MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/13/17!)

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Awesome dissection as usual. I've always resented Episode Of Bardock and everything it stands for. It really is a case of terrible fanservice. Sadly, in terms revisionist content, Dragon Ball Minus, a Toriyama creation no-less, would be far, far, far more detrimental in terms of its... unfortunate implications.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Cipher wrote: This is the first video in this series covering the post-2011 revival, right? It's like stepping into a bizarro world. You covered everything thoroughly, but I almost feel like that transition was undersold, and maybe can't be oversold.
Yeah, this is the first time I've stepped into that era. I get what you mean, but I won't be staying long. I just wanted to cover what I consider the three main Bardock stories at once simply because of how they fit together, how different their goals are, and what they accomplish (or fail to accomplish).
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Off-topic, but what are your thoughts on Toyotarou? Like Ooishi, he too reached official status and I was wondering what do you think about his work?
The gr wrote:what is your opinion on toyotaro since he is a fanboy that also got the official status. Because I saw in your Twitter that your gonna pick up dragon Ball super volume 1, your gonna be disappointed Because it skipped your favorite movie ressurection f :o
Unfortunately, I can't say anything because I have yet to read any of his work. It took me a year just to catch up on the animated version of Super. I'm waiting until the Viz physical release to start working on the manga.
Gokuman1993 wrote: Though, I gotta ask, even though you're probably already going to mention this in that video, do you think the character of Gine could be....salvaged? Like, IMO she's actually pretty interesting as both an idea of Goku's mom and a Saiyan who didn't follow the norm of being a sociopathic, murderous fight junkie but it seems that potential was squandered by the story, which would be pretty damn dark if Bardock was more like how was portrayed in the Bardock Special (damn, come to think of it, Dragon Ball Minus would be a effin' tragedy, almost more so than the Bardock special....) I dunno, what do you think?
I don't know. Part of what annoyed me before I even read it was that they made Goku's mom a special snowflake. It seemed to me to detract from Goku. I liked that he was the anomaly. I don't like it being implied that there's anything special about him because of his parents. But if they had made her a very compelling character with a fascinating story, I might have been able to look past that, kind of like how I do with the Bardock special.
The gr wrote:Is it really necessary Gaffer tappe to make a DB minus video,is only 10 Pages long, you should Have at least review minus and episode of Bardock at the same time
As I said above to Cipher, I feel each of the Bardock stories is so different and tries to accomplish such different things that they need to be separate videos. Absolutely. Then there's the fact that this video is already the longest Dragon Ball Dissection ever made. I shudder to think how long this would be if I put both of them together.
jcogginsa wrote:Insightful as always.

That said, I do have a question: Suppose you had been tasked with writing a promotional story about Bardock unlocking the Super Saiyan Form. Is there any way you think it could be done whilst preserving the tragic nature of Bardock's character?
I like to maintain the philosophy that any story can work if you tell it well. However, Bardock becoming a Super Saiyan just seems so antithetical to his character that I have a hard time imagining how it could possibly happen without undermining the entire point of his story. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would have to be very creative and not just a paint by the numbers Freeza-clone-fight. If I have to come up with some idea just off the top of my head, I'm actually thinking about that Yamucha comic where the guy gets dropped into Dragon Ball, becomes Yamucha, and knows in advance how it's going to turn out. Say that after Bardock died, either through divine punishment or a side effect of his Kanassan abilities, he was forced to relive the same time period of the special again and had to come up with a different plan until he was able to not die. Otherwise he'd keep reliving it. Sort of like Groundhog Day but taken seriously. I guess maybe more Majora's Mask. And he eventually realizes that becoming this "Super Saiyan" would be the only way to defeat Freeza. But he only has a day to do it. But he has an infinite number of chances to figure out how to best use his time.

I don't know. I literally just made that up off the top of my head.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Totamo wrote:Episode of bardock was one of the first new pieces of dragon ball I ever saw and it was the first time I had actually hated a dragon ball material.

I would later watch Gt, Evolution and bio broly that same year.................I almost gave up dragon ball after that.
Tbf, GT isn't terrible. Not great, but fine.
Oh shit, I just notice I didn't resub to you after I got a new YT channel.
GT was not terribly written, it bored me which is worse.

