MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/17!)

Post by thaman91 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Great video. I always enjoy watching this series! Although the bit about training on an island might not be entirely true. Gohan is on the island and then builds a raft to escape from it. Then, at the end of the children episode, he runs home, then runs back into the woods, and then meets Piccolo to start training. So it might not be too far fetched that Goku's space pod would be in the vicinity of where Gohan and Piccolo are training. But that's just a minor thing as the rest of that entire idea doesn't really make sense, as you said.

Question: what source did you use for your anime screenshots? They don't look like any release I'm familiar with.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 pm

thaman91 wrote:Great video. I always enjoy watching this series! Although the bit about training on an island might not be entirely true. Gohan is on the island and then builds a raft to escape from it. Then, at the end of the children episode, he runs home, then runs back into the woods, and then meets Piccolo to start training. So it might not be too far fetched that Goku's space pod would be in the vicinity of where Gohan and Piccolo are training. But that's just a minor thing as the rest of that entire idea doesn't really make sense, as you said.

Question: what source did you use for your anime screenshots? They don't look like any release I'm familiar with.
The TV series continues to show they're on an island throughout the fight with the Saiyans, and we know the Saiyans went to the area where Gohan and Piccolo were training. So while it is certainly possible they went somewhere else and then came back or were on multiple islands, it definitely heavily suggests they stay in the same place.

As for the footage, for the first (and only, naturally) time, I used the Level sets.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Curious thing about that plot hole regarding Goku's spaceship, I seem to recall the Portuguese dub actually had Dr Brief say that it was in pieces, but that he'd been able to salvage enough of it to build the version he took to Namek.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Puto wrote:Curious thing about that plot hole regarding Goku's spaceship, I seem to recall the Portuguese dub actually had Dr Brief say that it was in pieces, but that he'd been able to salvage enough of it to build the version he took to Namek.
That was actually in the Japanese version as well, believe it or not. People don't seem to remember that bit. It's Episode 46 around 15:20ish for anyone who doesn't believe me and wants to double check.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm

So yeah, not a plot hole.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am

Freeza Loves Papa - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 1!

The Cell Arc begins with more Freeza! Or is it that The Freeza Arc continues with less Cell? I don't even know. Look, Freeza dies. For real this time. He's never, ever coming back. I swear...
OmegaRockman wrote:
Puto wrote:Curious thing about that plot hole regarding Goku's spaceship, I seem to recall the Portuguese dub actually had Dr Brief say that it was in pieces, but that he'd been able to salvage enough of it to build the version he took to Namek.
That was actually in the Japanese version as well, believe it or not. People don't seem to remember that bit. It's Episode 46 around 15:20ish for anyone who doesn't believe me and wants to double check.
I think I might have misremembered that line as having been in the manga too. But I still don't think it really works. It's one of those "voodoo shark" moments that tries to cover up a plot hole, but if you really think about it, ends up calling attention to the plot hole instead. Because in both versions of dialogue, Goku brings up his own ship by comparing it to Raditz's, and how it couldn't have been used because Gohan broke it. But in the anime, Raditz's ship ends up far more intact than Goku's ship! In the manga, the comparison makes some sense, as Goku's pod would at least presumably be intact. But here, we're supposed to believe that the new ship with a hole in it is somehow less salvageable than the 25-year-old ship that's been exploded into nothing! I dunno. That's just my thought.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/17!)

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Freeza Loves Papa - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 1!

The Cell Arc begins with more Freeza! Or is it that The Freeza Arc continues with less Cell? I don't even know. Look, Freeza dies. For real this time. He's never, ever coming back. I swear...
Great video, Gaffer Tape.

I do agree that King Cold was character that didn't need to exist. His appearance really does make you question Freeza's standing in his own empire and in the greater scale of the universe. Regardless, yes, everything about Future Trunks' appearance and actions are amazing. The mystery, the stakes, the intrigue... it's all brilliant. But good God... does this arc absolutely implode after that amazing set up...

