Fanmanga - Dragon Ball New Age

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Fanmanga - Dragon Ball New Age

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm

This is a Manga made by Malik666 of Deviant Art. The art is great, the story is good, and I think it is all around a good Fan Manga like DBM. You can read the Manga here

Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Fanmanga - Dragon Ball New Age

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Cool art, kinda wonky at times but good none the less. Only problem...another AF story?!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:45 pm

The art work looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of the whole "Another living Saiya-jin" story line in fan fictions. But this looks like it might be good. I believe the creator of this comic is also a member of this forums?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The art work looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of the whole "Another living Saiya-jin" story line in fan fictions. But this looks like it might be good. I believe the creator of this comic is also a member of this forums?
I am indeed! I'm never on here anymore but was pretty surprised to see that someone made a thread for my doujin

Yeah the whole problems with the art I'm actually correcting by re-drawing the "broken" panels, fixing the story/ dialogue, and filling them there plot holes. Lot of work but ppl like the renovations

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 pm

As a matter of fact, I'm currently re-drawing the earlier chapters of the comic (when the art was uneven, and not so good) alongside the Chapter Zero Prologue Chapter.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 am

Malik_DBNA wrote:As a matter of fact, I'm currently re-drawing the earlier chapters of the comic (when the art was uneven, and not so good) alongside the Chapter Zero Prologue Chapter.
Well I brought it up since we do talk occasionally on DA.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Well I brought it up since we do talk occasionally on DA.
Thanks for making this post though bro. I appreciate it :)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 am

Malik_DBNA wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Well I brought it up since we do talk occasionally on DA.
Thanks for making this post though bro. I appreciate it :)
Wanted people to see your Manga.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 am

Holy stromboli! Looks like there's a lot to get through. I'm looking forward to it.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 am

Just read the whole archive! It was fun, here's some reviews, please excuse my poor English.

Good:
-Aladjinn looks like a great idea, too many Dragonball stories are "who can shoot stronger beams." Hope he isn't a Baby copy.
-Amazing inking work.
-Not too much focus on Goku.
-Good job with the animation project, not too many fans would try for that. Good luck!

Bad:
-The tracing is very obvious at times. Now that you have many years of experience as an artist, you don't really need to do that anymore.
-Rigor's family are very generic looking; it will be very difficult to name or differentiate them, especially when they fight Earth Saiyins.
-SSj5 (and SSj6, 7, or anything beyond) is a very common idea with almost every DB fanfic.
I play baseball and work in LA.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

I remember him saying that he uses references and not tracing. I do find annoying that people always call out on tracing if something looks good. I can understand if it's something obvious like the other AF manga for example, but not everything that looks good is trace.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 pm

testing223 wrote:Just read the whole archive! It was fun, here's some reviews, please excuse my poor English.

Good:
-Aladjinn looks like a great idea, too many Dragonball stories are "who can shoot stronger beams." Hope he isn't a Baby copy.
-Amazing inking work.
-Not too much focus on Goku.
-Good job with the animation project, not too many fans would try for that. Good luck!

Bad:
-The tracing is very obvious at times. Now that you have many years of experience as an artist, you don't really need to do that anymore.
-Rigor's family are very generic looking; it will be very difficult to name or differentiate them, especially when they fight Earth Saiyins.
-SSj5 (and SSj6, 7, or anything beyond) is a very common idea with almost every DB fanfic.
Thanks for your views and reviews! I appreciate it!

*I will repeat that I never traced a line. I do heavily refrence, but not trace. I even openly state on my front page that I use refrences.
*I am doing some slight design tweaking with Masuran, Okrun, Korun, Tomaran. Selari is fine in my eyes.
*I realize that SSJ5 is a common idea in most fanfics, which is why I chose not to do any levels beyond it, and instead do the Ascended and True SSJ4 forms, and make SSJ5 the only other form. I'm also doing some ideas for further in the story.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm

For anyone interested, I started working on an animation for this comic as well. Only the first 28 seconds are done, but it can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48AYCvxrkXc

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Following the completion of the rewrites, the entire Rigor Saga will be available for private publishing and ownership, either through my dA account or at conventions.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 pm

There is no difference between heavy reference and tracing. The technique may not be similar, but result is the same.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 am

Apart from Bulma and Vegeta feeling a bit out of character, and the dialogue not feel quite Dragonball, this is really good! The art is excelletn and the fight between Vegeta and Vigor entertaining. I'm at chapter 3 now.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 am

The artwork is decent, but that's really all that this comic deserves praise for. It's Dragonball AF esque, simply being "strong dude appears and after just ONE fight, the arc is summed up". I feel as if this Rigor guy and his wife are basically Xicor and Princess Lila, too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it goes to show how unoriginal and predictable fanmangas are becoming. And giving Vegeta another brother just isn't a good idea; we already have Tarble. After that, some new villain shows up ... and Vegeta gets possessed YET AGAIN. Seriously, we've got ENOUGH of that. And I'm really tired of seeing Vegeta get riled up over and over again. Why can't Vegeta be like how he was before he got pwnt by Goku? Sure, he should be a hero now ... but I also want him to be a calm, collected mastermind like how he was before Goku smashed him up with the three fold Warlord Fist (that's my name for Kaioken :D ). That was the exact moment Vegeta became the character we all know today: a motivated, yet easily frustrated braggart.