It didn't expand the dragon Ball story, it took crap from the past and made arcs out of them. Goku being kid was stupid and done purely because he was too strong and for nostalgia which I have no issue with but Goku still oneshotted everything and he didn't have a real challenge unti Baby.............Vegeta

GT is a merry-go-round, it doesn't get better and it doesn't get worse. The flaws stay the same throughout the entire thing and that's what sucks about.

Oh and Goku ditches his family for 100 years and doesn't tell them or us why and I don't care for fan explanations or theories. Unless the show says it, I don't buy it.

But if you love it that's cool

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Cipher wrote: This is the first video in this series covering the post-2011 revival, right? It's like stepping into a bizarro world. You covered everything thoroughly, but I almost feel like that transition was undersold, and maybe can't be oversold.
Yeah, this is the first time I've stepped into that era. I get what you mean, but I won't be staying long. I just wanted to cover what I consider the three main Bardock stories at once simply because of how they fit together, how different their goals are, and what they accomplish (or fail to accomplish).
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Off-topic, but what are your thoughts on Toyotarou? Like Ooishi, he too reached official status and I was wondering what do you think about his work?
The gr wrote:what is your opinion on toyotaro since he is a fanboy that also got the official status. Because I saw in your Twitter that your gonna pick up dragon Ball super volume 1, your gonna be disappointed Because it skipped your favorite movie ressurection f :o
Unfortunately, I can't say anything because I have yet to read any of his work. It took me a year just to catch up on the animated version of Super. I'm waiting until the Viz physical release to start working on the manga.
Gokuman1993 wrote: Though, I gotta ask, even though you're probably already going to mention this in that video, do you think the character of Gine could be....salvaged? Like, IMO she's actually pretty interesting as both an idea of Goku's mom and a Saiyan who didn't follow the norm of being a sociopathic, murderous fight junkie but it seems that potential was squandered by the story, which would be pretty damn dark if Bardock was more like how was portrayed in the Bardock Special (damn, come to think of it, Dragon Ball Minus would be a effin' tragedy, almost more so than the Bardock special....) I dunno, what do you think?
I don't know. Part of what annoyed me before I even read it was that they made Goku's mom a special snowflake. It seemed to me to detract from Goku. I liked that he was the anomaly. I don't like it being implied that there's anything special about him because of his parents. But if they had made her a very compelling character with a fascinating story, I might have been able to look past that, kind of like how I do with the Bardock special.
The gr wrote:Is it really necessary Gaffer tappe to make a DB minus video,is only 10 Pages long, you should Have at least review minus and episode of Bardock at the same time
As I said above to Cipher, I feel each of the Bardock stories is so different and tries to accomplish such different things that they need to be separate videos. Absolutely. Then there's the fact that this video is already the longest Dragon Ball Dissection ever made. I shudder to think how long this would be if I put both of them together.

That said, I do have a question: Suppose you had been tasked with writing a promotional story about Bardock unlocking the Super Saiyan Form. Is there any way you think it could be done whilst preserving the tragic nature of Bardock's character?
I like to maintain the philosophy that any story can work if you tell it well. However, Bardock becoming a Super Saiyan just seems so antithetical to his character that I have a hard time imagining how it could possibly happen without undermining the entire point of his story. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would have to be very creative and not just a paint by the numbers Freeza-clone-fight. If I have to come up with some idea just off the top of my head, I'm actually thinking about that Yamucha comic where the guy gets dropped into Dragon Ball, becomes Yamucha, and knows in advance how it's going to turn out. Say that after Bardock died, either through divine punishment or a side effect of his Kanassan abilities, he was forced to relive the same time period of the special again and had to come up with a different plan until he was able to not die. Otherwise he'd keep reliving it. Sort of like Groundhog Day but taken seriously. I guess maybe more Majora's Mask. And he eventually realizes that becoming this "Super Saiyan" would be the only way to defeat Freeza. But he only has a day to do it. But he has an infinite number of chances to figure out how to best use his time.

I don't know. I literally just made that up off the top of my head.
That's an interesting idea.