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:22 am

Damn dude, your editing has been great recently. Great content.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 am

I think the one thing Cold added was that in the anime they embellish Trunks becoming a super saiyan a little more, and the different reactions of Frieza and Cold are interesting. I like the bit where Frieza is stepping backwards but Cold is just standing there; Cold is concerned and guarded, whereas Frieza is having PTSD. Cold's merely been told about the super saiyan, whereas Frieza knows it first hand. Cold is almost the fear equivalent of the "straight man" in a comedic duo here.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am

Great video.
    -King cold was a character that always bother me when i watching dbz first mostly how pointless he was,glad i wasn't the only who don't like the idea of frieza having a dad.
      -Piccolo not caring for the namekians truly how worthless his journey was to namek :lol:.
        -Now things will get stupider as time progresses,let's see if you will survive vegeta obnoxious personality and stupid decision left to right.
          For real how can someone king cold a worthy addition when you already established a formidable foe previously,any answer on that.
          Mostly active on discord.

coola
          I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am

Once again, great video, i also think Cold was pointless character. As for Freeza, i think he could control KI, after he transformed into his 2nd form, he raised his KI after Gohan outburst and fight with Piccolo, he just cant sense it. One of old Gameboy games, Goku Gekitouden, had characters like Ginyu and Freeza, raise thier KI when they attack :)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLpNZs9MFk
          My Twitter: @kamil198811
          Bulma fan
          Thanks to Discotek:
          Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
          Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

OmegaRockman
          Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Freeza Loves Papa - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 1!

OmegaRockman wrote:
          I think I might have misremembered that line as having been in the manga too. But I still don't think it really works. It's one of those "voodoo shark" moments that tries to cover up a plot hole, but if you really think about it, ends up calling attention to the plot hole instead. Because in both versions of dialogue, Goku brings up his own ship by comparing it to Raditz's, and how it couldn't have been used because Gohan broke it. But in the anime, Raditz's ship ends up far more intact than Goku's ship! In the manga, the comparison makes some sense, as Goku's pod would at least presumably be intact. But here, we're supposed to believe that the new ship with a hole in it is somehow less salvageable than the 25-year-old ship that's been exploded into nothing! I dunno. That's just my thought.
          That's perfectly fair. It does come off more as the anime staff realizing "Oh, shit! We dun goofed and we need to fix this NOW!" than anything, and their attempted one-line handwave doesn't really work that well like you said. I guess one could say that Dr. Brief used Goku's busted up ship anyway because he was already there under the assumption that he'd find it intact - it may be destroyed, but we might as well load it up and use what we can so the trip isn't a complete waste, right? It would have probably made more sense if he'd mentioned using parts of Raditz's ship as well. They probably didn't think about it since they were in a rush to put a quick band-aid on the issue so they could move on. Ultimately, I'd probably consider it more of a plot contrivance to fix a plot hole than a plot hole in and of itself, but that's getting into semantics. Either way, I agree that it's a dumb cover-up to justify the existence of a dumb filler plot.
          The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MR.Mark
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

Great video, Gaffer Tape.

I do agree that King Cold was character that didn't need to exist. His appearance really does make you question Freeza's standing in his own empire and in the greater scale of the universe. Regardless, yes, everything about Future Trunks' appearance and actions are amazing. The mystery, the stakes, the intrigue... it's all brilliant. But good God... does this arc absolutely implode after that amazing set up...
          Indeed, a good way to sum up a lot of it is missed opportunity. A little background on Cold so we could learn more about Freeza and his past would of been nice.

jcogginsa
          Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:52 am

Cold does serve one function: He brings Freeza back into the story.

Given the state we saw Freeza in at the end of the Freeza arc, he'd need assistance to get back on his feet. Since he'd need new feet, etc.

It couldn't be one of his Henchmen, since most of them would be either too afraid to want him back, or too self-interested to want him back. Freeza isn't the type that people would fall in love with, and is unlikely to tolerate a gold digger riding his coat tails. So a family member is the only viable option.

