MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 6/5/15!

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:37 am

Makes you wonder how things would be if Freeza did spare them.

Namekieans: Well you need us to summon the Dragon and make the wish.
Freeza: Fine, but after this you're dead.
Namkieans: (in their language) teleport those fuckers to the Sun!

EDIT: And yes, Piccolo be dumb.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/31/16!)

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:44 am

Yeah, Piccolo's not too smart.

I also love how literally no one gives a shit about Chaozu. :lol:
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:45 am

Oh next time is gonna be so good. I can not wait for that one. It'd be cool to even touch upon the other supplementary material a bit such as Online, Xenoverse 2, etc. Bardock's been getting around lately.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:48 am

Finished the video. The part where Freeza impales Krillin quite creepy. Like I said before I thought the fight was good until he announces he has two more transformation, then it just starts to feel pointless.

Oh and congrats on making so many videos in 2016.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Yeah, Piccolo's not too smart.

Recently I've been trying to rationalize Buu absorbing Piccolo for his intelligence and I think it kinda makes sense now. Buu's only judging Piccolo by his own interactions with him, and Buu Saga Piccolo does seem to be smarter than his usual self.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 am

I was under the impression that the only reason Nail told Freeza that he was too late was because he didn't want Freeza to go after the Grand Elder next and torture him. That would render the chance of them getting their wishes granted down to zero anyways so he might as well go with the option that gives the heroes some hope and keeps the Grand Elder alive.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Regarding goku's thoughts on sparing enemies: I don't think it's out of character for Goku to want to spare Burter and Recoome. They're already 'defeated' in his eyes, so beating them would just be Murder, not a fight.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:08 pm

When it comes to killing, I always found it weird he had no problem wiping out the RR as a child, but will spare any joe blow as an adult.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

FoolsGil wrote:When it comes to killing, I always found it weird he had no problem wiping out the RR as a child, but will spare any joe blow as an adult.
Goku is not the same person he was as a kid. For one thing, he's received training from at least two gods since then

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Finished the video. The part where Freeza impales Krillin quite creepy. Like I said before I thought the fight was good until he announces he has two more transformation, then it just starts to feel pointless.

Oh and congrats on making so many videos in 2016.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Yeah, Piccolo's not too smart.

Recently I've been trying to rationalize Buu absorbing Piccolo for his intelligence and I think it kinda makes sense now. Buu's only judging Piccolo by his own interactions with him, and Buu Saga Piccolo does seem to be smarter than his usual self.
To be fair, Piccolo seemed to have gotten a lot more knowledgeable and wise after merging with Kami.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:39 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:When it comes to killing, I always found it weird he had no problem wiping out the RR as a child, but will spare any joe blow as an adult.
Goku is not the same person he was as a kid. For one thing, he's received training from at least two gods since then
Their worthless incompetence must've rubbed off on him pretty well to turn him a guy who's got no problems killing bad guys to a guy who stupidly spares bad guys.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:04 pm

So bummed out we gotta wait for more.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:So bummed out we gotta wait for more.
Would have been fitting if he took a hiatus after the Recoome fight instead.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:
Their worthless incompetence must've rubbed off on him pretty well to turn him a guy who's got no problems killing bad guys to a guy who stupidly spares bad guys.
Kaio is competent.
Kid Buu wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:So bummed out we gotta wait for more.
Would have been fitting if he took a hiatus after the Recoome fight instead.
I think this is a natural place to stop, right at the beginning of the Freeza fight. That's basically half the arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/25/1

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Saiyan Arc Part 7!
So... I've been watching your videos since I got back reading the manga in that part. You said Piccolo lost his lost his usefulness in this very arc, really? You thought he was
dispensable in Freeza and Cell arcs?

And about Toriyama wanting to kill his characters just because he grow tired of writting them, it makes sense. I personally think he doesn't like Yamcha at all, but if some point he didn't like Tenshinhan it seems nowadays that he changed his mind (BoG, RoF, Super new arc). Interesting isn't? I wonder what made he changed his mind :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Like I said before I thought the fight was good until he announces he has two more transformation, then it just starts to feel pointless.
Well, it's point was to be people beating each other up so in that regard...

Though if going by the Anime where the fight is stretched out like the world's most unbreakable Taffy, yes, it got boring and created the whole "dragged outshonen battle" stereotype following Goku vs. Vegeta. Really, Dragon Ball (Z) Kai did it more justice by tightening up the pacing to a reasonable length (though they could've shaved off a bit more).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 am

Noah wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Saiyan Arc Part 7!
So... I've been watching your videos since I got back reading the manga in that part. You said Piccolo lost his lost his usefulness in this very arc, really? You thought he was
dispensable in Freeza and Cell arcs?
Oh, yes. Definitely. As I set up in the most recent video with the line "This had better be worth it" in regards to Nail only existing as a power-up for Piccolo, the answer to that statement is "It's not". Piccolo has nothing to do with the story and contributes next to nothing. The few things he does "accomplish" would have been better served being handed over to the characters the arc is actually about rather than forcing him into the story. And, really, none of those things couldn't have been done by somebody else. He's given this enormous build-up only for the result to fall flaccid in his hands.

The Cell Arc has him be a little more integral to the plot, but it still suffers from giving him a huge power-up that really amounts to nothing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Piccolo has nothing to do with the story and contributes next to nothing.
People often seem to take these things for granted on account for them finding the action cool or whatever. That or too much nostalgia for the DBZ Anime.

I guess the most Piccolo does get done is force Freeza into his third and fourth forms, the latter being everyone's favorite, even if Vegeta would've barely been a match for him. It does seems like Piccolo's return was like Bulma coming to space in terms of Toriyama's "It seemed good at the time" ideas. It makes for a decent enough fight but with Goku's inevitable return, well...

Mangaka really are at a disadvantage when it comes to lacking long-term planning compared to novelists, huh? Toriyama's famous for his writing by the seat of his pants style but that's due to the deadlines that comes in the Manga industry. Many other creators follow this pattern, leading to either brilliant storytelling or very poor choices that show.

Hell, I think the whole one-on-one fight thing is because Toriyama has trouble focusing on two character fighting together. As a Pokemon fanfic writer, I get the struggle but it's not impossible. Hell, it came make for some inventive battles.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Did you ever talk about retconning or the like with how it turns out Goku's a Saiyan? I forget.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm

matt0044 wrote:Did you ever talk about retconning or the like with how it turns out Goku's a Saiyan? I forget.
I believe he did during the Saiyan Arc videos. He says that despite being a retcon, the new information fits surprisingly well with what we already knew, e.i. things like Goku stating outright that Grandpa Gohan had found him, and how the Muten Roshi remembers Gohan telling him about the boy with a tail that he found, all of which was exposited during the first arc of the series. Heck, after transforming into a Great Ape, Oolong even says "What is he, some kind of space alien?"
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 am

I'm gonna be sad that we won't get one in a bit but Lance needs more time!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