My own thoughts on it would be to expand the story to be an indictment of the Saiyan race itself. Cast Bardock as the quintessential Saiyan. Not the best, but the one you could point to in order to show what a Saiyan is. And in the end, he achieves the epitome of what a Saiyan is, and it's not enough to achieve anything. He can't beat Frieza, he can't save his world.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Well... there is a lot to unpack about it. In particular, why Toriyama even bothered with it, how fans regard it in terms of "canon" and whether one should ignore it or lick it up.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm

Totamo wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Totamo wrote:Episode of bardock was one of the first new pieces of dragon ball I ever saw and it was the first time I had actually hated a dragon ball material.

I would later watch Gt, Evolution and bio broly that same year.................I almost gave up dragon ball after that.
Tbf, GT isn't terrible. Not great, but fine.

It didn't expand the dragon Ball story, it took crap from the past and made arcs out of them. Goku being kid was stupid and done purely because he was too strong and for nostalgia which I have no issue with but Goku still oneshotted everything and he didn't have a real challenge unti Baby.............Vegeta

GT is a merry-go-round, it doesn't get better and it doesn't get worse. The flaws stay the same throughout the entire thing and that's what sucks about.

Oh and Goku ditches his family for 100 years and doesn't tell them or us why and I don't care for fan explanations or theories. Unless the show says it, I don't buy it.

That's fair. I legitimately enjoyed GT, but that's just me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: Tbf, GT isn't terrible. Not great, but fine.

That's fair. I legitimately enjoyed GT, but that's just me.
I can completely understand those who like GT and I will say that a lot of things it did that people hate, Z did too.

Bar none, GT has the least amount of plotholes, inconsistencies and contrivances out of ball, Z and super.

It just didn't give me what I wanted for dragon Ball.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 pm

I'd go a Groundhog style story line, where Bardock goes back in time to relive the last day(s) of Planet Vegeta over and over again, and no matter what he does, he ends up dying, driving home the futility of his actions. Turns out he's living his own version of hell.
Gaffer Tape wrote: Say that after Bardock died, either through divine punishment or a side effect of his Kanassan abilities, he was forced to relive the same time period of the special again and had to come up with a different plan until he was able to not die. Otherwise he'd keep reliving it. Sort of like Groundhog Day but taken seriously. I guess maybe more Majora's Mask. And he eventually realizes that becoming this "Super Saiyan" would be the only way to defeat Freeza. But he only has a day to do it. But he has an infinite number of chances to figure out how to best use his time.
Okay, I swear I didn't see this before I wrote my own response.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Well... there is a lot to unpack about it. In particular, why Toriyama even bothered with it, how fans regard it in terms of "canon" and whether one should ignore it or lick it up.
Mistarefusion already told me the reason on why he is doing a separate video on DB minus, despite having only 10 pages,is really a big deal in the community​, unlike episode of Bardock, this is hard to ignore because toriyama wrote this
Mostly active on discord.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Sad thing is, Freeza didn't even remember his name, and that what make Bardock special, by making him (probably) 1st SSJ, and all this crap in Minus, completely ruined his character :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am

coola wrote:Sad thing is, Freeza didn't even remember his name, and that what make Bardock special, by making him (probably) 1st SSJ, and all this crap in Minus, completely ruined his character :(
Why do you think it's called Dragon Ball MINUS? :lolno:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 5/1/17!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm

DBD: Dragon Ball Minus

Prepare for the longest and angriest Dragon Ball Dissection episode yet. You've been warned! Although a lot of this comes from the endless forum posts I've made on the subject, I look forward to hearing your responses, especially from fans of Minus.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Well, I posted some of this on Youtube, might as well put it more appropriately here (but with additions to complete my thought post finishing the video).

"I always viewed Dragon Ball Minus as Toriyama illustrating a checklist of story/character beats for a comic he felt too dead physically to do. Introduce Bardock doing Saiyan job of killing to take planets, Introduce Freeza's fear of Super Saiyans and bringing them together to wipe them out, show some of Saiyan civilization, show Bardock's relationship with his family to contrast his violent career, have Bardock grow suspicious at Freeza's odd request using his instincts, send son off to save him, etc.