And another thing, why the **** does Krillin have to die of old age? He wasn't even that old. So, Chi-Chi lives. Bulma lives. Mr. Satan lives. Yamcha lives. Tien lives. Roshi lives. But not Krillin. Huh. And we get ANOTHER set of Dragonballs? Just no. This comic blows. If only I could draw or had the motivation in making a fanfiction.
Last edited by Dr. Machismo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world's greatest.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am

Dr. Machismo wrote:The artwork is impressive, but that's really all that this comic deserves praise for. It's Dragonball AF esque, simply being "strong dude appears and after just ONE fight, the arc is summed up". I feel as if this Rigor guy and his wife are basically Xicor and Princess Lila, too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it goes to show how unoriginal and predictable fanmangas are becoming. And giving Vegeta another brother just isn't a good idea; we already have Tarble. After that, some new villain shows up ... and Vegeta gets possessed YET AGAIN. Seriously, we've got ENOUGH of that. And I'm really tired of seeing Vegeta get riled up over and over again. Why can't Vegeta be like how he was before he got pwnt by Goku? Sure, he should be a hero now ... but I also want him to be a calm, collected mastermind like how he was before Goku smashed him up with the three fold Warlord Fist (that's my name for Kaioken :D ). That was the exact moment Vegeta became the character we all know today: a motivated, yet easily frustrated braggart.

And another thing, why the **** does Krillin have to die of old age? He wasn't even that old. So, Chi-Chi lives. Bulma lives. Mr. Satan lives. Yamcha lives. Tenshinhan lives. Roshi lives. But not Krillin. Huh. And we get ANOTHER set of Dragonballs? Just no. This comic blows. If only I could draw or had the motivation in making a fanfiction.
Unless theres something wrong with the posted date this fan manga started in 2005. So long before Tarble and though Xicor has been around longer I'm guessing this is before a lot of the popular fan mangas. I can understand the other complaints but personally I like this.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am

dario03 wrote:
Dr. Machismo wrote:The artwork is impressive, but that's really all that this comic deserves praise for. It's Dragonball AF esque, simply being "strong dude appears and after just ONE fight, the arc is summed up". I feel as if this Rigor guy and his wife are basically Xicor and Princess Lila, too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it goes to show how unoriginal and predictable fanmangas are becoming. And giving Vegeta another brother just isn't a good idea; we already have Tarble. After that, some new villain shows up ... and Vegeta gets possessed YET AGAIN. Seriously, we've got ENOUGH of that. And I'm really tired of seeing Vegeta get riled up over and over again. Why can't Vegeta be like how he was before he got pwnt by Goku? Sure, he should be a hero now ... but I also want him to be a calm, collected mastermind like how he was before Goku smashed him up with the three fold Warlord Fist (that's my name for Kaioken :D ). That was the exact moment Vegeta became the character we all know today: a motivated, yet easily frustrated braggart.

And another thing, why the **** does Krillin have to die of old age? He wasn't even that old. So, Chi-Chi lives. Bulma lives. Mr. Satan lives. Yamcha lives. Tenshinhan lives. Roshi lives. But not Krillin. Huh. And we get ANOTHER set of Dragonballs? Just no. This comic blows. If only I could draw or had the motivation in making a fanfiction.
Unless theres something wrong with the posted date this fan manga started in 2005. So long before Tarble and though Xicor has been around longer I'm guessing this is before a lot of the popular fan mangas. I can understand the other complaints but personally I like this.
Oh, really? Hm. My bad. But the newer pages have been more recent, and they're still following the same bad story ideas.
The world's greatest.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote:The artwork is decent, but that's really all that this comic deserves praise for. It's Dragonball AF esque, simply being "strong dude appears and after just ONE fight, the arc is summed up". I feel as if this Rigor guy and his wife are basically Xicor and Princess Lila, too. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it goes to show how unoriginal and predictable fanmangas are becoming. And giving Vegeta another brother just isn't a good idea; we already have Tarble. After that, some new villain shows up ... and Vegeta gets possessed YET AGAIN. Seriously, we've got ENOUGH of that. And I'm really tired of seeing Vegeta get riled up over and over again. Why can't Vegeta be like how he was before he got pwnt by Goku? Sure, he should be a hero now ... but I also want him to be a calm, collected mastermind like how he was before Goku smashed him up with the three fold Warlord Fist (that's my name for Kaioken :D ). That was the exact moment Vegeta became the character we all know today: a motivated, yet easily frustrated braggart.

I thank you for complimenting the art. I do work hard on it. I'll try to ease a few things:

1) I started posting the comic in '05, but the original drafts were made in 2002, long long long before I even knew DBAF existed ( I found out about Toyble's AF in 2007). So, in this regard, I wasn't copying off AF, we simply coincidently had two characters in the first story arc. Mine were husband and wife, and Toyble's were mother and son. Can't be helped.
2) As stated by the other fellow, I made this manga long before Tarble was created. However, since Tarble was not created by Akira Toriyama, it was easy to write him out as completely non-existant.
3) Kuririn dying isn't too far off what can be expected when someone is abnormally short. Though some live to normal lifespans, typically short individuals don't live as long as average sized humans. Also, Mr. Satan DID die, and a lot of the rest of the cast you mentioned probably won't see the end of the series either.
4) Vegeta, if you haven't noticed, is a big piece of focus in my series. He's finally caught up to Goku in terms of power, and the first story arc (Rigor Saga) was all about his misdeeds of the past coming back to haunt him. He's going to play an integral role throughout the rest of the series, and will take on more of a hero role. The reason I had him be possessed was something I had written back in this story's original draft, and I didn't want to re-write it. I'm sorry. But it was necessary to remove him AND Goku from the second arc to allow Gohan and Trunks to start stepping up.
5) Though the Rigor Saga did indeed end, leaving Rigor alive opens up a lot of possibilities, as he is now a constant threat.

If you're still not into my comic, I do apologize. I can't please everyone. I'm doing my best, and this is how I wanted my series to go.