While your correct that Kold being a king is a complication, it can still be explained. The most likely scenario is the King Kold rules their home planet, whilst Freeza runs the PTO as an independent body. Freeza is still the prince of the planet, but both of them understand who is really in charge

Fizzer
          Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 am

It's an interesting situation with Cold. If he's going to be included, I would have liked to know more about who he is - is he a shadow figure who rules the universe through his son, did Freeza make him the king of something but is still on top?

It probably would have been better if Freeza alone had returned, bring revived by some royal followers after most of them abandoned their posts and descended into anarchy, or Freeza hadn't returned at all, only Cold and Coola arriving to avenge him (with the gang originally thinking it was Freeza due to sensing their energy).

I do prefer the first option though, as it keeps Freeza mysterious and doesn't introduce another being on the same level of power as him who's just always been out there.

matt0044
          Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 am

I do wonder if Cold was a case of Toriyama wanting to make a bigger battle than before... only to lose interest and just move on from battles when he had recently capped off one of his biggest yet.

Gray Riders
          Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:59 am

I love the new intro.
          *The comment on the Raditz jokes is something I've thought about before. I wonder if he's a joke in the Japanese fandom (where he's just the latest in a line of scary then surpassed villains) or if it's another result of many English-speaking fans seeing the series out of order, so Raditz stands out. I mean, I don't really see jokes like that about Tao Pai Pai or Tambourine, and both were surpassed and humiliated way worse than Raditz.
          *Yeah, Cold raises so many unnecessary questions. I actually like him, though. He doesn't really add anything but I find him a fun character during his brief screen time and the questions he raises makes the universe feel bigger to me.
          *In my re-read this year I noticed the same thing with Tenshinhan and the others seemingly being made to look bad during the Trunks section, and wondered as well if it was because Toriyama was planning to mostly phase them out. I think part of the scene where Vegeta tells them off is part of the general attempt to build Vegeta up as a fighting genius--something that increasingly turns into "just take my word for it" as he continually makes terrible decisions both in and out of battle.

I agree there's definitely a targeted "character assassination" of Yamcha going on here, though. Can't have the fans feel too sorry for him when his long-term girlfriend randomly leaves him for the serial killer on a scale earth history cannot possibly hope to match! And you know what? It worked! Look how much some fans hate Yamcha and cheered when Toriyama confirmed he DID cheat on Bulma and she wasn't lying about it to Trunks.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Look how much some fans hate Yamcha and cheered when Toriyama confirmed he DID cheat on Bulma and she wasn't lying about it to Trunks.
          Wait, that was confirmed out-of-universe?
          My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Olympian
          Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Appearantly there`s info about Toryama randomly repying to Yamcha`s VA at the time that he obviously cheated.

And then on breakdowns regarding "Super", mentions Yamcha is still shy arond women again. He has no consistant handle on what the status is supposed to be because he just makes merry along. Trunks wasn`t plot necessity of his part, it was a marketing move.

Disclaimer: I like Trunks, just saying.
          Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 pm

jcogginsa wrote:Cold does serve one function: He brings Freeza back into the story.

Given the state we saw Freeza in at the end of the Freeza arc, he'd need assistance to get back on his feet. Since he'd need new feet, etc.

It couldn't be one of his Henchmen, since most of them would be either too afraid to want him back, or too self-interested to want him back. Freeza isn't the type that people would fall in love with, and is unlikely to tolerate a gold digger riding his coat tails. So a family member is the only viable option.

While your correct that Kold being a king is a complication, it can still be explained. The most likely scenario is the King Kold rules their home planet, whilst Freeza runs the PTO as an independent body. Freeza is still the prince of the planet, but both of them understand who is really in charge
          Worked OK in ROF.

I don't hate Kold, but the problem is his existence only brings more questions than answers. He looks a lot like his son, he says they have a clan etc. Is Cold a mutation of a race of now dead aliens? Is Freeza really the result of yet another asexual reproduction? Or is/was there a misses Kold? I kinda wish Toriyama would change his mind and confirm there are/was females in the race for variety sake.
          Last edited by MR.Mark on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.