Toriyama basically said just doing the one volume of Jaco nearly killed him. So it doesn't surprise me he didn't do more. Maybe in an alternate universe, we could have gotten a one volume Bardock manga exploring things in detail.

Honestly, I liked the idea of Bardock having some humanity in his love for his family even as he gave zero fucks at murdering innocent aliens (a nice contrast that lets him be a villain, but be one with a little depth). I also liked that Freeza planned out the death of the Saiyans, because it was a massive coincidence that all but four Saiyans happened to be on planet when he randomly decided to blow it up given the race were basically planet-conquering space pirates. I especially liked the idea of Bardock figuring out something was amiss rather than Psychic Powers telling him. Imagine in a full-length manga building up Bardock's suspicions, a slight doubt ballooning outward as the more he investigates, the more he realizes the truth, but everyone else just writes him off as paranoid without solid proof, so he saves his son the only way he can.

So much potential...but I suppose that's life. Not every idea gets the nurturing it needs to grow into something interesting."

You are 100% right in that Dragon Ball Minus is not a story. If I were in a snarkier mood, I'd post that "It's barely a concept." line from Guardians of the Galaxy...but I do think there were interesting ideas there. The longer I went out from Minus, more I realized I didn't enjoy the chapter so much as I enjoyed what could have been. It could have been a solid, but different, story if it was given the time to build things up, establish characters, mood, setting, and just be a story. Things that came off as annoying to you as presented could have been so much more with the proper execution.

It's easy to see Minus as a tragedy because of what it is and what it replaces, and I can understand that. But I see Minus as a tragedy because of what it isn't and what it could have been. It COULD have been a great Bardock story...if it were given a chance to BE a story. Maybe one day it will be one. Maybe one day Toei will adapt Dragon Ball Minus the way they did Trunks the Story, and expand it out in some of the ways I mentioned, or other ways.

But for now, Minus is basically a few still images of a story we are teased, but never see. And that's terrible.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Mewzard wrote:Well, I posted some of this on Youtube, might as well put it more appropriately here (but with additions to complete my thought post finishing the video).

"I always viewed Dragon Ball Minus as Toriyama illustrating a checklist of story/character beats for a comic he felt too dead physically to do. Introduce Bardock doing Saiyan job of killing to take planets, Introduce Freeza's fear of Super Saiyans and bringing them together to wipe them out, show some of Saiyan civilization, show Bardock's relationship with his family to contrast his violent career, have Bardock grow suspicious at Freeza's odd request using his instincts, send son off to save him, etc.

Toriyama basically said just doing the one volume of Jaco nearly killed him. So it doesn't surprise me he didn't do more. Maybe in an alternate universe, we could have gotten a one volume Bardock manga exploring things in detail.

Honestly, I liked the idea of Bardock having some humanity in his love for his family even as he gave zero fucks at murdering innocent aliens (a nice contrast that lets him be a villain, but be one with a little depth). I also liked that Freeza planned out the death of the Saiyans, because it was a massive coincidence that all but four Saiyans happened to be on planet when he randomly decided to blow it up given the race were basically planet-conquering space pirates. I especially liked the idea of Bardock figuring out something was amiss rather than Psychic Powers telling him. Imagine in a full-length manga building up Bardock's suspicions, a slight doubt ballooning outward as the more he investigates, the more he realizes the truth, but everyone else just writes him off as paranoid without solid proof, so he saves his son the only way he can.

So much potential...but I suppose that's life. Not every idea gets the nurturing it needs to grow into something interesting."

You are 100% right in that Dragon Ball Minus is not a story. If I were in a snarkier mood, I'd post that "It's barely a concept." line from Guardians of the Galaxy...but I do think there were interesting ideas there. The longer I went out from Minus, more I realized I didn't enjoy the chapter so much as I enjoyed what could have been. It could have been a solid, but different, story if it was given the time to build things up, establish characters, mood, setting, and just be a story. Things that came off as annoying to you as presented could have been so much more with the proper execution.

It's easy to see Minus as a tragedy because of what it is and what it replaces, and I can understand that. But I see Minus as a tragedy because of what it isn't and what it could have been. It COULD have been a great Bardock story...if it were given a chance to BE a story. Maybe one day it will be one. Maybe one day Toei will adapt Dragon Ball Minus the way they did Trunks the Story, and expand it out in some of the ways I mentioned, or other ways.

But for now, Minus is basically a few still images of a story we are teased, but never see. And that's terrible.
To tell the truth, I don't think Minus is even a story worth expanding on. Even if they took the time to flesh out Bardock and Gine's characters, I can't imagine the story being held as highly as the original Bardock special. Outside of giving Toei an excuse to milk a character who's already been milked quite a bit (in addition to cramming in an appearance by Beerus, since he's in pretty much everything Dragon Ball related at this point), I don't think there's any reason to adapt Minus into its own animated special, especially now that it's 3-years old.

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

I... Can't... Really muster up much more than apathy for DB: Minus.

Not a bad exploration of what is legitimately irk-able about it though. I mean, as if you're really capable of providing anything less than good analysis. I think you'd have to try to do anything not at least intriguing.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 02, 2017 9:12 am

I completely forgot about Trunks: The Story, but yes, it also was very shallow, animated special was much, much better. Too bad Torishima or one of other assistants didn't told Toriyama, that he just sucks at writing prequels, maybe we wouldn't get Minus?

The only plus of those specials, is twist on Goku vs Vegeta rivalry, gonna repost my old topic "Twist in Goku vs Vegeta rivalry"

"By putting enough effort, low class can defeat elite"

Episode of Bardock completely changed my view in Goku rivalry, everytime Goku beat his rival, he outclass him later so much, they went "He is in different dimension now, no need to even try" and then..Vegeta appeared, proud Saiyan Prince, who refused to be beaten by "low-class trash" and everytime Goku surpassed him, he just kept training, even going as far, as sold his soul to devil, for more power. Even after he admitted "Kakarotto, you are truly No. 1" he kept training, and finally, at "F" Movie, he become Goku equal! Proud Saiyan Prince, thanks to his determination, managed to become as strong, as descendant of 1st Super Saiyan in history, Bardock! Ironically, both of them believe it is otherway around, if they someow someday managed to meet Bardock in Hell/Heaven, revelation might completely changed what both Goku and Vegeta believed their whole life! :shock:
Last edited by coola on Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Well, I posted some of this on Youtube, might as well put it more appropriately here (but with additions to complete my thought post finishing the video).

To tell the truth, I don't think Minus is even a story worth expanding on. Even if they took the time to flesh out Bardock and Gine's characters, I can't imagine the story being held as highly as the original Bardock special. Outside of giving Toei an excuse to milk a character who's already been milked quite a bit (in addition to cramming in an appearance by Beerus, since he's in pretty much everything Dragon Ball related at this point), I don't think there's any reason to adapt Minus into its own animated special, especially now that it's 3-years old.
Since was Minus well regarded?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am

I'm totally going to refer to poorly done versions of Goku as "Kal-Elrotto" now.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Since was Minus well regarded?

I never said it was. I was referring to the original Bardock special by Toei.

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Man, I cracked up when you said "Kal-Elrotto" XD XD

Great video, man. I really felt the sheer anger and venom you had when talking about the...."Story" of Dragon Ball Minus. I mean, I still think that it could still be salvaged (like making Gine a more interesting character, and maybe even the main character, IMO (please don't kill me....)), but man is this bonus chapter really full of crap. Like you, I'm also a little upset that Toriyama completely turned Goku's origin even more of a ripoff of Superman's. I mean, I love both Superman and Son Goku, but they are completely different characters aside from sharing some basic points in their origin (A planet is dying, baby from said planet was sent to Earth on a rocketship, becomes Earth's hero. The End.) There was really no need to change it just to make them even more similar. Also, not really a fan of Goku suddenly being a toddler instead of a baby when he came to Earth....and apparently wearing Saiyan armor when he met Grandpa Gohan (in that case, how does the whole ravine accident work now?) Yeah, aside from at least being happy to know who Goku's mom is, I think I'm just gonna ignore Minus from here on out....

(Though, the fanart I've seen of Bardock and Gine are kinda cute.....)