exploding as being part of that fight, and everything from touchdown on Namek to the reveal of Goku's survival as the arc. In that case, it's about half of the arc in the manga. And I think it might be the majority of the arc in the anime.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:12 am

BTW Gaffer, when going over similarities between the Vegeta and Ginyu stuff, I'm surprised you didn't mention another specific detail: Goku goes up against the boss, appears to be losing even though the boss isn't using his full power, then whips out Kaio-Ken and decisively surpasses the boss, forcing the boss to whip out his aforementioned special technique.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:29 am

I wonder what's longer. Everything you just mentioned or everything from Super Buu Vs. Gotenks to the death of Buu?

Might have to look it up in the morning.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 6/5/15!

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 am

So... When DBD TV 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 am

DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 8!

Dragon Ball Dissection December once again comes to a close, and once again, I somehow managed to survive it! At any rate, wishes are made, and with wishes come big, stupid mistakes and letdowns!
Noah wrote:So... When DBD TV 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc?
Not until after the Freeza Arc, but this video does announce another TV-related video...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Freeza Arc Part 8!

Dragon Ball Dissection December once again comes to a close, and once again, I somehow managed to survive it! At any rate, wishes are made, and with wishes come big, stupid mistakes and letdowns!
Noah wrote:So... When DBD TV 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc?
Not until after the Freeza Arc, but this video does announce another TV-related video...
On your comment about the villains' few acts of mercy screwing them (not that I'd call sparing Dende "mercy", more laziness), I thought that the best time Freeza got screwed over was when he figured out that he didn't know the Namekian language, so he couldn't actually use the Dragon Balls, and everyone who did know it was indisposed. At that point it didn't even matter if the heroes beat him. His whole plan was done in purely because he was too much of a dumb thug to take any approach to non-compliance other than "kill everyone".
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: